PDA

View Full Version : Student dies in goalpost celebration

Deberg_1990
10-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Wow...this is the first ive ever heard of something like this. Unfortunate....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051023/ap_on_re_us/goal_post_death

MORRIS, Minn. - A 20-year-old University of Minnesota-Morris student was killed Saturday when football fans rushed onto the field and pulled down a goal post at the end of the school's homecoming game.

Richard Thomas Rose, of Benton City, Wash., was pronounced dead at a hospital after attempts to revive him on the field failed, school officials said. No one else was hurt.

Minnesota-Morris Chancellor Sam Schuman said it was not immediately clear how Rose died. "I think the presumption is that (his) death was caused by a blow from the goal post," he said.

University Police Sgt. Chuck Grussing said the department is working with the county coroner's office to investigate the death. He declined additional comment.

Schuman said the stands were full, with about 1,000 fans watching the last football game at "Cougar Field" an overtime victory over Crown College. The Cougars move to a new stadium next season.

Schuman said the school will offer counseling to students, staff and faculty.

"He was a popular young man, and I think students are shocked and in a very deep state of grief," Schuman said. Schuman said Rose, a junior, was a member of the men's basketball team.

Minnesota-Morris is a public liberal arts school of about 1,700 students in west-central Minnesota, about 135 miles northwest of Minneapolis.

JBucc
10-23-2005, 06:49 PM
It's happenned a few times that I've heard of

HolmeZz
10-23-2005, 06:51 PM
They always used to say "does someone have to die before we put rules on goal post celebrations?"

Deberg_1990
10-23-2005, 06:53 PM
They always used to say "does someone have to die before we put rules on goal post celebrations?"

Perhaps its time to outlaw these ridicilous celebrations?? Although, I have no idea how to control them?? It would be impossible....

jspchief
10-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Rushing the field at a football game that drew a crowd of 1000? Darwin is smiling.

Demonpenz
10-23-2005, 06:54 PM
they have the break away ones now, but maybe they have an electric charge in them

Valiant
10-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Perhaps its time to outlaw these ridicilous celebrations?? Although, I have no idea how to control them?? It would be impossible....

We should put them all do death as they can hurt someone else.. Oh wait we are not talking about pitbulls are we???

Bwana
10-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Hmmm? What are the odds of cashing in the chips that way?

mcan
10-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Terrible news. I can't imagine a friend dying like this. A terrible freak accident.

kc-nd
10-23-2005, 07:08 PM
I actually know this kid.

He's family (a cousin's son on my wife's side of the family).

I'm not getting into details - but this is hitting everyone quite hard.

Deberg_1990
10-23-2005, 07:11 PM
I actually know this kid.

He's family (a cousin's son on my wife's side of the family).

I'm not getting into details - but this is hitting everyone quite hard.

Wow, sorry to hear this....God Bless his family....

|Zach|
10-23-2005, 07:13 PM
What rules would you put down?

JBucc
10-23-2005, 07:16 PM
What rules would you put down?It's not about rules it's about putting up the money to get goalpost that can pop up or down so you can get it down before everybody runs out.

|Zach|
After being a part of one of these I am suprised this kind of thing has not happened sooner. Hell, I got headbutted by a Nebraska player. There was so much adreniline though I didn't really feel it.

Demonpenz
you could watch the tapes and try to match them fine them. or just pepper spray the entire crowd

|Zach|
It's not about rules it's about putting up the money to get goalpost that can pop up or down so you can get it down before everybody runs out.
People still rush the field...

And I think a lot of the danger is in that process.

Valiant
10-23-2005, 07:17 PM
you could watch the tapes and try to match them fine them. or just pepper spray the entire crowd

machine gun

JBucc
10-23-2005, 07:19 PM
People still rush the field...

And I think a lot of the danger is in that process.Yeah but at least the goalpost won't fall on anyone

Demonpenz
10-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah but at least the goalpost won't fall on anyone

Plus from an insurance standpoint you could cover all your bases on not being neglegent

Demonpenz
10-23-2005, 07:23 PM
machine gun

ehh didn't really work at kent state

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-23-2005, 08:46 PM
fire hose, you know like the ones that fire fighters use

duncan_idaho
10-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Making the quick-removal goal posts doesn't work. Why? Because fans won't wait for them to come down. MU has removable goal posts, and in 2003 against Nebraska, issued several pleas to wait 10 minutes for the staff to remove the goal posts themselves. But clearly that didn't happen.

Like it or not, it's part of college football. And universities can't spend enough money on security to stop it.

The danger comes, as it does with most things, when people start acting stupid. Tearing a goal post down with a small crowd is dumb. Shimmying to the top of the goal post is dumb. But when you've got 1,000 people or more crowded to tear it down, no one is going to be knocked flat by a falling goal post.

Honestly, it's not like these things fall at a high rate of speed... there is plenty of time to get out of the way of them as they are falling. It wouldn't surprise me if the kid who was killed had clibmed higher than the cross bar... and that's where the real danger is.

And as a Missouri fan, I can personally attest that 2 of the past 3 goal posts tearing downs have been delayed efforts encouraged by the players and coaching staff. I'd imagine that's the case a lot of places.

ChiefsCountry
10-23-2005, 11:52 PM
And as a Missouri fan, I can personally attest that 2 of the past 3 goal posts tearing downs have been delayed efforts encouraged by the players and coaching staff. I'd imagine that's the case a lot of places.

Like this last game.

KcMizzou
10-23-2005, 11:57 PM
And as a Missouri fan, I can personally attest that 2 of the past 3 goal posts tearing downs have been delayed efforts encouraged by the players and coaching staff.That really surprises me.

duncan_idaho
10-24-2005, 12:26 AM
KcMizzou,

It has surprised me, too... it's as if every once in a while, Pinkel wakes up and realizes he needs to do something to make the fans like him. Too bad he doesn't realize that all the time.

ENDelt260
10-24-2005, 12:33 AM
ROFL That's terrible.

Saulbadguy
10-24-2005, 06:24 AM
They do make removable posts that come down in like 10 seconds. I think West Virginia has them. They insert these long bars in the front and they just come down.

Also places have greased their goal posts, so when students climb up them, they just fall off.

Saulbadguy
10-24-2005, 06:25 AM
Hahahaha.

bkkcoh
10-24-2005, 06:53 AM

They haven't had the same type of problems since, have they.......

:p

jspchief
10-24-2005, 07:06 AM
They do make removable posts that come down in like 10 seconds. I think West Virginia has them. They insert these long bars in the front and they just come down.

Also places have greased their goal posts, so when students climb up them, they just fall off.Iowa has them. They can take down a goalpost in literally ten seconds. Even if the fans were rushing the field from ten feet away, the goalpost would be close to lying flat already.

Personally, I think universities should take a hard line on the issue. Mace, tear gas, fire hoses. Or just put up fences that aren't so easily negotiated. Those goalposts are expensive, and these on field celebrations have become as common as beer at a frat party. I can see only allowing it at a truly big game.

Saulbadguy
10-24-2005, 07:09 AM
Iowa has them. They can take down a goalpost in literally ten seconds. Even if the fans were rushing the field from ten feet away, the goalpost would be close to lying flat already.

Personally, I think universities should take a hard line on the issue. Mace, tear gas, fire hoses. Or just put up fences that aren't so easily negotiated. Those goalposts are expensive, and these on field celebrations have become as common as beer at a frat party. I can see only allowing it at a truly big game.
Perhaps. I don't see it being a big issue. I don't mind it after a huge win when you are the underdog. Last time it happened @KSU was in 2000 vs the Snow game vs NU. Before that, 98 vs NU (first win in 30 years over NU). Before that, KSU fans tore down KU's goalposts in 1994 after a win. I guess as long as you aren't doing it every year, all is well. I don't agree with the players and COACHES coercing the action, though. That is just sad.

Skip Towne
10-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Razor wire.

Extra Point
10-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Tearing down a goalpost is an act of vandalism. I don't see how a school could be libel when it happens. It's just damned sad that it does, and especially sad when someone gets hurt or killed in the process. Whether or not the goal post fell and hit this young man, it's damned sad when fans rush the field or stadium, and damn sad that he died.