PDA

View Full Version : Yet another explanation of my large file sizes....

DRU
10-22-2005, 05:27 PM
I keep getting questions about why my files are so large. I'm going to explain one last time what the scenario is and if you don't like it, DON'T DOWNLOAD THEM.

As I've said many times, I do these clips for my own personal archives. I don't have a DVD player myself, I have my TV's connected to my computer. They are wide screen high def TV's, and as such, they need a high resolution video in order to look good on them. I for one, don't like blocky video.

This is why I edit all my videos to be 640x480 (4:3) or 640x352 (16:9) resolution. This still isn't as high as I'd like to go, but my capture card won't go any higher than DVD (720x480).

In order to get a crisp picture at that high of a resolution you have to encode with a higher bitrate. Higher bitrate means larger file size. If I were to encode a 640x352 res. video at 1000kbit/sec bitrate it would look ass! Now, if I were to make a video at, say, 320x240, I could probably go as low as 400kbit or 500kbit bitrate and it would look fine...on a small computer screen. If you tried to watch this type of video stretched across a big screen TV it's not gonna look good at all.

Same goes for those of you that are encoding these back to DVD in order to play them in your standard players (I still say you should get a Divx certified player and you wouldn't have to go through all that.) Anyway, when you convert from Divx to DVD you lose quality regardless, but even more so if the original was smaller than 720x480. 640x480 doesn't lose much, but going smaller does nothing but make it worse.

This is where VCD and SVCD came into play...they could play on DVD players at smaller resolutions, but still, if you play these on a big screen TV it's not gonna look very good at all.

This day in age, with the help of BitTorrent technology, there's no reason at all IMO to be dealing with shitty lookin video. Many of you complain that 4GB files take too long or are simply too big or whatever. I download 8GB and larger videos a lot and they don't take me longer than a day or 2 at the most. Why? Because they have about 100 seeders! That's the key.

If we could maintain a 1:1 (minimum) ratio of seeders to downloads (after the first wave gets done, of course) I don't think anybody would be aggrivated by it. the first wave even goes relatively quick because there are so many peers sharing with each at once. Thing is, once you're all done you close out. (Again, I do thank those of you that do help.) At this point anybody who tries to jump on has me and maybe 1 or 2 other people to download from instead of the 15 or 16 or more at a time.

Does this not make sense? I don't understand why nobody understands my methods.

Count Zarth
10-22-2005, 05:29 PM
People whining should shut up. We're getting DVD quality Chiefs games for free.

|Zach|
10-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Who cares. I love quality.

KC Jones
10-22-2005, 05:34 PM
I love that your caps are such high quality and that you're sharing them with all of us. No whinning on this end.

morphius
10-22-2005, 05:34 PM
People whining should shut up. We're getting DVD quality Chiefs games for free.
I'm going to have agree completely. He could give us smaller size, but then people would be bitching that the vids windows are too small and that its choppy.

DRU - Just keep up the good work and ignore those who can't seem to do anything but whine about things they get for free.

Fried Meat Ball!
10-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Those of us downloading and seeding really appreciate your efforts, DRU.

You da man! :thumb:

ZootedGranny
10-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Keep it up, DRU. And **** all of you chuckleheads that quit seeding once you get the entire file. May you catch fire in your sleep.

Count Zarth
10-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Just think how large the file size would be if DRU didn't cut out all the commercials and crap.

Count Zarth
10-22-2005, 05:41 PM
I just ordered another spindle of DVD+R's from newegg. I've got too much Chiefs crap on my hard drives. ROFL

KC Jones
10-22-2005, 05:48 PM
It's not the size of the file that counts, but how you use it. At least, that what all the guys with floppies say.

:eek:

Dub
10-23-2005, 02:42 AM
DRU, I feel your pain. When I record the game on my computer the files usually come out in the 6-7 gig range, and the quality is about the same as the stuff I download from you.

So, I have to ask. What kind of capture card and software do you use? I have a hauppage 150 and then use SageTV with Nvidia purevideo encoding.

DRU
10-23-2005, 02:49 AM
What kind of capture card and software do you use?

I have an ATI x850xt card. I capture using HuffyYUV lossless codec that usually ends up between 80-100GB for the entire game. I then encode this to Divx with a bitrate calculated to fit on a DVD+R disc.

The last couple games I've done I've actually just used the Divx Home Theater profile which only allows a maximum bitrate of 4Mbit/sec. This is why the file sizes for the past couple games have been a little smaller. I haven't decided yet whether I like this better or not.