PDA

View Full Version : What is your favrite moment in sports history?

Skip Towne
10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Mine is a tie between Otis Taylor grabbing Ben Davidson around the neck and wrestling him down after he speared Lenny out of bounds and Nolan Ryan getting Robin Ventura in a headlock and repeatedly hitting him in the face after Ventura charged the mound.

milkman
10-26-2005, 09:29 PM
You're WWE fan, aren't you?

Count Zarth
10-26-2005, 09:34 PM
97 Donks @ Chiefs, Stoyo with the game-winner.

KCChiefsMan
10-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Red Sox winning it all last year, I grew up near Boston so I've been a fan for a long long time. There's been a few moments for the Chiefs in the mid-90's but it all ended in heart-acke eventually

siberian khatru
10-26-2005, 09:40 PM
George Brett's home run off Goose Gossage in the 1980 ALCS.

Nzoner
10-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Montana to Davis at Mile High on MNF '94 followed by Dierdorf's comment,"Lord you can take me now I've seen it all."

cdcox
10-26-2005, 10:30 PM

mcan
10-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Montana to Davis at Mile High on MNF '94 followed by Dierdorf's comment,"Lord you can take me now I've seen it all."

Easily my favorite moment. In fact, if anybody has that game on tape... I'd like a copy. I know a lot of people have got it online, but I can't get any of that crap to ever work...

Count Zarth
10-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Easily my favorite moment. In fact, if anybody has that game on tape... I'd like a copy. I know a lot of people have got it online, but I can't get any of that crap to ever work...

That's because your stupid!

http://dessent.net/btfaq/

Miles
10-26-2005, 10:36 PM

Yeah that was what I was thinking when i saw this thread title. Amazing finish.

Sportswax
10-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Sitting on the 50 yard line at Arrowhead, as a personal guest of Joe Montana, while he and the Chiefs dismantled the 49ers and Steve Young. The niners won the Superbowl that year, but they didn't stand a ghost of a chance on that day!!!

Rain Man
10-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Keith Cash nailing the Buddy Ryan poster. When he did that, I knew we were going to win. That is the perfect embodiment of attitude.

HolyHandgernade
10-26-2005, 10:45 PM
April 4, 1988. It was my birthday, I was a freshman at KU and the Jayhawks had just beat Oklahoma for the national championship. I've never had so much fun in one night.

-HH

greg63
10-26-2005, 10:50 PM
"94" Chiefs at the Donks: Montana to Davis in the end zone to win the game with only 8 ticks on the clock.

Boozer
10-26-2005, 10:51 PM
A few of my favorites:

Luis Gonzales broken bat single over (what's that guy's name? Skeeter?)'s head.

Tommie Frazier leading a 4th quarter comeback against Miami in the 1995 Orange Bowl.

KU's win over the Okies in 1988.

Keith Poole posing in the endzone of Arizona Stadium (attached).

Several of MJ's buzzer beaters (not even a Bulls fan).

chief52
10-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Well, I am a Dodger fan. My favorite sports moment is the 1988 Dodger/A's World Series...game one. I have only been to one World Series game in my life and that was it. I went by myself because I knew I may never get the chance again. Kirk Gibson hits the game ending home run off of Dennis Eckersley and I was there to feel the thrill. It was awesome...

chefsos
10-26-2005, 11:09 PM
I suppose it ought to be a Chiefs moment, but this is the one that first comes to mind:

1982- Orioles trailed Milwaukee by 8 or 9 games going into September. They cut into the margin some, but were still 3 back as the Brewers came to Baltimore for 4 games to finish the season. Orioles had to win all four, or it was over.

They had to sweep a doubleheader Friday night. They swept it. Had to win Saturday, too. Won it; just crushed 'em. Division's now tied, winner takes all Sunday, but the run ended and the Brewers went on to the Series.

You could say it's a memory of a loser, but that Friday and Saturday and the anticipation of what could be, were the greatest two days of sports memories that I can recall. To this day I believe the '82 Orioles were better than the world championship team of the next season.

Demonpenz
10-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Although i wasn't born at the time the USA vs. Russia hockey game. I like the bo jackson homerun leading off the game. Penguins go back to back in the early 90's with the combo of jagr and lemeuix scoring at will. Dale Earnhart winning the daytona 500.

BigRedChief
10-26-2005, 11:16 PM
The greatest sports montage in history. Made for ESPN's 100 greatest athletes.

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/3025/Sports_Montage.html

You can either view it right there or download it and view it on your own player.

greg63
10-26-2005, 11:26 PM
The greatest sports montage in history. Made for ESPN's 100 greatest athletes.

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/3025/Sports_Montage.html

You can either view it right there or download it and view it on your own player.

Pretty cool! :thumb:

kregger
10-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Easily kicking the Cardinal's ass for the '85 WS. I was at game 7 after sitting thru another pitiful Chiefs loss to the Donks. A full day at the complex, the ending was too sweet as we ran all over that field, high fivin' everyone in sight. Ah.. days that may never happen again

Uatu
10-26-2005, 11:53 PM
this one:

Not one of my teams but has to be the greatest ever

Boardin Bronco
10-26-2005, 11:54 PM
1997 AFC Divisional Playoff
Denver 14 Kansas City 10

svuba
10-27-2005, 12:30 AM
1992 National Championship Game

One miserable week of “football experts” telling us that Bama would not be able to handle the Hurricanes team speed and athleticism..

One week of Interviews with cocky Miami players, and even former players who thought they had already won the national championship, and were not afraid to show it.

Absolutely everyone in the national media kissing Miami’s butt and agreeing that Miami would crush the Tide.

………………………………………………………………………..

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Alabama absolutely murders Miami in every aspect of the Game. The Crimson Tide Defense beating the crap out of Gino Torretta to the point that he no longer wanted to take the field.

George Teague intercepting Torretta, and later in the game outrunning the fastest man in college football & stripping him of the ball at the 5 yard line to prevent a Miami Touchdown.

Watching the formerly cocky Canes walk off the field after being beaten like Dogs…a HUGE disappointment to the program!!!

Final Score BAMA 34 - Miami 13

luv
10-27-2005, 01:15 AM
Denver 14 Kansas City 10
Now there's a shocking answer coming from a Denver fan. :rolleyes:

I would say when Tanya Harding tried to take out Nancy Kerrigan only to have Nancy come back and stomp her arse in the Olympics.

HemiEd
10-27-2005, 03:00 AM
1980, George Brett standing on second base triumphantly raising his arms when he went over .400 batting average. This memory is forever vividly etched in my mind.

Rausch
10-27-2005, 03:02 AM
93, at Houston, after more than one defensive player for the arse-Oilers swore Montana wouldn't finish the game.

God bless Keith Cash for 0wn1ng Buddy Ryan...

OldTownChief
10-27-2005, 05:29 AM
97 Donks @ Chiefs, Stoyo with the game-winner.

One of mine too. I was there for that one. Stayed at the Ritz all weekend. Good times.

redsurfer11
10-27-2005, 05:38 AM
Mine is a tie between Otis Taylor grabbing Ben Davidson around the neck and wrestling him down after he speared Lenny out of bounds and Nolan Ryan getting Robin Ventura in a headlock and repeatedly hitting him in the face after Ventura charged the mound.

The 1970 play with Otis Taylor was the first to come to my mind also. The second, Mets in 1986,Mookie Wilson play with Buckner. Third, 1970 Willis Reed walks onto the court and scores the first 2 baskets in game 7.

ZepSinger
10-27-2005, 05:52 AM

My fav moment as well. And I got to see it at Mile High. Beautiful.

Extra Point
10-27-2005, 06:24 AM
Otis Taylor's TD catch vs the Vikes in our Super Bowl win.

chagrin
10-27-2005, 06:54 AM
Rain Man already mentioned one of mine, except for I would add on to that one, Grunny's after game interview, laying it down on the Oilers, Sportswriters, etc. He was funny.

The duel with Mr. Ed in Denver - '94. Willie making that cluthc ****ing catch and Joe putting it right where it needed to be.

And also, I rather enjoyed DT's first half against the Raiders on Monday night football, watching him pummel Jeff George was great, and classic.

MOhillbilly
10-27-2005, 07:43 AM
it hasnt happened in my lifetime.

BigRedChief
10-27-2005, 08:04 AM
World Series 1967. Bob Gibson (pitching on three days rest)the Cardinal ace clearly permitted only three hits, striking out ten batters and even adding a homerun blast of his own in the fifth. Gibson cruised to the decisive 7-2 victory. He now boasted a 5-1 record and a 2.00 ERA in World Series competition, with fifty-seven strikeouts in fifty-four innings and only thirty-seven hits allowed.

A very fond memory of my youth.

Present Day - Montanta/Elway MNF

Recent - Pujols homer in NCLS

Amnorix
10-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Denver 14 Kansas City 10

So your favorite moment in sports history isn't actually winning the Super Bowl, it's winning a playoff game against KC? :eek:

Amnorix
10-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Can't decide.

The GREATEST kick of all time:

http://sportsposterwarehouse.com/warehouse/vinatieri02pf-1.jpg

SB 36 Kick to win it:

http://images.nfl.com/xxxvi/history/images/vinatieri-xxxvi.jpg

Bird steals it from the hated Pistons:

http://bostonsportsgallery.com/Merchant2/graphics/assets/bird.steal_thumb.jpg

or the 1986 Celtics Championship, capping one of the best NBA years evah for my boys.

http://bostonsportsgallery.com/Merchant2/graphics/assets/locker.room.1986_thumb.jpg

Braincase
10-27-2005, 08:30 AM
2011 Superbowl, where the Dallas Cowboys, up by 5, try to ice the game with a field goal, KC blocks the attempt and runs the ball back for a touchdown...

KCinNY
10-27-2005, 08:30 AM
I was 9 years old.

BigRedChief
10-27-2005, 08:35 AM
2011 Superbowl, where the Dallas Cowboys, up by 5, try to ice the game with a field goal, KC blocks the attempt and runs the ball back for a touchdown...

Cool. I should still be alive then. :clap:

SBK
10-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Marcus Fizer dunking on Chris Mihm to ice the game v Texas ranks up there.

Even though they lost, that year the ISU MSU game to go to the Final 4 was probably the best game I've seen.

Jordans game in the finals v the Jazz when he was sick was awesome too.

DTLB58
10-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Super Bowl XXI Giants 39 Broncos 20
Super Bowl XXII Redskins 42 Broncos 10
Super Bowl XXIV 49ers 55 Broncos 10
Super Bowl XXXVII Bucs 48 Randy Moss and the Raiderz 21

DJJasonp
10-27-2005, 09:02 AM
George Brett's home run off Goose Gossage in the 1980 ALCS.

Without a doubt....this is mine....

I will never forget the look on Gossage's face....

CanadaKC
10-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Derrick Thomas' big 7 sack game against the Seahags...which was the pivotal moment in my becoming a Chiefs fan for life.

Katipan
10-27-2005, 09:04 AM
The 01 World Series.

Because I was there. Because all the pundits said after dropping 3 straight heartbreakers in New York there was no way Arizona was going to win. Because at THAT time, it was in the running as one of the best world series of all time.

Because it started the Yankee downfall. Because we had both Schilling and Johnson at their peaks. And because we all peed our pants a little when after pitching Game 6, Randy came out to be the reliever in Game 7.

The music blaring, the pom poms, that ugly mug stomping out from the bull pen.

Twas awesome.

DJJasonp
10-27-2005, 09:06 AM
One more that comes a close second.....

Kirk Hinrich blocking Jason Gardner's last second shot...and the Hawks exact some revenge against Arizona and move on to Final Four.

Sam
10-27-2005, 09:10 AM
The old ABC Sports trailer, 'the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat' and that poor ski jumper comes rolling and bouncing down the ski jump...

Uatu
10-27-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't really see how any of these could be bigger than Joe Carter's home run. He came up in the bottom of the 9th with two men on and his team down by two, and blasted a home run to win the world series. It wasn't like they just needed one, they needed three runs.

Forget a great finish to some regular season game, forget your team wrapping up a title like a one team does every year. Especially forget some winning effort in a failed playoff run. Ending the world series with a home run, it doesn't get any bigger than that.

The only thing that comes close is a last second kick to win a super bowl maybe, but kicks are just kicks. Hitting a home run has got something that a guy that makes 80-90% of his field goals kicking a field goal dosn't have.

Only thing that touches it is Mazeroski, maybe.

Cormac
10-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Dante Hall's PR against the Broncos in 2003. It's a shame the KC team fizzled that year, but I had a seat on the 50 yard line and the stadium went completely berserk. That moment was incredible.

Ebolapox
10-27-2005, 12:50 PM
god... jordan gave me so many great memories (bulls fan here)--game one of the 92' finals against portland--where he absolutely RAINED threes in the first half--I believe that's where he had like 33 in the first quarter alone...the whole 1996 year from the bulls (72-10)...what (should) have been jordan's final shot in teh finals against the jazz--jeesh, I'm not even dipping into the best moments

chiefs moments... montana to davis, 94 MNF...grbitch to rison against the raiduhs (was it 98 or 99?) in final seconds to win the game...

any number of barry sanders' long dante-hall esque 'videogame' touchdown runs

take your pick, they were all great

-EB-

Ebolapox
10-27-2005, 12:53 PM
I even left out tony hawk's pulling the world's first frontside 900--that was f*cking INSANE

chuck carothers' body varial in the x-games last year was beyond crazy--anybody else see that one?? insanity

http://expn.go.com/media/xgx/mtx/040805_besttricklead_h.jpg

-EB-

sedated
10-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Janet's titty

sedated
10-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Nolan Ryan getting Robin Ventura in a headlock and repeatedly hitting him in the face after Ventura charged the mound.

Kyle Farnsworth taking down Adam Dunn and crushing his face 3 times before help could arrive.
:)
Awesome.

Rain Man
10-27-2005, 01:45 PM
After the Keith Cash hit, these would round out my top five:

2. Montana to Davis, as mentioned many times.

3. Grbac to Rison against the Raiders. The game didn't end up meaning anything, but that was a lightning bolt from the sky. It was an amazing finish.

4. Montana to Barnett on fourth down against the Steelers in the playoffs. (Montana played two years, and he's got two of my top five plays ever.)

5. My memory is sadly fading, but I would have to say it was the Chiefs' third special teams TD against the Steelers in 1986, which got us into the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. I don't remember now if it was the field goal or the punt.

Beneath these, there are any number of great catches by Otis Taylor (the one-hander against the Redskins comes to mind), hits by Willie Lanier and his gang, and sacks by Derrick Thomas where he was lined up and you knew, you just knew, that he was about to wreak havoc. Some of those Dante Hall TDs were pretty nice, too.

The Keith Cash thing can't be overplayed, though. We were in the playoffs, we were getting pushed around by a very, very strong team, and I felt like he turned the whole thing around. He brought the swagger back when we needed it most. It was inspired.

Amnorix
10-27-2005, 01:52 PM
I don't really see how any of these could be bigger than Joe Carter's home run. He came up in the bottom of the 9th with two men on and his team down by two, and blasted a home run to win the world series. It wasn't like they just needed one, they needed three runs.

The question is "what is YOUR favorite moment in sports history".

When asked of me, that means MY favorite moment. I could honestly give a rat's ass about anything the Toronto Blue Jays did, have done, or ever will do. I could barely care less about baseball in general, and then you add on top a divisional rival that I have no love for?

How 'bout this -- you keep your opinions and we'll keep ours?

Rain Man
10-27-2005, 02:08 PM
I bet the same question is on some Afghan bulletin board, and everyone's talking about some play where a guy grabbed a headless goat or whatever from another guy on horseback.

Amnorix
10-27-2005, 02:24 PM
I bet the same question is on some Afghan bulletin board, and everyone's talking about some play where a guy grabbed a headless goat or whatever from another guy on horseback.

Well, clearly they're WRONG, because this Blue Jays guy did such and such...

:shake:

Garcia Bronco
10-27-2005, 02:52 PM
When they picked up Elway and carried him around the Field at the end of Super Bowl 32. Nothing will ever be that good...ever. Basically....I have nothing to live for...mission accomplished.

wilas101
10-27-2005, 03:23 PM
my favorite sports moment isn't from any pro sports but myself.

summer of 1978:

I was 9 and lived in a town of 700 people. The Pony League team was short a player and couldn't find anyone from the Little League team to stick around and play that late so I volunteered. I was still in Pee-Wee at the time and the coach wasn't too hip on the idea of getting me killed by letting me play with 13-15 year olds but I insisted and my folks gave their blessing (I think they were hoping I would get killed) so out I went. They put me in center field so I could be "covered" by the older kids on either side. I was terrified something would be hit my way and the first thing that was was a grounder right back up the middle. It took a bad hop and out of instinct I grabbed it barehand. I thought it broke every bone in my hand.

They sent the kid on around first because they were sure I was about to screw up the play but to the amazement of everyone there I threw him out at second.

I also walked 4 times in that game and scored a couple runs because nobody was used to pitching to anyone my sized. It was a great game.

One of my favorite memories because it was the first time I ever got any respect from the older kids for anything... let alone playing ball.

Extra Point
10-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Another memory I have is when my son executed a triple play. He was 7 or 8: 6-6-3: Caught a line drive to third, stepped on third before the runner could get back, threw out the runner at first before he could get back.

kc rush
10-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Game 6 then game 7 of the '85 World Series.

I'd love to put a Chiefs Superbowl victory in there, but I was only 1-1/2 months old when they won.

siberian khatru
10-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Anybody mention the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey victory over the USSR?

Dremel
10-27-2005, 05:04 PM
When they picked up Elway and carried him around the Field at the end of Super Bowl 32. Nothing will ever be that good...ever. Basically....I have nothing to live for...mission accomplished.

Good now go kill yourself

CHIEF4EVER
10-27-2005, 05:21 PM
#1. 65 Toss Power Trap. That was classic.

#2. Riggins 4th and 1 for 50+ and a TD in the SB.

#3. Montana showing bidge azz Elway who the REAL best QB was in the "comeback" game in Dungver.

#4. Any number of scoring plays in the Donkey SB losses (and there has been a BUNCH ROFL).

redsurfer11
10-27-2005, 07:46 PM

2. Montana to Davis, as mentioned many times.

3. Grbac to Rison against the Raiders. The game didn't end up meaning anything, but that was a lightning bolt from the sky. It was an amazing finish.

4. Montana to Barnett on fourth down against the Steelers in the playoffs. (Montana played two years, and he's got two of my top five plays ever.)

5. My memory is sadly fading, but I would have to say it was the Chiefs' third special teams TD against the Steelers in 1986, which got us into the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. I don't remember now if it was the field goal or the punt.

Beneath these, there are any number of great catches by Otis Taylor (the one-hander against the Redskins comes to mind), hits by Willie Lanier and his gang, and sacks by Derrick Thomas where he was lined up and you knew, you just knew, that he was about to wreak havoc. Some of those Dante Hall TDs were pretty nice, too.

The Keith Cash thing can't be overplayed, though. We were in the playoffs, we were getting pushed around by a very, very strong team, and I felt like he turned the whole thing around. He brought the swagger back when we needed it most. It was inspired.

I think Istill have a game of the week tape of the 86 game against the Steelers. I think there was a long Int return by Kevin Ross, a long kick return by another player and I think Bill Maas blocked a field goat that went for a long TD. Great game,it clinched the Chiefs their first playoff spot since 1971. That was a long 15 year drought. But the following week I got tickets for the Jets/Chiefs at the Meadowlands. Got to watch Blackledge struggle terribly, Chiefs lost 35-15. Only highlight of the game for me was when I called the shot, by predicting Albert Lewis would block the next punt. Called it with a crowd of Jets fans laughing at me.
The Otis Taylor catch with Pat Fisher pinning Taylor's right arm behind his back was the greatest catch in Chiefs history.I only saw one picture of that catch years later in a book at a library in NJ. I starred at that photo for 10 minutes, still couldn't believe Taylor made that catch

Saulbadguy
10-27-2005, 07:55 PM
2005 KSU vs KU. Got our scoreboard back.

2004 KSU @MU, football, amazing comeback. Basketball, winning in Columbia for the first time in 20 years.

2004 Chiefs vs Colts. Awesome offensive game.

2003 Chiefs @ Raiders, MNF. Shawn Barber ends Rich Gannons career.

2003 Kansas State vs Texas, Mens basketball. Texas was ranked #10 in the nation, and we upset them 58-48. I was one of the first ones on the court. I'll never forget that one.

2003 KSU @ Nebraska. 38-9, and then beating them in basketball at the Devaney center for KSU's first road win in some time. Tipped in on a missed FT, and some NU fan threw a water bottle on the court, gets them T'd up, and we win the game.

2003 Chiefs vs Broncos. Dante's run back was incredible.

2003 Big XII Championship. 35-7

2002 Chiefs vs Bills. Eric Warfield picks off Bledsoe right in front of Peerless Price to seal the deal.

2002 Chiefs vs Raiders. 17-10, great defensive game.

2002 KSU vs ASU, Holiday Bowl. Great come from behind victory.

2002 KSU vs KU. 64-0.

Herzig
10-27-2005, 08:05 PM

The 93 Oilers playoff game?

I remember Berman on NFL Primetime saying "Keith Cash TD...finds of poster of Buddy(Ryan)...(As Cash is spiking the ball into Ryan's face on the poster)Keep the change you filthy animal!"

Also..that 93' playoff game against the Steelers was my very 1st time at Arrowhead. We were in the corner of the endzone where that play happened. It was awesome.

Skip Towne
10-27-2005, 10:35 PM
The 93 Oilers playoff game?

I remember Berman on NFL Primetime saying "Keith Cash TD...finds of poster of Buddy(Ryan)...(As Cash is spiking the ball into Ryan's face on the poster)Keep the change you filthy animal!"

Also..that 93' playoff game against the Steelers was my very 1st time at Arrowhead. We were in the corner of the endzone where that play happened. It was awesome.
Hey, dude, you been getting any?

Bearcat
10-28-2005, 06:59 AM
Raymond Bourque lifting the Stanley Cup.

Saulbadguy
10-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Raymond Bourque lifting the Stanley Cup.
That was a good one. Even though I don't like the Av's, it was nice to see him win one. I remember Sakic automatically passing it to him.

CoMoChief
10-28-2005, 09:17 AM
-Mark McGwire's 62nd HR

-George Brett's final home game

-MJ's buzzer beater against Utah in '98 (though he did push off Russell)

-Sweeney charging after that guy while on the base path

-I really liked the Colts Buccs game on MNF a couple seasons ago. To come back like that is just un-heard of.

CoMoChief
10-28-2005, 09:22 AM
My honorable mention goes to the Pacers vs. Pistons game last season when the brawl took place. Not that was a great moment, but the fact that I was watching that game live and I had never seen anything like that in any sports game at any level - period.

RP_McMurphy
10-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Carlton Fisk's homer in Game Six of the 75 World Series.

Christian Lattner's shot in 92 at Philly and yes I am Kentucky fan but it was a great shot.

Cameron Mills crying after winning the 98 National Championship.

Steve Bartman and watching all the Cub fans meltdown.

80 USA Hockey against the Russians.

Bird's steal in the 87 Playoff's to beat the Pistons.

Fluties pass

The Pine Tar game

Just a few I remember

WilliamTheIrish
10-28-2005, 09:59 AM
1) Brett bringing the Royals back from the dead with a 3 run HR off Grant Jackson just inside the RF foul pole at Yankmee Stadium in the 8th inning of Game 5 of the 76 ALCS.

2) IN the 8th inning of Game 5 in the 1977 ALCS Chris Chambliss came to the plate with the Royals clinging to a 1 run lead, Steve Mingori came in to pitch with runners at 1st and 2nd. Chambliss hit a f*cking screaming line drive about 6 inches off the turf that was headed toward CF when Frank White made one of the best plays I've ever seen. He went into a backhand dive and snatched that ball. He had trouble getting the ball out of his glove and when he flipped it to Patek at SS, f*cking Reggie (who if he couldn't hit a baseball would have been a butcher)came barrelling in and spiked Patek. But he got the 3rd out on that force play and we survived into the 9th.

I'll never forget that play. Had the Royals not blown it in the 9th, that play would be part of highlights every October.

It showed why Frank was the best 2nd baseman of his generation. But it was forever lost in that grand f*ck up of a 9th inning.

3) Sproles running wild in the 03 Big 12 CCG to pound the "Greatest team In College Football History.". So many years Snyder waited, and then it all came together that night.

4) Rolando Blackmon htting the buzzer beater in the West regional to knock off #2 Oregon St. in 1981.

5) Mitch Richmond attacking the hoop and Cahrles Bledsoe grabbing every rebound in the 1988 Midwest regional semi's and leading K-State over the #1 seed Purdue Boilermakers.

Skip Towne
10-28-2005, 11:54 AM
1) Brett bringing the Royals back from the dead with a 3 run HR off Grant Jackson just inside the RF foul pole at Yankmee Stadium in the 8th inning of Game 5 of the 76 ALCS.

2) IN the 8th inning of Game 5 in the 1977 ALCS Chris Chambliss came to the plate with the Royals clinging to a 1 run lead, Steve Mingori came in to pitch with runners at 1st and 2nd. Chambliss hit a f*cking screaming line drive about 6 inches off the turf that was headed toward CF when Frank White made one of the best plays I've ever seen. He went into a backhand dive and snatched that ball. He had trouble getting the ball out of his glove and when he flipped it to Patek at SS, f*cking Reggie (who if he couldn't hit a baseball would have been a butcher)came barrelling in and spiked Patek. But he got the 3rd out on that force play and we survived into the 9th.

I'll never forget that play. Had the Royals not blown it in the 9th, that play would be part of highlights every October.

It showed why Frank was the best 2nd baseman of his generation. But it was forever lost in that grand f*ck up of a 9th inning.

3) Sproles running wild in the 03 Big 12 CCG to pound the "Greatest team In College Football History.". So many years Snyder waited, and then it all came together that night.

4) Rolando Blackmon htting the buzzer beater in the West regional to knock off #2 Oregon St. in 1981.

5) Mitch Richmond attacking the hoop and Cahrles Bledsoe grabbing every rebound in the 1988 Midwest regional semi's and leading K-State over the #1 seed Purdue Boilermakers.
Say, William, do you happen to remember who won that tournament you mentioned in #5?

sedated
10-28-2005, 12:37 PM

F*ck you, horsefaced pussie.

Got to be Montana's comeback at Mile-High on Monday Night.

Put those donkies to sleep.

sedated
10-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Robert Horry's game winning shot in the playoffs.

WilliamTheIrish
10-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Say, William, do you happen to remember who won that tournament you mentioned in #5?

Yep.

Halfcan
10-28-2005, 07:34 PM
How about Tanya Harding crying over he broken lace on her skate. Not the best but funnny.

The skier crashing on Wide World of Sports.

The ballm nailing Jose Steroids Cansucko in the head and bouncing over the fence for a homer.

Brett hitting 400

HemiEd
10-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Brett hitting 400

Finally someone else, damn that was incredible. Do you remember him standing on second when he hit that double that did it?

Hydrae
10-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't say favorite but most memorable for me was when Michael Waltrip won the Daytona 500. This was the race where Dale Earnhardt died. Just watching Darrell Waltrip see his brother win the race for the first time and the moment he was across the line, Darrel was looking back at the corner where Dale wrecked. You could tell he knew it was worse than it appeared to me. But to have that level of attention and concern for Dale when his brother had just won the biggest race of them all spoke volumes to me.

Favorite for me would have to be the D-Backs winning the World Series. What a great finish to a great set of games.

irishjayhawk
10-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Another memory I have is when my son executed a triple play. He was 7 or 8: 6-6-3: Caught a line drive to third, stepped on third before the runner could get back, threw out the runner at first before he could get back.
I myself was part of the same kind of deal. My friend caught it, landed on first and threw to me for the third out.

WilliamTheIrish
10-28-2005, 09:29 PM
I left several out. Most notably the 1985 Game 3 ALCS performance of George Brett.

Brett homered in the 1st, doubled in the 4th, Homered with Wilson on the 6th and singled in the 8th.
But the greatest play was in the 3rd after Damaso Garcia doubled but went to 3rd on Skates Smith's error.

LLoyd Moseby hit a chopper that Brett grabbed while moving toward the 3rd base dugout, wheeled and threw across his body to Sunny who nailed Garcia at the plate.

That play should be on every October highlight reel.

Skip Towne
10-28-2005, 09:35 PM
I left several out. Most notably the 1985 Game 3 ALCS performance of George Brett.

Brett homered in the 1st, doubled in the 4th, Homered with Wilson on the 6th and singled in the 8th.
But the greatest play was in the 3rd after Damaso Garcia doubled but went to 3rd on Skates Smith's error.

LLoyd Moseby hit a chopper that Brett grabbed while moving toward the 3rd base dugout, wheeled and threw across his body to Sunny who nailed Garcia at the plate.

That play should be on every October highlight reel.
Followed by Bo Jackson's perfect throw to home from the left field corner of the Kingdome. I remember the announcer (Denny Matthews ?) saying "Has that guy got muscles and tendons or pulleys and cables?"

chefsos
10-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Followed by Bo Jackson's perfect throw to home from the left field corner of the Kingdome. I remember the announcer (Denny Matthews ?) saying "Has that guy got muscles and tendons or pulleys and cables?"
Bo was indeed special. I remember once in Baltimore, he was at the plate, waving his right hand to call time. It was too late because the pitcher was already delivering. So, he brought the hand back down onto the bat handle while the pitch was on its way, and hit the ball into the left field seats. You got the feeling he could do that kind of stuff anytime he wanted to.

Ari Chi3fs
10-28-2005, 10:16 PM
my personal favorite was Dane Iorg's Ninth inning hit in Game 6 that scored 2, with Jim Sundberg scoring the winning run. It was amazing. I was 12... I lived for baseball at the time. I dont think any sports moment can top that sports moment... it is frozen in time as a supremely wonderful element of my youth...

Good times.

Fruit Ninja
10-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Kirk Gibson 88 world series. My first and only World Series i seen the Dodgers win. I couldnt even imagine if the Chiefs were to win the Super Bowl, i would honestly choke up a bit n probably shed some tears in joy.

Bwana
10-29-2005, 07:04 AM
While there a several Chiefs moments that would make my top ten list, "Do you believe in miracles?" The 1980 USA Hockey Team (and I am not a Hockey fan) would be my number 1. That was one of the greatest upsets of all time.

Ari Chi3fs
05-09-2006, 04:43 PM
My favorite sports moment was Game 6 of 1985 world series.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 04:53 PM
I am sorry, my favorite moment was at a High School football game.

The team from the big city was suppose to beat our boys by 40 points, the TV guy from the big city said so on TV the monday before the game.

We go on to beat them 14 to 12, and the fool manned up and came to the little city and was arrested at the city limits and thrown in the little city jail(for a couple of hours).

Then the little city took him downtown to an old, old school eatery and forced him to eat some "crow"(cornish hen).

Nothing like an underdog kicking the ass of the favorite.

Calcountry
05-09-2006, 04:58 PM
I am sorry, my favorite moment was at a High School football game.

The team from the big city was suppose to beat our boys by 40 points, the TV guy from the big city said so on TV the monday before the game.

We go on to beat them 14 to 12, and the fool manned up and came to the little city and was arrested at the city limits and thrown in the little city jail(for a couple of hours).

Then the little city took him downtown to an old, old school eatery and forced him to eat some "crow"(cornish hen).

Nothing like an underdog kicking the ass of the favorite.A close second, was being able to go down to the first deck of the Coliseum in 1989, and watch Dave Stewart close out the Giants in the World series, because the Giants fans couldn't take it anymore and vacated their seats.

Delano
05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
The 1991 World Series was my favorite sports moment.

Game six when Kirby Puckett homered in the bottom of the 11th against Charlie Leibrandt to cause this phrase by Jack Buck, "And we'll see you... TOMORROW NIGHT!"

Game seven was Jack Morris' famous ten-inning shutout in which Gene Larkin hit in the winning run.

I just turned ten years old a week before the series began and it was the best gift I could ever hope for.

greg63
05-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Almost there; just 8 more posts! :D

Halfcan
05-10-2006, 12:02 AM
I will chip in, Bonds getting robbed of a homer tonight!

greg63
05-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Nolan Ryan giving up five hits off of this guy in one inning. (I can't remember the batters name, and I can only see part of it on his jersy)

chefsos
05-10-2006, 01:43 AM
Nolan Ryan giving up five hits off of this guy in one inning. (I can't remember the batters name, and I can only see part of it on his jersy)
That's the Robin Ventura beatdown Skip cited.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Phil Mickelson winning the 2004 Masters. Pujols hitting the homerun off of Lidge (helped motivate me to drive 1000 miles roundtrip to watch one game). Jordan over Russell in '98. Hogan kicking out of the Macho Man's elbow and giving him the boot and leg drop for the win at Wrestlemania V. Stone Cold Steve Austin breaking into Brian Pillman's house and Pillman pulling a gun on him before the feed dropped. Carl Lewis's national anthem. The Rock kicking former Florida State Seminole Ron Simmons in the throat and telling him, "take that back to Haiti where you come from". The look on that fans face before Artest slammed his head into the seat...Jermaine O'Neal annihilating that fat Mexican dude rushing the court. The Royals for the last 20 years. Shawn Michaels Superkicking Marty Jannetty through Brutus the Barber Beefcake's Barbershop window. Lou Pinella fighting Bobby Bonilla. Hal McRae's office-destroying tantrum. Jake Taylor calling his shot and then bunting. Mo Lewis shearing an artery in Drew Bledsoe's chest. Leslie O'Neal knocking Jeff George into the stone age. The Rock hitting Mankind over the head with a steel chair 15 straight times with Mankind's hands cuffed in an "I Quit Match". Mike Tyson knocking that one dude with the huge crack afro retarded. Larry Holmes performing a dropkick from a BMW onto Trevor Berbick.

Over-Head
05-10-2006, 02:26 AM
I never saw the whole thing, but wayyyy back when ABC’s wide world of sports used to have a montage of action shots when they opened, and every week I’d cringe as that poor bastard wiped out on the down hill ski’s right before taking a jump.

- Buster Douglas proving to the world Mike Tyson could actually be knocked to the mat

-Kenny Bernstine tearing up the field at the 94 Gator Nationals

-Eddie Hill making the first sub 5 second 1/4 mile pass, I still have the issue of "Hot Rod" magazine from the following month.

-My Beloved Ra!ders getting stomped like silly putty in the SB
-Any season the Chiefs get knocked out of the playoff picture :evil:

-The Ultimate Warrior beating Hogan for the title at werstlemaina

Rausch
05-10-2006, 02:27 AM
The Rumble in the Jungle, hands down...

J Diddy
05-10-2006, 02:37 AM

I figured you'd have when James Naismith invented basketball.

Rausch
05-10-2006, 03:05 AM
Phil Mickelson winning the 2004 Masters.

alanm
05-10-2006, 03:13 AM
Nolan Ryan getting Robin Ventura in a headlock and repeatedly hitting him in the face after Ventura charged the mound.
This is just my own personal opinion mind you, But any guy named Robin should get their ass whupped every time by guys named Nolan. I mean, could you go on living with the shame of having your ass kicked by a guy named Robin? :shake:

Short Leash Hootie
05-10-2006, 03:14 AM
Jordan announcing his 'original' return to the NBA.

Skip Towne
05-10-2006, 05:15 AM
This is just my own personal opinion mind you, But any guy named Robin should get their ass whupped every time by guys named Nolan. I mean, could you go on living with the shame of having your ass kicked by a guy named Robin? :shake:
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Ventura heading to the mound. That was beyond stupid.

KCTitus
05-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Montana's last minute TD drive to beat the Broncos in MNF in 1993. The shot of Elway on the sideline was priceless.

Dartgod
05-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Hogan kicking out of the Macho Man's elbow and giving him the boot and leg drop for the win at Wrestlemania V. Stone Cold Steve Austin breaking into Brian Pillman's house and Pillman pulling a gun on him before the feed dropped...The Rock kicking former Florida State Seminole Ron Simmons in the throat and telling him, "take that back to Haiti where you come from"...Shawn Michaels Superkicking Marty Jannetty through Brutus the Barber Beefcake's Barbershop window...The Rock hitting Mankind over the head with a steel chair 15 straight times with Mankind's hands cuffed in an "I Quit Match".
The Ultimate Warrior beating Hogan for the title at werstlemainaThe thread is "favorite moment in sports history", not favorite scripted moment in some stupid fake wrestling show. :rolleyes:

Skip Towne
05-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Haha. Ryan autographed that pic.

Chief Henry
05-10-2006, 08:37 AM
It was October 6, 1980. Remsen St. Marys beat Kee High 8-4 for the state baseball tournyment championship. I started in right field that game. I went 2-4 at the plate with 2 runs scored. I did have one throwing error. But I also had two put outs on fly balls hit to me. It was the first of SIX State Baseball Championships for our school.

The USA hockey win over Russia and then the Gold
medal game to follow over Sweden in 1980.

Iowa Mens basketaball win over Georgetown
to advance to the Final four......1980

1980 was alot of fun I guess.

The Montana - Elway game was special.

THe 1997 playoff game between KC and Denver
will always be in my memory bank. I was at that game. Beleave it or not, NFL films was at that game filming and a one point in the game one of the camera men was up in the SW corner right beside me, four rows from the TOP of the SW corner. About 10 years ago I saw the 30 minute NFL films documentary of the 1997 Denver team that won the Superbowl....I'm on that NFL films of the 1997 Bronco's. Its towards the end of the show,before they play a few clips form that playoff game that we were jobbed. Vaseline and Tony G. non TD. We had a KC Chief defender TACKLED in the endzone when Denver was puniting out of the west endzone. It should have been a safety for a holding call. How the officials missed that is just :banghead:

SCTrojan
05-10-2006, 08:54 AM
my personal favorite was Dane Iorg's Ninth inning hit in Game 6 that scored 2, with Jim Sundberg scoring the winning run. It was amazing. I was 12... I lived for baseball at the time. I dont think any sports moment can top that sports moment... it is frozen in time as a supremely wonderful element of my youth...

Good times.

That's my favorite pro sports moment overall.

My favorite that I witnessed personally was the opening-day comeback by the Royals over the White Sox in 2004. The stadium went berserk.

Garcia Bronco
05-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Super Bowl 32

Jesus
05-10-2006, 09:20 AM
If I had to pick one? The Miracle on Ice. Truly, that was a miracle.

FAX
05-10-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't remember the year, I don't remember the date, and I don't know if it's already been mentioned because I am incapable of reading this entire thread.

But, I was in DisneyLand with the FAX family one year and the Chiefs played the goats on Monday night. Montana drove the field and scored with something like no time on the clock. I watched the game from our room in the TahitiLand Hotel or whatever it was called and, when we scored, woke up everyone on the floor. Chills, dude. Chills.

FAX

greg63
05-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Haha. Ryan autographed that pic.
ROFL
Yep; I wish I had it in my collection rather then finding it off the net.

yunghungwell
05-10-2006, 12:11 PM

A valid point maybe, but I bet you didn't know that Nolan Ryan's given name is Lynn Nolan Ryan. No wonder he went by Nolan!

Cochise
05-10-2006, 12:22 PM
1. 1980 US Hockey team knocks off Russia
2. Cal Ripken Jr breaks Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak
3. Joe Carter's walkoff home run to win the 1993 World Series
4. "The drive"
5. Kirk Gibson's home run in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series
6. Jordan's game winning shot in the 1998 finals vs. Utah
7. Northwest Missouri State defeats Carson-Newman in 4 overtimes to win the D2 football national championship in the greatest football game ever played.

yunghungwell
05-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Wow I am surprised how many baseball memories are being mentioned.

I grew up with a huge Cardinals fan for a father. I guess that it rubbed off on me, and has gotten more intense as got older, so I have many memories of games I was at or watched on the tube. Here a just a few in no particular order.

1) I had tickets to Gm 7 of the '04 NLCS so when Jim Edmonds hit a walk-off HR in Gm 6 I almost tore the house down.

2) Scott Rolen's Gm 7 HR in the '04 NLCS.

3) Jim Edmonds diving catch in center in that same Gm 7.

4) Pujols' top of the 9th, 2 out, 2 strike HR to bring the '05 NLCS back to St. Louis. (Then they lost.)

5) David Eckstein hit a walk off grand slam against the Braves on my wife's birthday last year, and that was the first time I had taken her to a game in STL.

yunghungwell
05-10-2006, 12:24 PM
7. Northwest Missouri State defeats Carson-Newman in 4 overtimes to win the D2 football national championship in the greatest football game ever played.

Damn! How could I forget that one? INTENSE!!

I guess that I just have baseball on the brain because of the time of year.

Cochise
05-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Damn! How could I forget that one? INTENSE!!

I guess that I just have baseball on the brain because of the time of year.

I know it's only D2, but I put it on there because it was a title game and I got to see it in person.

Its kind of depressing to know that you have already seen the greatest game you will ever see in your life in any sport at any level.

Now that I think about it, you have to put Mazeroski's home run up there above any of the other home runs.

Skip Towne
05-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Snicker

hawkchief
05-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Two events tie for me:

Chris Piper's baseline jumper to seal KU's '88 NCAA Title victory.

Tom Watson's chip-in on the 17th (71st) hole at Pebble Beach to win the "82 US Open.