PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up a computer

chief52
10-24-2005, 10:30 AM
I bought my mom basically the same computer I have about 3 years ago. Dell/Windows XP I believe. We have the same internet service. Her computer is oh so slow...
Her grandchildren get on there and I am sure that is the problem. If I could clean it up I will password/lock them out.

How can I clean it all out and get it up to speed? She just surfs the net a little and uses it mainly for e-mail. There is really no danger of losing any info.

Any help greatly appreciated.

AeroSquid
10-24-2005, 11:10 AM
format c:
&
reinstall windows

do you know how to do that?

chief52
10-24-2005, 11:22 AM
format c:
&
reinstall windows

do you know how to do that?

No...I do not.

Mr. Laz
10-24-2005, 02:14 PM
No...I do not.
a format reinstall is the best way to clean it up

the first thing you have to do is see if there is any information on the computer you need to keep and back it up(copy).

then if the computer is running WindowsXP ... all you have to stick the installation CD in there and choose Reformat > install.

i forget if windows98 has that format option in the install process. But there is a bootup disk that has it.

if you have a DELL installation disk it probably has format/reinstall options.

htismaqe
10-24-2005, 03:41 PM
There is no such thing as "clean up" under windows.

Format the computer and re-install XP from scratch.

Make sure to backup any critical data first.

chief52
10-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks guys. I will give re-install a shot. Nothing to lose. She has nothing of value to worry about. Just need to get it up and going.

Otter
10-24-2005, 05:20 PM
There is no such thing as "clean up" under windows.

Format the computer and re-install XP from scratch.

Make sure to backup any critical data first.

Before installing any software goto Windows Update and install everything relevent.

Especially important if it's XP for SP2.

PastorMikH
10-24-2005, 05:38 PM
409 does a pretty good job on the PC case, I'd recommend Windex though for the screen. I wouldn't even bother cleaning a rollerball mouse, I'd just toss it and by an optical.

:)