PDA

View Full Version : New Tropical Storm Sets Record

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 05:58 AM
This hurricane season has convinced me NEVER to live in the coast. :shake:

Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in Caribbean
Sets Record Most Names Storms in Atlantic Hurricane Season

MIAMI (Oct. 22) - Tropical Storm Alpha formed Saturday in the Caribbean, setting the record for the most named storms in an Atlantic hurricane season and marking the first time forecasters had to turn to the Greek alphabet for names.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0d/05/20051022193809990001
A satellite image shows Hurricane Wilma battering Mexico's coast and Tropical
Storm Alpha growing near Puerto Rico.

The previous record of 21 named storms had stood since 1933. Alpha was the 22nd to reach tropical storm strength this year, and the season doesn't end until Nov. 30.

At 11 p.m. EDT, Alpha had sustained winds near 50 mph, the National Hurricane Center said. It was moving northwest near 14 mph and centered about 55 miles south-southwest of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic.

Tropical storm warnings were in place for Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and the Turks and Caicos islands and the southeastern Bahamas. Alpha was expected to hit the Dominican Republican early Sunday, but forecasters say it wasn't expected to threaten the United States.

Since 1995, the Atlantic has been in a period of higher hurricane activity, a cycle expected to last at least another 10 years.

Scientists say the cause of the increase is a rise in ocean temperatures and a decrease in the amount of disruptive vertical wind shear that rips hurricanes apart.

The busy seasons are part of a natural cycle that can last for at least 20 years, and sometimes 40 to 50, forecasters at the hurricane center say. The current conditions, they say, are similar to those in the 1950s and 60s.

The U.S. Gulf Coast has been battered this year by Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Dennis - and Wilma is expected next. It had sustained winds of about 100 mph as it moved over the Yucatan Peninsula on Saturday and was expected to turn shed by a strong wind current, and approach southern Florida on Monday. A hurricane watch was in effect for the state's entire southern peninsula.

Wilma was the last on the list of 21 storm names for 2005; the letters q, u, x, y and z are skipped. The Greek alphabet provides a continuation of that list but had never been used in six decades of regularly naming Atlantic storms.

At 11 p.m. EDT, Wilma had maximum sustained winds near 100 mph. It was located about 50 miles north of Cancun, Mexico, or about 375 miles west-southwest of Key West, Fla.

HemiEd
10-23-2005, 06:04 AM
Putting up with cold winters can have some advantages.............but about February I will have forgotten them.

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Putting up with cold winters can have some advantages.............but about February I will have forgotten them.
Even after living in Missouri for over 40 years, I'm not a fan of the cold myself. However, I will happily take some cold and snow over getting blasted with multiple hurricanes, flooding, homes being destroyed, unsafe drinking water, and floating dead bodies in my neighborhood, just to name a few.

HemiEd
10-23-2005, 06:33 AM
Even after living in Missouri for over 40 years, I'm not a fan of the cold myself. However, I will happily take some cold and snow over getting blasted with multiple hurricanes, flooding, homes being destroyed, unsafe drinking water, and floating dead bodies in my neighborhood, just to name a few.

Yep. I got my Nephew a job running our facility down in Ft. Lauderdale a few years back. Not sure now I did him any favors. Fortunately my daughter is up in Tallahassee, I guess it is not too bad there.

Braincase
10-23-2005, 06:51 AM
Per Chiefsplanet regulations, all hurricane photos must be presented in the microwave range to demonstrate the secret Japanese mafia weapons that are creating them.

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 07:28 AM
I'm watching the news and they are interviewing Florida residents regarding hurricane Wilma. This chick shrugs it off and says, "I haven't even boarded up my windows yet. It's just another storm."

Just another storm? OOOOOOK. It's statements like this one that make me have a hard time feeling sorry for these folks. They treat hurricanes like they are no big deal. Makes me want to tie one of them to my tree during tornado season so I can say, "Meh. It's just another storm. You'll be fine."

The reporter goes on to say that attitudes like the one mentioned above are a result of "hurricane stress syndrome."

What? Is that really a mental affliction? If so, why haven't I heard of it until now?

Mecca
10-23-2005, 07:33 AM
I guess when you get use to something happening it doesn't bother you as much. When the Tornado Siren goes off around here, I don't think much of it. When the news guys interupt on TV and talk about bad weather and tornadoes I usually just flip the station and think nothing of it.

I guess after awhile you become desensitized to things.

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 07:43 AM
I guess when you get use to something happening it doesn't bother you as much. When the Tornado Siren goes off around here, I don't think much of it. When the news guys interupt on TV and talk about bad weather and tornadoes I usually just flip the station and think nothing of it.

I guess after awhile you become desensitized to things.
I'm going to tie you to my tree this summer. :D

Mecca
10-23-2005, 08:01 AM

I don't think I'd enjoy being tied to a tree....... On a side note 1 year the Siren went off and a bunch of people in my neighborhood, me included, went outside and looked around.

GMitch
10-23-2005, 08:17 AM
I was at some meetings several years ago on the West Coast and I asked a local if it bothered him to live in an earthquake zone. He commented that they only get earthquakes every 20 years or so but I lived in Oklahoma where we get several tornados each year! Thinking about it, he was right, we get used to whatever situation we're in. I lived in Duluth Minnisota for a couple of years and got used to the idea of 25 below temperatures.

(I don't ignore the sirens but I don't get excited either. If there's one close, I'll go outside and watch. But I can be in the storm shelter in about 10 seconds.)

munkey
10-23-2005, 09:33 AM
The reporter goes on to say that attitudes like the one mentioned above are a result of "hurricane stress syndrome."

You've got to be fkm......

Sounds made up to me...

Phobia
10-23-2005, 09:42 AM

Perv

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 09:46 AM
You've got to be fkm......

Sounds made up to me...
Dead serious. It made me think about what other "syndromes" are out there, just waiting to be named.

"Minimal Greenback Syndrome" - For the poor.

"Inflated Petrol Syndrome" - An excuse to kill people at the pump.

"Intolerable Cashier Syndrome" - Will they ever teach these kids to count back change correctly?

"Outrageous n00b Syndrome" - Just to make their life hell. It's also Skip's reason for living.

"The Sky Is Falling Syndrome" - For most of this board after a Chiefs loss.

"Small Market Syndrome" - David Glass says it's the reason he can't put a winning team on the field or put butts in seats.

"Downtown Stadium Syndrome" - Keitzman has a terminal case.

The list is endless and I'd post more but I'm currently suffering from "Brain Cramp Syndrome."

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Perv
Jealous

Simplex3
10-23-2005, 10:04 AM
OH noes!!!1!1!!! GLobal WarMing!!!!

What did they do in 1933 to stem the tide of global warming and lessen the storms the next year?

Cntrygal
10-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Are there any sensitive posters from the N.O.'s area on this site?

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Are there any sensitive posters from the N.O.'s area on this site?
Probably, but dont't let that stop you from posting something tasteless. Everyone else does.

Cntrygal
10-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Probably, but dont't let that stop you from posting something tasteless. Everyone else does.

I've been attempting to be more P.C. :banghead:

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 12:03 PM
I've been attempting to be more P.C.
What!!!? We won't tolerate that shit around here, missy!!!

Cntrygal
10-23-2005, 12:09 PM
What!!!? We won't tolerate that shit around here, missy!!!

Thank God. It's been killing me.

I wish all these frickin hurricanes would just go back and slam N.O.'s and the Gulf Port region until these idiots (government) would refuse to keep throwing money into the area.

HELLO!!!!!!!

It's below sea level - in GOOD weather! IDIOTS! Take the money that you don't deserve and start over somewhere else. OR... at the very least - don't expect sympathy or more money when another storm wipes out what you haven't completely rebuilt yet.

I was down there in Jan and Feb at Keesler AFB. Keesler was wiped out and they are talking about rebuilding! WTF????? IDIOTS! They've been closing and realigning bases all over - but lets rebuild one that is below sea level???? STUPID ****ERS!!!!!

:cuss:

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 12:13 PM
I bet you feel better after getting that off your chest, don't you? :D

Cntrygal
10-23-2005, 12:21 PM
A bit. :D

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 12:24 PM
A bit. :D
Good! ROFL

Anything else you want to get off your chest as long as you're here? The price of gasoline? Racial profiling? The weather? Your shirt and bra?

:p :p :p

Cntrygal
10-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Good! ROFL

Anything else you want to get off your chest as long as you're here? The price of gasoline? Racial profiling? The weather? Your shirt and bra?

:p :p :p

Not right now... but I suppose this would be a good time to go get dressed. I can't go to the bar like this - I might get arrested. :p

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Not right now... but I suppose this would be a good time to go get dressed. I can't go to the bar like this - I might get arrested. :p
:drool:

Tease!!!

Coach
10-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Hey, get a room you two. :p

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Hey, get a room you two. :p
Dude, she can pass for Nichole Kidmans sister. Shaddup. :p

Cntrygal
10-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Dude, she can pass for Nichole Kidmans sister. Shaddup. :p

Hey - I thought you weren't going to tell! :shake:

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Hey - I thought you weren't going to tell! :shake:
Errr ... I mean ... she looks like the Bride of Frankenstein. No way I'd get a room with her.

Happy now?

Cntrygal
10-23-2005, 12:45 PM
:D

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 12:48 PM
:D
That's better. :)

When ya headed to the bar and what time will you be by to pick me up? ;)

chiefs4me
10-23-2005, 01:29 PM
hmmm...I am trying to get my husband to move us farther south...50 freaking degrees here today....:banghead:

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 01:37 PM
hmmm...I am trying to get my husband to move us farther south...50 freaking degrees here today....:banghead:
BooFugginHoo. It was in the 30's here this morning and no one here is complaining. You Puss.

Coach
10-23-2005, 01:46 PM
BooFugginHoo. It was in the 30's here this morning and no one here is complaining. You Puss.

:clap:

She think that it was that bad? Try waking up 5:30 in the focking morning to go to work while temps are at 0-10 degrees.

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 01:50 PM
:clap:

She think that it was that bad? Try waking up 5:30 in the focking morning to go to work while temps are at 0-10 degrees.
No shit. Add some snow/ice and a frozen car door into the mix. Until then, she can shut her fugging cake hole. I swear to God when she "attention whore" posts like this, I wish I was a woman for 30 seconds so I could kick her right square in the baby maker.

chiefs4me
10-23-2005, 02:01 PM

ROFL......really, so I didn't read any posts with complaints against the people living on the coast.....ROFL

chiefs4me
10-23-2005, 02:04 PM
No shit. Add some snow/ice and a frozen car door into the mix. Until then, she can shut her fugging cake hole. I swear to God when she "attention whore" posts like this, I wish I was a woman for 30 seconds so I could kick her right square in the baby maker.

ROFL.........One post on this thread and its trying to get attention?ROFL

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 02:06 PM
ROFL......really, so I didn't read any posts with complaints against the people living on the coast.....ROFL
Do you actually read what you type before you hit submit? Apparently not. The only place your post makes any sense is in your empty fugging head.

4th and Long
10-23-2005, 02:10 PM
ROFL.........One post on this thread and its trying to get attention?ROFL
You bet! You have no legitimate complaint.

50 degrees is not cold. Neither ice nor snow will form in 50 degree temps. Its 18 degrees too high to be considered freezing.

"I am trying to get my husband to move us farther south...50 freaking degrees here today." Is nothing more than, "HEY! LOOK AT ME! I KNOW 50 DEGREES ISN'T COLD BUT HEY! LOOK AT ME ANYWAY!"

chiefs4me
10-23-2005, 02:14 PM
You bet! You have no legitimate complaint.

50 degrees is not cold. Neither ice nor snow will form in 50 degree temps. Its 18 degrees too high to be considered freezing.

"I am trying to get my husband to move us farther south...50 freaking degrees here today." Is nothing more than, "HEY! LOOK AT ME! I KNOW 50 DEGREES ISN'T COLD BUT HEY! LOOK AT ME ANYWAY!"

ROFL