PDA

View Full Version : linebacker stats (ours and others)

el borracho
10-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Just for kicks thought I would throw out some stats. Following are the stats for games played/ tackles/ sacks:

Ours:

Mitchell 6/ 38/ 1
Johnson 6/ 38/ 1
Bell 6/ 15/ .5
Griffin 4/ 4/ 0
Scanlon 6/ 8/ 0

Others:

Urlacher 6/ 36/ 6
Trotter 5/ 34/ 1
R. Lewis 6/ 38/ 1
Hartwell 5/ 16/ 0

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 12:38 PM
what about SDs LBs?

Braincase
10-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Let me go on record as saying that this season, Rich Scanlon will have more tackles than Ed Hartwell.

Lzen
10-26-2005, 12:49 PM
2.5 sacks between all 3 of our LBers after 6 games is pathetic. Shows just how conservative they have been with them as far as blitzes. Or that they have telegraphed too many blitzes. Hopefully, now that Warfield is back, we'll see DJ and Kendrell get to the QB more.

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 12:51 PM
2.5 sacks between all 3 of our LBers after 6 games is pathetic. Shows just how conservative they have been with them as far as blitzes. Or that they have telegraphed too many blitzes. Hopefully, now that Warfield is back, we'll see DJ and Kendrell get to the QB more.

i think our LBs are playing decent-sacks are for lineman.

el borracho
10-26-2005, 01:13 PM
chargers:

Edwards 7/ 55/ 1
Godfrey 7/ 29/ 1
Leber 7/ 18/ 2
Merriman 6/ 11/ 2
Foley 7/ 16/ 2.5
Coope 7/ 4/ 0
Harris 2/ 2/ 1
Philips 6/ 8/ 2
Wilhelm 7/ 6/ 0

ChiTown
10-26-2005, 01:16 PM

Agreed.

We should be unleashing DJ a bit more now that Warfield is back in the lineup. However, until we get more consistent play from the DB's, we'll continue to saddle DJ in passing situations.

Amnorix
10-26-2005, 01:26 PM
For the record, "tackles" is one of the most useless stats in sports.

Sacks, on an individual or group basis, aren't too useful. If you play a straight 4 man rush all the time, and have a 4-3 scheme, then your LBs will have very few sacks indeed, which has nothng to do with their talent, but rather is a result of the schemes employed.

Pitt Gorilla
10-26-2005, 01:27 PM
It's a great thing that our LBs haven't "had" to get sacks. If you generate enough pressure with your front four, LBs can spend more time in coverage.

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 01:42 PM
For the record, "tackles" is one of the most useless stats in sports.

Sacks, on an individual or group basis, aren't too useful. If you play a straight 4 man rush all the time, and have a 4-3 scheme, then your LBs will have very few sacks indeed, which has nothng to do with their talent, but rather is a result of the schemes employed.

that might be true though high tackles in the secondary or high tackles by linemen speak volumes.

Frankie
10-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Kawika Mitchel = Derrick Johnson = Ray Lewis
Cool! ;)

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Kawika Mitchel = Derrick Johnson = Ray Lewis
Cool! ;)

and theyre on the up-swing.

Dunit35
10-26-2005, 02:11 PM
stats dont mean much, its all about the W's.

Frankie
10-26-2005, 02:19 PM
and theyre on the up-swing.
Just playing devil's advocate here. Maybe Lewis's play has degraded already.

But I like to agree with your optimistic take.

ROYC75
10-26-2005, 04:01 PM
The worst team in the league could easily have one of your top 5 tacklers , according to stats. Stats are over rated........

Thig Lyfe
10-26-2005, 04:06 PM
DJ is going to be a runaway D rookie of the year at this rate...

el borracho
10-26-2005, 04:21 PM
DJ is going to be a runaway D rookie of the year at this rate...
I'm not sure about that. That kid in Dallas (can't remember his name at the moment) is playing well, I think.

milkman
10-26-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure about that. That kid in Dallas (can't remember his name at the moment) is playing well, I think.

DeMarcus Ware.

According to NFL.com he has 4 sacks, 17 tkls and 1 pass defensed.

Sportswax
10-26-2005, 04:25 PM
chargers:

Edwards 7/ 55/ 1
Godfrey 7/ 29/ 1
Leber 7/ 18/ 2
Merriman 6/ 11/ 2
Foley 7/ 16/ 2.5
Coope 7/ 4/ 0
Harris 2/ 2/ 1
Philips 6/ 8/ 2
Wilhelm 7/ 6/ 0

Edwards looks great as usually, with the number of tackles... but let's not forget that he's injured this week. I think the ratio of tackles to sacks shows that our guys are keying on the running backs instead of the QB with most of the teams we've played to date. It would be wise to keep that trend up this week, too.

Frankie
10-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Edwards looks great as usually, with the number of tackles... but let's not forget that he's injured this week.
He's not playing against us?

el borracho
10-26-2005, 04:32 PM
P.S. While I agree with those saying that stats do not tell the complete story I do think that stats tell part of the story and can help identify trends.

Both Mitchell and Johnson are averaging over 6 tackles a game (likely a good performance) while each have only one sack through 6 games (not so good).

At least one identifiable trend is that our backers are not getting sacks. Seems like something the coaching staff could be working on. Couple that info with what we know about our Dline and you get at least a partial explanation for our defensive passing rating- not enough pressure up front. Again, something our coaches could be working on.

el borracho
10-26-2005, 04:34 PM
DeMarcus Ware.

According to NFL.com he has 4 sacks, 17 tkls and 1 pass defensed.
Ware! Yeah, if he ends up with ten or more sacks he will probably get DROY.

mike_b_284
10-26-2005, 04:38 PM
tackles for a loss, that is a better depiction of talent IMO

milkman
10-26-2005, 04:39 PM
P.S. While I agree with those saying that stats do not tell the complete story I do think that stats tell part of the story and can help identify trends.

Both Mitchell and Johnson are averaging over 6 tackles a game (likely a good performance) while each have only one sack through 6 games (not so good).

At least one identifiable trend is that our backers are not getting sacks. Seems like something the coaching staff could be working on. Couple that info with what we know about our Dline and you get at least a partial explanation for our defensive passing rating- not enough pressure up front. Again, something our coaches could be working on.

The problem is that Gun is using the LBs in a lot of zone coverage, and not blitzing them like he did years ago with DT.

I would like to see DJ blitz a little more, but the guy I really want to see unleashed on the QB is Bell.

milkman
10-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Ware! Yeah, if he ends up with ten or more sacks he will probably get DROY.

Yeah, the media is always swayed by sack numbers, but from what I've seen of Ware, I'm really not all that impressed.

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 04:47 PM
It's a great thing that our LBs haven't "had" to get sacks. If you generate enough pressure with your front four, LBs can spend more time in coverage.

have we really pressured the quarterback much? I'd have to look at the stats, but outside of Allen's game, I've been unimpressed with our front 4. I still want to see DJ lined up a la DT, just to see what he can do. Our current defensive strategy has been very un-Gunther-like. I thought he would have let these guys loose.

Merriman scares me though...that guy is a beast.

Sportswax
10-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Sacks are important when playing Philadelphia or Atlanta, or maybe even the Vikings...

but sacking a pocket passer like Drew Brees, who doesn't often run for extensive yardage... well, I think it should take a back seat to stuffing LT2 and covering Keenan McCardell. Those are the weapons that the Boltz use to mess with the Chiefs. Don't forget it's 2-2 against the Chargers over the expanse of the last two years, with them sweeping us last year (when the D was suffering) and us clobbering them the year before. They have the advantage all-time with a 24-20-1 win/loss/tie ratio over the Chiefs. I think we can add one to our list this weekend if we stop Tomlinson and Keenan.

Coach
10-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Let me go on record as saying that this season, Rich Scanlon will have more tackles than Ed Hartwell.

Well if you're implying the 2005 season, Scanlon has a good chance, considering that Hartwell is injured.

Scanlon: 9 Total Tackles 8.0 Solo 1 Assist.
Hartwell: 22 Total Tackles 16.0 Solo 6 Assists.

*Hey, someone has to do it. ;)*

milkman
10-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Sportswax.

That 24-20-1 can't be right, unless that's the record at SD only.

Fish
10-26-2005, 04:52 PM
I think Ware has some great potential. He's a tweener, so it's kinda hard to compare. He's had a couple good games and a couple games where he didn't do much at all....

I'd take DJ over him anyday though......

Iowanian
10-26-2005, 06:22 PM
The Eggo Board says Donnie Edwards is Questionable for Sunday, per the NFL channel.

Frankie
10-26-2005, 06:27 PM
The Eggo Board says Donnie Edwards is Questionable for Sunday, per the NFL channel.
Whoopie! :rolleyes: "Questionable" always plays.

Iowanian
10-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Questionable does not always play.

I'm not sure what his injury is, but if he's hurt that bad, he's not likely going to be on the top of his game if he does play...He'll be tackling holmes 7 yards past the los instead of 5.

Frankie
10-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Questionable does not always play.

I'm not sure what his injury is, but if he's hurt that bad, he's not likely going to be on the top of his game if he does play...He'll be tackling holmes 7 yards past the los instead of 5.
Oh he'll be on top of some player getting a ride for 7 yards. ;)

jspchief
10-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Odell Thurman will be DJ's biggest competition for DRoY. If the Chiefs don't have a good season, and show improvement on D, DJ will get passed up.