PDA

View Full Version : The "I hate network TV, but..." thread

Braincase
10-26-2005, 06:33 AM
I found a network TV show that I enjoyed. I'm pretty big on the History Channel, TLC, Discovery, Science CHannel, Military CHannel, and lately the DIY Network.

I found a show I like on Network TV.

"My Name Is Earl"

Crack me the f*** up.

seclark
10-26-2005, 06:43 AM
what's it on?

dog the bounty hunter's a pretty mean brah, brah.
sec

jspchief
10-26-2005, 07:01 AM
On NBC. I saw the first one, but haven't watched it since. I've always thought Jason Lee was funny. Thought "Earl" was okay.

My guilty pleasure on network TV (besides The Office) is "Two and a Half Men" with Charlie Sheen. It's not great, but the little kid on that show is completely hilarious.

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 07:04 AM
On NBC. I saw the first one, but haven't watched it since. I've always thought Jason Lee was funny. Thought "Earl" was okay.

My guilty pleasure on network TV (besides The Office) is "Two and a Half Men" with Charlie Sheen. It's not great, but the little kid on that show is completely hilarious.

I've been DVR'ing that Earl show after a friend said it was worth checking out. I don't watch a lot of sit-com shows on the major networks, but figured I'd check it out. I've watched 24 the last two seasons.

Most recently, the wife and I watched the 2nd season of Nip/Tuck so we've been watching the 3rd season which is on now.

Fat Elvis
10-26-2005, 07:05 AM
My Name is Earl followed by The Office is the one-two punch that NBC has been missing since, well, forever, as far as I'm concerned.

I even showed him my good boob.

kepp
10-26-2005, 07:08 AM
My Name is Earl followed by The Office is the one-two punch that NBC has been missing since, well, forever, as far as I'm concerned.

I even showed him my good boob.
Yep...I TIVO both of those. Funny stuff.

"What's up, crab man?!"

Gaz
10-26-2005, 07:16 AM
The “network” TV list is pretty short:
• ER [although we are flirting with dumping it from the Season Pass]
• NUMB3RS
• House

Mrs. Gaz and I are watching “Lost, Season One” on DVD and enjoying it a lot more than I anticipated.. If the quality stays high, we might have to add it to the Season Pass.

xoxo~
Gaz
Harder to please as he gets older & grumpier.

Braincase
10-26-2005, 07:39 AM
what's it on?

dog the bounty hunter's a pretty mean brah, brah.
sec

ABC Tuesday Nights @ 8:30 CST.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-26-2005, 07:39 AM
Earl and The office are a bit of a breath of fresh air and about the only sit-coms I care to watch. I did enjoy According To Jim last night but mostly because of Kimberly Williams in her cat woman suit.

The only drama's I care for are the original CSI and Without A Trace... and the latter is mostly because of Poppy Montgumery....... rrrrraaarrrrr...

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 07:46 AM
Yep...I TIVO both of those. Funny stuff.

"What's up, crab man?!"

Randy is the fat kid from "Remember the Titans".

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Earl and The office are a bit of a breath of fresh air and about the only sit-coms I care to watch. I did enjoy According To Jim last night but mostly because of Kimberly Williams in her cat woman suit.

The only drama's I care for are the original CSI and Without A Trace... and the latter is mostly because of Poppy Montgumery....... rrrrraaarrrrr...

I only watch two dramas, and only one of them is network. I watch "Rome" and "House" and that's it...

BigRedChief
10-26-2005, 07:49 AM
:clap: I love Earl. Funniest show on TV.

Jason Lee was hilarious in its a guy thing. If you havent seen it check it out. It's an "Earl" type of humor movie.

Nzoner
10-26-2005, 07:52 AM
I was getting ready to settle in for Law & Order SVU(the only show I watch regularly)when I saw previews for next week's Earl and they made me want to check it out.

stevieray
10-26-2005, 07:55 AM
The Biggest Loser

AZORChiefFan
10-26-2005, 08:01 AM
I saw an episode of Earl. Thought it was pretty funny. I also enjoy Arrested Development, Lost, Myth Busters, probably a couple others but the ones I have to watch or have a season pass for are AD and Lost.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-26-2005, 08:03 AM
The Biggest Loser
Leave Taco out of this.

Braincase
10-26-2005, 08:03 AM
The Biggest Loser

No need for insults, FDE.

kepp
10-26-2005, 08:11 AM
I knew he looked familiar. Good eye.

stevieray
10-26-2005, 08:11 AM
that show rocks, a guy went from 401 down to 264 pounds.

Iowanian
10-26-2005, 08:12 AM
Earl has alot of potential..........with bonus of Jamie Presley dressed like a trailer park hooker.

"oh no you di'int go old school"

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Earl has alot of potential..........with bonus of Jamie Presley dressed like a trailer park hooker.

Has Jaime Presley ever done anything (besides Poison Ivy) where she wasn't dressed like a trailer park hooker?

Not that I'm complaining.

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 08:15 AM

Poor Jamie Pressley. She's been pidgeon-holed as a hot, white trash, trailer park bitch. Whether it's "Bring It On, "Joe Dirt", or now this show, it's the only role she's getting...

Iowanian
10-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Except for her "rich hooker" appearance on Entourage.

She's still Juicy....in that trashy "try that thing your girlfriend won't let you do" sorta way. I've been hooked since her Maxim spread a few years back.

Fat Elvis
10-26-2005, 08:21 AM
Dibs.

Frosty
10-26-2005, 08:22 AM
• ER [although we are flirting with dumping it from the Season Pass]

My wife finally dumped ER this year, after faithfully watching it from the beginning. I lost interest years ago.

I was interested at the beginning of the season in the "Lost" inspired shows - Surface, Invasion and Threshold. Invasion is terrible. Very slow and too much "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" for me. I'm teetering on Threshold. It starting to get too repetitive.

The one I had the least expectations for - Surface- is actually turning out to be pretty entertaining. I don't know how they can stretch it out for more than a season, though. It would have made a really good mini-series.

The Night Stalker also has some promise, but needs to pick it up soon. Whoever made the decision to put it up against CSI was an idiot. I doubt it will be around long enough to catch it's groove.

mlyonsd
10-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Boston Legal would IMO be the funniest show on tv this year.

Lzen
10-26-2005, 09:02 AM
The Law & Orders are about the only ones on network TV that we (or I should say "I") watch anymore. I guess I should add Invasion to that list. Although it is moving along so slowly that I'm starting to get bored and/or annoyed with it.

BigRedChief
10-26-2005, 09:08 AM
Except for her "rich hooker" appearance on Entourage.

She's still Juicy....in that trashy "try that thing your girlfriend won't let you do" sorta way. I've been hooked since her Maxim spread a few years back.

She's been all down hill since she married the crab man

Kclee
10-26-2005, 09:17 AM

Little Girl:"Wow! It's a schooner!"
Willam:"You dumb bastard! That's not a schooner, it's a sailboat!"
Little Boy:"A schooner is a sailboat, stupidhead!"
Willam:"Well you know what? THERE IS NO EASTER BUNNY! OVER THERE, THAT'S JUST A GUY IN A SUIT!!"

Ultra Peanut
10-26-2005, 09:21 AM
My guilty pleasure on network TV (besides The Office)How is The Office a guilty pleasure? It's one of the few shining beacons on network TV, but it's an excellent adaptation and a wonderful show in its own right.

My list of shows on network TV that I deem worthy of my time/TiVo HD space:
t-1. Arrested Development*
t-1. Veronica Mars**
3. House
4. The Office
5. Lost
6. Everybody Hates Chris
7. My Name Is Earl
8. Prison Break (now this is something you can describe as a guilty pleasure)

*Best show in the history of television.
**Best drama in the history of television.

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 09:23 AM
She's been all down hill since she married the crab man

Who is the crab man?

I watch Mythbusters on Wed's. Enjoyed the series Dangerous Catch when it was on too. I want to start watching that series with Dennis Leary...Rescue Me?

Ultra Peanut
10-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Poor Jamie Pressley. She's been pidgeon-holed as a hot, white trash, trailer park bitch. Whether it's "Bring It On, "Joe Dirt", or now this show, it's the only role she's getting...There's typecasting, and there's "knowing your niche."

MNiE is fun, especially Rubberband -- err, Crab -- Man:

"Hey, Earl. Joy wanted me to bring you these poisoned cookies."

By the way, if anyone watches both Veronica Mars and Arrested Development, how familiar was the scene in "Cheatty Cheatty Bang Bang" when Dick Sr. heard about the SEC being there and started ordering everyone to start shredding? ROFL

His, "Oh, son," when he found out Cassidy had hired a private eye was priceless. Poor Beav.

kepp
10-26-2005, 09:27 AM
There's typecasting, and there's "knowing your niche."

MNiE is fun, especially Rubberband -- err, Crab -- Man:

"Hey, Earl. Joy wanted me to bring you these poisoned cookies."
Earl: Randy...don't eat those. They're poison
Randy: How poison? ROFL

BigRedChief
10-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Who is the crab man?
A dude on the my name is Earl show

Ultra Peanut
10-26-2005, 09:30 AM
A dude on the my name is Earl showAlso famous for his Office Max "Rubberband Man" commercials, and his smile's just as infectious in MNiE as it is in the commercials.

http://rubberbandman.officemax.com/

ChiefsGirl
10-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Also famous for his Office Max "Rubberband Man" commercials, and his smile's just as infectious in MNiE as it is in the commercials.

http://rubberbandman.officemax.com/

And a banjo playing idiot in Cold Mountain.

Iowanian
10-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Not the same guy...randy is that guy...saw my wife watching that.

Broads think TV shows about watching someone clean their house, and paint each other's kitchens is good TV....pffffffffft.

ChiefsGirl
10-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Not the same guy...randy is that guy...saw my wife watching that.

Broads think TV shows about watching someone clean their house, and paint each other's kitchens is good TV....pffffffffft.

Doh - my bad. I was thinking that was who they were talking about for some reason.

Reaper16
10-26-2005, 10:01 AM
"My Name is Earl" is great stuff. I'd talk about the show, but it'd just sound like me giving Jason Lee a reach-around.
I also very much enjoy Fox's "House."

Bill Lundberg
10-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Tuesday night is my network TV night. Earl, The Office, then Boston Legal on ABC.

Boston Legal is great, I didn't watch the first year because I don't care for the lawyer shows. My wife loves them and after a year of hearing her laugh out loud in the other room, I decided to give it a shot. Now I'm hooked.

mike_b_284
10-26-2005, 10:14 AM
My Name Is Earl is great, Prison break was cool at first but has become tedious to watch. NCIS has grown on me and arrested development is good. I don't have cable so I have to settle for this stuff. The combonation of my dvd burner and Blockbuster's movie pass has got me through the last year of no cable.

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 10:34 AM
"My Name is Earl" is great stuff. I'd talk about the show, but it'd just sound like me giving Jason Lee a reach-around.
I also very much enjoy Fox's "House."

"House" is my favorite show and the only one I watch religiously.

For some reason, I identify with the main character. ;)

Reaper16
10-26-2005, 10:43 AM
"House" is my favorite show and the only one I watch religiously.

For some reason, I identify with the main character. ;)
Me too; what an excellent character. And great writing on the show. Fantastic stuff.

Lzen
10-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Who is the crab man?

I watch Mythbusters on Wed's. Enjoyed the series Dangerous Catch when it was on too. I want to start watching that series with Dennis Leary...Rescue Me?

Yeah, Rescue Me is the name. I watched most of the first season. Haven't really felt compelled to watch this season. Speaking of FX series', The Shield is one I definitely don't miss. That show was getting really good by the end of the season. Won't start back up until January, though.

And USA has a couple decent shows - The Dead Zone and The 4400.
Sci Fi Channel, too - Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, and Stargate SG-1.

I didn't include any of these in my original list because I always think of network TV as over the air stations. These stations you can only get on cable or satellite.

Otter
10-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Nip Tuck is about the only show outside of sports, history channel and discover channel that get my regular attention.

Rhona Mitra is a nice Nip Tuck bonus too.

Explain to me why I'm paying $50 bucks a month for cable again.

Simplex3
10-26-2005, 11:14 AM
And a banjo playing idiot in Cold Mountain.
Cold Mountain. There's three hours of my life I'd kill anyone involved in that movie to get back.

:mad:

milkman
10-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Cold Mountain. There's three hours of my life I'd kill anyone involved in that movie to get back.

Cold Mountain?

Is that the movie with Nocole Kidman and Rene Zellwieger(sp)?

If so, I'm on the killing spree with ya.

jspchief
10-26-2005, 11:19 AM

:mad:I thought it was pretty good considering the main plot line was a romance. I'd give it a thumbs up for the date movie or chick flick category.

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Cold Mountain?

Is that the movie with Nocole Kidman and Rene Zellwieger(sp)?

If so, I'm on the killing spree with ya.

this is the last movie that my wife picked to see at the movies. We'll never allow that again...

kepp
10-26-2005, 11:57 AM

I remember my wife and I renting that and being fairly excited about it because of the hype it was getting. What a horrible, depressing movie. We also thought that about Mystic River.

BigRedChief
10-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Hey lets get back on topic and off that piss poor movie.
http://www.nbc.com/My_Name_Is_Earl/photos/images/earl_p1.jpg
Whether picking up trash, returning stolen merchandise, or helping a homosexual find love, it always has the same reward… feeling good about yourself.

KcMizzou
10-26-2005, 01:05 PM
I've always liked Jason Lee. I've been meaning to catch the show... but I haven't so far.

tk13
10-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I think Earl is a real interesting idea for a show, love the concept, but I just haven't gotten into it yet. There are some funny moments but it's not cracking me up like The Office does. I think it's gotten better as it's gone along, I hope NBC doesn't give up on either show.

Sportswax
10-26-2005, 01:43 PM
"Earl" is great... but I can't believe they're already showing reruns. I tend to watch (and DVR) the cable shows like Daily Show, Colbert, Weeds (on Showtime), and anything HBO comes up with. 24 and Numb3rs are worthy sometimes, but the production values of each are lacking. 24 seems to always have the same scenery going on... and I've not missed an episode.

I really would have to say that my guilty pleasure would have to be either Grey's Anatomy or Desperate Housewives. My girlfriend watches those religiously... and I usually watch with her. It almost feels like watching soap operas.

See my "favorite news channel" thread.... so we can see where everyone really hangs their coats.

Kclee
10-26-2005, 01:47 PM
I think Earl is a real interesting idea for a show, love the concept, but I just haven't gotten into it yet. There are some funny moments but it's not cracking me up like The Office does. I think it's gotten better as it's gone along, I hope NBC doesn't give up on either show.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271%7C97778%7C1%7C,00.html

The Office only had 6 episodes for this season and they upped it 7 more to 13. The ratings are improving.

tk13
10-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Earl was just a rerun last night because of the World Series. I know The Office comes back with a new episode next week, so I'm pretty sure Earl does too...

tk13
10-26-2005, 01:57 PM
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271%7C97778%7C1%7C,00.html

The Office only had 6 episodes for this season and they upped it 7 more to 13. The ratings are improving.
Yeah I knew about that. They're hanging with it, the ratings have been doing better but not great, I guess from what I read it's doing great from 18 to 34ish, or so, but from the upper 30's to 49 it's not doing well at all. From what I've read "Joey" might be the first show to get yanked anyway... and they'd move Earl over to Thursday night. We'll see.

ck_IN
10-26-2005, 01:58 PM
I've found two I like. Threshold and Supernatural. They're both just X Files enough to be interesting.

Ultra Peanut
10-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Yeah I knew about that. They're hanging with it, the ratings have been doing better but not great, I guess from what I read it's doing great from 18 to 34ish, or so, but from the upper 30's to 49 it's not doing well at all. From what I've read "Joey" might be the first show to get yanked anyway... and they'd move Earl over to Thursday night. We'll see.Didn't Everybody Hates Chris beat Joey head-to-head at one point? I don't care how much hype the show's had, a UPN show beating an NBC show is something that cannot be good for the latter.

Speaking of which, UPN may be considered a joke of a network, but it's got two shows worth watching. VM is utterly fantastic, of course, and EHC is a smart, funny, endearing little show in its own right. It's not as wickedly hilarious as Arrested Development (what is?) or The Office, but it's got a heart-warming feel to it that's vaguely reminiscent of Earl, and a lot of very funny moments to go along with it.

Frosty
10-26-2005, 02:20 PM
I've found two I like. Threshold and Supernatural. They're both just X Files enough to be interesting.

Yeah, I like Supernatural so far, too, even though it's a little bit "X-Files 90210".

Sportswax
10-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah, and MEDIUM is alright. Don't care much for the Love-Hewitt ripoff, though.

Sportswax
10-26-2005, 02:27 PM
My only real favorite network show is...

ABC Monday Night Football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigRedChief
10-26-2005, 02:34 PM
My only real favorite network show is...

ABC Monday Night Football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And thats already canceled

Ultra Peanut
10-26-2005, 02:42 PM
And thats already canceledROFL

Ultra Peanut
10-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Fun Everybody Hates Chris note:

Drew, his brother, eats with chopsticks. Those who remember something about him from a few episodes back will know why this is funny, and a great little detail that's never been acknowledged by the show itself.

Chromatic
10-26-2005, 03:07 PM
The Shield
Rescue Me
Nip/Tuck

Best shows on TV, in my opinion. Cutting edge television at it's best.

FX have ****ing genious' running their television shows.

ck_IN
10-26-2005, 03:16 PM
I got turned onto The Ghost Whisperer the other night. I appeared to have some promise. If for no other reason then the chick lead.

X Files 90210, hmm I hadn't thought of that. I never watched 90210, wasn't it a little soap opera-ish?

Frosty
10-26-2005, 03:38 PM
X Files 90210, hmm I hadn't thought of that. I never watched 90210, wasn't it a little soap opera-ish?

I just meant from the "everyone's young and attractive with perfect hair" point of view. I'm sure there's a more up to date comparison (The O.C. Files? :shrug: ).

big nasty kcnut
10-28-2005, 11:00 AM
My name is earl is awesome. Best one was the one where he was calling karma like it was a superhero. It the best comedy on tv.

BigMeatballDave
10-28-2005, 11:06 AM
'Earl' is pretty funny. My favorite is 'The Office'.
Others I cannot miss:
Lost
ER
Greys Anatomy
Desperate Housewives
Two and a Half men