PDA

View Full Version : Next Years Draft

AustinChief
10-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Ok.. never too early to talk about the draft... :D

What position do you think needs to be taken in the first round?

As much as I want a premier WR... I would have to say offensive line.

--Kyle

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 01:04 PM
d-line just because.

AustinChief
10-26-2005, 01:05 PM
And this is who I would draft ...

Jonathan Scott
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/05.bios/scott_jonathan.htm

alanm
10-26-2005, 01:08 PM
:)

AustinChief
10-26-2005, 01:09 PM
:)

Just trying to add a football thread to the BBS... keep VailPass from throwing a hissy fit.

Cormac
10-26-2005, 01:16 PM
How about this sh** again....

I think our biggest need is D-line :banghead:. With Sims healthy we have "serviceable" DTs. Our DEs still suck. I like Hall and Allen, but they can't both play all the time. If we had somebody like Julius Peppers, we'd be made. We played well against a weak Oline last week. Overall, I still worry about our pass rush more than anything.

Having said that, we probably need youth more on offense. So, my second choice would be a LT.

HolmeZz
10-26-2005, 01:20 PM
DL or WR. Given where I think we'll be drafting in the first round, I'd opt for WR.

alanm
10-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Just trying to add a football thread to the BBS... keep VailPass from throwing a hissy fit.
Well, carry on then. Perhaps we can all start a thread about how much the Bronco's truly suck. :hmmm: PBJ

StcChief
10-26-2005, 01:24 PM
DLine..first thought. However depending on injury or retirements in Oline....

Roaf said he will be back. 2-3 yrs..
Oline - Others?

Draft higher - 24-32. Means we get in playoffs may endup with yet another WR project that may not pan out.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2005, 01:32 PM
1. defensive line is still weak ... a stud DE would do wonders.

2. offensive line is old

3. wide receiver

better coaching would help everything

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 01:50 PM
we could use help pretty much everywhere. We need a pass rusher in a serious way but also need to grab some help for the o-line. IMO Take the best available of either of those positions. We also need to start thinking about doing something as a replacement to Trent...either develop a QB or grab something in the free agent market. A legitimate #1 WR would be nice too, we've pretty much struck out in drafting that postion...forever.

Simplex3
10-26-2005, 01:51 PM
I think you have to figure out what you're going to do with Green. Sadly the Chiefs will blow the pick *cough*Blackledge*cough* as long as CP is around. I think they've spent plenty of picks on OL and DL in the past few years, it's time for those guys to step up and play. They haven't spent a real pick at QB in a long, long time have they?

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 01:55 PM
On D the talent level while much improved(compared to years past) still could use a huge talent swing on the d-line. An undertackle who can stunt and play NT is what i would go for either in FA or the draft(i dont watch college football so i dont have any prospects)

HemiEd
10-26-2005, 02:01 PM
O-Line
D-Line
QB

Chiefnj
10-26-2005, 02:05 PM
RD 1 best available athlete at a position of need (LT, WR, DE, DT, FS).

RD 2 - trade for a high quality position of need not addressed in the draft.

Rd 3 - best available athlete.

By best available athlete I don't mean workout numbers. College productivity with potential.

Ebolapox
10-26-2005, 02:20 PM
best.available.player
as.long.as.it.is.a.position
that.could.use.improvement
is.what.I.want.

-EB-

Ultra Peanut
10-26-2005, 02:24 PM
I'd post in this thread, but I don't want to give vailass the satisfaction.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2005, 02:30 PM
O-Line
D-Line
QB
you dumbass, donkey whoring asshat ... what kind of imbecilic answer is that. Do you think all these stupid, fugtard answers up while your taking a dump every morning or do you ....

err, i agree ... nevermind

Hi ya, Big Ed! http://img282.exs.cx/img282/8973/waving9ak.gif http://img282.exs.cx/img282/6433/geckonahnah2rt.gif

:D

Ebolapox
10-26-2005, 02:30 PM
yeah, but you're the board's resident weird relative...

-EB-

KCChiefsMan
10-26-2005, 02:47 PM
it all depends, I think D-Line is a huge need, I also think OT is going to be a big need depending on if Roaf stays, if a big QB prospect drops down to late in the 1st like Rodgers did last year then go with that. Hell, even if a stud DB was there.....

Tribal Warfare
10-26-2005, 02:55 PM
The BAA will be on the OL ,since this year has been the deepest at that position(s) since the 2000 draft

Sully
10-26-2005, 02:57 PM
It's kind of a toss up with O-Line, D-Line and to a lesser extent in my opinion, WR. So I think more depends on the talent at that position, which I think few are aware of at this point... (considering we don't even know which position we'll be in).

el borracho
10-26-2005, 03:09 PM
My wish list: DT, DE, WR, CB

milkman
10-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Hell, aside from possibly RB and LB, there isn't a position that doesn't need to be addressed in the draft next year.

OL, DL WR, CB, even safety all could use upgrades.

That essentially puts us in a position to draft the best player available, regardless of position.

chagrin
10-26-2005, 03:47 PM
We need to look to QB very, very soon but maybe next year.
We have not one single true #1 WR and we DO need one, doesn't have to be T.O. just a solid #1 - not just serviceable but SOLID.

DL and DE are needed as well.

I am just pointing out what I think we should focus on, in the order in which I think we need them.

I just don't want to see another classic (just a dramatization):

RB from Louiville
QB from Middle Tenn State
RB from SMU
TE from Syracuse
WR - didn't play last year due to injury and legal trouble, from ANY Florida schools!
RB
RB
FB
DL
CB
DE
WR
WR
QB
K

I would prefer to revisit this once we figure out who is going to replace DV next season.

sedated
10-26-2005, 03:52 PM
you can get a hall of fame O-lineman late in the first round, which is where I hope we will be drafting.

I prefer to sign a WR, there are too many first round busts.

chagrin
10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
I prefer to sign a WR, there are too many first round busts.

I agree with you on that, but I think as long as they stay away from SWMS WR's they should be fine

:p

Boardin Bronco
10-26-2005, 03:59 PM
How can a 2006 draft thread be 26 posts in with only one mention of a collegiate pro prospect? Worst draft thread ever.

BTW, Jonathan Scott of Texas might not even be the best tackle on that team. Some pro scouts have Justin Blalock rated higher.

NJ Chief Fan
10-26-2005, 04:05 PM
i think its a little to early to start draft talk...were still in the hunt for the playoffs PLUS lets see who are the premier free agents that are going to be available and who is gonna actually retire but i will answer this question any ways

number one concern dt
#2 oline it didnt look all that great while willie was out and if hes gone next season WHERE IN TROUBLE BOYS
#3 wr who knows maybe from now till the end of the season parker boe or horn may break out
#4 qbotf...i give trent this and next season and then its time to think about a possible replacement

NJ Chief Fan
10-26-2005, 04:07 PM
where in trouble if we lose both will's on the oline and tony richardson maybe gone as well so our blockin is gonna go on a rapid decline

Ebolapox
10-26-2005, 04:55 PM
We need to look to QB very, very soon but maybe next year.
We have not one single true #1 WR and we DO need one, doesn't have to be T.O. just a solid #1 - not just serviceable but SOLID.

DL and DE are needed as well.

I am just pointing out what I think we should focus on, in the order in which I think we need them.

I just don't want to see another classic (just a dramatization):

RB from Louiville
QB from Middle Tenn State
RB from SMU
TE from Syracuse
WR - didn't play last year due to injury and legal trouble, from ANY Florida schools!
RB
RB
FB
DL
CB
DE
WR
WR
QB
K

I would prefer to revisit this once we figure out who is going to replace DV next season.

HEEEEEY!!!! eric f*cking dickerson and craig f*cking JAMES were from SM F*CKING U!!!!!

-EB-

Hoover
10-26-2005, 05:09 PM
if we are late in round one, I think I'd grab an OT.

Hoover
10-26-2005, 05:10 PM
O-Line
D-Line
QB
I agree with this.

You always need to focus on the lines, and we need a QBOTF.

chagrin
10-26-2005, 05:24 PM
HEEEEEY!!!! eric f*cking dickerson and craig f*cking JAMES were from SM F*CKING U!!!!!

-EB-

Okay, Okay - I had just thrown that out there becaue of the RB's Marty and Carl drafted ad nauseum during the 90's, but Craig James? Come on dude!

Craig James had something like 5 years in the league and ran for over 1,000 yds once, and followed that up with 400 yards, and then he quickly faded away.

So, E.D. I'm with you on, CJ? Might has well have been TJ!

:p

Tribal Warfare
10-26-2005, 05:31 PM
How can a 2006 draft thread be 26 posts in with only one mention of a collegiate pro prospect? Worst draft thread ever.

BTW, Jonathan Scott of Texas might not even be the best tackle on that team. Some pro scouts have Justin Blalock rated higher.

another possibility is Marcus McNneil the hoss out of Auburn

Count Zarth
10-26-2005, 05:47 PM
D-Line.

Replace either Dalton or Hicks.

milkman
10-26-2005, 05:53 PM
I agree with this.

You always need to focus on the lines, and we need a QBOTF.

When does Matt Shaub hit the FA market?

John_Wayne
10-26-2005, 05:58 PM
WR, OL, DE (replace Hicks), DT, S in that order of priority.

Frankie
10-26-2005, 06:11 PM
When does Matt Shaub hit the FA market?
What's the current love affair with Shaub all about? Does he have a good resume or is he just another flash in the pan?

NaptownChief
10-26-2005, 06:14 PM
If the Chiefs are picking approximately 18th or higher then OL but if we are much lower in the 1st round then I might go elsewhere. A lot of OL turds have been reached for in the later part of round 1. Not a lot of difference in the success rate of a late 1st round OL and 2nd and 3rd round OL. Really good offensive linemen that separate themselves from the pack get snatched early and usually those taken at the end of the first round are teams that are desparate for OL help and reach pretty hard.

The LJ Sheltons, Aaron Gibson's, Kwame Harris', Victory Riley's and Trezelle Jenkins' tend to come from that 20-32 spots.

As for the Guard position usually zero to one guard is taken in the first round so the odds of a Guard being at the Chiefs spot and worthy of a first round pick is tiny...same goes for Centers and as long as CW stays healthy that wouldn't be a need anyway.

So in summary I agree that OL is going to be the biggest glaring need for the team with Roaf and Shields heading out the door but I would only go with one in the first round if they were truly worthy of the pick that was being used on them. I wouldn't reach in the name of need.

From what I have read Ferguson from UVA and Winston from Miami are the only two to look like locks to be worthy of high first round picks. If guys of that caliber don't fall to the Chiefs then I would get serious about WR, CB and QB in the first round if a guy like Brady Quinn or Drew Stanton were to come out and be availble. I would list DT in that mix also but I am so gun shy to spend a high pick on a DT that I refuse to lump that in the list.

milkman
10-26-2005, 06:15 PM
What's the current love affair with Shaub all about? Does he have a good resume or is he just another flash in the pan?

He's a big guy with a good arm that plays smart when he gets the opportunity.

Looks like he could be a perfect fit for this offense.

NaptownChief
10-26-2005, 06:15 PM
D-Line.

Replace either Dalton or Hicks.

I thought you were still in love with Siavii.....You not counting on that turd to replace Dalton?

Count Zarth
10-26-2005, 06:17 PM
I thought you were still in love with Siavii.....You not counting on that turd to replace Dalton?

Certainly doesn't appear that way. I liked him when we drafted him, and it's been all downhill since.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2005, 06:18 PM
How can a 2006 draft thread be 26 posts in with only one mention of a collegiate pro prospect? Worst draft thread ever
hard to actually start talking players when you don't know what position your drafting and who's actually going to enter the draft.

NaptownChief
10-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Certainly doesn't appear that way. I liked him when we drafted him, and it's been all downhill since.

He has been pitiful and seems to have the motivation of a slug. I just mentioned that cause I remember you getting a little sensitive about me throwing in the towel on him towards the begining of the season.

Frankie
10-26-2005, 06:24 PM
NEVER MIND. NO THANK YOU.
47.1% Passing accuracy in two years and 61.9 QB rating. I'd pass.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493050

NaptownChief
10-26-2005, 06:28 PM

That has been very spot duty. In his one start this season with a full game to play he threw for 298 yards 3 TD' and 0 INT's with a rating of 112.1. He also holds many ACC passing records. He is a talented kid. The Falcons GM is on record saying he wouldn't trade him even for a first rounder.

milkman
10-26-2005, 06:31 PM
That has been very spot duty. In his one start this season with a full game to play he threw for 298 yards 3 TD' and 0 INT's with a rating of 112.1. He also holds many ACC passing records. He is a talented kid. The Falcons GM is on record saying he wouldn't trade him even for a first rounder.

And he is only in his second season, with a big improvement from season one to season two.

Kid has huge potential.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2005, 06:32 PM

how can you say that when you haven't even seen him play?

didn't even know who he was before this thread

Frankie
10-26-2005, 06:43 PM
how can you say that when you haven't even seen him play?

didn't even know who he was before this thread

Do you think I'd use the phrase "love affair" only to describe Sidewinder's reference to Shaub? My whole question was based on having heard much about him on this BB. No, I haven't seen him play but I'd challenge anyone on this board to tell me if he/she has for more than one game. Replacing an injured Vick and shining in one game merits you no more than a flash-in-the-pan status. Therefore I can say what I said based on the info from nfl.com that I posted. Everything else is heresay, until he actually takes over for Vick for a bunch of games and proves himself.

BTW the QBOTF that I'm hoping we could SOMEHOW bring in is David Carr. Although that would be quite difficult.

the Talking Can
10-26-2005, 06:44 PM
I voted WR....but I can see an argument for any of the positions.

OL, yes...but if Roaf is coming back and Welbourne steps in for Shields, then maybe not, plus you can find great OL in the later rounds.

QB, yes...we need a QBOTF, but good QBs can be found in later rounds.

DL, yes...this is really my choice, but we've spent so many picks there...we need a stud DT though.

WR, yes....WR is a seriosu need, and we'll have a better chance of getting a true #1 in the first round.

And we still need a young CB to develop....

basically, if we're drafting low in the first round, you take the best available athlete at DT/OL/WR

milkman
10-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Do you think I'd use the phrase "love affair" only to describe Sidewinder's reference to Shaub? My whole question was based on having heard much about him on this BB. No, I haven't seen him play but I'd challenge anyone on this board to tell me if he/she has for more than one game. Replacing an injured Vick and shining in one game merits you no more than a flash-in-the-pan status. Therefore I can say what I said based on the info from nfl.com that I posted. Everything else is heresay, until he actually takes over for Vick for a bunch of games and proves himself.

BTW the QBOTF that I'm hoping we could SOMEHOW bring in is David Carr. Although that would be quite difficult.

I tend to go from game to game on Sundays.

I watched some of Shaub last season and liked what I saw.
He showed potential, and thsi season he has shown more.

As for Carr, just say

NO!

Frankie
10-26-2005, 06:49 PM
OL, yes...but if Roaf is coming back and Welbourne steps in for Shields, then maybe not.

I don't look at Welbourne as any more than a stopgap filler until we get a stud there at RG. But anyway, my top choice is a top LEFT tackle if there's one available when we pick. That's over a top RT, OG, DT, DE. CB or WR.

the Talking Can
10-26-2005, 06:51 PM
The issue of our QB will also be greatly affected by our next coach.

Frankie
10-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I tend to go from game to game on Sundays.

I watched some of Shaub last season and liked what I saw.
He showed potential, and thsi season he has shown more.

As for Carr, just say

NO!
That's good. But why no to Carr? He's being murdered every week. Has a lot of heart (ala Trent Green), and we know he's very talented. Can you imagine what he could do behind our (current) O-line?

milkman
10-26-2005, 07:01 PM
That's good. But why no to Carr? He's being murdered every week. Has a lot of heart (ala Trent Green), and we know he's very talented. Can you imagine what he could do behind our (current) O-line?

Because what I see from Carr tells me he hasn't gotten "it" yet.

He appears to struggle with his reads (though it could be that his receivers are not getting open), and he holds the ball for too long consistently, which is in part responsible for all the sacks he has taken over the years.

It could also be he struggled with Chris Palmer's offense, which is supposed to extremely complicated.
Then again, so is the Chiefs offense.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2005, 07:05 PM
i would have no problem picking up carr

but there is a big difference between the big money it will take to grab Carr as compared to backup money it will take to give Shaub a chance to start someplace after he leaves Vickville, U.S.A.

but hey if Carr wants to come here for a million per year for a chance to start here ... tis all good.

Hoover
10-26-2005, 07:24 PM
The QB all depends on who is our HC. I think it would be smart to make a move for Harrington or Ramsey, guys that have talent that have not had great sucess for one reason or another. I'm confident we will have a solid OL and a damn good running game, a QBs best friend.

RedandGold
10-26-2005, 08:11 PM
I picked OL (thinking LT specifically), but it all depends upon where we end up picking in the first round.

If we're picking towards the bottom, we would probably find better value in a DL or WR choice.

Mr. Kotter
10-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Depends on FA, of course....but I voted OL. Although, a good DL would be tempting if he was available when we pick. We better get a WR too though; either in FA, or the draft.

Logical
10-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Ok.. never too early to talk about the draft... :D

What position do you think needs to be taken in the first round?

As much as I want a premier WR... I would have to say offensive line.

--KyleKind of depends on where we are positioned in the draft. But in general I agree that if a legitimate Left Tackle prospect is available that is the way we should go. It would depend on talent level available but the 2nd tier of preference would be CB, DT, DE or WR

Coach
10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
I wonder what are the odds of Brady Quinn coming out from ND?

I think he could be a good one.

Frankie
10-26-2005, 09:31 PM
I wonder what are the odds of Brady Quinn coming out from ND?

I think he could be a good one.
Oh, he'll be something between Tom Brady and Jonathan Quinn.

JOhn
10-26-2005, 10:00 PM
As much as the Chiefs history of drafting QB's scares me, I wouldn't mind finding a good QB for the future. Trent has been a rock so far, but how much more does he really have left? :hmmm:

Besides I think Trent would be a great coach & role model for a young QB. Lets face it, Odd Todd is strictly a backup, nothing more or less. And if Trent were to go down with an injury or start having issues with his age, I would feel a lot better knowing we have a good young QB being groomed for the future.

But since I really don't know any QB in next years draft that we could get and would be worth a first round pick, I would then o for a good O line player. We are really getting old up front, and we need to start grooming some replacements soon.

If we did that then maybe we would be in a position to go after a QB with our 2nd or 3rd, or maybe wait till the following year, but we really do need to think of the post Trent era.