PDA

View Full Version : Damn you, Blizzard

keg in kc
10-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/world-of-warcraft-expansion/662507p1.html

I can feel myself starting to cave already. God it'll suck starting all over again. This is what I get for quitting 8 months ago.

ChiefFripp
10-30-2005, 12:45 AM
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/world-of-warcraft-expansion/662507p1.html

I can feel myself starting to cave already. God it'll suck starting all over again. This is what I get for quitting 8 months ago.
I sold my copy of WoW and I'm going to have to buy another and get my guy to LVL 60 before the expansion. I'm right there with you buddy.

Saulbadguy
10-30-2005, 08:04 AM
Wake me when Diablo III comes out.

KC Jones
10-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Hmmm...

I've been seriously considering a MMORPG lately. I've never entered the MMO world before and I've narrowed it to 2:

1) Guild Wars - no monthly fee, high marks on reviews, non-traditional elements make it sound more strategy oriented and less like a treadmill

2) Wow - all the usual reasons.

I'm leaning towards GW for now.

Pants
10-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Seriously, WoW might be the best game I've ever played next to HL(2) and all the mods. The monthly fee (which isn't bad at all) is totally worth it. I used to laugh at MMO people, then I got owned by WoW. If I were you, I wouldn't play either, that shit is simply too addicting. If you do pick your poison... take WoW (much lower sys reqs and incredible improvements coming in the next few months). I haven't played GW, but WoW is the simple most deepest game I have ever seen, there's so much shit and it's so user friendly, it's simply incredible.

KcMizzou
10-30-2005, 12:46 PM
I used to laugh at MMO people, then I got owned by WoW. Heh... I hear that. I've maxed out one character (level-wise, not gear), and have another at level 42. Been playing since last Thanksgiving.

ArrowheadHawk
10-31-2005, 11:33 PM
i like City of Heroes

Saulbadguy
11-01-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm leary about getting in to another MMORPG. I have a buddy who plays WoW, and I was asking him about it. Of course he loved it..but then he said "Wait, you are getting married aren't you? I guess if you want a quick divorce, it would be fine."

Pants
11-01-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm leary about getting in to another MMORPG. I have a buddy who plays WoW, and I was asking him about it. Of course he loved it..but then he said "Wait, you are getting married aren't you? I guess if you want a quick divorce, it would be fine."

Don't do it. That shit is crack cocaine x 42.

ChiefFripp
11-03-2005, 01:18 AM
I was able to retrive my level 60 Paladin. If any of you are on Gorefiend, feel free to look up FolkLord.

Pants
11-03-2005, 03:34 AM
I was able to retrive my level 60 Paladin. If any of you are on Gorefiend, feel free to look up FolkLord.

Retribution or Holy?

ChiefFripp
11-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Retribution or Holy?

Retribution.

Pants
11-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Retribution.

Nice, I got a 43 ret pally.

keg in kc
11-03-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm so hooked again. Started on a new server (haven't even logged onto my 60), probably 30 by tomorrow. And I'm not even trying to level fast; I'm doing this insane thing where I'm doing every f*cking alliance quest I can find. So far, by level 23, I've managed to do all but two of them before they go grey.

My head hurts.

Pants
11-04-2005, 05:33 AM
I'm so hooked again. Started on a new server (haven't even logged onto my 60), probably 30 by tomorrow. And I'm not even trying to level fast; I'm doing this insane thing where I'm doing every f*cking alliance quest I can find. So far, by level 23, I've managed to do all but two of them before they go grey.

My head hurts.

Which server? How long did it take you to reach 23? How do you know where and when to get the quests in order to achieve what you're trying to do.

GoTrav
11-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Nice, I got a 43 ret pally.

lame Pallies. What server are most of you playing on? I got a 60 UD Rogue on Crushridge (PVP) and just reopened my account last Friday and have been working on my Mage.

I have GW, but haven't played it in a while. If you can get the client, someone can play my account...just PM me.

GoTrav
11-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Hmmm...

I've been seriously considering a MMORPG lately. I've never entered the MMO world before and I've narrowed it to 2:

1) Guild Wars - no monthly fee, high marks on reviews, non-traditional elements make it sound more strategy oriented and less like a treadmill

I'm leaning towards GW for now.

WoW is better IMO.

On the Horde side, I can get 23 in a few days...just because I've leveled up a lot of characters to the level range and basically have all the quests memorized.

I've been wanting to try the Alliance side, and have a 17 NE Hunter...but I'm kind of at a stuck point on where I should be questing/exping. Anyone recommend some leveling locations?

Wrasse
11-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Going to give this game a shot again (only ever got to 23 before getting tired of the horrible community that surrounds the game...although I was on a PvP server and they tend to be much worse than the others). Re-rolled on one of the RP-PVP servers and the fiance and I are looking forward to killing some Alliance scum.

For the Horde! :)

ChiefFripp
11-04-2005, 02:09 PM
WoW is better IMO.

On the Horde side, I can get 23 in a few days...just because I've leveled up a lot of characters to the level range and basically have all the quests memorized.

I've been wanting to try the Alliance side, and have a 17 NE Hunter...but I'm kind of at a stuck point on where I should be questing/exping. Anyone recommend some leveling locations?

head to Westfall at that level range.

Spicy McHaggis
11-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Speaking of Blizzard whatever happened to "Ghost"?

Claynus
11-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Why is it so addictive?

Pants
11-04-2005, 10:13 PM
lame Pallies. What server are most of you playing on? I got a 60 UD Rogue on Crushridge (PVP) and just reopened my account last Friday and have been working on my Mage.

I have GW, but haven't played it in a while. If you can get the client, someone can play my account...just PM me.

LOL Just because you get a shitty heal skill doesn't mean you're lame. I think rogues are lame, what is your crit chance by lvl 60? Something around 35? That's f*cking ridiculous. Not even talking about stealthing, now that is some gay shit.

keg in kc
11-04-2005, 11:06 PM
I've been wanting to try the Alliance side, and have a 17 NE Hunter...but I'm kind of at a stuck point on where I should be questing/exping. Anyone recommend some leveling locations?There's a ton of quests in Auberdine (Darkshore) in that level range, and then you'll head into Ashenvale and the Stonetalon mountains. It's night elf lands, and while you'll still find people there, generally less crowded than the more populous eastern kingdoms.

And if you're PvP, you'll have the added thrill of Horde encounters.

I started on Illidan (PvP) but left there last year and have a 60 on cenarion circle (RP) that I doubt I'll play again. My main now is a 25 warrior on Kael'thas.

Ultra Peanut
11-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Hmmm...

I'm leaning towards GW for now.From what I've heard, GW isn't really an "MMO," in the strictest sense.

i like City of HeroesI6 and Enhancement "Diversification" (read: Limitation) NERF BOMB aside, I'm still loving it, and I've been playing since July. CoV has added some sparks, both in unique tilesets/villains/graphical features and the new PvP zones (I really don't like PvP, but Siren's Call is pretty awesome, with the army vs. army feel of it; of course, few villains are high enough to participate yet, so it's mostly PvE madness at this point), and I can't really complain about much aside from Cryptic's trend towards the rest of the MMO pack in terms of customer satisfaction, which is definitely a negative move.

Valiant
11-07-2005, 10:22 PM
From what I've heard, GW isn't really an "MMO," in the strictest sense.

I6 and Enhancement "Diversification" (read: Limitation) NERF BOMB aside, I'm still loving it, and I've been playing since July. CoV has added some sparks, both in unique tilesets/villains/graphical features and the new PvP zones (I really don't like PvP, but Siren's Call is pretty awesome, with the army vs. army feel of it; of course, few villains are high enough to participate yet, so it's mostly PvE madness at this point), and I can't really complain about much aside from Cryptic's trend towards the rest of the MMO pack in terms of customer satisfaction, which is definitely a negative move.

I got a toon on Guardian on COV..

David.
11-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Why is it so addictive?

subliminal messages, i'm convinced.

David.
11-15-2005, 10:21 AM
From what I've heard, GW isn't really an "MMO," in the strictest sense.

I bought GW, played it for 3 days, and haven't touched it since.

Game sucks imo

Pants
11-15-2005, 11:00 AM
I bought GW, played it for 3 days, and haven't touched it since.

Game sucks imo

Probably because you're spoiled by the awesomeness that is WoW. I can't imagine any mmo being better than WoW.

dirk digler
11-15-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't understand or get WoW or games like that. Maybe someone can explain why these type of games are so popular. Plus don't you have to pay a monthly fee to play?

Pants
11-15-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't understand or get WoW or games like that. Maybe someone can explain why these type of games are so popular. Plus don't you have to pay a monthly fee to play?

Have you played WoW?

dirk digler
11-16-2005, 06:35 AM
Have you played WoW?

No. I haven't played Everquest either.

Are these games like Dungeons and Dragons?

Wrasse
11-16-2005, 09:37 AM

It might be easier to check it out on your own if you have time for the download, etc.:

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/worldofwarcraft/trial/wow_nonreg.aspx

Take care.

Pants
11-16-2005, 11:15 AM

My roommate who started me on WoW, says Everquest is a complete piece of shit compared to WoW, he says he wants to puke now thinking about EQ after having played WoW. You can't really understand a game if you've never played it and the $12 fee is completely worth it, as, IMO, it's by far the best form of home entertainment there is. I used to hate on mmo's, but I have to say, this game is f*cking good.

And it's not like Dungeons and Dragons, it's more like a whole separate world, where you aren't driven by the story, but instead, your main priority is to be as bad ass as you can. There are so many different things you can do, it's amazing and the best part is the simplicity of the game given it's incredible depth. Freaking 10 year olds play it with their 35 year old parents...

KC Jones
11-18-2005, 06:09 AM

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Dungeons_&_Dragons

if you get into that whack demon worshipping shit you should read this:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

That way you'll come back to jebus!

keg in kc
11-20-2005, 12:01 AM
And it's not like Dungeons and Dragons, it's more like a whole separate world, where you aren't driven by the story, but instead, your main priority is to be as bad ass as you can.Actually there's a very deep and detailed storyline, if you want to be both badass and keep up with the story.

Pants
11-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Actually there's a very deep and detailed storyline, if you want to be both badass and keep up with the story.

Yeah, if you read all those books to find out the story. However, I don't think the game is driven by the story like any given single player RPG, you know what I mean?

keg in kc
11-20-2005, 08:05 PM
I don't think it's a whole lot different, myself. Single-player RPGs are just as much about acquiring stuff as WoW is, and WoW is just as much about story.

And you don't have to read any books. Start with reading the text in the quest descriptions. It's amazing how much everything is tied together.

KcMizzou
11-20-2005, 08:55 PM
There was a link to a library on the official site the other day. Since you don't have time to stop and read them in places like Scarlet Monastary, they've compiled them all in one web site. I'll post a link when I get home later tonight. Pretty interesting stuff.

Pants
11-21-2005, 12:06 AM
I don't think it's a whole lot different, myself. Single-player RPGs are just as much about acquiring stuff as WoW is, and WoW is just as much about story.

And you don't have to read any books. Start with reading the text in the quest descriptions. It's amazing how much everything is tied together.

I don't know, seems to me like in SP RPGs, you are the hero and you progress through the story, in WoW, there are a few quests now and then that tie into the "invisible" story, but most are just helping the NPC's do this and get that, kill those and protect these. In SP RPGs, you get to see the story whether you want it or not, in WoW, you can just pretty much go through the game completely oblivious to why you're doing anything, like most of the people do.

KC Jones
11-21-2005, 06:01 AM
I don't know, seems to me like in SP RPGs, you are the hero and you progress through the story, in WoW, there are a few quests now and then that tie into the "invisible" story, but most are just helping the NPC's do this and get that, kill those and protect these. In SP RPGs, you get to see the story whether you want it or not, in WoW, you can just pretty much go through the game completely oblivious to why you're doing anything, like most of the people do.

Haven't played WoW but I've got to think that's true. In a MMO world there's no way every player can be the protagonist.

Detoxing
11-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Cura, lvl 60 rank 6 priest on Archimonde. WoW is crack, anyone that starts playing and can bare through the first 20 lvls is stuck for life.

htismaqe
11-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Damn you, keg.

Now I'm gonna have to go buy this game...

Shag
11-21-2005, 12:30 PM
This game is brutally addictive. I've been playing since 10/1, and have a 45 Tauren Shaman and a 26 Orc Hunter (both on Gurubashi). I've played a couple MMOs before, and WoW destroys them all. It's quite impressive, really...

On the other hand, Blizzard has shown complete ineptitute in keeping the game running. Since I've been playing, the login servers go down at least twice a week - always during prime time. Gets really frustrating, especially considering how much money they're bringing in. 4+ million subscribers, $15.99 monthly (that's over $64 MILLION a month, for you non-math people), and they can't have things running smoothly a year after release? C'mon Blizz - throw us a bone here...

keg in kc
11-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Brutally addictive is an understatement. I can't believe I let myself get sucked back in again.

dirk digler
11-21-2005, 09:22 PM
I still don't get it. What do you do and what makes this game so appealing?

KcMizzou
11-21-2005, 11:43 PM
There was a link to a library on the official site the other day. Since you don't have time to stop and read them in places like Scarlet Monastary, they've compiled them all in one web site. I'll post a link when I get home later tonight. Pretty interesting stuff.
Here's that link

http://www.kerisawest.com/library/index.html

Pants
11-21-2005, 11:46 PM
I still don't get it. What do you do and what makes this game so appealing?

That's like me saying I still don't get crack. Why is crack so addicting? Unless I try, I'll never know.

dirk digler
11-22-2005, 07:14 AM
That's like me saying I still don't get crack. Why is crack so addicting? Unless I try, I'll never know.

Good point. I guess I will try the demo to see what all of the hype and addiction is about.

keg in kc
12-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Just hit 48. I've guilded up this time, so it looks like I might have a shot to do some of the end-game stuff I've never had the opportunity to do before now. But I'm playing entirely too much.

AZORChiefFan
12-01-2005, 04:24 PM
I have a level 56 Tauren Druid and I haven't played in over a month. I feel like I should get him to 60 just to say I accomplished something. Instances in higher levels take too long for me to play them 1 hour or so getting a group together 3-5 hours of instancing. Jeebus a whole night spent and I might get one piece of gear and maybe 1/4 level. I officially have kicked my WoW habit.

keg in kc
12-01-2005, 04:25 PM
I said the very same thing about 6 months ago.

Hydrae
12-01-2005, 04:36 PM
This game is so bad I saw the thread header from the lounge and had to see what the thread was about.

I have been playing for over a year now. Usually my online entertainment keeps me interested for about 6 months, this is some kind of record for me. I have a 60 hunter (dwarf, not one of the many, many Night Elves), a 44 warrior and a couple of mid 20 toons. I spend entirely too many late nights playing WOW but the wife is fairly understanding. My kids all play a couple hours a week as well (my son is up to 41 with his rogue).

As to what makes it so good, it is a huge world that you can do so many things within. You can follow story lines or just grind for hours in any location. The personal interactions are a lot of what has held my interest. Being a family guy, this game allows me a social outlet while still being home and available to the wife and kids.

BTW, I play on Feathermoon, a RP server.

keg in kc
12-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Do you actually RP?

Reason I ask is that I played on Cenarion Circle back at the beginning of the year because of the harsher naming rules (bugs me on my pve server now...) and because I thought the player base would be more mature, although I didn't RP much myself.

Hydrae
12-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Do you actually RP?

Reason I ask is that I played on Cenarion Circle back at the beginning of the year because of the harsher naming rules (bugs me on my pve server now...) and because I thought the player base would be more mature, although I didn't RP much myself.

Personally I RP very little although I have a backstory for my hunter. I enjoy seeing it around me though. And yes, I find that most of the players are reasonably mature.

I also put my kids on a PvE server to avoid the nude dancing in Goldshire and the like! ROFL

keg in kc
12-01-2005, 04:59 PM
I haven't noticed any less nude dancing on my PvE server than I saw on PvP or RP.

Not that I pay much attention when it does happen.

Hydrae
12-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

I upgraded my RAM to 1G a couple of weeks ago and the lag in Ironforge is almost completely gone! :thumb: I got so tired of falling into the pit between the Auction House and the bank.

This next patch should help with this as well. Auction Houses will be available from all of the major cities and linked together. So you can be in Darnassus and accessing the same auctions as the one showing in Ironforge. Also, looking for group and trade channels will be shared across the major cities. That may help to pull a little of the pressure off Ironforge at long last.

keg in kc
12-01-2005, 07:53 PM
I upgraded my ram to 1g yesterday. Noticable difference, although there's still some lag. I was excited to read about that ah change. Also interested to see what they change/add to the timbermaws. Which I'm about to start grinding. (ugh)

Saulbadguy
12-01-2005, 08:11 PM
How can you grief in this game?

That's all im really interested in.

htismaqe
12-01-2005, 08:24 PM
How can you grief in this game?

That's pretty f'in sad...

Pants
12-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

I upgraded my RAM to 1G a couple of weeks ago and the lag in Ironforge is almost completely gone! :thumb: I got so tired of falling into the pit between the Auction House and the bank.

This next patch should help with this as well. Auction Houses will be available from all of the major cities and linked together. So you can be in Darnassus and accessing the same auctions as the one showing in Ironforge. Also, looking for group and trade channels will be shared across the major cities. That may help to pull a little of the pressure off Ironforge at long last.

It's going to be a mess trying to gen. chat and trade with people with all the LFG shit going on from all the cities in one place. I don't like the idea, personally. I'm also very excited for the Pally changes, me being a Retnoob and all.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2005, 09:33 PM
That's pretty f'in entertaining...
fyp :harumph:

Fruit Ninja
12-02-2005, 04:55 AM
shit, i have had a 60 rogue undead, that i been trying to sell. I am done with that game. Pretty graphics, but i didnt like how easy it was to level and how there is like no community. My account is just rotting.

Wrasse
12-02-2005, 10:03 AM
shit, i have had a 60 rogue undead, that i been trying to sell. I am done with that game. Pretty graphics, but i didnt like how easy it was to level and how there is like no community. My account is just rotting.I guess it depends on the server you choose.

I've rerolled several times and quit for 8 months due to the many retards that play (though with so many million subscribers you just can't help but encounter oodles of tards).

I saw a good community on Earthen Ring (RP) but I missed the PvP...I saw a horrible community on Laughing Skull (PvP) and missed the maturity and RP...with the RP-PvP servers, I'm finally enjoying the game. The fiance and I are up into our 30s on Emerald Dream (31 Tauren Shaman / 31 Troll Mage) and since we have 7 other friends of ours playing, it's been a good time.

As far as being easy to level...it's nice when you have a real life to attend to and a business to run and a house to remodel and...well it is a welcome change from the Sony products out there.

The thing I like most about it is the strategy in fighting real life opponents. I don't spam my hotbar keys in order to kill the Alliance...if I did, I'd lose. Purge the Druids, Earth Shock the casters, Bind those hunters and their pets...etc. I can play for brief periods of time and people are actually RPing on these RPPvP servers. Yes, you get ganked...but it is a good time and keeps you on your toes. :)

** is happy he chose to give it another try **

Mr. Laz
12-02-2005, 10:15 AM
I haven't noticed any less nude dancing on my PvE server than I saw on PvP or RP.

Not that I pay much attention when it does happen.How can you grief in this game?

PvE = player vrs Everyone?

PvP = player vrs Player?

RP = ??

grief = ??

is World of Warcraft is more of a online cooperative play or is it primarily a kill or be kill situation?

Wrasse
12-02-2005, 10:33 AM
PvE = player vrs Everyone?

PvP = player vrs Player?

RP = ??

grief = ??

is World of Warcraft is more of a online cooperative play or is it primarily a kill or be kill situation?PvE = Player versus Environment
PvP = Player versus Player
RP = Role Playing (basically you don't talk too much in OOC = Out Of Character)
Greifing = Serveral definitions to this...corpse camping those who have been killed in order to try to kill them once again when they resurrect or killing another player who is a lot lower in level than you. It all depends on who you ask. Basically the concept is someone trying to ruin another person's fun in the game because they get off on it for something usually lacking in their pathetic lives. ;)

WoW is a little of everything. Any server you choose, you'll be playing along-side those on your side (Alliance or Horde) in cooperative play. On PvP servers you have the options to engage the enemy in normal questing zones called contested areas (you'll reach those after level 22 or so)...you are in mostly safe zones up until that point. There are battlegrounds on all of the servers where you are able to match up (within your level bracket) against an even number of the opposing faction in some capture and hold, capture the flag or some other type scenario.

There is a lot more information at the main site: www.worldofwarcraft.com (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com)

Mr. Laz
12-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Greifing = Serveral definitions to this...corpse camping those who have been killed in order to try to kill them once again when they resurrect or killing another player who is a lot lower in level than you. It all depends on who you ask. Basically the concept is someone trying to ruin another person's fun in the game because they get off on it for something usually lacking in their pathetic lives. ;)
... dam PK'ers

gutless,sneaky bastiges the whole lot of 'em! ... :cuss:

thanks for info :)

Saulbadguy
12-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Griefing= res killing, blocking doorways when people have monsters chasing them, "trains"...etc. Fun stuff.

Hydrae
12-02-2005, 03:25 PM
It's going to be a mess trying to gen. chat and trade with people with all the LFG shit going on from all the cities in one place. I don't like the idea, personally. I'm also very excited for the Pally changes, me being a Retnoob and all.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how difficult the chats are going to be now. If it gets too bad, just shut them off.

Ok, I have a situation that has come up and I would be interested in hearing feedback from the rest of you that play the game. I went on a raid into UBRS the other night with my guild. Full 15 man raid with one person who was not a guildie. Now I have everything I am interested in from UBRS (Beaststalker gloves and belt I beleive from there and Finkle's Skinning Knife). The only reason I went was to support the other guild members and help them get what they are looking for.

Anyway, I was the only one there with Finkle's Skinning Knife so I skinned the Beast. For those of you still with me and understanding what I am talking about you know what is coming next. Yes, Pristine Hide of the Beast dropped! Well, the raid leader said that since I was the only one who could have skinned it, it was mine to keep. The non-guildie was very upset (calling me a ninja looter all over IF later). He was booted from the raid (kind of funny, his set piece dropped off Drakk a few minutes later). Anyway, I decided to sell it to help fund my elite mount. Got 750G for it! :) I have since decided to donate 500G to the guild for high end armor to help with our pitiful MC attempts.

So last night we are in UBRS again and I skin the Beast. Only got 1 thick leather this time and one of the other members says it's a good thing, I would probably just sell it anyway. I responded that I might, who knows. I then point out that I donated 500G to the guild. His response was "Is that all?" I was dumbfounded. I had decided on my own to share 2/3 of my profits from the item to the guild and this guy seems to think it was not enough or something!

My question after all of this is, am I in the wrong here somewhere? I will admit it probably should have been rolled on when it dropped. However at the time I was told that it was mine to keep with no rolls. That potential mistake is not mine to take credit for. But was I wrong to sell it? Should I have given all the money to the guild? Or are these other people just jealous little gits?

htismaqe
12-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Griefing= res killing, blocking doorways when people have monsters chasing them, "trains"...etc. Pathetic stuff.

I fixed your post. :p

Mr. Laz
12-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how difficult the chats are going to be now. If it gets too bad, just shut them off.

Ok, I have a situation that has come up and I would be interested in hearing feedback from the rest of you that play the game. I went on a raid into UBRS the other night with my guild. Full 15 man raid with one person who was not a guildie. Now I have everything I am interested in from UBRS (Beaststalker gloves and belt I beleive from there and Finkle's Skinning Knife). The only reason I went was to support the other guild members and help them get what they are looking for.

Anyway, I was the only one there with Finkle's Skinning Knife so I skinned the Beast. For those of you still with me and understanding what I am talking about you know what is coming next. Yes, Pristine Hide of the Beast dropped! Well, the raid leader said that since I was the only one who could have skinned it, it was mine to keep. The non-guildie was very upset (calling me a ninja looter all over IF later). He was booted from the raid (kind of funny, his set piece dropped off Drakk a few minutes later). Anyway, I decided to sell it to help fund my elite mount. Got 750G for it! :) I have since decided to donate 500G to the guild for high end armor to help with our pitiful MC attempts.

So last night we are in UBRS again and I skin the Beast. Only got 1 thick leather this time and one of the other members says it's a good thing, I would probably just sell it anyway. I responded that I might, who knows. I then point out that I donated 500G to the guild. His response was "Is that all?" I was dumbfounded. I had decided on my own to share 2/3 of my profits from the item to the guild and this guy seems to think it was not enough or something!

My question after all of this is, am I in the wrong here somewhere? I will admit it probably should have been rolled on when it dropped. However at the time I was told that it was mine to keep with no rolls. That potential mistake is not mine to take credit for. But was I wrong to sell it? Should I have given all the money to the guild? Or are these other people just jealous little gits?
i don't play WOW but sounds like you play pretty well with others.

also sounds like a CPlanet.com Guild for WOW would be kinda fun. :)

Fruit Ninja
12-02-2005, 05:00 PM
I guess it depends on the server you choose.

I've rerolled several times and quit for 8 months due to the many retards that play (though with so many million subscribers you just can't help but encounter oodles of tards).

I saw a good community on Earthen Ring (RP) but I missed the PvP...I saw a horrible community on Laughing Skull (PvP) and missed the maturity and RP...with the RP-PvP servers, I'm finally enjoying the game. The fiance and I are up into our 30s on Emerald Dream (31 Tauren Shaman / 31 Troll Mage) and since we have 7 other friends of ours playing, it's been a good time.

As far as being easy to level...it's nice when you have a real life to attend to and a business to run and a house to remodel and...well it is a welcome change from the Sony products out there.

The thing I like most about it is the strategy in fighting real life opponents. I don't spam my hotbar keys in order to kill the Alliance...if I did, I'd lose. Purge the Druids, Earth Shock the casters, Bind those hunters and their pets...etc. I can play for brief periods of time and people are actually RPing on these RPPvP servers. Yes, you get ganked...but it is a good time and keeps you on your toes. :)

** is happy he chose to give it another try **I have been playing everquest for years. SO when i played wow, i just found out alot about the game i didnt like. I just didnt find Wow fun for me. I forced myself to 60 becuase of thier, the game doesnt start til your 60, well it sux when your 60, you have NOTHING to do besides raid. once your raiding for your guild is over, there is like nothing left to do. I guess you can PvP in battlegrounds, but the server i was on, Battlegrounds were not popular.

I just grew board with the game. Graphics are still very nice though, thats one thing i can say about it, First time i zoned into Undercity i was impressed. Anyways, account for sale if anyone wants :P hit me up.

alnorth
12-02-2005, 05:06 PM
World of Newbcraft is idiotically, mind-numbingly, easy. Its good for someone who has never played an mmorpg before and just wants something really simple to start with I suppose, but there is no challenge. You can reach max_level in a laughable amount of time, and their quest system holds your hand the whole way through. There is basically no death penalty, so you dont give a rat's ass if you die, which leads to no respect for the environment, and if gaining items is not a challenge, then you dont become attached to what you have. The game is also instanced up to the gills, which is just horrid. Yes, crowded dungeons can occasionally be annoying, but if your a little group of hermits in your own pocket dungeon, there's no real community and you feel like your playing a glorified single-player console game.

I'm kind of a mmorpg refugee at the moment, waiting untill something challenging comes out, maybe Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.

Mr. Laz
12-02-2005, 05:17 PM
World of Newbcraft is idiotically, mind-numbingly, easy. Its good for someone who has never played an mmorpg before and just wants something really simple to start with I suppose, but there is no challenge. You can reach max_level in a laughable amount of time, and their quest system holds your hand the whole way through. There is basically no death penalty, so you dont give a rat's ass if you die, which leads to no respect for the environment, and if gaining items is not a challenge, then you dont become attached to what you have. The game is also instanced up to the gills, which is just horrid. Yes, crowded dungeons can occasionally be annoying, but if your a little group of hermits in your own pocket dungeon, there's no real community and you feel like your playing a glorified single-player console game.

I'm kind of a mmorpg refugee at the moment, waiting untill something challenging comes out, maybe Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.
ouch ...

i really liked Diablo II online ... a MMORPG/adventure game

a little character building ... lots of synergies
finding good items is pretty hard
fighting is almost first person shooter-ish

pker's and hacks are an issue

i wish they would make Diablo III with a bunch of complete new maps and characters.

keg in kc
12-02-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't know that I could disagree more with alnorth, which is I guess why I'm playing and he's a 'refugee'.

alnorth
12-02-2005, 05:43 PM
I don't know that I could disagree more with alnorth, which is I guess why I'm playing and he's a 'refugee'.

Whats your mmorpg history? If WoW was essentially my first mmorpg game and I didnt know any better, I'd probably also wonder what the hell this alnorth fool is talking about.

I played old-school EQ when it came out for 5 long years and built one of the greatest clerics on my server before Sony went too far to cater to the casual players, dumbing the game down untill it was too easy. EQLive was unforgiving, you had to work your ass off for levels and equipment, and if you died, your corpse with everything you owned stayed at the monster's feet, and you respawned naked, losing experience and possibly de-levelling. How do you get your corpse back along with your armor and weapons? Thats your problem, I hope you've got some good friends.

You could not be an antisocial lone wolf and do very well long-term, you had to get to know a lot of people to bail your ass out when you get in trouble, and reliably get groups (soloing was not a viable option for most classes, which is as it should be, if you want to solo, play X-Box)

The guys who originally created that awesome game left Sony in disgust after they were forced to dumb the game down and formed their own company, partnering up with Microsoft to create Vanguard. They have promised that it will be very challenging with a lot of strategy in combat rather than mindless auto-attacks untill the monster falls down. We'll have to see if that pans out or not.

Saulbadguy
12-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Pretty much all MMORPG's cater to the "casual player" now. Thats why I quit. I remember back in the old days of UO (7 years ago), when you left town, you actually feared for your characters life. That fun is gone now, and all that is left is PVM, grinding, and other gay shit.

Fruit Ninja
12-02-2005, 06:20 PM

I will be in vangaurd beta soon, at least i should be. That game looks promising. ANd what you said about WoWorthlessness is all true. I dont mind instancing, long as its fun. I still play everquest and am in a pretty hardcore raiding guild, and i have been having fun for a few years playing it. I just like killing shit with 40 other people, its pretty damn fun and cool. Kinda nerdy, but i dont give a ****, i am having fun.

Pants
12-02-2005, 06:36 PM
LOL, all I know is what my roommate has told me about how nausiating EQ is compared to WoW. He says he wants to puke when he thinks about EQ after having played WoW. He was lvl 45 in EQ when he decided he couldn't take it anymore and quit. According to him, EQ = grindfest 24/7, WoW = fun.

As far as my experience goes, WoW is my first mmorpg and I'm currently a lvl 49 Paladin and in my opinion WoW is probably the best game I've ever played.

Laz, Diablo 2 wasn't/isn't a mmorpg, if you liked that... don't start playing WoW because you won't be able to stop.

alnorth
12-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Pretty much all MMORPG's cater to the "casual player" now. Thats why I quit. I remember back in the old days of UO (7 years ago), when you left town, you actually feared for your characters life. That fun is gone now, and all that is left is PVM, grinding, and other gay shit.

Wow, your older-school than I am. I wasnt paying attention till EQ came out.

alnorth
12-02-2005, 06:49 PM
LOL, all I know is what my roommate has told me about how nausiating EQ is compared to WoW. He says he wants to puke when he thinks about EQ after having played WoW. He was lvl 45 in EQ when he decided he couldn't take it anymore and quit. According to him, EQ = grindfest 24/7, WoW = fun.

As far as my experience goes, WoW is my first mmorpg and I'm currently a lvl 49 Paladin and in my opinion WoW is probably the best game I've ever played.

Laz, Diablo 2 wasn't/isn't a mmorpg, if you liked that... don't start playing WoW because you won't be able to stop.

I am by no means trying to say that EQ was God's gift to online games for everybody. People who wanted to advance a lot faster without the unforgiving sting of death and failure when you F up had been unhappy for quite a while. A lot of other people enjoyed the challenge of a game that kicked your ass if you werent paying attention.

When I tried WoW, I sleep-walked my way to 60 in a few fuggin weeks, the raids were blah, and that was it. Everything is just... too.... easy. Some people are fine with that, but it just isnt for me. In EQ, it took me YEARS (plural) to hit max level and another 2-3 years of building my equipment and server-wide reputation to the point where damned near every one of the thousands on my server knew my character's name. IF you were a worthless player who didnt know how to play, forget about it, you were basically black-listed. EQ punishes incompetence. Or at least it used to, till it was made much easier. In WoW you have to damn near TRY to fail to the point where it becomes noticable, and if that happens, big deal. Just about everyone soloes most of the time anyway.

Fruit Ninja
12-03-2005, 02:40 AM
Old EQ was a huge grind fest. I give it that, when i first started playing at the launch of Velious, it was a BITCH to level. They have made it TONS easier now. Its not bad. If you have friends that play and group with friends alot. EQ is a way better game then WoW is. In eq at least when you do something you have a sense of accomplishment. in WoW i had none of that. Everyone bieng able to solo to 60 is just pure bullshit. Its a MMORPG, most classes shoudl be Forced to group.

Like i said, my wow is up for sale :P

Pants
12-03-2005, 04:08 AM
I can see why Saul wouldn't like the game - there's no way for him to grief the lowbies.

In a shell, I get everything I need in a game from WoW.

- I get the adventure/entertainment/escape from reality - from just running around, exploring and killing mobs.

- I get a sense of achievement from leveling and finding good stuff. IMO, it's in the perfect balance where it's not too easy and too hard and is just about right and thus continues to be fun. I don't think it'd be much fun loosing money and experience everytime I die or getting ganked by a lvl 60 while randomly doing a task that is already hard enough to do. Grinding is also not my idea of fun... in EQ, from what I hear, it's not hard to level, it's just very tedious. Just because something takes an insane amount of time to achieve, doesn't mean it's hard.

- I get the competition that is greatly needed in any multi-player game from fighting Horde at the battlegrounds. Owning a flagged Horde of a higher lvl in the world is also great fun (so is watching that flagged horde being chased by the city gurads and getting owned while I stand around laughing at him). The honor system is great, as are the rewards you reap from it.

- The mini rpg elements within the game are also great, as they always give you something to do when you're tired of doing something. Professions and Honor system are two examples. You can level within a leveling your character.

- I find the world to be great, everything from the economy system to the transportation to the community (with exceptions of course: there are idiots everywhere, WoW isn't any different) is excellent.

Also, to those of you who can sleep walk through the game to 60 - have fun. That means no instances and just A LOT of grinding. If you play this game like EQ, it won't be fun, because the concept in itself isn't fun. Grinding sucks, you shouldn't have to do it, and WoW, achieves this perfectly. I also like the rest system, as it allows people with lives to level at pretty much the same rate as the ones who play the game 24/7.

Wrasse
12-03-2005, 07:59 AM

Ahhh...you are one of those Vanguard followers who equates challenge with time sinks. :) (I'm kidding)

None of these games are very difficult...EQ wasn't...they are all easy. Actually WoW is much more difficult if you play on a PvP server because then you really have to know how to play your character and questing is never that easy because people interfere.

I hear this arguement all the time though...and each person has their own opinions and likes/dislikes so it's all good. It's just that when I'm trying to retrieve a corpse of mine form a dangerous location for an hour, working off some experience debt or trying to get back that level I lost I never think, "Wow, I'm really being challenged here." I think, "Man, I wish I was actually playing this game and not wasting my life."

That's just me though.

Mr. Laz
12-03-2005, 10:59 AM
how would you categorize Diablo 2 then?

Massive
Mulitplayer = check
Online = check
Role
Playing
Game = partially, although there was a little less role playing and little more adventuring and fighting.

not trying to fight/argue ... just curious about how you see the differences.

How does WOW compare to Diablo II ... boy i was addicted to DII :eek:

Man, i would do MF runs and Rush characters for hours and hours ... giving up sleep and all sorts of crap. :shake:

KcMizzou
12-03-2005, 11:35 AM
also sounds like a CPlanet.com Guild for WOW would be kinda fun. :)Cool. Pick Dragonblight. :D

KcMizzou
12-03-2005, 11:42 AM
I have been playing for over a year now. Usually my online entertainment keeps me interested for about 6 months, this is some kind of record for me. I have a 60 hunter (dwarf, not one of the many, many Night Elves), a 44 warrior and a couple of mid 20 toons. I spend entirely too many late nights playing WOW but the wife is fairly understanding. My kids all play a couple hours a week as well (my son is up to 41 with his rogue).
I know the feeling. I bought my copy the day after Thanksgiving a year ago. I now have a 60 priest, and 56 mage... both undead.

The leveling goes much faster on your second character.

Pants
12-03-2005, 10:21 PM
how would you categorize Diablo 2 then?

Massive
Mulitplayer = check
Online = check
Role
Playing
Game = partially, although there was a little less role playing and little more adventuring and fighting.

not trying to fight/argue ... just curious about how you see the differences.

How does WOW compare to Diablo II ... boy i was addicted to DII :eek:

Man, i would do MF runs and Rush characters for hours and hours ... giving up sleep and all sorts of crap. :shake:

D2 isn't massive, it just has a multiplayer component. Massive means thousands of people on one server, with dedicated servers just for that, all you install on your computer is the graphics and sounds, the gameplay goes through the server. There is no single player component. If you were addicted to D2, don't even try WoW, lol, it will take your life and your soul.

Spicy McHaggis
12-03-2005, 11:36 PM
I remember back in the old days of UO (7 years ago), when you left town, you actually feared for your characters life.

Aw, man the PK was rampant in those days. I know exactly what you mean.

I actually just got WoW a few days ago and I've enjoyed it so far. I haven't played a MMORPG since UO either so its a completely different experience for me. It is as a few people have said here, a nice distraction and a fun way to just unwind. And Clerks uncut is on Comedy Central right now. That is all.

Detoxing
12-04-2005, 03:07 AM
I would have to agree with those who say EQ was just a grind fest. My roomate always tells me stories of how much a time sink EQ was. I plyed DAoC before woW, and i love WoW 10x more. Ther eare so many rewards out there in WoW, and many are hard to attain. If some of you are into pointless grinds in order to get server rep and unique items, then why not get rank 14? Or join a guild that can farm MC? those are HUGE timesinks, and most people dont have the gear that you could get from doing either. to say that WoW doesnt have enough content to keep the hardcore fan going is just plain wrong in my opinion. Also, if you're playing on a PvP server, the game is totaly diffrent. You NEED to know how to play your class and have great gear, otherwise you will get owned. Rank 7 Shadow Priest on Archimonde, na di have fun in PvP everyday, and i bore myself to death in the 4 hr MC instance grinds to.

Pants
12-04-2005, 03:13 AM
I would have to agree with those who say EQ was just a grind fest. My roomate always tells me stories of how much a time sink EQ was. I plyed DAoC before woW, and i love WoW 10x more. Ther eare so many rewards out there in WoW, and many are hard to attain. If some of you are into pointless grinds in order to get server rep and unique items, then why not get rank 14? Or join a guild that can farm MC? those are HUGE timesinks, and most people dont have the gear that you could get from doing either. to say that WoW doesnt have enough content to keep the hardcore fan going is just plain wrong in my opinion. Also, if you're playing on a PvP server, the game is totaly diffrent. You NEED to know how to play your class and have great gear, otherwise you will get owned. Rank 7 Shadow Priest on Archimonde, na di have fun in PvP everyday, and i bore myself to death in the 4 hr MC instance grinds to.
Stop melting faces and start healing n00b! JK, what's the 7th rank again? Knight-Lieutenant? Or are you horde?

And like I said before, more time spent playing =/= harder game.

keg in kc
12-04-2005, 07:16 PM
I haven't even started bg's yet. Figure I'll wait until I'm 55. I don't think I'd last long at 51. Level 55 protection-specced warrior noob in PvP. God help me.

Pants
12-05-2005, 02:19 AM
I haven't even started bg's yet. Figure I'll wait until I'm 55. I don't think I'd last long at 51. Level 55 protection-specced warrior noob in PvP. God help me.

A warrior's role is pretty easy, I think. Stun, slow and smash faces.

keg in kc
12-05-2005, 06:01 AM
It's not the role that's a problem, it's the spec. Most pvp guys seem to have the MS 2h axe thing.

Pants
12-05-2005, 06:16 AM
It's not the role that's a problem, it's the spec. Most pvp guys seem to have the MS 2h axe thing.

That's what's nice fighting in the 40's, everybody has pretty much the same equipment. Being 49 = horde getting pwnd, so that's nice too. Also, I'm pretty sure you could have fun in AV just because it's so huge... you're bound to get some HK's and BK's, the only thing is, from what I hear - it's never up.