PDA

View Full Version : wireless router sucks maybe

DMAC
10-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Is it normal for my wirless router (linksys) to lose connection sometimes? Also, sometimes the wireless icon will be on on the task bar but it says cannot find server on explorer. This doesnt happen at my work so am I missing something or does my stuff at home just suck?

SLAG
10-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Is it normal for my wirless router (linksys) to lose connection sometimes? Also, sometimes the wireless icon will be on on the task bar but it says cannot find server on explorer. This doesnt happen at my work so am I missing something or does my stuff at home just suck?

Are you Running DSL or Cable?

To fix your Errors on Explorer you will need to do a release and renew on your network adapters if you are using xp this is very simple.

DMAC
10-25-2005, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=SLAG02]Are you Running DSL or Cable?

cable. and i have no idea what you are talking about with the internet explorer

SLAG
10-25-2005, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=SLAG02]Are you Running DSL or Cable?

cable. and i have no idea what you are talking about with the internet explorer

Interesting

Check out your admin page (linksys default: 192.168.1.1 ) put that in your web browser log in and chek out your WAN settings. See if your Router is setup for DHCP access from your ISP. If so Ensure that those are the correct settings with the ISP (usally found on the ISP'S Web site)

in refrence to your other problem

what OS are you running

DMAC
10-25-2005, 09:00 PM
I could not find anything that said WAN settings. It says the login type is DHCP. I will understand if you give up on me, you are obviously a very intelligent person! OH, and OS is XP

SLAG
10-25-2005, 09:22 PM
I could not find anything that said WAN settings. It says the login type is DHCP. I will understand if you give up on me, you are obviously a very intelligent person! OH, and OS is XP

Thanks
Not giving up yet lets go back to your original question

Is it normal for my wirless router (linksys) to lose connection sometimes??...

When you state that do you mean to your isp or just your wireless and thats when you lose the connection on your computer?

DMAC
10-26-2005, 08:23 AM
no just my wireless. it happens one of two ways. either my computer will still be picking it up but explorer says cannot find, or i will lose the signal. in the first case i just restart my computer. in the second case i restart the router. both work after i do these.

SLAG
10-26-2005, 01:10 PM
no just my wireless. it happens one of two ways. either my computer will still be picking it up but explorer says cannot find, or i will lose the signal. in the first case i just restart my computer. in the second case i restart the router. both work after i do these.

Ok Cool....

Well next time Explorer gives you that error..... Do this...
Go to..

START
then
RUN

type in: CMD

a DOS window should appear then type: ipconfig /renew_all

should fix your problem as long as your computer can see the router.

Possibly your wireless range may not be very good.. (i.e. Router in Basement and PC on 13th Level of your Mansion) There are some home made Antennas that can greatly boost your signal.

DMAC
10-26-2005, 01:36 PM
OK, Ill try that. But the reception is always excellent...even in the west wing of my 800 sq. ft. apartment

SLAG
10-26-2005, 03:53 PM

I still need further explination of your second problem

DMAC
10-26-2005, 07:19 PM
i wish i knew more to tell you. it hasnt done it since i got home today. mabye just a weird phenonema?

ps how the heck do i make a picture show up on my posts? if i attatch something it doesnt do anything. what am i missing?

SLAG
10-26-2005, 11:35 PM
i wish i knew more to tell you. it hasnt done it since i got home today. mabye just a weird phenonema?

ps how the heck do i make a picture show up on my posts? if i attatch something it doesnt do anything. what am i missing?

Make sure after you select the file you choose ADD THIS FILE

XXXshogunXXX
10-26-2005, 11:49 PM
could be wireless interference..try changing the channels on the router. And keep the router away from cordless phones and stuff.. Or...it could be a neighbor stealing and lagging your wireless connection..

Mecca
10-27-2005, 04:10 AM
My wireless connection, loses it's connection sometimes. But I think mine comes from the fact that I have 2 computers in my house both coming off the same modem.

The one that's in the same room as the modem never loses connection. This one is a good distance from the modem so I think that's why this one does that sometimes.

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 08:04 AM
could be wireless interference..try changing the channels on the router. And keep the router away from cordless phones and stuff.. Or...it could be a neighbor stealing and lagging your wireless connection..

That's what it sounds like to me too.