PDA

View Full Version : Multiple desktops?

Boozer
10-30-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm harly what you would call "leet," but I did install Windows Virtual Desktop Manager. It allows you four desktops. I understand that linux types typically use multiple desktops. What's the benefit of doing this? Is it a personal preference thing? I'm toying around with it a bit, but I'm not that impressed. It may be that I typically use the full-screen options for most of my programs.

What are your experiences with multiple desktops? Any tips, tricks, or hints to make them more efficient? Any experience with Virtual Desktop Manager specifically?

Pants
10-30-2005, 08:43 AM
We talking about multiple monitors? If so, they're usually used by video editors and graphic design people. There is no need for that for us simple folk.

Boozer
10-30-2005, 08:48 AM
We talking about multiple monitors? If so, they're usually used by video editors and graphic design people. There is no need for that for us simple folk.

No, it's a little toolbar thingy that lets you choose between one of four desktops (or all four at once, small and tiled). When you have one desktop selected, the other three are out of sight, in memory.

Pants
10-30-2005, 08:51 AM
No, it's a little toolbar thingy that lets you choose between one of four desktops (or all four at once, small and tiled). When you have one desktop selected, the other three are out of sight, in memory.
What do you mean by "desktop"? Is it all just with one comp and one monitor?

Boozer
10-30-2005, 08:58 AM
What do you mean by "desktop"? Is it all just with one comp and one monitor?

You use this interface...

Boozer
10-30-2005, 08:59 AM
To choose between one of four desktops (shown here in tiled view), where you can have different programs running and different window configurations.

Pants
10-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Oh, ok. So it pretty much lets you minimize your desktop. Pretty cool.

Boozer
10-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Oh, ok. So it pretty much lets you minimize your desktop. Pretty cool.

I guess. I'm certainly not the best person to sing its praises, seeing how I don't know what's so good about it. Me explaining it to you is the most vivid example of "the blind leading the blind" I've seen in a while.

Pants
10-30-2005, 09:13 AM
I guess. I'm certainly not the best person to sing its praises, seeing how I don't know what's so good about it. Me explaining it to you is the most vivid example of "the blind leading the blind" I've seen in a while.

Heh, I'm sure there are plenty of semi-nifty utilities I've never heard of out there. I don't think this is such a big deal. If you don't see a use for it, why use it?

Boozer
10-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Heh, I'm sure there are plenty of semi-nifty utilities I've never heard of out there. I don't think this is such a big deal. If you don't see a use for it, why use it?

I'm trying it out for a week or two to see if I like it. I just wanted to know if I'm missing some really obvious benefit.

KC Jones
10-30-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm trying it out for a week or two to see if I like it. I just wanted to know if I'm missing some really obvious benefit.

You're not missing anything. The basic benefit is that if you use your PC for a lot of different things and use a lot of apps you can have a few desktops to switch between without having a million icons. For instance I have separate linux desktops for:

1) gaming (yeah, there actually is some gaming you can do on Linux)
2) development and sys admin stuff
3) music/video crap
4) bookeeping/office type stuff

It's really not that big of a benefit but I use it.

Boozer
10-30-2005, 10:08 AM
You're not missing anything. The basic benefit is that if you use your PC for a lot of different things and use a lot of apps you can have a few desktops to switch between without having a million icons. For instance I have separate linux desktops for:

1) gaming (yeah, there actually is some gaming you can do on Linux)
2) development and sys admin stuff
3) music/video crap
4) bookeeping/office type stuff

It's really not that big of a benefit but I use it.

Good to know. Like I said, I'm going to test drive it for a week on my computers and see if it's worth the hassle.

joesomebody
11-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Would be great for me at work... I use a kajillion different utilities. Its tough to explain, but my main set up I use is a pain to set up every morning, and then when I have to minimize them and work on something else... well anyway its a pain. But with this multiple desktop, it would work out great.

Too bad I'd have to clear it through my IT guys, and they'd have to push it up and by the time I got an answer Windows XP will be obsolete

Saulbadguy
11-03-2005, 12:58 PM
It would be nice to have here at work. I'd like a desktop for goofing off (75% of my day), and my "work" desktop.