PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: No TV for MU/KU this weekend

tk13
10-26-2005, 02:18 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12996886.htm

Television has no love for the local college football teams

JEFFREY FLANAGAN

Eight of the teams in the Big 12 will be featured on television this Saturday.

The four that won’t be? Well, three of them — you guessed it — will be Kansas, Missouri and Kansas State.

The Missouri-Kansas game and the Colorado-Kansas State game will be the only two games not televised by the Big 12’s television partners — ABC, TBS and Fox Sports Net.

Not a whole lot of love coming our way from Dallas — home of the Big 12 — or the networks.

But before anyone starts blasting the Big 12, know that the networks don’t devote much time listening to each conference’s thoughts about which game will draw the best ratings.

“We really don’t have much input,” said Big 12 associate commissioner Tim Allen. “I think one time they asked us. What really influences their decision the most is television households and what games will draw the highest ratings.

“And besides, we have to look at what is in the best interests of the whole conference. If we were to somehow get the K-State-Colorado game on one network or the Missouri-KU game on, we’d be taking a television appearance away from someone else in the conference. From a conference standpoint, that can’t be what we’re about.”

As it is, ABC will be showing a Big 12 doubleheader starting with Oklahoma-Nebraska at 11 a.m. followed by Iowa State-Texas A&M at 2:30.

“No one can argue about Oklahoma-Nebraska,” Allen said. “With Iowa State, you have the whole state of Iowa, and then you have A&M pulling in the Texas market.”

Fox Sports Net, which includes Fox Sports Midwest in our area, and Fox Sports Southwest and Fox Sports Rocky Mountain, is going with Texas Tech and Baylor at 11:30 a.m.

“That’s a case where you have an entertaining, high-scoring team in Texas Tech,” Allen said, “going against a Baylor team that has had very few appearances on television over the years and is having success all of a sudden. That’s a game of interest.”

At 6 p.m., TBS is showing Texas at Oklahoma State.

“The deal with that is this is TBS’ first chance all season to get Texas, the No. 1 team (in the BCS),” Allen said. “That was an easy decision for them.”

Left out in the cold is anyone fired up over the MU-KU rivalry.

The only option left would have been to produce the game locally and air it on pay-per-view.

But pay-per-views can only be done outside the network-owned window of 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. In other words, KU-MU would have had to gone to a 10:30 a.m. start or a 6:30 p.m. start, either of which might have hurt attendance.

jspchief
10-26-2005, 08:35 AM
The Big 12 TV package is a joke.

The Big 10 has TV crews at every single game every week. At the very least, the games are available locally and via satellite packages.

Skip Towne
10-26-2005, 08:39 AM
No MU/KU is probably for the best. If I didn't see it, it didn't happen.

Braincase
10-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Even though I support Iowa State, their logic is flawed. "We can't ignore an entire state (even though more than 50% of Iowanians prefer Iowa over Iowa State) because they're playing a team from Texas, but it's OK to ignore three states in the Big 12 North, because, after all, none of them are playing a team from Texas."

Screw Texas. They joined our conference, not the other way around.

ROYC75
10-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Can KU take MU........ again ?

Frazod
10-26-2005, 10:02 AM
If Kansas was a real state, this shit wouldn't happen. :cuss:

ROYC75
10-26-2005, 10:04 AM
If Kansas was a real state, this shit wouldn't happen. :cuss:

So show me how Missouri is ?

Frazod
10-26-2005, 10:17 AM
So show me how Missouri is ?

Missouri - state with major cities, professional sports teams and a population large enough to generate TV interest, assuming we're playing teams from an equivalent state

Kansas - vast, empty f#cking wasteland

Any questions?

Brock
10-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Missouri - state with major cities, professional sports teams and a population large enough to generate TV interest, assuming we're playing teams from an equivalent state

Any questions?

BFD, so you can't watch your second rate college FB team choke to KU again.

ROYC75
10-26-2005, 10:35 AM

Any questions?

Morning little buddy from MO. that lives in IL......

Even that wasn't good enough. Your theory has holes in it. MU is not a selling market to the NATION. Neither is KU in football, but basketball, they have several nation TV games per year.

The state has little to do with it. It's the event, Why is it the LPGA played at Prairie Dunes, because of the event, not the state or the closest populated city.

When you speak of KC, don't give me the BS that KCMO is the market for the Chiefs and the Royals. It's the metro area that supports both teams. Same as the St.Louis area, it's a border city that supports both professional teams.

As for vast wasteland....... next time you bite into that bread you eat I want you to think about the hard working farmers across the country ( many of them Ks wheat farmers) that work endless hours to make the wheat for that bread you are stuffing in that pie hole. :D :p

Frazod
10-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Morning little buddy from MO. that lives in IL......

Even that wasn't good enough. Your theory has holes in it. MU is not a selling market to the NATION. Neither is KU in football, but basketball, they have several nation TV games per year.

The state has little to do with it. It's the event, Why is it the LPGA played at Prairie Dunes, because of the event, not the state or the closest populated city.

When you speak of KC, don't give me the BS that KCMO is the market for the Chiefs and the Royals. It's the metro area that supports both teams. Same as the St.Louis area, it's a border city that supports both professional teams.

As for vast wasteland....... next time you bite into that bread you eat I want you to think about the hard working farmers across the country ( many of them Ks wheat farmers) that work endless hours to make the wheat for that bread you are stuffing in that pie hole. :D :p

I see you're a bit testy with that broom hanging over your head. :p

Braincase
10-26-2005, 10:54 AM

Any questions?

You forgot the part about owning your ass. We have half the population of Missouri, and three Division One schools with visits to the Final Four, and y'all can't even muster ONE.

Yes, Mizzou will probably beat KU in football for the first time in the last couple of years. But then again, I've said that the last two times KU & MU have met.

And no, you apparently don't have enough of a population to generate interest. You're somewhere behind half of Iowa, an eighth of Texas, but ahead of Boulder...

ROYC75
10-26-2005, 10:55 AM
I see you're a bit testy with that broom hanging over your head. :p

Heh, I sensed a little MU smack in your 1st response.

Go Jayhawks ! :D :p