PDA

View Full Version : McGahee - I'm the best RB in the NFL

Douche Baggins
10-22-2005, 07:28 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/10/22/SPGOKFCEK31.DTL

:rolleyes:

Willis McGahee knows all about LaDainian Tomlinson's impressive go-for-the-cycle performance last week against the 1-4 Raiders. How the Chargers running back, who ran for a touchdown, caught for another and even threw a touchdown pass in last week's rout, already has 652 yards rushing on 133 attempts through Week 6.

In McGahee's mind, there is no comparison between him and Tomlinson.

"I'm the best back,'' the Buffalo Bills starter said this week. "Case closed.''

Truth is, McGahee has five more carries and 48 less rushing yards than Tomlinson, making him the NFL's fifth most productive running back as the 3-3 Bills head into Sunday's contest against the 1-4 Raiders at the Coliseum.

If will and strength of mind factor into the equation, McGahee might have a valid point.

He sweated and worked to recover after three ligaments in his left knee were torn in his final college game at Miami, the Jan. 2003 Orange Bowl national championship contest. The Bills took a chance and made him a first-round draft pick, allowed him to sit out the season to rehab, then made him a permanent starter ahead of veteran Travis Henry in '04, a move that sparked the Bills from an 0-4 start to a 9-7 finish.

It was last season's revival that prompted the supremely confident McGahee to have a message tattooed on the back of his neck: "Guess Who's Back".

McGahee said the adversity is part of what drives him to be the best.

"Oh, yeah, your character, your heart, and I've got a very strong mind, so I'm not going to let anything bring me down,'' said the second-year back, who turned 24 on Friday and has posted rushing touchdowns in each of Buffalo's last four games.

Is McGahee better than Tomlinson?

"I'm not even getting into that one. That one I'm going to leave (alone),'' said Bills coach Mike Mularkey, who has turned his offense over to McGahee and veteran quarterback Kelly Holcomb. "I'm never going to compare players. No players. Never will do that."

This week, McGahee emphasized his importance to his team -- Buffalo is 9-1 when he rushes for 100 or more yards -- by running around the practice field in Orchard Park, N.Y., on Wednesday, smacking himself with an imaginary riding crop after scoring a TD in a drill.

"I'm a workhorse, a fine breed!'' McGahee said. "You're not going to find too many like this.''

Mularkey believes his running back is stronger than he was in 2004, when McGahee finished with 1,128 rushing yards -- second-most in franchise history for a first-year running back -- and amassed over 100 yards in seven of his 11 starts.

"With Willis, it's two different years -- one year, he's still coming back from an injury where he was still testing it and he hadn't been tackled in a couple of years. He was still feeling his way through holes in training camp,'' Mularkey said. "This year, without Travis Henry here, he came in and knew he was the starter.

"He came in here with some confidence in his health. And I think the health thing made his offseason workouts even better. I think he's stronger and faster."

Crush
10-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Someone sick Ohio State's defense on him!!!!

4th and Long
Cluebag.

listopencil
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=32371

Demonpenz
10-22-2005, 07:34 PM
i bet priest thinks he's the best. He just doesn't say it aloud

milkman
10-22-2005, 07:36 PM
i bet priest thinks he's the best. He just doesn't say it aloud

Just one more reason to be happy to have that man wearing Chiefs red.

Halfcan
10-22-2005, 08:29 PM
I would take Priest any day. Big backs like that burn out from too many hits. He should of tattoed Dumbass on his back.

Mecca
10-22-2005, 09:51 PM
There is nothing wrong with Willis McGahee thinking he's the best RB in the NFL. What's he suppose to say? I don't think it would be a good demeanor to say "well I'm about 5th".

As far as the big back thing goes....Willis McGahee is not Eddie George. He has speed, he has moves, he's not just some big battering ram back. For the record, Larry Johnsons bigger than McGahee is.

Maybe he is the best back for all we know. He's having a pretty damn good year behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. Not many backs could have any success behind what he's running behind.

Bowser
10-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Isn't it a rule that all players that come from THE U are the best ever?

Dunit35
10-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Isn't it a rule that all players that come from THE U are the best ever?

Yep, cept for Winslow Jr.

CoMoChief
10-23-2005, 12:51 AM
RB's that are better than McGahee (not in any particular order)....

Priest Holmes
Larry Johnson
LaDanian Tomlinson
Shaun Alexander
Steven Jackson
Brian Westbrook
Julian Jones
Clinton Portis
Tiki Barber
Edgerrin James
Domanick Davis
Fred Taylor (when healthy)
Curtis Martin
Corey Dillon
Jamal Lewis (when healthy)
Ahman Green
Kevin Jones
Warrick Dunn
Duece McAllister

Sportswax
10-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Far be it from me to mock anyone...but...
in the words of the infamous Kali-4-knee-uh "goober"natorial candidate, Gary Coleman...
... ? well, y'know... sorry... I can't bring myself to make such an obvious commentary.

Sportswax
10-23-2005, 12:59 AM
On 2nd thought...

"What you talkin' about, Willis?!?"

Joe Seahawk
10-23-2005, 01:08 AM
Bills | McGahee Wants to be the Best
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:02:15 -0700

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills RB Willis McGahee has one goal - to be the best running back in the NFL. "I want to be the best back in the NFL," McGahee said Wednesday, Oct. 19. "There's only one thing on my mind right now, and that's leading the NFL and going after one guy, that's Shaun Alexander, he's on top." Entering Sunday's game, Oct. 23, against the Oakland Raiders, the Bills have clearly defined their offensive focus: It's McGahee. He has 138 carries, more than any other back except for Indianapolis Colts RB Edgerrin James, who has 142. McGahee said he thinks his speed is improving. "Oh yeah, most definitely. I feel it's coming back. It's coming back slowly. I worked hard in the offseason. I knew it was going to pay off. It's coming."

Joe Seahawk
10-23-2005, 01:15 AM

Priest Holmes
Larry Johnson
LaDanian Tomlinson
Shaun Alexander
Steven Jackson
Brian Westbrook
Julian Jones
Clinton Portis
Tiki Barber
Edgerrin James
Domanick Davis
Curtis Martin
Corey Dillon
Ahman Green
Kevin Jones
Warrick Dunn
Duece McAllister

I love how you have Priest and Larry ranked above Alexander and Tomlinson..Not to say Priest might be better, but it just smacks of such homerism...And I'm all for that so don't take it as an insult.. You da man..

**EDIT** I'm kinda buzzed, it took me a minute to see the no particular order note..

:banghead: Sorry

Sportswax
10-23-2005, 01:18 AM
That's all well and good, but McGay-he hasn't earned that mantle by a long shot.

PRIEST HOLMES will overcome. I have faith, even though he's sharing the workload with L.J. Hell, even Larry's better than Willis in my world. I'd have thought Joe Seahawk would be praising Alexander a little stronger. Willis is a legend in his own mind.

Fishpicker
10-23-2005, 01:40 AM
let's ask him 4 years from now. Priest is still setting records

Miles
10-23-2005, 02:01 AM
Talent wise i think he might be the #2 Rb. He may not be doing the best by talking to tjhe media this way.

Mecca
10-23-2005, 02:33 AM

Priest Holmes
Larry Johnson
LaDanian Tomlinson
Shaun Alexander
Steven Jackson
Brian Westbrook
Julian Jones
Clinton Portis
Tiki Barber
Edgerrin James
Domanick Davis
Curtis Martin
Corey Dillon
Ahman Green
Kevin Jones
Warrick Dunn
Duece McAllister

There is no way in hell all of those guys are better than Willis Mcgahee is.

Holmes-yes
Larry Johnson-not at this point in time, it's not proven
Tomlinson-yes
Alexander-yes
Steven Jackson-no way in hell
Brian Westbrook-as a reciever he's better as a runningback he's not
Julius Jones-about even
Clinton Portis-when he's not in Denver no
Tiki Barber-I'd rate them about even
Edgerrin James-yes
Domanick Davis-no, he's an average NFL back nothing special
Fred Taylor-maybe 5 years ago, and old fragile Fred is a horrible goalline back scoring 2 TD's a year doesn't impress me.
Curtis Martin-at this stage of his career, no
Corey Dillon-have you seen him this year?
Jamal Lewis-same thing have you seen him this year, he's not injured and not looking good
Ahman Green-he's having a very down year, at this point I'll say even but Mcgahee is about to pass him.
Kevin Jones-No way no how, Jones is in a better offense with a better line and his stats are way worse.
Dunn-he's not better he's just playing in the Denver cut block scheme
Deuce McAllister- I think they are about even at this time, Deuce has injury problems right now.

So really not that many of those backs are better than Mcgahee is. He's a top 10 back in the NFL.