PDA

View Full Version : Is Tony Gonzalez going to be resigned ?

chief99
10-24-2005, 12:48 AM
His play has really diminished. An NFL expert said as much. He said that basically he's hit the age where you lose your abilities.

The Eagles don't resign anyone at around Tony's age for 'big', 'Jerome Woods' type money.

Mecca
10-24-2005, 12:52 AM
How about we wait till the end of the season before we decide if his production has declined.

SLAG
10-24-2005, 12:52 AM
His play has really diminished. An NFL expert said as much. He said that basically he's hit the age where you lose your abilities.

The Eagles don't resign anyone at around Tony's age for 'big', 'Jerome Woods' type money.

I think Tony G. Is here until he doesnt want to be here any more..

luv
10-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Who was the "expert"?

Count Alex's Losses
10-24-2005, 12:54 AM
He hasn't declined that much. If we had had Roaf all year, he'd have similar numbers compared to what he had last year at this time.

keg in kc
10-24-2005, 01:10 AM
He's under contract until 2008.

ceebz
10-24-2005, 01:22 AM
This thread sucks. http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gsindifferent.gif

TG will pick it up as the season moves on. The entire offense has looked, "diminished".

the Talking Can
10-24-2005, 01:26 AM
don't need him...we have Wilson

beer bacon
10-24-2005, 01:27 AM

I think you misspelled Jason Dunn.

Mecca
10-24-2005, 01:28 AM
Jason Dunn's older than Tony G is.......

the Talking Can
10-24-2005, 01:28 AM
I think you misspelled Jason Dunn.

Wilson = Gonzo + Dunn + Space Ghost

Mecca
10-24-2005, 01:30 AM
He'd only truely be the savior if he=Zorak.

Dunit35
10-24-2005, 01:42 AM
I wouldnt get rid of him for nothing. He commands double teams and that frees up WR's, RB's.

chief99
10-24-2005, 01:59 AM
The expert was on 810am talking about Gonzalez and how all previous tight ends started flaming out at a certain age.

And does he really command double teams now ?

Straight, No Chaser
10-24-2005, 01:59 AM

WTF?

I think what you meant to say was... "In the Philly game the number of times Gonzalez was thrown to diminished..."

Besides THAT, stop going 'round to football sites on the Internet and copying and then pasting garbage here. If you can't come with who, what, when, and where, you're nothing.

--->

Dunit35
10-24-2005, 02:11 AM
The expert was on 810am talking about Gonzalez and how all previous tight ends started flaming out at a certain age.

True, but they still have too pay special attention to him.

JOhn
10-24-2005, 02:59 AM

When he hasn't been pass blocking, yea he does.

I seem to recall just last year him setting a record for most receptions by a TE. No way does he go from there to a wash up in less than a year. Only reason his numbers are down is because of Roaf being out, and him having to do more blocking.

Your "expert" is an idiot, no offense. ;)

Mecca
10-24-2005, 03:09 AM
He's referring to some guy that was on Keitzman show before the year started as his "expert". I heard the same interview and laughed at the time.

Phobia
10-24-2005, 07:02 AM

"All" previous tight ends, huh? The next expert on 810 would be the first. Gonzo is still a force. There just aren't enough balls to go around and there haven't been enough healthy blockers. He'll come around as soon as Al Saunders needs him to catch the ball again.

jspchief
10-24-2005, 07:14 AM
I'm in no hurry to get rid of Gonzo, but I'm also looking forward to the post Gonzo era.

IMO, The money we pay Gonzalez is what keeps us from getting a true #1 WR. When that money frees up, maybe we'll get a downfield threat for the first time in a long time.

Area 51
10-24-2005, 07:19 AM
Gonzo mentioned that he wanted to be in KC until he retired, he also said that he wanted to be on Trent Green's team for as long as possible. The two of them are on the same page when it comes to plays. That isn't word for word, but was repeated by a sidline "girl" on a Sunday or Monday night game.

InChiefsHell
10-24-2005, 07:38 AM

I think my IQ shrunk just from reading this. "An NFL Expert", well shit jack, we're all NFL Experts. And BTW, what difference does it make who the Eagles sign? What are they, the benchmark for success in the NFL for signings?!?

If you think that TG is suddenly old and getting over the hill, you don't watch much Chiefs football. The whole offense has been lacking. How the hell you gonna sit there and pick on Tony is beyond me.

Now, go throw yourself off a building. :p

Warrior5
10-24-2005, 08:40 AM
He'd only truely be the savior if he=Zorak.

...and Brak would be a stud WR.

Chiefnj
10-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Chief99 is Peterson's winter intern. He's simply setting the groundwork to lower Tony's value for the next set of contract negotiations.

jynni
10-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Didn't we just resign Tony last year? Or re-work his contract or whatever?

Whatever we did, we just did it not too long ago.

Lzen
10-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Didn't we just resign Tony last year? Or re-work his contract or whatever?

Whatever we did, we just did it not too long ago.

I think that was Priest and Tony G. that were signed prior to the 2003 season. ;)

And this thread is stupid. Last year, Tony set a record for the most receptions ever by a TE in the NFL. He hasn't lost it in one year.

chief99,
your mistake was listening to anything that 810am has to say. Especially when it comes to so called "expert" analysis. :shake:

patteeu
10-24-2005, 09:21 AM
I certainly wouldn't be ready to give him a new blockbuster deal/extention, but I have no desire to see him leave either. As long as he's reasonably priced, he should have a spot on the Chiefs roster for the forseeable future.

Lzen
10-24-2005, 09:28 AM
I certainly wouldn't be ready to give him a new blockbuster deal/extention, but I have no desire to see him leave either. As long as he's reasonably priced, he should have a spot on the Chiefs roster for the forseeable future.

I know that NFL contracts rarely actually last as long as what is written. However, Tony G. just signed a 7 year(?) contract 2 years ago. I think it is a little early to be thinking about a contract situation with our star tight end.

patteeu
10-24-2005, 09:33 AM
I know that NFL contracts rarely actually last as long as what is written. However, Tony G. just signed a 7 year(?) contract 2 years ago. I think it is a little early to be thinking about a contract situation with our star tight end.

In that case it sounds early to me too. I was just saying that if it was time to do something, it would have to be a relatively reasonable cost for me to be willing to do it. I still consider TG one of the important cogs in the Chiefs offense, but I no longer consider him to be completely irreplaceable. He got his big payday from the Chiefs and I hope that when it is time to renegotiate that he'll be willing to play for something that is more reasonable given his advancing age rather than on opting to chase more money in free agency.

Lzen
10-24-2005, 09:43 AM
.....he's hit the age where you lose your abilities.....

Tony G. is only 29.
:shake:

B_Ambuehl
10-24-2005, 09:54 AM
In all honesty he does appear to have a lot more trouble getting open this year and a lot of stuff he has caught apears forced to him.

It comes down to politics. If he can't give you anything more then a WR would give you in the passing game and you can get a first rounder for him I'd let him go in a heartbeat. But let him walk away for nothing? no way.

BigChiefFan
10-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Tony hasn't put up huge numbers, so far, but the guy is still a Hell of a player. To suggest otherwise is being moronic.

Lurch
10-24-2005, 10:05 AM

Were you drunk when you typed this? Gonzo will never wear another team's uniform.

jidar
10-24-2005, 10:05 AM
What in the hell?! Completely ignoring the ridiculous comment about his abilities declining; Tony G is going into the Hall of Fame. How the hell do you cut a guy like that?
Tony G is here to stay and we should all thank our lucky stars we have him.

Phobia
10-24-2005, 10:13 AM
What in the hell?! Completely ignoring the ridiculous comment about his abilities declining;

That's outrageous. Tony Gonzalez hasn't even hit double digit scoring for my fantasy team this year. It's time for him to retire.

htismaqe
10-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Chief99 is Peterson's winter intern. He's simply setting the groundwork to lower Tony's value for the next set of contract negotiations.

ROFL

That's priceless.

JimNasium
10-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Wilson = Gonzo + Dunn + Space Ghost
In other words....Ditka.

Mr. Laz
10-24-2005, 11:20 AM
I wouldnt get rid of him for nothing. He commands double teams and that frees up WR's, RB's.
washington didn't double him from what i saw

and he was covered most of the time by a linebacker

he's got a foot injury ... but it looks like he's lost some speed.

maybe his foot is slowing him down

philfree
10-24-2005, 11:24 AM
NFL expert my ass. Skills diminished? Gonzo did have foot surgery in the offseason and he only practiced once a day at training camp. That might account in part to his slow start this season. Gonzo has also been having to stay in and block because of all the injuries to our O line. Coincidently this past week our O line was healthier and Tony caught 7 passes. I expect more of the same this week especially since Gates has recieved more hype in the last year and a half. I bet Tony thinks he has something to prove and he makes a statement in the Chargers game.

NFL expert ROFL

PhilFree:arrow:

Spicy McHaggis
10-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Gonzalez can play as long or longer than Sharpe did. This thread is almost as ridiculous as ridiculous day at the deli. When prices were so low, they were ridiculous.

ChiTown
10-24-2005, 11:45 AM

Part of the problem is that we haven't really thrown it his direction much. The other part is that we have him blocking a lot more due to injuries along the OL.

Beyond that, he's still arguably the best TE in the game.

BigMeatballDave
10-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Yeah, he's old and washed up. Its been years since that 102-catch season... :rolleyes:

BigMeatballDave
10-24-2005, 12:04 PM
ROFL

chiefsfan1963
10-24-2005, 12:13 PM
TG will retire a Chief! He will be in the Ring of Honor and first ballot Hall of Famer!!!!!!!!!! He still has plenty of good record years ahead of him.

I definitely want him to break Shannon Sharpe's record before he retires!

CanadaKC
10-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Tony's lack of production can be directly linked to the obvious shortfall in our offense...we hhave the worst WR tandem in the league...ANOTHER NFL expert has said that! He's constantly double-teamed now cause our WR's don't scare sh!t. It's either 8 men in the box to try and stop Priest/LJ...or double-team Tony G. Once we get a legit WR...his numbers will go waaay up again.

ChiefClint
10-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Was I asleep last season or did he really have 102 catches? I think he will become more and more of an impact as the year progresses.

InChiefsHell
10-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Was I asleep last season or did he really have 102 catches? I think he will become more and more of an impact as the year progresses.

Led the league for TE's as a matter of fact. Yes, you were asleep.

CupidStunt
10-24-2005, 01:19 PM
His main lack of production has been in the redzone, and you can attribute that largely to the fact we're running there so well.

Reaper16
10-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Led the league for TE's as a matter of fact. Yes, you were asleep.

Hell set a TE receptions record, and led the entire league in receptions, not just TEs.

Calcountry
10-24-2005, 01:44 PM
I think Tony G. Is here until he doesnt want to be here any more..Then he will resign.

chiefsfan1963
10-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Tony's lack of production can be directly linked to the obvious shortfall in our offense...we hhave the worst WR tandem in the league...ANOTHER NFL expert has said that! He's constantly double-teamed now cause our WR's don't scare sh!t. It's either 8 men in the box to try and stop Priest/LJ...or double-team Tony G. Once we get a legit WR...his numbers will go waaay up again.

very good point!

InChiefsHell
10-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Hell set a TE receptions record, and led the entire league in receptions, not just TEs.

I thought it was, but was too lazy to look it up. I figured put down the underwhelming stat, that way if I'm wrong the right answer proves my case even more.

Thanks for the catch.

Mecca
10-25-2005, 10:16 AM
The only thing the original poster said that is true is the Eagles play the cap pretty well. They are a contender and always have 20 mill of cap room after every year. They're smart enough to not overpay older players and let guys walk when it's time.

But that being said throwing Tony Gonzalez in that category is dumb. Even the Eagles make exceptions for their key older players. They just resigned Brian Dawkins, that's a good example.

jidar
10-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Gonzalez can play as long or longer than Sharpe did. This thread is almost as ridiculous as ridiculous day at the deli. When prices were so low, they were ridiculous.

LOL!
that's good stuff.

chagrin
10-25-2005, 10:42 AM
I haven't read but one other post on this thread, but my take is that his talent hasn't diminished at all. It seems that AS forgot who is TE is, I wouldn't blame Tony if he left next year or the year after, if this shitty play calling continues (Miami game not withstanding)

KCChiefsMan
10-25-2005, 11:05 AM
maybe if we threw him the ball he'd catch more passes, this thread sucks about as much as all the "Mike Vick sucks" threads

Mr. Laz
10-25-2005, 11:19 AM
maybe if we threw him the ball he'd catch more passes, this thread sucks about as much as all the "Mike Vick sucks" threads
is he not getting catches because he's not getting the ball thrown his way

or

is he not getting the ball thrown he's way because he's not open.

ExtremeChief
10-25-2005, 11:34 AM
is he not getting catches because he's not getting the ball thrown his way

or

is he not getting the ball thrown he's way because he's not open.

I would have to say

yes

BigMeatballDave
10-25-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm in no hurry to get rid of Gonzo, but I'm also looking forward to the post Gonzo era.

IMO, The money we pay Gonzalez is what keeps us from getting a true #1 WR. When that money frees up, maybe we'll get a downfield threat for the first time in a long time.Wow. Did you really say this? How many #1 WRs caught 102 balls last season?

Mr. Laz
10-25-2005, 11:47 AM
I would have to say

yes
ROFL

maybe it's his foot ... but i've seen gonzo get single coverage more this year than i can ever remember and he's still not getting open like in the past.

i was pretty shocked when i saw a linebacker turn and run up the sideline with Tony stride for stride in the washington game.

BigMeatballDave
10-25-2005, 12:04 PM
In Tony's defense, Roaf missed 3 games, which took him out of his game. I figure he lost 12-15 catches due to that. He has 25 right now. Gates, I believe, leads the league with 33...

InChiefsHell
10-25-2005, 01:10 PM
i was pretty shocked when i saw a linebacker turn and run up the sideline with Tony stride for stride in the washington game.

Yeah, but let's face it, Gonzo is not known for his blazing speed. He's a hands guy who makes the tough catch and holds onto the ball. He's probably the least gracefull looking guy out there, but who gives a crap? I just hope that once the O-Line is really gelled again we will see the return of Gonzo the Great.

He'll get his TD's. You watch...