PDA

View Full Version : Quit smoking

acasas4
10-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Hey everyone, I quit smoking yesterday and although I'm new to the Planet I'd appreciate it if some of you who have quit would throw a little support my way. Thanks

StcChief
10-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Good for you. Cold turkey or patch?

Stay out of smokey bars, away from women/men that smoke.

If you drink and then want to smoke...could be issue.

Good luck.

Archie F. Swin
10-26-2005, 08:41 AM
First week's the toughest...gets much easier after that. Just stay away from sharp objects. I'm proud of you!

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 08:41 AM
have you tried snuff?
its always helped me quit smoking.

BigRedChief
10-26-2005, 08:42 AM
We have had several lengthy discusssions on quitting smoking and how the Planet members accomplished quitting in theses threads. Over 200 posts between the two threads. Good luck! :clap:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=121666&highlight=smoking

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=126896&highlight=smoking

cookster50
10-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Good luck.

I don't smoke, never have, never will, but I bet Rosy Palmer can help you take your mind off the smokes.

JimNasium
10-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Quitting was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's tough but the benefits are varied and significant. Hang in there.

Frazod
10-26-2005, 09:04 AM
I quit 2 1/2 months ago. Still going strong.

Try not to eat every damned thing in sight (unlike me).

acasas4
10-26-2005, 09:12 AM
have you tried snuff?
Yeah. I tried the 3 step program before, going to cigars then a pipe then snuff, but ended up back on cigarettes. :shrug: Decided to try not using any tobacco this time. Thanks anyway. ROFL

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Hey everyone, I quit smoking yesterday and although I'm new to the Planet I'd appreciate it if some of you who have quit would throw a little support my way. Thanks

quit for 3 1/2 months. Got a prescription of Welbutrin (around 75 bones since it's not covered by insurance unless you're "depressed"). The Welbutrin helped. Quitting definately plays some mind games on you. The first month is a bitch. I had trouble concentrating on work and sh1t and would just completely forget what I was doing about 2 weeks into it. Not sure why I picked it back up...

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Yeah. I tried the 3 step program before, going to cigars then a pipe then snuff, but ended up back on cigarettes. :shrug: Decided to try not using any tobacco this time. Thanks anyway. ROFL

hehe, did the same. I would "treat" myself to a cigar every weekend. Then I went to the Backwoods, Black & Milds and was at the point of inhaling the damn things just for the lung shock factor...

such a sick habit...

acasas4
10-26-2005, 09:14 AM
We have had several lengthy discusssions on quitting smoking and how the Planet members accomplished quitting in theses threads. Over 200 posts between the two threads. Good luck! :clap:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=121666&highlight=smoking

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=126896&highlight=smoking
Thank you for the links!

acasas4
10-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Good luck.

I don't smoke, never have, never will, but I bet Rosy Palmer can help you take your mind off the smokes.
Has she got any sisters?

petegz28
10-26-2005, 09:15 AM
I quit cold turkey over 5 years ago. The biggest thing that helped me was having a pak of Cigs in my car. This way I wasn't thinking about them every time I passed a gas station. I knew I had them should I really need one. And from ther eI jsut made it a challenge. Who would win, me or the cigs?

Everytime I tried before that was always after my last cig and it never worked. Also sticking your face in a dirty ash tray helps too. seriously.

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Also sticking your face in a dirty ash tray helps too. seriously.

probably would, you don't realize how bad smokers smell until you quit for about a week. The stench is amazing. Almost nauseating.

ChiefsGirl
10-26-2005, 09:18 AM
"Quittin' smokin' is kinda like going to prison. If you can last three days, you'll be fine" - Earl

Biohazard
10-26-2005, 09:58 AM
have you tried snuff?
The real stuff(powder) is bad stuff, makes the side of my face go numb, my nose starts burning and I sneeze uncontrolably. But it is one hella good buzz! :)

Phobia
10-26-2005, 10:07 AM
I quit the Copenhagen Jan 2nd of this year. For me, quitting was hard because it was always about something other than myself. I was quitting for my kids, my wife, because it was expensive, because it was a new year's resolution, because I had been doing it a decade, and a host of other reasons. When I finally resolved to quit for ME, I did so. I intentionally dipped all day Jan 1st so it wasn't about a new year's resolution.

FWIW

mike_b_284
10-26-2005, 10:20 AM
He is right about drinking, it makes it worse. Get a hobby to keep your hands busy. Lotion will prevent chaffing.

KUalum
10-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Congratulations - I quit 10 days ago - and I can tell you that it does get much easier after the 1st week. For me it seemed as though cigarette devils were screaming my name from everywhere the first 5 days. Now they've all lost their voice so even when they are screaming it's only a whisper.
I am using the gum and find that it is very helpful when you have a weak moment.

ptlyon
10-26-2005, 10:57 AM
If you drink and then want to smoke...could be issue.

Heh. I had a buddy come back from leave from the Army and we went fishing. He lit up a cig and I said "I didn't think you smoked."

His reply was, "Well I only smoke when I drink, and I drink all the time so I guess I smoke".

acasas4
10-26-2005, 11:02 AM
I quit the Copenhagen Jan 2nd of this year. For me, quitting was hard because it was always about something other than myself. I was quitting for my kids, my wife, because it was expensive, because it was a new year's resolution, because I had been doing it a decade, and a host of other reasons. When I finally resolved to quit for ME, I did so. I intentionally dipped all day Jan 1st so it wasn't about a new year's resolution.

FWIW
Congrats :clap:

acasas4
10-26-2005, 11:04 AM
He is right about drinking, it makes it worse. Get a hobby to keep your hands busy. Lotion will prevent chaffing.
:p

Carlota69
10-26-2005, 11:51 AM
I quit cold turkey over 8 years ago. Thje one thing I did was chew on straws. That really helped me. Good Luck.

BigRedChief
10-26-2005, 12:02 PM

FWIW

Yep thats the only way you can stay off the nictoine. Do it for yourself.