PDA

View Full Version : Best Batman???

PastorMikH
10-23-2005, 11:10 PM
OK, I just got through watching Batman Begins and got to wondering, who is the best Batman?

Adam West - Original Batman Series (1966)

Michael Keaton - Batman (1989) & Batman Returns (1992)

Val Kilmer - Batman Forever (1995)

George Clooney - Batman & Robin (1997)

Christian Bale - Batman Begins (2005)

Personally, I kept thinking that Val Kilmer would have been perfect for Batman Begins. Kilmer brings an arrogance that would have been perfect for palying an emerging Batman. However, I think Clooney is probably my favorite.

SLAG
10-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Michael Keaton Is the Best Hands Down!

Adam West was the Man for his time and place...

I have not seen the new one so i cant comment on Bale

Fishpicker
10-23-2005, 11:13 PM
Keaton was the best. the first Batman movie was the only one worth watching IMO

Count Zarth
10-23-2005, 11:16 PM
They were all good, but I like Bale the best.

Now, ask me about villain. ;)

PastorMikH
10-23-2005, 11:17 PM

I'd Wager that you liked Qui Gon Chin as the villan.:)

Count Zarth
10-23-2005, 11:18 PM
I'd Wager that you liked Qui Gon Chin as the villan.:)

Nope.

PastorMikH
10-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Nope.

I figured the Star Wars guy would have you won over.

I'd have to say as a villian, I liked Jack Nicholson the best.

Count Zarth
10-23-2005, 11:19 PM
I figured the Star Wars guy would have you won over.

I'd have to say as a villian, I liked Jack Nicholson the best.

Yep. :D

Rain Man
10-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Adam West. I saw an interview with Burt Ward where he said that Adam West was often seen on the set using the Bat-Tool to subdue a Bat-groupie.

keg in kc
10-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Bale and Batman Begins in a landslide. The Keaton films suck. The Kilmer movie is barely bearable. The Clooney film was an abortion. Adam West isn't even worth mentioning.

I'd take Batman: The Animated Series as #2 over all the movies and the 60's series, behind only Batman Begins.

greg63
10-23-2005, 11:30 PM

Had to go with the Keaton/Nicholson duet.

SoCalBronco
10-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Gaz.

Honorable Mentions: Adam West and Michael Keaton.

SoCalBronco
10-23-2005, 11:58 PM

You'd be a pretty good villain.

You play the role quite well already.

luv
10-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Had to go with the Keaton/Nicholson duet.
Although, I didn't like Kilmer as Batman all that much, I thought Jim Carrey made a good riddler. I agree with the Keaton/Nicholson duet as well. I liked what's-his-face as the Penguin, too. I hate brain farts.

luv
10-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Although, I didn't like Kilmer as Batman all that much, I thought Jim Carrey made a good riddler. I agree with the Keaton/Nicholson duet as well. I liked what's-his-face as the Penguin, too. I hate brain farts.
Danny DeVito. Knew I'd think of it.

Saulbadguy
10-24-2005, 05:20 AM
2005, easily. The other ones had nothing to do with the Batman comics, from what I hear.

Fire Me Boy!
10-24-2005, 05:31 AM
However, I think Clooney is probably my favorite.

Are you...... are you......

are you......

serious?

I feel as though my time on this board has been a total waste. :sulk:

Time for an OFFICIAL "I'm leaving thread," me thinks.

tomahawk kid
10-24-2005, 06:21 AM
As an admitted Batman collector and "fanboy" in my youth, I have to go with Bale. It's not even close.

Keaton was okay, but "Begins" captures the essence of the more modern Batman comics. Burton's 1989 original came the closest to doing that in the original 3-4 movies.

Otter
10-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Michael Keaton - Batman (1989)

Jack Nicholson was awsome in that movie, one of his best performances IMHO.

http://homepage.mac.com/cfj/.Pictures/joker-nicholson.jpg

THIS TOWN NEEDS AN ENIMA!!!

Lzen
10-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Ok, I thought the question was who is the best Batman. Not which was the best Batman movie. Personally, I liked Val Kilmer as Batman. Although Keaton did a fine job, as well. But as far as best movie, Batman Begins is the winner, hands down. I just watched this Saturday night and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

tomahawk kid
10-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Michael Keaton - Batman (1989)

Jack Nicholson was awsome in that movie, one of his best performances IMHO.

http://homepage.mac.com/cfj/.Pictures/joker-nicholson.jpg

THIS TOWN NEEDS AN ENIMA!!!

Jack nailed his role as the Joker.

It looks like they're bringing the character back in the next sequel to "Begins". That actor will have huge shoes to fill.

Extra Point
10-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Being 6 or 7 when the TV Batman series was going on, I always had to tune in at "The same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Channel." The gadgets seemed really neat. Time goes by, advances are made in special effects, and I see how campy and absurd the TV show was/is.

But how can you beat Frank Gorshin as the Riddler, or Cesar Romero as the Joker, and Burgess Meredith as the Penguin?

Now, would you please poll for the best Catwoman? My vote is for Michelle Pfeiffer.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Bale is the best Batman and Batman Begins is the best movie.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Thankfully, Bale is going to be in the rest of the 6 that they are making.

tomahawk kid
10-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Thankfully, Bale is going to be in the rest of the 6 that they are making.

6?!

patteeu
10-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Kilmer is the best Batman, but Batman Begins is, by far, the best Batman movie. I'd take Bales as my runner-up.

jAZ
10-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Val Kilmer was the best actor to play Batman.

Batman Begins was the best Batman movie.

patteeu
10-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Val Kilmer was the best actor to play Batman.

Batman Begins was the best Batman movie.

Holy accordance, Batman, we're in complete agreement for a change! :p

Saulbadguy
10-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Who the hell voted for Clooney?

Lzen
10-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Holy accordance, Batman, we're in complete agreement for a change! :p

That makes 3 of us. :thumb:

Ok, I thought the question was who is the best Batman. Not which was the best Batman movie. Personally, I liked Val Kilmer as Batman. Although Keaton did a fine job, as well. But as far as best movie, Batman Begins is the winner, hands down. I just watched this Saturday night and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

patteeu
10-24-2005, 08:35 AM
That makes 3 of us. :thumb:

Yep. I noticed your post and almost replied to it with my agreement but I didn't really care for Keaton so I just posted my own statement. I only replied to jAZ because he and I rarely agree on anything in Washington DC. :)

Lzen
10-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Who the hell voted for Clooney?

Probably some chick who still has fantasies about Dr. Ross.

gblowfish
10-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Adam West. I saw an interview with Burt Ward where he said that Adam West was often seen on the set using the Bat-Tool to subdue a Bat-groupie."Bat-Tool" is redundant.

Crush
10-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Keaton is da bomb.

Frazod
10-24-2005, 10:08 AM
I liked Keaton in the role and enjoyed both of the movies he did, but Bale blows him away. The newest movie is so much better than any of the old ones, there really is no point in comparing them.

And when I was a kid, and enjoyed God-awful shows like Lost in Space and the original Battlestar Galactica, EVEN THEN I thought the Batman TV show sucked. Yuck.

Demonpenz
10-24-2005, 10:10 AM
who is playing captain planet in the upcoming movie?

PastorMikH
10-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Are you...... are you......

serious?

Keaton just doesn't come accross to me as the tough guy type, something I think the Batman character needs. Clooney brought the "I'm tough, but I'm getting wiser and more mature" to the Batman.

Like I said though, I also liked Val Kilmer and it's a pretty tough choice between the two. Kilmer brings more arrogance and youthful impulse to the character.

Fire Me Boy!
10-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Keaton just doesn't come accross to me as the tough guy type, something I think the Batman character needs. Clooney brought the "I'm tough, but I'm getting wiser and more mature" to the Batman.

Like I said though, I also liked Val Kilmer and it's a pretty tough choice between the two. Kilmer brings more arrogance and youthful impulse to the character.
Wow... talk about polar opposites for our opinions.

They're my #4-5 picks... (keep in mind, this is my opinion -- I'm not trying to be overbearing here). Kilmer was bad. He wasn't a terrible "Batman," but as Bruce Wayne he was gawd awful. Clooney... just terrible all around. I actually pretend that movie was never made. Bale and Keaton were 10X the Batman either of them could EVER be.

Personally, I though Keaton had the tough-guy better than Bale, but Bale had the brooding intensity of a young Batman, someone about to go over the edge.

Mr. Laz
10-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Michael Keaton Is the Best Hands Down!

Adam West was the Man for his time and place...

I have not seen the new one so i cant comment on Bale
The same

GoTrav
10-24-2005, 11:10 AM
any of them that never resurrect Robin and the ghey-ness he exudes are ok by me. Batman Begins is the best. I can do without all the Prince and over done Hollywood-ness the previous three were.

Bowser
10-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Bale, then Kilmer.

Batman Begins was by far the best Batman movie.

mcan
10-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Both "Batman" and "Batman Begins" have their strengths. I think that Bale is the better actor. Keaten is a fantastic actor as well, but Bale has to edge him out a bit since he really commits himself to his roles, and takes them very seriously.

While they are both good movies, I think that overall "Batman" is the better film. Tim Burton's conception of a slightly exaggerated Gothem City and the staunch imagery that he gives us of its seedy underworld is magnificent. But what really sets Burton's "Batman" above all else is his crisp realization of its crime bosses. Nicholson as The Joker is one of the better on screen villians of all time. The idea that he's a mad man, hell bent on creating "art" makes him all the more believable. As opposed to some of the later villians, which are just "bad guys."

But to get to the question of the thread topic. Which is the better "Batman?" I think, again, that both have pros and cons. Overall, I'd say that Keaten plays the better Batman, while Bale plays the better Bruce Wayne. Although, that's not really fair, since "Batman Begins" is more of Bruce Wayne's story, and "Batman" shows us a very much older and wiser Wayne that already has everything put together. Still, Bale's "Wayne" has a sense of vulnerability, while Keaten's "Wayne" is pretty much infallable. I don't like infallable characters. They bore me. However, once they are in the suit, Keaten outshines Bale. There is a lot happening in Keaten's EYES that tell us what is going on. Also, Keaten's Batman-Voice, seems a little more natural. I also like how calm Keaten's Batman is. As opposed to Bale's manic Batman. However, I think that Bale's Batman is more believable as a ninja. That, however, is probably because Keaten's suit didn't move all that much...

StcChief
10-24-2005, 11:27 AM
1st and 2nd movies.

Frankie
10-24-2005, 11:29 AM
The best Batman was trapped in the worst Batman movie. George Clooney.

Sure-Oz
10-24-2005, 11:34 AM
clooney sucked as batman, keaton and bale are the best, this new batman imo kicks the other ones asses, feels more real than cartoony i guess that is the major difference between the others and the new one. the first orig. batman movie was pretty good with keatonn

Fire Me Boy!
10-24-2005, 11:39 AM
The best Batman was trapped in the worst Batman movie. George Clooney.

Frankie
10-24-2005, 11:44 AM
"You're fired."

I stand by my post.
:harumph:

Fire Me Boy!
10-24-2005, 11:54 AM
I stand by my post.
:harumph:

:p

Frankie
10-24-2005, 12:17 PM
I still stand by my post. (NaNaNaNaNaaaNa....)

KcMizzou
10-24-2005, 12:21 PM
clooney sucked as batman, keaton and bale are the best, this new batman imo kicks the other ones asses, feels more real than cartoony i guess that is the major difference between the others and the new one. the first orig. batman movie was pretty good with keatonnYep. I agree with all of that.

Frankie
10-24-2005, 12:36 PM
clooney sucked as batman, keaton and bale are the best, this new batman imo kicks the other ones asses, feels more real than cartoony i guess that is the major difference between the others and the new one. the first orig. batman movie was pretty good with keatonn

Keaton's 2nd Batman movie sucked big time. And the first one was good more because of Nicholson than Keaton. Clooney had the right facial structure for the Batman mask and he is a good actor.

Mr. Laz
10-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Keaton's 2nd Batman movie sucked big time. And the first one was good more because of Nicholson than Keaton. Clooney had the right facial structure for the Batman mask and he is a good actor.

i thought the question was about best Batman, not best movie.

Frankie
10-24-2005, 01:43 PM
i thought the question was about best Batman, not best movie.Yes. And the answer is: Clooney.

Mr. Laz
10-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Yes. And the answer is: Clooney.
then why keep bringing up which movie was better?

Keaton was best as batman... although Clooney did capture the gheyness of the original t.v. series batman.

i bet you just like clooney's nipples

Frankie
10-24-2005, 02:11 PM
i bet you just like clooney's nipples
Not before you tell me how they were, Laz. ;)

Mr. Laz
10-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Not before you tell me how they were, Laz. ;)
cmon ... you know you were lookin'

it's ok

:) ROFL

http://batman.manyfacesof.com/art/clooney_BATMAN7.jpg

mike_b_284
10-24-2005, 02:42 PM
I think Keaton was the best batman, but Batman Begins is the best movie. Nicholson was a good villian, but I am curious to know who will be the Joker in the next one.

Ebolapox
10-24-2005, 03:26 PM
bale in a landslide for me

and... the clooney pic in post numero 56--...eek... bat nipples... that's just...wrong

-EB-

Psyko Tek
10-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Clooney would have been the best
but the script and the batnipples just was wrong ...
oh so wrong

Sure-Oz
10-24-2005, 04:58 PM
there should never ever be nipples on batmans suit, period.

KCWolfman
10-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Keaton - Enough of an edge to be unpredictable while making the cartoonish seem almost realistic enough to be believable.

|Zach|
10-24-2005, 05:28 PM
Keaton - Enough of an edge to be unpredictable while making the cartoonish seem almost realistic enough to be believable.
Indeed.

KCWolfman
10-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Both "Batman" and "Batman Begins" have their strengths. I think that Bale is the better actor. Keaten is a fantastic actor as well, but Bale has to edge him out a bit since he really commits himself to his roles, and takes them very seriously.

While they are both good movies, I think that overall "Batman" is the better film. Tim Burton's conception of a slightly exaggerated Gothem City and the staunch imagery that he gives us of its seedy underworld is magnificent. But what really sets Burton's "Batman" above all else is his crisp realization of its crime bosses. Nicholson as The Joker is one of the better on screen villians of all time. The idea that he's a mad man, hell bent on creating "art" makes him all the more believable. As opposed to some of the later villians, which are just "bad guys."

But to get to the question of the thread topic. Which is the better "Batman?" I think, again, that both have pros and cons. Overall, I'd say that Keaten plays the better Batman, while Bale plays the better Bruce Wayne. Although, that's not really fair, since "Batman Begins" is more of Bruce Wayne's story, and "Batman" shows us a very much older and wiser Wayne that already has everything put together. Still, Bale's "Wayne" has a sense of vulnerability, while Keaten's "Wayne" is pretty much infallable. I don't like infallable characters. They bore me. However, once they are in the suit, Keaten outshines Bale. There is a lot happening in Keaten's EYES that tell us what is going on. Also, Keaten's Batman-Voice, seems a little more natural. I also like how calm Keaten's Batman is. As opposed to Bale's manic Batman. However, I think that Bale's Batman is more believable as a ninja. That, however, is probably because Keaten's suit didn't move all that much...

Just.... wow!

I had to read this twice as I wish I had written it.

PastorMikH
10-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Just.... wow!

I had to read this twice as I wish I had written it.

Welcome back Russ. Good seeing you around again.

KCWolfman
10-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Welcome back Russ. Good seeing you around again.
As long as I was gone, I thought for sure you bums would pass me in total posts.

PastorMikH
10-24-2005, 08:09 PM
As long as I was gone, I thought for sure you bums would pass me in total posts.

Most of us were already ahead of you in quality posts.

munkey
10-24-2005, 08:22 PM
My problem with Keaton was he just wasn't physical enough...I mean even as Bruce Wayne Keaton looked and acted like a pussy..."Batman" is a DARK figure and pretty much a "Man"...Not a little pussy that put on a muscle suit and kicked ass which IMO made the Keaton movies suck ass.

AND don't tell me Keaton spoke in his usual (Bruce Wayne) voice as the bat (watch the movie again and tell me I'm wrong)...Bale does the same thing and it's all part of Wayne's/Batmans character...Keaton as the more mature Bat is just plain stupid...he's supposed talk/speak that way.

Kilmer/Clooney...Don't even go there...They were both a pussifcation/pretty boy abomination that should have NEVER been made.

Adam West....He was the Ghey man of them all and should only be looked as a Brady Bunch/Monkey's kinda way....a sign of the times so to speak.

All in all IMO Batman Begins is the best movie and Bale is the best to play him...hands down!

KCWolfman
10-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Most of us were already ahead of you in quality posts.

Ouch.... If I had feelings....

Cochise
10-24-2005, 08:32 PM
If you guys like the new Batman, and aren't too cool for a graphic novel, you can find Frank Miller's 'the dark knight returns in a trade paperback.

Pretty much anything Miller touched is gold, for that matter.

PastorMikH
10-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Ouch.... If I had feelings....

I couldn't help it, you tee'd that one up. I was obligated to take a swing.:)

listopencil
10-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Clooney would have been the best
but the script and the batnipples just was wrong ...
oh so wrong

Not always...

PastorMikH
10-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Just got through watching Batman Begins again. You really need to watch it more than once to really get the entire storyline - though maybe that is because I watched it with the wife the first time and the ongoing discussions and such were a bit of distraction. It's just as good the second time through as it was the first.

Watching again the villain part played by Qui Gon Jinn was rather intriquing as well. After the second time through, I think I would rate him right up there with Jack for playing the villian.

Count Zarth
10-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Jinn, not Chin.

SLAG
10-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Bale Takes a Commanding Lead... Interesting... I guess i gotta check out that new Batman

wazu
10-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Kilmer would have been best, but Bale was lucky enough to star in by far the best one ever made.

Bale wins.

tk13
10-25-2005, 12:15 AM
I haven't seen the new one with Bale but I know I'm going to have a real hard time getting his character in American Psycho out of my head.

Holy hanging chad, Batman, Adam West needs more votes, so I'm voting for him. Anybody that can subdue Burgess Meredith and Vincent Price gets my vote.

Miles
10-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Its probably a tossup beween Bale and Kilmer for whichever one was the best actor to play Batman. Keaton was the least talented of the buch but the villians in those movies were pretty damn good.

Guess Id go with Bale as the best Batman overall.

Count Zarth
10-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Its probably a tossup beween Bale and Kilmer for whichever one was the best actor to play Batman. Keaton was the least talented of the buch but the villians in those movies were pretty damn good.

Guess Id go with Bale as the best Batman overall.

I don't know how you can sit here and say Keaton was the least talented of the bunch. He wasn't great for the Batman role, but I love him in almost anything. I think he plays a fantastic villain. Check out "Desperate Measures." He's so good, I find myself rooting for the bad guy every time I watch it.

TeamPriest31
10-25-2005, 01:56 AM
I just finished watching Batman Begins earlier today and Christian Bale was the best that I have seen since Michael Keaton. Keaton #1. Bale comes in a close 2nd.

ChiefFripp
10-25-2005, 01:58 AM
Bale with with keaton in his first Batman flick a close second.

Rausch
10-25-2005, 02:07 AM
I thought Kilmer was by far the best Batty, but the first movie is also leaps and bounds better than any other...

Miles
10-25-2005, 02:09 AM
I don't know how you can sit here and say Keaton was the least talented of the bunch. He wasn't great for the Batman role, but I love him in almost anything. I think he plays a fantastic villain. Check out "Desperate Measures." He's so good, I find myself rooting for the bad guy every time I watch it.

Keaton is definitly a solid actor I just dont think he measures up to the others. Clooney is probably the closest but I still think he is a better actor.

Rausch
10-25-2005, 02:18 AM
Keaton is definitly a solid actor I just dont think he measures up to the others. Clooney is probably the closest but I still think he is a better actor.

I hate Clooney. Can't stand him or his acting.

That said, I thought he was amazing in "Solaris."

One of my favorite Sci-Fi flicks...

Miles
10-25-2005, 02:28 AM
I hate Clooney. Can't stand him or his acting.

That said, I thought he was amazing in "Solaris."

One of my favorite Sci-Fi flicks...

The origional is better but its pretty damn slow and heavy on the philosophy. Definitly love the remake though it seems that a lot of people hated it.

I actually kind of like Clooney. Other than Solaris i though he was pretty good in O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Perfect Storm and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

PastorMikH
10-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Bale Takes a Commanding Lead... Interesting... I guess i gotta check out that new Batman

Yeah, you really do. Its long, a little over 2 hours, but it moves so well that you don't even think of the time. Lots of action and never the lull that a lot of movies seem to have.

chagrin
10-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Since the storylines in the first Batman movie with MK and Batman Begins wth CB are so different and taken from 2 very different "important" times in his life - this is tough for me to call.

Having said that, Christian Bale played the darker, more emotionally driven Batman better. Batman Begins is an awesome flick.

MK, however, was perfect for the movie he was in, we could have done without the other dickbags

KCChiefsMan
10-25-2005, 10:06 AM
I haven't seen the new one yet, but Michael Keaton rocked!