PDA

View Full Version : AMC....monsterfest my ass

Nzoner
10-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Not much going on today so I'm relaxing,flipping through the channels when I remember that American Movie Classics has started their week long monsterfest leading up to Halloween.

Let me just make it clear for the record that I'm all for everyone liking whatever they like but when your channel is called American Movie Classics and you're showing Pet Semetary 2 & Friday The 13th The Final Chapter during a monsterfest you need to change the name of your channel.

I haven't checked the rest of the weeks schedule nor the other channels TCM & FMC that'll be starting their monsterfests but I sure as hell hope it(they)improve from here,then again I don't think it could get much worse.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

http://tinyurl.com/7vqt4

Skip Towne
10-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Monsterfest my ass!!!

Simplex3
10-24-2005, 05:15 PM
They're horror flicks. They all pretty much suck equally.

CosmicPal
10-24-2005, 05:15 PM
They were showing Abbott & Costello Meets Frankenstein last night. I watched maybe five minutes of it- didn't think it was funny nor scary, so I went back to trying to move the brain from a donkey into my neighbors head since he was, after all, a dumb Bronco fan.

siberian khatru
10-24-2005, 05:19 PM
AMC hasn't lived up to its name for 2-3 years now. At one time they went head-to-head with TCM, but finally waved a white flag. Which is OK, I just wish they'd changed their name. They show very, very few "classic" movies anymore.

Donger
10-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Monster Squad

Best monster flick, ever.

KCWolfman
10-24-2005, 05:24 PM
They were showing Abbott & Costello Meets Frankenstein last night. I watched maybe five minutes of it- didn't think it was funny nor scary, so I went back to trying to move the brain from a donkey into my neighbors head since he was, after all, a dumb Bronco fan.
The air of comedy has certainly changed since the old films of the 40s and 50s.

A&C Meet Frankenstein was great. It hit on all kinds of satire regarding those campy old horror flicks. Chaney Jr was great as the morose Wolfman knowing of the inevitable. Lugosi was so campy he was almost as good as in Plan 9 From Outerspace. And the title itself is chocked with irony as neither Bud or Lou ever meet Frankenstein himself.

This generation has been Dumb and Dumbered with films.

KCWolfman
10-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Monster Squad

Best monster flick, ever.
Wolfman's got nards?

CosmicPal
10-24-2005, 05:36 PM
This generation has been Dumb and Dumbered with films.

I really like a good horror film. The problem is- there are too few of them around.

Halloween scared the crap out of me as a kid, but a lot of that had to do with the fact that some creepy dude held my sister, the babysitter and I hostage for about an hour a couple of years before the movie came out. He tried to break into our house and tried every damn door in the house, looked in every window while the babysitter screamed hysterically into the phone.

Halloween didn't have any great special effects, it didn't have a lot of blood, but it was a damn good movie- maybe 'cause the 'monster' was real. It was some creepy dude down the street.

The Shining is the same thing- a guy who went mad in an abandoned, creepy hotel. Again, not a lot of special effects or blood or gore, but one hell of a flick so much better than the shit they put out today.

Count Zarth
10-24-2005, 05:41 PM
This just came in the mail today:

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/3185/b00000uw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

KCWolfman
10-24-2005, 05:43 PM
I really like a good horror film. The problem is- there are too few of them around.

Halloween scared the crap out of me as a kid, but a lot of that had to do with the fact that some creepy dude held my sister, the babysitter and I hostage for about an hour a couple of years before the movie came out. He tried to break into our house and tried every damn door in the house, looked in every window while the babysitter screamed hysterically into the phone.

Halloween didn't have any great special effects, it didn't have a lot of blood, but it was a damn good movie- maybe 'cause the 'monster' was real. It was some creepy dude down the street.

The Shining is the same thing- a guy who went mad in an abandoned, creepy hotel. Again, not a lot of special effects or blood or gore, but one hell of a flick so much better than the shit they put out today.
Okay, so you were looking for horror, and I understand it was billed that way. But A&C Meet Frankenstein was great for its time, as a comedy. It was arguably the last great movie they did together, excluding Goes to Mars and Jack and the Beanstalk.

Personally, I don't get horror films. I have never been so into a movie that I was scared. Granted, I have been shocked when a character jumps up unexpectedly or the music doesn't crescendo when the scream starts. But I have never walked away from a film saying "Gee, I am scared of serial killers coming after me tonight".

KcMizzou
10-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Personally, I don't get horror films. I have never been so into a movie that I was scared. I haven't since I was probably 12 or 13. It's too bad, because that takes most of the fun out of it.

That clown from "Poltergeist" scared the hell out of me.

Sucks to get old and jaded. :(

Donger
10-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Wolfman's got nards?

Heh.

"My name.... is Horace!"

Nzoner
10-24-2005, 05:54 PM

I agree with you and for me most of my favs are from long ago.Here's a list of not so well known titles you might enjoy.

THEN

The Legend Of Hell House
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Hills Have Eyes(one of Wes Craven's first)
Trilogy Of Terror
Night Gallery(the original tv pilot movie)
Play Misty For Me(more of a thriller but a very decent one,I like to call it the original Fatal Attraction)

NOW

Session 9

CosmicPal
10-24-2005, 06:00 PM
I haven't since I was probably 12 or 13. It's too bad, because that takes most of the fun out of it.

Sucks to get old and jaded. :(

I agree on the fact when we get older, we lose that natural ability to be easily frightened. But, it's because we know the chances of that so-called serial killer getting to us is remote and absolutely rare. As children, we think anything is possible.

I used to think Charles Manson was going to break out of jail in California and come slaughter my family in KC. I was 7 or 8 years old then and made the mistake of watching Helter Skelter late one night. But, it was 'scary' 'cause it was a possibility- at least in the child's mind. But, as you get older- you realize Manson was a *****ed up hippie who easily manipulated women and that you'd could kick his azz if he stepped anywhere near your front yard.

What scares us most- is what's most real. And that is my point- none of these movies anymore are doing anything remotely real. It's no wonder we sit there and want to change the channel after a few moments.

Nzoner
10-24-2005, 06:03 PM
I just checked TCM's Halloween line-up and I'll be doing some DVD recording as they're showing Nosferatu(1922) and the original Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

Miles
10-24-2005, 06:14 PM
I agree with you and for me most of my favs are from long ago.Here's a list of not so well known titles you might enjoy.

THEN

The Legend Of Hell House
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Hills Have Eyes(one of Wes Craven's first)
Trilogy Of Terror
Night Gallery(the original tv pilot movie)
Play Misty For Me(more of a thriller but a very decent one,I like to call it the original Fatal Attraction)

NOW

Session 9

Nice, I will have to look around for some of those older ones. Play misty for me is the only one I have seen.

I agree with you that most of the newer horror movies just are not good. Many of them can start well but fall apart in the later part of the movie.

A fairly recent one you may want to check out is The Devil's Backbone. One that just came out a few weeks ago called High Tension is supposed to be good but i havent had a chance to check it out.

Miles
10-24-2005, 06:17 PM
I just checked TCM's Halloween line-up and I'll be doing some DVD recording as they're showing Nosferatu(1922) and the original Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

I have been meaning to check out the origional version of Nosferatu. I thought the 70's remake was pretty damn good.

Nzoner
10-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Nice, I will have to look around for some of those older ones. Play misty for me is the only one I have seen.

I agree with you that most of the newer horror movies just are not good. Many of them can start well but fall apart in the later part of the movie.

A fairly recent one you may want to check out is The Devil's Backbone. One that just came out a few weeks ago called High Tension is supposed to be good but i havent had a chance to check it out.

A word of caution,The Hills Have Eyes is somewhat cheesy but nonetheless considered a classic.I've read where Craven got his inspiration for the movie from The Sawney Bean Clan. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawney_Bean)

Thanks for the suggestions as well.

Nzoner
10-24-2005, 06:35 PM
I have been meaning to check out the origional version of Nosferatu. I thought the 70's remake was pretty damn good.

I was one of the few(I think) that actually liked Shadow Of The Vampire as well.

GoTrav
10-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Wolfman's got nards?

LOL

Nzoner
10-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Cross threading here but since foreign films came up in the other thread I had to give a shout out for Audition here.

CosmicPal
10-24-2005, 07:02 PM
There's a trippy, and I mean TRIPPY foreign film that I saw years ago about a bunch of chicks in a dance school who were attacked by "monster"

I can't remember the name of it, but the music was utterly fantastic. Maybe someone will know what I'm talking about...I believe it starts with an "S"....ahhhhh, never mind- SUSPERIA!

If you haven't seen Susperia...check it out. It's an oldie, but a freaky film with even freakier music.

siberian khatru
10-24-2005, 07:03 PM
There's a trippy, and I mean TRIPPY foreign film that I saw years ago about a bunch of chicks in a dance school who were attacked by "monster"

I can't remember the name of it, but the music was utterly fantastic. Maybe someone will know what I'm talking about...I believe it starts with an "S"....ahhhhh, never mind- SUSPERIA!

If you haven't seen Susperia...check it out. It's an oldie, but a freaky film with even freakier music.

Dario Argento, a master of horror. Great movie, good pick.

Count Zarth
10-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Almost forgot about "Elephant" which I saw the other day. It's kind of a retelling of the Columbine massacre, but it's in a different place. Very creepy.

CosmicPal
10-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Almost forgot about "Elephant" which I saw the other day. It's kind of a retelling of the Columbine massacre, but it's in a different place. Very creepy.

Really? You liked it? I noticed that was available as one of my ON Demand choices. I'll have to watch it now.

Count Zarth
10-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Oops, wrong thread. It's not really a horror movie.

Nzoner
10-24-2005, 07:21 PM
If anyone's looking for off-the-wall I'd definitely suggest Dellamorte Dellamore aka Cemetery Man (http://imdb.com/title/tt0109592/)

Miles
10-24-2005, 07:23 PM
If anyone's looking for off-the-wall I'd definitely suggest Dellamorte Dellamore aka Cemetery Man (http://imdb.com/title/tt0109592/)

Good call on this one. Great flick with some excellent dark humor.

CosmicPal
10-24-2005, 07:26 PM

That definately sounds like a good movie....I'll have to check it out.

Nzoner
10-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Good call on this one. Great flick with some excellent dark humor.

Once again you impress me with your movie choices,good to see someone else got to enjoy it.

Ultra Peanut
10-24-2005, 09:48 PM
AMC sucks ass. A dedicated movie channel should not run commercials during movies.

Nzoner
10-24-2005, 11:06 PM
AMC sucks ass. A dedicated movie channel should not run commercials during movies.

Not to mention they string out a 90 minute movie to 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

On a related note to the thread I checked the FMC guide and they've already shown The Legend Of Hell House during their 13 Nights of Fright.

Spicy McHaggis
10-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Tremors is on. The craptacular film that I can't help but watch until I fall asleep.

Man, you guys are right. AMC does suck.

mikey23545
10-25-2005, 02:43 AM

You've perfected a way to increase the intelligence of Donkey fans??!?!?!

Brilliant!

Rausch
10-25-2005, 02:51 AM
Every year on New Year's Eve Sci-Fi channel runs 48 hours of the classic Twilight Zone stuff.

Best marathon EVAR!1!

Miles
10-25-2005, 03:01 AM
IFC is running a pretty good one two of lots of stuff I haven't seen. Unfortunaly I dont get IFC anymore and really miss it.

http://www.ifctv.com/ifc/what/0,5266,CAT0-45-CAT1-6726-SHID-18963-AID-14747-TZ-ET-TB-4-CLR-black-,00.html

Rausch
10-25-2005, 03:06 AM
IFC is running a pretty good one two of lots of stuff I haven't seen. Unfortunaly I dont get IFC anymore and really miss it.

http://www.ifctv.com/ifc/what/0,5266,CAT0-45-CAT1-6726-SHID-18963-AID-14747-TZ-ET-TB-4-CLR-black-,00.html

Of that list "The Addiction" is by far the best...

Miles
10-25-2005, 03:10 AM
Of that list "The Addiction" is by far the best...

I think im going to have to restart my netflix account with all the good suggestions I have seen on here today. I thought I had see most of the good vampire flicks but haven't seen The Addiction yet. And it even has Walken in it.

Rausch
10-25-2005, 03:14 AM
I think im going to have to restart my netflix account with all the good suggestions I have seen on here today. I thought I had see most of the good vampire flicks but haven't seen The Addiction yet. And it even has Walken in it.

He plays his classic "evil-****head" role.

Good stuff...

Miles
10-25-2005, 03:33 AM
He plays his classic "evil-****head" role.

Good stuff...

Damn I just restarted netflix and couldnt find it. I have The United States of Leland up near the top at least.

Nzoner
10-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Every year on New Year's Eve Sci-Fi channel runs 48 hours of the classic Twilight Zone stuff.

Best marathon EVAR!1!

Terror at 20,000 feet with William Shatner :thumb:

Nzoner
10-25-2005, 09:17 AM

Thanks for posting that as checking the schedule was on my list of to do.I see they're showing The Wicker Man,one that's always gotten by me,looking forward to catching it.