PDA

View Full Version : So what's the deal with Shawn Barber?

cmh6476
10-25-2005, 10:00 PM
i searched, didn't see anything except an article from 10/19.

He was on KCFX with CP the Thurs. night before the Fins game, sitting in for Trent.

They said he can now start practicing with the team, and the Chiefs now have 3 full weeks to evaluate him. But from the radio show, it really sounded optimistic and like Barber could get in there and start practicing at any time. But anything could happen once contact starts. Will he be ready to go during full contract drills on what, Thursday?

I think he could be a huge bonus on D, allowing use to utilize the 3-4 like Gun wanted to do with Fox. If Barber can get to the level he used to play at, this would be a very solid addition to our defense.

Anybody hearing anything else?

Cochise
10-25-2005, 10:14 PM
The way I understand it, they have 3 weeks to return him to practice, once they have done that, they have I think another 3 weeks to evaluate him. After that they either have to put him on IR or return him to the active roster.

It may not be 3 weeks and 3 weeks, but that is the gist of it.

Frazod
10-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Who?

:shake:

Count Zarth
10-25-2005, 10:32 PM
One could easily argue Barber looked a lot better the last two years than Bell has looked this year.

I don't know how effective Barber will be after the injury though.

Wallcrawler
10-25-2005, 11:13 PM
It would be nice to see him be able to come back and play to the level he played at before he got hurt. I really dont know how much help he can be though, as most guys usually lose a significant amount of speed after an injury like he had.

With Fujita traded, and Keyaron Fox hurt, it would be a real boost to the team if he could come back and be a significant help to the defense.

KCFANinNC
10-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Who would you take off the field, assuming we stay with a 4-3 base?

Count Zarth
10-25-2005, 11:56 PM
He's talking about the 3-4. Griffin would be replaced by Barber. Or not, who knows. Barber's a pretty soft LB, I don't think he's Gunther's kind of guy.

milkman
10-26-2005, 07:23 AM
He's talking about the 3-4. Griffin would be replaced by Barber. Or not, who knows. Barber's a pretty soft LB, I don't think he's Gunther's kind of guy.

I would disagree with that.

He was a mean SOB, and hard hitting MFer in Philly.

I was pretty happy to get him, though Spikes was my first choice.

Spinner neutered him, like he did the rest of the D.

We did get a glimspe of his Philly style pay when he laid out Gannon, though.

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Yeah, Barber sure was soft in Philadelphia.

Just another example of why KC is the place defensive players go to die.

ROYC75
10-26-2005, 07:34 AM
Right now Griffin and Scanlon have been filling in on the 3-4 and the 4-4 package.

I agree with, How effective will Barber be after the injury ? That was a serious knee injury and it usually takes 1 1/2 years to fully rehab and be 100 % again.

sedated
10-26-2005, 07:36 AM
He might add some depth, but a severe knee injury that late in his career is tough.
He's no Priest - he's very likely done, they just hold onto him for the cap relief.

Hoover
10-26-2005, 07:41 AM
If he wcould come back 100% yet this year, I would do a shift to the 3-4 as our base defense.

Hicks, Dalton, Allen (With Hall and Browning in the rotation at DE)

Barber, Bell, Mitchell, DJ at LB (Lots of Speed!)

I like that front seven a lot

Count Zarth
10-26-2005, 12:52 PM

Apart from one hit on Rich Gannon, he's appeared soft in KC.

Dunit35
10-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Im guessing Barber will go on IR, and then given a chance during Training camp and pre season and if he fails, he will get cut.

Bowser
10-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Apart from one hit on Rich Gannon, he's appeared soft in KC.

Soft? No.

Misused? Yes.

Count Zarth
10-26-2005, 05:07 PM
I still think he's soft. Like Fujita.

Bowser
10-26-2005, 05:11 PM

Speaking of, how's Fujita looked in Dallas with Parcells coaching him?

Count Zarth
10-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Speaking of, how's Fujita looked in Dallas with Parcells coaching him?

He has 12 tackles.

HemiEd
10-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Why can't we get lucky on one of these injuries, just once. I would love to see him make it back right away.

milkman
10-26-2005, 05:21 PM

Name one player in the Spinner scheme that wasn't soft.

NaptownChief
10-26-2005, 05:24 PM

Only funny cause it is true.

As for the topic...My guess is Barber has already played his last game in a Chiefs uni...at least under his current contract. His base salary next season is 2.75 million and 3.5 million in 2007. They will toss him on IR this season. He got a $5.5 million signing bonus so they will whack him June 1st next year which will defer the remaining $2.357 million cap hit into 2007 which will most likely be dramatically increased by the CBA.

Just add him to the long and distinguished list of very low production/high compensation players that the Chiefs have run through the system.