PDA

View Full Version : WOW just WOW check out Jimmy Hendrix on Winamp.com

MadMax
10-23-2005, 01:36 AM
sorry to post off topic but go yo winamp.com and check out videos,classic rock and watch Mr. Hendrix dazzle you with his guitar playin.. :) especially towards the end, just ficken amazing!!! I'm 45 years old and this is the first time I've ever seen this.. :shake:

StcChief
10-23-2005, 08:01 AM
How did you get thru 70s the seeing a young Guitar Master. Too bad he died so young.

StcChief
10-23-2005, 08:02 AM
A piece of Trivia on Hendrix.

Good friends with Carl Palmer almost joined ELP, that would have been a different sound the ELP.

headsnap
10-23-2005, 08:16 AM
A piece of Trivia on Hendrix.

Good friends with Carl Palmer almost joined ELP, that would have been a different sound the ELP.
would that have been HELP? :shrug:

Ari Chi3fs
10-23-2005, 08:42 AM
JIMI, dumbass.

FloridaChief
10-23-2005, 08:45 AM
would that have been HELP? :shrug:

Heh...

"A lot of the early days were spent talking and sniffing things out." Keith Emerson told RCD Magazine, in July, 1992. "Greg was into things like Simon & Garfunkel, but he also had a classical music collection that impressed me no end."

Several drummers were considered, spoken to, and/or auditioned; among them: Coliseum's Jon Hiseman, Cream's Ginger Baker, and Mitch Mitchell from The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

It was Mitchell, whom Lake and Emerson believed had the most potential, and though Emerson wanted to keep the project a keyboard-bass-drums trio, there was serious talks to add Jimi Hendrix to the line up.

"Yeah, that story is indeed true, to some degree." says Lake. "Mitch Mitchell had told Jimi about us and he said he wanted to explore the idea. Even after Mitch was long out of the picture and we had already settled on Carl, talk about working with Jimi continued. We were supposed to get together and jam with him around August or September of 1970, but he died before we could put it together."

The rumors of the potential band with Hendrix did leak out to the British music press, who began running articles saying the band would be called "Hendrix, Emerson, Lake & Palmer" or HELP, for short.

It was Cream's manager, Robert Stigwood, who suggested Carl Palmer, a 20 year old drummer who had worked with Atomic Rooster and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown (remember the 1968 hit, "Fire"?).

Link (http://www.emersonlakepalmer.com/bio.html)

ZepSinger
10-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Hendrix. The sole reason I picked up a guitar. He is/was a god.

bringbackmarty
10-23-2005, 11:15 AM
he almost was going to work with miles davis, that would have changed the face of jazz for sure. I think miles was into it, and hendrix wasn't, but then right before he died, he changed his mind.

Ari Chi3fs
10-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Hendrix music inspires we weekly. I listen to his shit all the time. Im a big fan of Band of Gypsys, the first real All Black Rock Band.

I wish Jimi had lived longer so that he would have continued to inspire black musicians to pick up a guitar. In my opinion, nearly all of the great guitarist have been black.

Its a shame they are almost extinct.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-23-2005, 12:54 PM
jimi was the best,

Fishpicker
10-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Hendrix music inspires we weekly. I listen to his shit all the time. Im a big fan of Band of Gypsys, the first real All Black Rock Band.

I wish Jimi had lived longer so that he would have continued to inspire black musicians to pick up a guitar. In my opinion, nearly all of the great guitarist have been black.

Its a shame they are almost extinct.

too true. I still listen to Band of Gypsies on a daily basis. "machine gun" still gives me goosebumps every time i hear it.

ZepSinger
10-23-2005, 03:57 PM
too true. I still listen to Band of Gypsies on a daily basis. "machine gun" still gives me goosebumps every time i hear it.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/mauseeqi/blogpics/Jimi_Hendrix_Band_Of_Gypsys.jpg

KILLER album. Fav cut- 'Who Knows'

StcChief
10-23-2005, 04:09 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/mauseeqi/blogpics/Jimi_Hendrix_Band_Of_Gypsys.jpg

KILLER album. Fav cut- 'Who Knows'

Great LP. Downloaded a bit-torrent of CD from torrentspy.com

Replacing alot of my old LPs this way.

alpha_omega
10-23-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm on it...

JimNasium
10-23-2005, 04:57 PM
I know a lot of you like Jimi but the real question is can you hear Jimi?

penchief
10-23-2005, 05:05 PM
I'm with you on Hendrix. I was made for 1970.

On a similar note, just today I got goose bumps and was brought to tears watching a couple of live clips of Janis Joplin performing on a 2003 documentary film about Joplin, The Band, Grateful Dead, etc. traveling accross Canada on a train tour. Man, that was an inspiring film. I caught it about one-third the way through and can't even remember what the name of it was.

But I'll tell you this; it reminded me of what music is all about. And those clips of Joplin gave me a greater respect for what it was that made her great. Both her and Hendrix were pure. Hendrix with his guitar and Joplin with her voice. Both were pure rock and roll. Not only was Joplin's voice inspirational but watching her every move on stage leaves no doubt that she was the real thing. She is one of the most artistically and emotionally honest artists of any era, IMO.

I got back from shopping about an hour ago after looking for the Janis Joplin anthology with the most live recordings I could find.

JimNasium
10-23-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm with you on Hendrix. I was made for 1970.

On a similar note, just today I got goose bumps and was brought to tears watching a couple of live clips of Janis Joplin performing on a 2003 documentary film about Joplin, The Band, Grateful Dead, etc. traveling accross Canada on a train tour. Man, that was an inspiring film. I caught it about one-third the way through and can't even remember what the name of it was.

But I'll tell you this; it reminded me of what music is all about. And those clips of Joplin gave me a greater respect for what it was that made her great. Both her and Hendrix were pure. Hendrix with his guitar and Joplin with her voice. Both were pure rock and roll. Not only was Joplin's voice inspirational but watching her every move on stage leaves no doubt that she was the real thing. She is one of the most artistically and emotionally honest artists of any era, IMO.

I got back from shopping about an hour ago after looking for the Janis Joplin anthology with the most live recordings I could find.
Nice post but I gotta disagree with you on one minor point. Joplin and Hendrix were pure blues not pure rock and roll.

ZepSinger
10-23-2005, 05:33 PM

Hear him now- at his finest.

Woodstock solo (http://www.lewerke.com/solos/hendrix_solo.ram)(requires RealPlayer)

I've played guitar for 35 years and I still can't figure out some of this lick... :rockon:

penchief
10-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Nice post but I gotta disagree with you on one minor point. Joplin and Hendrix were pure blues not pure rock and roll.

Since I am also a great blues fan I can't disagree with your premise. Rock and Roll has it's roots firmly planted in the blues. However, Joplin and Hendrix were rock and roll pioneers because they took the blues and gave it a unique edge that defined late 60's, early 70's rock; they gave it a soulfullness that will never be duplicated.

Joplin's vocals are pure blues but her moves on stage and her band's music are both unadulterated rock and roll, IMO.

alpha_omega
10-23-2005, 05:44 PM

Or better yet...can you feel what you hear?

JimNasium
10-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Since I am also a great blues fan I can't disagree with your premise. Rock and Roll has it's roots firmly planted in the blues. However, Joplin and Hendrix were rock and roll pioneers because they took the blues and gave it a unique edge that defined late 60's, early 70's rock; they gave it a soulfullness that will never be duplicated.

Joplin's vocals are pure blues but her moves on stage and her band's music are both unadulterated rock and roll, IMO.
Probably just a difference in semantics although when I hear Joplin I hear Big Momma Thornton and when I hear Jimi I hear Albert King. I had this discussion with JennyGump the other day and she was telling me that Janis considered herself to be a blues singer rather than a rock and roll star. I am guessing (although alpha omega may correct me) that Hendrix considered himself to be a blues guitarists rather than a rock and roller.

penchief
10-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Probably just a difference in semantics although when I hear Joplin I hear Big Momma Thornton and when I hear Jimi I hear Albert King. I had this discussion with JennyGump the other day and she was telling me that Janis considered herself to be a blues singer rather than a rock and roll star. I am guessing (although alpha omega may correct me) that Hendrix considered himself to be a blues guitarists rather than a rock and roller.

I'll concede on this argument only because I am a blues lover and I believe that without the blues or Hank Williams their would be no Rock and Roll. I also agree that the music of Joplin and Hendrix was immersed in the blues. And I would never dispute their views about their own music. However, they had as much to do with defining Rock music in the late sixties and early seventies as anyone did. And that era was probably the most definitive era in Rock and Roll, IMO.

MadMax
10-23-2005, 08:45 PM
How did you get thru 70s the seeing a young Guitar Master. Too bad he died so young.

I listened to a lot just never saw any vids, just bits and pieces here and there.LOL Too young to go to concerts or I'da been there! :) Watching some of that stuff just sends chills down the spine. :clap: Yes it is a shame. :(

stevieray
10-23-2005, 09:11 PM

When I hear jimnasium, I hear Eric Clapton.

JimNasium
10-23-2005, 09:12 PM
When I hear jimnasium, I hear Eric Clapton.
ROFL When I see stevieray I see Elvis.

stevieray
10-23-2005, 09:14 PM
ROFL When I see stevieray I see Elvis.

who kicked the door wide open with 'that's alright mama', written for....

:harumph:

JimNasium
10-23-2005, 09:16 PM
who kicked the door wide open with 'that's alright mama', written for....

:harumph:You the man stevie, you the man!

Fishpicker
10-23-2005, 11:00 PM
I listened to a lot just never saw any vids, just bits and pieces here and there.LOL Too young to go to concerts or I'da been there! :) Watching some of that stuff just sends chills down the spine. :clap: Yes it is a shame. :(

you should check out "Jimi Hendrix : Live at The Isle of Wight" on DVD. thats a very good concert. almost the whole concert was captured on film. it's still 10 songs though.