PDA

View Full Version : IP confusion

Big Slick
10-27-2005, 12:42 AM
I've got a NetGear router w/firewall in my home and I have cable internet. Two PC's wired to it, and one wireless laptop. On one of the wired PC's, I'm trying to get a piece of software to run that watches my poker games to collect hand histories. The guy who "supports" it thinks I'm having firewall problems, something isn't allowing his software to "sniff" the poker software, whatever that means. He suggested hooking my PC up directly to my cable modem, removing the router/firewall to see if that is indeed the source of the problem. Trouble is, when I hook up that way, I can't get online. I know next to nothing about IP's, but I do think there's something different about them once routers get into the mix, correct?

So how do I get my PC online without it going through the router?

Also, does anybody have any clue what this "sniffing" thing is he's talking about, and how to let it "sniff" with the router and firewall in place?

Thanks a lot!

XXXshogunXXX
10-27-2005, 12:48 AM
ehh..do you have cable or DSL? your computer should work directly to the modem, maybe a power cycle could fix it. If you have static ip setup with your ISP..then your computer will need to also be setup with a static ip to work directly to the modem. Some DSL connections require some kind of pppoe software when the computer is connected directly to he modem. If the router handles the PPPoe connection, then there could be a chance the computer wont connect back to the modem, unless the ISP sets it back up.

To check if it is a router/firewall problem, try the program from the 2 other computers. If they dont work, then its the router. It may need ports opened. If they do work, then its that computer alone thats the problem.

Big Slick
10-27-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm running cable. I just went through the whole switch over/power cycle thing again, this time I'm online. Who knows what I was screwing up!

Anyway, now the software works, so it is my router/firewall that's screwing up this "sniffer" software. Any ideas what to experiment with in that regard? I don't like the idea of totally disabling the firewall just for this one piece of software...

XXXshogunXXX
10-27-2005, 01:35 AM
the program youre running probably has ports that needs to be opened in the router. You can specfically open ports (not all) for that computer alone..

For example...the game requires port TCP 4100 opened. You would have to log into your Netgear router, and open port TCP 4100 to your computer's ip address. yeah it sounds confusing.

Netgear's support site walks you through it..
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101145.asp

But first, you would have to find out which port needs to be opened in your router. Normally the programs website might have it...or you can ask another user who also has a router, which port they opened.

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 09:05 AM
The guy's proggie uses a specific TCP or UDP port. Since it appears you've been talking to him directly to get support, ask him what ports his applet uses, then follow Shogun's instructions to open that port on your FW.

Big Slick
10-27-2005, 11:15 AM
thanks guys, i'll give it a shot

Big Slick
10-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Well, I heard back for the software guy. I mentioned to him the ideas some of you had about opening ports and such, and asked him if you were on the right track. Here's his response:

Unfortunately, no, I don't think they are on the right track.
HandGrabber just watches traffic on the local machine, it doesn't talk
out to any other sites, so opening a port won't help.

Some other people have this problem too, I don't know if any of them
have a Netgear router. You can tell them this, but I doubt they can
help you. The basic problem is that there are missing TCP sequence
numbers, so HG just sits and waits for the missing packets (that
aren't really missing). As far as I understand it, HG either
implements TCP packet reordering slightly incorrectly, or everything
else is just slightly lenient.

Some have been able to solve the problem by tweaking their network,
but I do not know what actually causes the sequence numbers to change
or how to fix it.

I've been working on a rewrite of HG to fix this and other problems,
but the going is quite slow.

I know this isn't much to work with, but any ideas would be great. Obviously, this kind of stuff isn't exactly right up my alley! :)