PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first smoker -questions inside, please advise if you can/will

chagrin
10-26-2005, 01:57 PM
KC, BBQ heaven? That's how I have always been told, and I have had Memphis, "Southern" style, like back in Louisiana, we would go drive around in the scariest part of town and find some shack that happened to seel BBQ and that's where we would always find the best, but La is known for its food as well. BUT, I see so many of you all posting here about how you do it, I thought I would ask for some instuctions, recipes, etc on smoking Ribs, Ham, Pork chops, Beef Brisket and whatever else goes in there and works.

We have a new Charbroil smoker outside waiting to be used for the first time. We want to do Ribs and/or Brisket, pork chops.

Obviously I have not done this before, so could some of you dudes give me some pointers on how to be somewhat successful at this? What recipes do you use, what would be somewhat simple for a n00b smoker to use?

Thanks in advance...

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 02:03 PM
meat+fire

easy

Goapics1
10-26-2005, 02:06 PM
meat+fire

easy
Wow Mo. I didn't realize that was you with the new avatar and sig. Nice. Thought it was a n00b for a minute.

Simplex3
10-26-2005, 02:07 PM
What, we can't own blacks but we can own smokers? WTF? What about a black smoker? Is that Ok?

Oh, wait, not that kind of smoker. Carry on.

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Wow Mo. I didn't realize that was you with the new avatar and sig. Nice. Thought it was a n00b for a minute.

something for Halloween.

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 02:09 PM
My advice:

Don't start with ribs, brisket, or chicken.

Ribs are expensive and if you mess them up, you'll want to stop BBQing forever...

Brisket takes a LONG time to smoke and isn't for the beginner...

Chicken can dry out pretty fast...

Start with pork chops, or better yet, a pork butt roast. Really hard to mess up.

Run your fire about 230 degrees and smoke for about 1.5 hours per pound.

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 02:09 PM
What, we can't own blacks but we can own smokers? WTF? What about a black smoker? Is that Ok?

Oh, wait, not that kind of smoker. Carry on.

I dont know about own but im sure you can rent.

mike_b_284
10-26-2005, 02:12 PM
he is right chicken will dry, but if you buy a whole chicken stick a full, open beer up the hole in its ass and smoke it for 2-3 hrs it is awesome

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 02:18 PM
if you really want to start slow go w/ summer sausage if you want i will dig up a family recipe and PM it to you.
if not start like w/ what the guy w/the name you cant pronounce said- or a half rack of bonein loin.

mmmmmmmmmmm QqQQQQqqqQQQQ

Dartgod
10-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Best advice I can give is to read this FAQ...

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

mike_b_284
10-26-2005, 02:22 PM
my step dad has a procedure for brisket that works really well. I will ask him for it and put it up for you, I can check the temp for the beer chicken too.

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 02:30 PM
actually learn how to start the fire. Read both of these, Standard and Minion methods. This made my cooks a lot more enjoyable. This is for the Weber Smokey Mountain but should apply to any smoker:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup1.html#standard

There's a lot of other good information for any cook you plan on trying to do. I would definately read up a bit before.

Agree, do a pork butt first. A 5 lb'er should be just about right.

Definately get a themometer too so you can measure internal temps of the meats.

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 02:34 PM
if you really want to start slow go w/ summer sausage if you want i will dig up a family recipe and PM it to you.
if not start like w/ what the guy w/the name you cant pronounce said- or a half rack of bonein loin.

Summer sausage is easy as is bone-in or boneless loin.

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 02:36 PM
my step dad has a procedure for brisket that works really well. I will ask him for it and put it up for you, I can check the temp for the beer chicken too.

Brisket isn't hard to smoke.

The problem with brisket for the beginner is how long it takes to cook.

The 1st-timer tends to be too eager and excited. They want not only to cook, but to EAT. A decent brisket can take over FIFTEEN hours to cook.

Goapics1
10-26-2005, 02:36 PM
the guy w/the name you cant pronounce said
It's almost like he was drunk when signed up with his user name. Of course, he is a mod so that does not explain it.

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Personally, I don't use a thermometer. Poking the meat causes moisture loss.

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 02:42 PM
It's almost like he was drunk when signed up with his user name. Of course, he is a mod so that does not explain it.

A mod cannot be a drunk?

I know that to be false, after all EnDelt is a mod.

I've explained my username many times. Use the search button and if you find it, I'll give you 100,000 rep points.

Dartgod
10-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Use the search button and if you find it, I'll give you 100,000 rep points.
Hehe...you didn't specify positive or negative rep. :)

Fire Me Boy!
10-26-2005, 02:53 PM
I like this one...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2512865#post2512865

chagrin
10-26-2005, 03:22 PM

Yes, please do -I will appreciate it

:)

NLU Tailgater
10-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Congrats on the new smoker- I have no doubt that this is the first step toward keeping your belly full with good BBQ and making plenty o' friends with the neighborhood. Almost everything I've learned has come from the good people at the BBQ Forum, it is affliated with the Kansas City Barbeque Society so you know it's good stuff!

Every question, every receipe, and the sage wisdom of the serious smokers from around the country. Check it out. Also that Virtual Weber Bullet site is good too.

BBQ Forum
http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/

Good luck & have fun!

Matt
18th & Vine Barbeque

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Yes, please do -I will appreciate it

right-o

chagrin
10-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Agree, do a pork butt first. A 5 lb'er should be just about right.
Definately get a themometer too so you can measure internal temps of the meats.

5 lb's, what are ya seasoning it with? Dry rub, injection method? Wet Rub?

Currently, I grill out steaks, NY strip, Ribeye, etc and I do the ole cajun injection method (louisiana native) but am ready to learn more styles. I really want to pick it up and diversify - this sounds good. Thank you!

sedated
10-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Put the pot in the bowl, inhale while you hold the flame over the pot.
(cough)
It's pretty simple.

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 03:35 PM

Currently, I grill out steaks, NY strip, Ribeye, etc and I do the ole cajun injection method (louisiana native) but am ready to learn more styles. I really want to pick it up and diversify - this sounds good. Thank you!

I use a dry rub of my own design. I tend to shy away from anything that pierces the meat...

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Put the pot in the bowl, inhale while you hold the flame over the pot.
(cough)
It's pretty simple.

Stop bogarting that shit and pass it...

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 03:42 PM
I like this one...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2512865#post2512865

ROFL

MOhillbilly
10-26-2005, 03:44 PM
I use a dry rub of my own design. I tend to shy away from anything that pierces the meat...

yeah i dont even like to use anything till the deals done-let the meat speak for itself if you wanna add to it afterthat its the consumers choice.

pokin prodin lookin and in general screwing w/ it after its on the rack will IMO degrade the quality of the meat.
put it on - keep an eye on the temp - and let it be.

if youre goin to do chicken if you have a waterpan instead of water use vinegar/cooking oil/water equal parts. warm it on a stove first then set it over your fire.

Skip Towne
10-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Htsmaqe is pronounced "Porker". Just trying to help.

Skip Towne
10-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Aren't you supposed to "burn in" a new smoker? Shouldn't one of you geniouses tell him about that?

Phobia
10-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Heh. Yeah. Cure your smoker first.

My advice is not to be scared of your smoker. Throw some different things in there to get the hang of it. Cheese is good. Jalapenos. Salmon is pretty easy.

Don't ever ruin steak on a smoker. Don't even try it. Please. Do not be tempted.

PastorMikH
10-26-2005, 04:31 PM
My advice:

Don't start with ribs, brisket, or chicken.

Ribs are expensive and if you mess them up, you'll want to stop BBQing forever...

Ribs are easy!!! Put some BBQ seasoning rub on them, spray on some apple juice every 20-30 minutes and cook them in the smoker 2 250-275 degrees until the bones are sticking out the bottom end of the rack about a half an inch to an inch - takes about 3-4 hours.

BTW, I picked up a 350 gallon butane tank today that was donated to the church so we can build another smoker. After 22 hours of smoking we decided to build a 2nd cooker. This one should be able to handle another 36 racks of ribs making our combined cooking ability 72 racks at once.

chagrin
10-26-2005, 05:18 PM

My advice is not to be scared of your smoker. Throw some different things in there to get the hang of it. Cheese is good. Jalapenos. Salmon is pretty easy.

Don't ever ruin steak on a smoker. Don't even try it. Please. Do not be tempted.

Burn in, Cure?

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 05:50 PM

no injection. Dry rub, usually store bought. I'm sure a lot of people can recommend rubs, I'm not real partial to any yet but I've tried the Oklahoma Joe's rubs, Gates and Jack Stack.

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Aren't you supposed to "burn in" a new smoker? Shouldn't one of you geniouses tell him about that?

I've heard of curing them. It's basically up to the design of the smoker. With mine, you didn't need to cure. I'm not sure on all the different curing methods since I didn't need to with mine. Anyone that's cured a smoker will be able to speak to this better than I, but your basically building a fat/smoke layer on the inside of the smoker...I guess you could wipe the inside of the Smoker with a thin layer of Crisco or something.

Dave Lane
10-26-2005, 05:55 PM
I will but I won't. :harumph:

Dave

just kidding don't have one...

Skip Towne
10-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Ribs are easy!!! Put some BBQ seasoning rub on them, spray on some apple juice every 20-30 minutes and cook them in the smoker 2 250-275 degrees until the bones are sticking out the bottom end of the rack about a half an inch to an inch - takes about 3-4 hours.

BTW, I picked up a 350 gallon butane tank today that was donated to the church so we can build another smoker. After 22 hours of smoking we decided to build a 2nd cooker. This one should be able to handle another 36 racks of ribs making our combined cooking ability 72 racks at once.
You picked up a 350 gallon butane tank? What did you pick it up with? A frontloader?

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 06:06 PM
hardest part for me was getting a good ratio of fuel to lb's of meat cooking so you don't have to d1kc with it. After reading a few tips on how to start your fire, it's been easy ever since.

But definately with my first few smokes, I had a b1tch of a time dealing with the drop offs and spikes in temp. 14 hour 6lb briskets/pork shoulders...it was the suck.

Start off easy and you'll start to see the points you need to research. Keeping a log of your cooks isn't a bad idea either. Here's one: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/docs/cooklog.pdf

Also, be mindful of wind and weather conditions, and your air controllers...adjusting open and close as you see the temp fall or rise.

dtebbe
10-26-2005, 07:06 PM

Actually, if you do it right it's damn good. On my cookshack I smoke the steaks about an hour at about 120-150 degrees, almost a cold smoke. They lose almost no juice. Then I finish em' on the grill, heaven, for sure. It would be hard to get the 150 degree temp on a gas or wood smoker, however. I always use a fatty cut, like ribeye.

DT

Phobia
10-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Don't you try to tell me I'm wrong. I won't stand for it.

dtebbe
10-26-2005, 07:11 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you ain't tried it the right way yet :)

DT

SBK
10-26-2005, 08:13 PM
If you have a smoker these are a must. I posted this awhile back.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2469029#post2469029

Best BBQ in KC is a Poor Russ sandwich and a side of beans at Jack Stacks. Bryants is good though.

Here's a freebie, and I did this last weekend and they are a dead ringer. Here's the recipie to Jack Stack Beans. No joke.

1 32 oz can pork and beans
1 cup Jack Stack Original BBQ Sauce
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup Water
4 TBSP Brown Sugar (Heaping)
1 TSP liquid smoke
1 Cup Chopped Beef Brisket (or Burnt Ends)

Proper way is to combine and put in a pan under meat in smoker once meat has reached a safe temp, and let cook until thick, or meat is done. Using hickory of course. I put this under a pork shoulder and brisket and JEEZ, perfection.

Jack Stack says to combine in a 4 qt sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes until beans have a thick soupy consistency. (this way doesn't add the meat flavor so it won't be as good)

You can all thank me later, trust me, these are fantastic.

PastorMikH
10-26-2005, 08:20 PM
You picked up a 350 gallon butane tank? What did you pick it up with? A frontloader?

My left hand. My right hand was holding the trailer gate while I tossed it in with the left.

Phobia
10-26-2005, 08:22 PM
My left hand. My right hand was holding the trailer gate while I tossed it in with the left.

And Babe the Blue Ox was mounting the goodyear blimp while all this was happening, Paul?

Fishpicker
10-26-2005, 08:22 PM
You could try to locate some old casks that were used to age wine. Even a cheap burgundy cask produces some tasty smoke.

PastorMikH
10-26-2005, 08:24 PM
And Babe the Blue Ox was mounting the goodyear blimp while all this was happening, Paul?

Well, the tank does have a handle welded to each end.

PastorMikH
10-26-2005, 08:28 PM
You could try to locate some old casks that were used to age wine. Even a cheap burgundy cask produces some tasty smoke.

I'm definitaly hoping our wood supplier can come up with another rick or two of apple wood (I have my order in with him). We used apple wood exclusive in July and people who know ribs were saying they were the best they'd ever had. We had another guy get us some wood - he thought it was mulberry, it wasn't. DON'T smoke with Elm (how could anyone mistake elm for mulberry???). Right now the wood supplier has a bit of Pecan which I've heard works really good too. He said he is going to try to get some mesquite next spring - I really want to give that a try too.

(The supplier does all the cutting, splitting, and gathering for us and we keep him supplied with free ribs).

Phobia
10-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Try some cedar, Mike. Not a lot of cedar, just mix some cedar in for a little flavor. It's outstanding.

Skip Towne
10-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I built a fireplace in the early '80's that used a Queenaire box that hooked into the house's existing ductwork. It came with a swingout unit that had a grill. We'd burn hedge, which is very aromatic, and cooked our steaks in the fireplace. They tasted great. So eat shit.

Skip Towne
10-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Good one!!!!!!!

PastorMikH
10-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Try some cedar, Mike. Not a lot of cedar, just mix some cedar in for a little flavor. It's outstanding.

Seriously? I'd of thought cedar belonged lining closets and not in a smoker. I may have to give it a try on some.

Actually, the plan was for a second smoker that would do about 20 racks at a time. This tank is big enough for another 36 racks. The propane dealer threw in a small propane tank though that is a 18x32 cylinder with rounded ends - it may become a personal smoker for the back yard.

BTW, how's this for a smoker design? (I had thought this design up, then found this smoker on ebay with almost identical design to what I had already planned on doing.)

Skip Towne
10-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Seriously? I'd of thought cedar belonged lining closets and not in a smoker. I may have to give it a try on some.

Actually, the plan was for a second smoker that would do about 20 racks at a time. This tank is big enough for another 36 racks. The propane dealer threw in a small propane tank though that is a 18x32 cylinder with rounded ends - it may become a personal smoker for the back yard.

BTW, how's this for a smoker design? (I had thought this design up, then found this smoker on ebay with almost identical design to what I had already planned on doing.)
I'm surprised you mentioned rounded ends. No container will hold any gas (even air) under pressure without rounded ends. They will blow up if they don't have rounded ends. Why? :shrug:

chagrin
10-27-2005, 06:46 AM
My left hand. My right hand was holding the trailer gate while I tossed it with the left.

ROFL

I am not going to touch this one, out of respect for the pastor of course

:p

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 07:13 AM
this is my dads recipe-him and my grandpa had a smokehouse and we did everything from wetcures to polish sausage-summer sausage-injection cures the works.
(i have all the wet cures and other smoking info-at home- if anyone is interested)

-Royboys Summer Sausage-
24 # hamburger
4T mustard seed
18T salt
6T sugar
2t Salt Peter
3T garlic
2T Pepper
6c water

mix this up - make into 1-2 # loaves(mini football size) you smoke 4-5 hours at 130-35 and cook at 160.
its easy and good and stores nice and your friends(if you dont have any-you will:)) will think youre a master chef....or something anyhow.

enjoy.

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Mike-how are you going to get the fire to draw w/ two stacks?

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 08:47 AM

I never said ribs weren't easy. But there's invariably gonna be a few mistakes. It's better if that mistake is a $5 butt roast than a $50 worth of babybacks.

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 08:51 AM
DON'T smoke with Elm (how could anyone mistake elm for mulberry???)

ROFL

PastorMikH
10-27-2005, 09:22 AM
I never said ribs weren't easy. But there's invariably gonna be a few mistakes. It's better if that mistake is a $5 butt roast than a $50 worth of babybacks.

We're getting ribs for $1.75 a pound in bulk. The slabs run 4-4.5 pounds each. A pack of ribs at the store run about $10 a slab locally. I'd probably go with the cheaper ribs myself and leave the babybacks until I was a little more proficient.

PastorMikH
10-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Mike-how are you going to get the fire to draw w/ two stacks?

It isn't a problem with our current smoker. We have tractor exhaust flappers on our stacks that we've connected to levers to control the amount of exhaust. We usually run with both flappers almost closed. In starting the fire, you can leave one flapper all the way closed to get good draft. Once the fire is going, I'd be afraid that if we didn't exhaust at both ends, the end with the stack would be hotter than the other end.

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 09:33 AM
It isn't a problem with our current smoker. We have tractor exhaust flappers on our stacks that we've connected to levers to control the amount of exhaust. We usually run with both flappers almost closed. In starting the fire, you can leave one flapper all the way closed to get good draft. Once the fire is going, I'd be afraid that if we didn't exhaust at both ends, the end with the stack would be hotter than the other end.

so the dual exhaust is a damper system?instead of having it on the firedoor?

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 09:35 AM

Exactly.

Rule #1 with any smoker I've ever used is open the outflow damper all the way and don't touch it EVER.

Rule #2 is control the temp with the inflow damper on the firebox.

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 09:37 AM
We're getting ribs for $1.75 a pound in bulk. The slabs run 4-4.5 pounds each. A pack of ribs at the store run about $10 a slab locally. I'd probably go with the cheaper ribs myself and leave the babybacks until I was a little more proficient.

Well, of course my advice wouldn't apply to you. Do they teach "Smartass 101" in seminary? :D

Back to the advice, spare ribs are cheaper and meatier than baby backs, and for the BBQ purist, that's what to go with.

However, most beginners opt for the easy (both to cook and to eat) cut in the babybacks, which have gotten up to around $15 for a 12-bone slab around here.

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Exactly.

Rule #1 with any smoker I've ever used is open the outflow damper all the way and don't touch it EVER.

Rule #2 is control the temp with the inflow damper on the firebox.

is your firebox outboard or inboard?

PastorMikH
10-27-2005, 09:38 AM

Actually, our present smoker has both, dampers on the firebox to control draw and dampers on the stacks. It works really, really well on our current smoker. We use the dampers on the door for fire control and the dampers on the stacks for heat/smoke regulation.

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 09:39 AM
However, most beginners opt for the easy (both to cook and to eat) cut in the babybacks, which have gotten up to around $15 for a 12-bone slab around here.

a good brine soak and slight boil w/ make a big diffrence on the lesser grades of ribs.

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 09:39 AM
is your firebox outboard or inboard?

My firebox is offset...

EDIT: I should have said, inflow damper is on the outside door of the offset firebox. There is no damper between the firebox and cooking chamber.

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 09:40 AM
a good brine soak and slight boil w/ make a big diffrence on the lesser grades of ribs.

I don't do babybacks.

I love the short end of the spares and since they're cheaper anyway...

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Actually, our present smoker has both, dampers on the firebox to control draw and dampers on the stacks. It works really, really well on our current smoker. We use the dampers on the door for fire control and the dampers on the stacks for heat/smoke regulation.

i only asked because i didnt see a damper on the 'inboard firedoor' in the pic and couldnt tell if there was a damper on the outboard firebox.

that seems like a hella big smoker- how wide is it?

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 09:42 AM

Every smoker I've ever seen has an inflow damper on the firebox and an outflow damper of some kind on the stack.

And everyone I've ever talked to about it, without fail, says to open the outflow damper all the way and don't touch it. Closing it causes a buildup of stale smoke, which deposits creosote on the meat and makes it bitter...

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 09:44 AM
My firebox is offset...

is it like an oklahoma joe setup or tung and axel?
either way whats your impression?

PastorMikH
10-27-2005, 09:45 AM
i only asked because i didnt see a damper on the 'inboard firedoor' in the pic and couldnt tell if there was a damper on the outboard firebox.

that seems like a hella big smoker- how wide is it?

The butane tank I aquired has a working chamber 35" in diameter and 74 inches long. Our current chamber has a working chamber of 40 inches in diameter and is 64 inches long.

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 09:50 AM
is it like an oklahoma joe setup or tung and axel?
either way whats your impression?

It's an Oklahoma Joe setup...in fact, the company that makes it used to make Oklahoma Joe's smokers...

http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/

As for impressions, I love it. It was worth every penny. Heat regulation is flawless, airflow is superb, maintenance is low, and the meat is excellent. It's thousands of times better than the Brinkmann I had before it.

PastorMikH
10-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Every smoker I've ever seen has an inflow damper on the firebox and an outflow damper of some kind on the stack.

And everyone I've ever talked to about it, without fail, says to open the outflow damper all the way and don't touch it. Closing it causes a buildup of stale smoke, which deposits creosote on the meat and makes it bitter...

Trust me, our current smoker was homeade. It has plenty of places for that extra smoke to escape.:D I am planning for the second one to be a bit better sealed.

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 10:03 AM
htis-the reason i ask is because im going to fabricate one out of a 55 gal drum and have been going back and forth on the fire box-not only for heat and smoke regulation but for size and weight.
pros and cons?
i want it to easly fit in the bed of my p-u and be able to have the set up be a one man job.
my uncle has a OK joe and it does a great job.
anyway...

Mike thats a heck of a setup-impressive!
are the poles for the springs detachable?

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 10:06 AM
htis-the reason i ask is because im going to fabricate one out of a 55 gal drum and have been going back and forth on the fire box-not only for heat and smoke regulation but for size and weight.
pros and cons?
i want it to easly fit in the bed of my p-u and be able to have the set up be a one man job.
my uncle has a OK joe and it does a great job.
anyway...

Not a problem, ask away. I have a real passion for this...

As for it being a one-man job, the dimensions of mine allow it to fit in the back of a truck, but it's made completely from 1/4" steel -- it's fuggin HEAVY.

PastorMikH
10-27-2005, 10:06 AM

No, they are welded solid by a farmer so they won't be going anywhere.

PastorMikH
10-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Mo, on yours, I'd suggest a bit more steel than a 55 gallon drum offers. Shoot for 1/4 inch thick on both the firebox and the smoking chamber. Call around to the local propane dealers and see if they have any old tanks in their scrapyard they want to sell. The guy yesterday threw in a tank 18 inches in diameter and 40 inches long that I am thinking of using for my own personal smoker.

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Mo, on yours, I'd suggest a bit more steel than a 55 gallon drum offers. Shoot for 1/4 inch thick on both the firebox and the smoking chamber. Call around to the local propane dealers and see if they have any old tanks in their scrapyard they want to sell. The guy yesterday threw in a tank 18 inches in diameter and 40 inches long that I am thinking of using for my own personal smoker.

Yep. Thicker steel = better temp control = burning less wood

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Not a problem, ask away. I have a real passion for this...

As for it being a one-man job, the dimensions of mine allow it to fit in the back of a truck, but it's made completely from 1/4" steel -- it's fuggin HEAVY.

how small could i get a firebox and still have a suitable fire(55 gal drum)?
im already thinking about a rolled steel offsetbox.
is a bigger smokestake/ damper better? or would and offset I.D. on either - or the stack / damper regulate the smoke better?
I want to set a outside temp gauge any suggestions on where(ones ive used had it on the door) suggestions on what type?

im gonna build it over the winter-to haul to games next year.

any hints or suggestions?

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 10:26 AM

alright-thanks id still like it around a drum size-i asked some ??? above.
suggestions?

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 10:33 AM
is a bigger smokestake/ damper better? or would and offset I.D. on either - or the stack / damper regulate the smoke better?
I want to set a outside temp gauge any suggestions on where(ones ive used had it on the door) suggestions on what type?

I'm no expert on construction, but from my own experience plus reading, here is what I suggest:

1) I wouldn't go much smaller on the firebox than 12" on any axis. Firebox size directly affects the size of wood chunks/logs you can use. For instance, in mine, logs are just a little too big, they produce more smoke than fire and can cause creosote, so I cut everything into chunks.

2) Smokestock diameter should be a little smaller than inflow aperture size. 4" diameter on smokestack should be good. make the smokestack about 2' long, no shorter, because that will probably pull too much air.

3) As I said before, everything I've always been told is don't use the stack damper to regulate heat. Open it wide and leave it alone.

4) If you build the fire in the end of the firebox as far away from the cooking chamber as possible, you shouldn't need a damper between the firebox and cooking chamber. I do sometimes have a problem with char on meat that's too close to the fire, so I'm considering installing one. In this case, it really depends how long your firebox is.

PastorMikH
10-27-2005, 10:51 AM

From what I'm seeing, fireboxes on the large smokers are running about 25% the size of the main chamber. I think Htis is on track for a smaller one, you probably need to just build the firebox the size you need for a decent fire.

On the plans, look around on ebay at the pics there. See one you like, save the pics and patern after it.

Like I said, check with a propane dealer. If they want to work with you, I am sure they will have tanks that would work for both the firebox and smoke chamber. I was really suprised how well this guy helped me. I made one call to one dealer and got what I want. On propane/gas tanks, make sure you fill with water and dump them several times before cutting on them. The dealer also suggested that I run a hose from a car's exhaust pipe into the tank and let the car run for about 5-10 minutes before and during cutting.

One other thing to think about if you are building your own (and weight isn't an issue), a second chamber stood upright for hanging meats like hams would be sweet too.

I'm not sure on the size of the chimney. One thing I would say to keep in mind with that is you aren't heating your house with the fire, you are just heating a grill up to 200-300 degrees so it doesn't have to be huge. That said, a smaller fire doesn't need as much stack to vent the smoke. I think we are looking at 2 4" stacks for the new one - that's what the old one has.

Firebox location I think is important. Our present smoker has the firebox too high. The top racks cook faster and the racks next to the firebox also cook faster. So, with Bertha, we have 6 cooking racks, an one always cooks faster than the rest.

chagrin
10-27-2005, 11:13 AM
this is my dads recipe-him and my grandpa had a smokehouse and we did everything from wetcures to polish sausage-summer sausage-injection cures the works.
(i have all the wet cures and other smoking info-at home- if anyone is interested)

-Royboys Summer Sausage-
24 # hamburger
4T mustard seed
18T salt
6T sugar
2t Salt Peter
3T garlic
2T Pepper
6c water

mix this up - make into 1-2 # loaves(mini football size) you smoke 4-5 hours at 130-35 and cook at 160.
its easy and good and stores nice and your friends(if you dont have any-you will:)) will think youre a master chef....or something anyhow.

enjoy.

Thank you very much dude, but holy cow - am I reading 24 lbs. of Hamburger correctly? No way I need that much meat at one time where I live currently, it's an apartment. It's a big apartment, but it's still an apartment and I don't have but one or two guests at a time, I guess I'll have to break it down some?

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 11:28 AM
thanks for the help htis&mike if i have any more ? or run in to a problem ill post my ???s here.
big help the both of you! props!

Chagrin-yeah man just divide by 2 or 3 and the measurements are heaping.Its good and easy you wont be dissappointed.

i have a oldschool brisket wetcure that is easy if anyone is interested.Its awesome.

jawaba2k
10-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue
by Cheryl Alters Jamison

Hands down the best book ever written for BBQ. It will help you build a foundation of knowledge that will allow you to branch off and create your own style and flavor. There are great recipes for just about anything and it talks about different regions and styles. Gives big props to KC. The book is funny also.

Less than $15 on Amazon...

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue
by Cheryl Alters Jamison

Hands down the best book ever written for BBQ. It will help you build a foundation of knowledge that will allow you to branch off and create your own style and flavor. There are great recipes for just about anything and it talks about different regions and styles. Gives big props to KC. The book is funny also.

Less than $15 on Amazon...

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree there.

The best book to get is:

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces: 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops, and Salsas

http://www.baron-of-bbq.com/Books.htm

;)

MOhillbilly
10-28-2005, 12:10 PM
the pros look to be no torch & no welding-light weight can haulin my p-u bed.
cons- 245 degrees might be the max temp.

but i like the idea.

thoughts?

http://www.mikesell.net/smoker/

htismaqe
10-28-2005, 12:26 PM
the pros look to be no torch & no welding-light weight can haulin my p-u bed.
cons- 245 degrees might be the max temp.

but i like the idea.

thoughts?

http://www.mikesell.net/smoker/

There's a guy down the street from me that owns one of these I think...

MOhillbilly
10-28-2005, 12:42 PM
There's a guy down the street from me that owns one of these I think...

ever had anything off it?

htismaqe
10-28-2005, 12:48 PM
ever had anything off it?

No, I don't know him. Just seen it sitting out there.

chagrin
10-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Ok, I have been reading over this thread and I have found a few descriptive posts/recipes, but I am still a little perplexed;
pork butt 1.5 hours per pound right? What temp?
Sausage; how many hours per pound?

If I can afford to buy a rack of plain ole ribs, not babybacks, how about a recipe for them?

Phobia
10-28-2005, 08:11 PM
I almost always keep my temps at 225.

Sorry I can't share a rib recipe. I change the way I do mine slightly each time. I would suggest a vinegar and oil based brine for a minimum of 4 hours though. From there it's up to your taste to find a rub that agrees with your taste buds. In my rubs I use heavy paprika, cayenne, black pepper, cumin, and whatever else strikes my fancy at the moment I'm preparing it.

chagrin
10-28-2005, 08:24 PM
right right, I got ya:

pork chops then, eve done 'em? White meat only? Dark meat, either way good?

chagrin
10-28-2005, 08:26 PM
shit, I'm starting to be like the little kid that wouldn't go away.

Nevermind, I wasn't getting the point that I need to simply experiment until I am comfortable. I will stop asking questions now, and report back, after we smoke this weekend.
thanks guys

Skip Towne
10-28-2005, 08:36 PM
shit, I'm starting to be like the little kid that wouldn't go away.

Nevermind, I wasn't getting the point that I need to simply experiment until I am comfortable. I will stop asking questions now, and report back, after we smoke this weekend.
thanks guys
Don't go away mad, just go away.

chagrin
10-28-2005, 08:45 PM
I wasn't mad, I just thought of that to myself and wanted to post it - I felt like I was being a pain, at least to myself...

Skip Towne
10-28-2005, 08:49 PM
I wasn't mad, I just thought of that to myself and wanted to post it - I felt like I was being a pain, at least to myself...
I was just slinging shit. It's slow tonight. But I think those meat smoker guys ( I'm heterosexual myself) really like to help out the n00bs with their cooking.

chagrin
10-28-2005, 08:51 PM
I was just slinging shit. It's slow tonight. But I think those meat smoker guys ( I'm heterosexual myself) really like to help out the n00bs with their cooking.
ROFL

no shit, tenuous, finding the right phrase to use, smker, smoking, meat, sausage, etc.

yeah, it does seem a bit slow here tonight. I have a rare opportunity to post.

chagrin
12-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Will someone tell me how important cumin is to a BBQ rub?

Donger
12-02-2005, 02:38 PM

A fail to see how the two are related. Unless you're some kind of freak, that is.

ptlyon
12-02-2005, 02:51 PM
A fail to see how the two are related. Unless you're some kind of freak, that is.

Donger - he was referring to cumin the spice, not what you were thinking he was referring to.

Donger
12-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Donger - he was referring to cumin the spice, not what you were thinking he was referring to.

Oh.

Phobia
12-02-2005, 03:55 PM

It's not critical. I assume you don't have any.

I like the cumin in my rubs but that's because I prefer that flavor. But your BBQ won't be shot to hell because you didn't include cumin. It's a pretty distinct flavor but you can sub in double the amount of chili powder and you should be okay. Caraway would also subtitute okay.

chagrin
12-02-2005, 04:00 PM
It's not critical. I assume you don't have any.

I like the cumin in my rubs but that's because I prefer that flavor. But your BBQ won't be shot to hell because you didn't include cumin. It's a pretty distinct flavor but you can sub in double the amount of chili powder and you should be okay. Caraway would also subtitute okay.

No, I have some on hand, I just wasn't sure of it's role in the rub. Yes, it's seasoning, but I am not sure of how necessary it is that's all.

Not to be difficult, but are you saying that I should use either one of those and at least one (chili powder or cumin) should be used?

chagrin
12-02-2005, 04:01 PM

ROFL

That's f*cking funny dude!

and yes I am btw

Donger
12-02-2005, 04:03 PM
ROFL

That's f*cking funny dude!

and yes I am btw

Note to self - avoid chagrin when he's near BBQ sauce.

Phobia
12-02-2005, 04:29 PM
If you HAVE cumin, use it. Cumin is a strong spice and affects the flavor of the rub. It's not going to make your meat taste horrible if you don't use it, but it is otherwise and integral part of the rub.

I was suggesting alternates if you had no cumin. Since you have cumin, you should use the cumin.

htismaqe
12-02-2005, 05:02 PM
If you HAVE cumin, use it. Cumin is a strong spice and affects the flavor of the rub. It's not going to make your meat taste horrible if you don't use it, but it is otherwise and integral part of the rub.

I was suggesting alternates if you had no cumin. Since you have cumin, you should use the cumin.

Don't use too much cumin, unless you want your ribs to taste like a chili cookoff...

Phobia
12-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Don't use too much cumin, unless you want your ribs to taste like a chili cookoff...

Heh. That's how I like mine.

chagrin
12-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks, both of you! I just got back from buying some meat (God that sounds bad). Anyway, they didn't have a pork butt that I wanted to buy (25 dollars) so I bought 2 smaller Pork Shoulders. Looks pretty good, and I have Cumin and chili powder, but I will use cumin. Reports coming Monday...

PastorMikH
12-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Have fun with it!

It is really odd that this thread came up today. I just finished the Church's new smoker today. Here are some pics of what has taken almost all of my time (and Planet time) for the last 3 weeks. It isn't nearly as big and heavy as our other smoker, but it does have just as many racks and they are a bit bigger too.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=49912

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=49913

chagrin
12-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Damn! Well, we are using a "n00b" smoker, a charboril "H2O" smoker:

Light the fire and when the temp is "ideal" I place the meat in there and the temp goes down a little (as I thought it would) but now, the "smoking" has appeared to stop all together and the temp is registering directly on the line between "warm" and "ideal"

WTF happened? How can I stop this from ruining my food? I didn't expect this go perfectly but I never thought that the smoking effect woul juts quit!

It's on my back porch and there is practically no wind hurting the temp.

Someone here on the board kind enough to take a sec and give any advice?
thanks!

P.S. Temp is only 130 "at the meat"

P.S.S. Do you use Kingsford? I didn't but it seems like the charcoal I have just isn't getting any heat generated and it was hard to light without any fluid

KcMizzou
12-04-2005, 03:03 PM
thanks!Sure... throw it in the microwave.

chagrin
12-04-2005, 03:07 PM
faig

:p

KcMizzou
12-04-2005, 03:08 PM
faig

:pROFL

Sorry.

chagrin
12-04-2005, 03:10 PM
that's ok, I know it's horrible timing right before the game but I need assistance!

PastorMikH
12-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Well, we are using a "n00b" smoker, a charboril "H2O" smoker:

Light the fire and when the temp is "ideal" I place the meat in there and the temp goes down a little (as I thought it would) but now, the "smoking" has appeared to stop all together and the temp is registering directly on the line between "warm" and "ideal"

WTF happened? How can I stop this from ruining my food? I didn't expect this go perfectly but I never thought that the smoking effect woul juts quit!

It's on my back porch and there is practically no wind hurting the temp.

thanks!

P.S. Temp is only 130 "at the meat"

P.S.S. Do you use Kingsford? I didn't but it seems like the charcoal I have just isn't getting any heat generated and it was hard to light without any fluid

There are definately more qualified people around to help, but I'll try. What are you using for heat? If you are using charcoal, I would suggest a hefty dose of wood chips as well. Our guys with smoking experience say all the smoke is burned out of charcoal.

chagrin
12-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes, I used some cheap briquets from the gorcery and a cup and a half of chips soaked in apple juice. I am smoking (or trying to) 6 lbs of meat, pork shoulder.

So, I jut went to the store, bought some kingsfod briquets and I put about 9 lbs of briquets on the smoker and lit it...30 minutes ago and it's still on fire.

So, anyway, am I not using enough chips?

PastorMikH
12-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Yes, I used some cheap briquets from the gorcery and a cup and a half of chips soaked in apple juice. I am smoking (or trying to) 6 lbs of meat, pork shoulder.

So, I jut went to the store, bought some kingsfod briquets and I put about 9 lbs of briquets on the smoker and lit it...30 minutes ago and it's still on fire.

So, anyway, am I not using enough chips?

If you aren't getting enough smoke, I'd use more chips.

We don't use Charcoal at all. We use wood when we smoke. 'Course feeding our smokers is kinda like feeding a steam locomotive.

chagrin
12-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Just checked, 45 minutes or so now and STILL on fire. I cannot do anything until it stops, why they taking so long? I have never BBQ'd and had charcoal take so long to burn out...?

PastorMikH
12-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Just checked, 45 minutes or so now and STILL on fire. I cannot do anything until it stops, why they taking so long? I have never BBQ'd and had charcoal take so long to burn out...?

Can you cut the air flow with Dampers?

You might try PMing Htismaq. He's probably the only/main resident expert now that Phil's gone.

chagrin
12-04-2005, 04:32 PM
I have no idea what you just asked. There is a "window" at the bottom of the smoker, I have it closed. I don't think I should cover the small flame up yet.

P.S. Are wood chips in foild safe if sitting directlky on charcoal that has an active flame on them? The flame is only 3 inches or so high

PastorMikH
12-04-2005, 04:34 PM
I have no idea what you just asked. There is a "window" at the bottom of the smoker, I have it closed. I don't think I should cover the small flame up yet.

P.S. Are wood chips in foild safe if sitting directlky on charcoal that has an active flame on them? The flame is only 3 inches or so high

:shrug:

I'm thinking there has to be some way to control the flame. An air inlet control and/or exhaust air flow control on the chimney. I'd close down the air inlet.

Take this for what it's worth, but if it were me I'd give it a try and just watch my temperature gauge.

chagrin
12-04-2005, 04:36 PM
right on, thanks pastor

chagrin
12-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Well as it turns out, the smoker I bought apparently isn't very good. It's an el-cheapo Charbroil H2O and from what I have been reading on other BBQ forums (one dartgod posted and others) it stinks!
Anyway, the last Pork shoulder I tried to smoke came out not very good, it's been cooked long enough but I had to finish it in the oven and I am hoping someone can provide a recipe or some instrcutions for a sauce or something to simmer it in to get it nice and tender...
Any takers?

sedated
12-13-2005, 04:21 PM
beer never did me wrong. Soak it until it tastes good, or your drunk. either way, life's all good.

...or follow the Sonic words of wisdom, "put a little chili on it"

sedated
12-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Instructions for good meal:

1. go to Steakhouse
2. buy steak
3. eat it
4. leave

chagrin
12-13-2005, 06:03 PM
thanks dude