PDA

View Full Version : How bout Theo Epstein as the Royals next GM?

cmh6476
11-01-2005, 03:27 PM
he'd be ok. Maybe he'll take a year off and will be around after Glass fires Baird next season :)

HemiEd
11-01-2005, 03:58 PM
he'd be ok. Maybe he'll take a year off and will be around after Glass fires Baird next season :)

What is the downside? They lose a hundred games?

HolmeZz
11-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Why would he want to? I don't think he wants to GM right now, and even if he did, he could take the job in LA.

tk13
11-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Ehhh, he got to spend more money than 28 other teams.

Plus, he had a World Series winner and then went and completely altered the team... I don't see him as some great GM.

HolmeZz
11-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Ehhh, he got to spend more money than 28 other teams.

Plus, he had a World Series winner and then went and completely altered the team... I don't see him as some great GM.

His best moves were the ones he didn't use big money on:

a) Finding David Ortiz

b) Trading Nomar

c) Rebuilding the farm system

He is a great baseball mind. I don't see any way around that.

Thig Lyfe
11-01-2005, 04:12 PM
why'd he quit at Boston again?

tk13
11-01-2005, 04:14 PM

a) Finding David Ortiz

b) Trading Nomar

His BEST move was getting Curt Schilling. Without him he's just a decent GM who never got over the hurdle that was the Yankees.

Extra Point
11-01-2005, 04:14 PM
No leftovers for Thanksgiving..... again........

HolmeZz
11-01-2005, 04:15 PM
His BEST move was getting Curt Schilling. Without him he's just a decent GM who never got over the hurdle that was the Yankees.

Ortiz won them that series. I don't care how many socks Schilling bloodies up.

Dunit35
11-01-2005, 04:58 PM
There is no way he would come here, he wont be able to spend any money.

cmh6476
11-01-2005, 05:57 PM
we could sell it as his way to prove he is a great baseball mind. At like 31 at that :thumb:

Deberg_1990
11-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Anybodys better than Baird.....we have nowhere to go but up??

alanm
11-01-2005, 06:06 PM

a) Finding David Ortiz

b) Trading Nomar

Great baseball minds don't come to KC. :deevee:

Cochise
11-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Anybodys better than Baird...

knock, knock.

who's there?

Herk Robinson.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2005, 06:24 PM
knock, knock.

who's there?

Herk Robinson.

OK, ya got me...DAMN YOU!!!

Alphaman
11-01-2005, 06:34 PM

That would be awesome!!!! The Royals need a fresh approach.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2005, 06:37 PM

Id prefer Glass fire himself...maybe we can get an owner in KC who gives a Sh$T...

Cochise
11-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Id prefer Glass fire himself...maybe we can get an owner in KC who gives a Sh$T...

We should all pool our resources. I'm in for a hundred bucks, how much you got?

If I get to be GM, beer's free!

Infidel Goat
11-01-2005, 06:55 PM
In all honesty, if I were the owner I'd offer Epstein $2 million per year to be our GM. Sure, that might mean we can only spend $48 M next year rather than projected $50 M.

I can't believe that someone who understands baseball fundamentals wouldn't be able to put together a significantly better team than someone who is clueless--even if he is working with only 96% of the clueless person's payroll.

Teams always overspend on players and underspend on management. In football, I think that the coach is the most important position to fill. In baseball, it's the GM.

--Infidel Goat

HolmeZz
11-01-2005, 07:16 PM
In all honesty, if I were the owner I'd offer Epstein $2 million per year to be our GM.

He turned down more from the Red Sox.

CosmicPal
11-01-2005, 07:21 PM
With the way baseball is now, KC has no chance. Even Houdini wouldn't be able to play magic with this team. And, I'd hate to say it, but even God couldn't touch it.

As long as owners are as greedy as they are in this league- KC has no chance.

tk13
11-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm unconvinced. You can sit here and call me crazy all you want, I'm not convinced Epstein is such a more brilliant mind than Baird. I don't think he is. That doesn't mean Epstein sucks, he did a great job, but it doesn't take a brilliant baseball mind to say "Hey, Curt Schilling! Let's give him money!"

Epstein's obviously an incredibly bright guy, but Baird is not an idiot... he worked his way all the way up through the system. He played college baseball, he coached college baseball, he was a minor league hitting coach, he worked his way up the scouting ladder all the way up to GM. Epstein has never had to do any of that dirty work down in the minors, he came up as a PR and media relations guy, and was handed a GM job at 28. With the importance of developing young talent the Royals must have, I'd rather have Baird.

The big difference though is when it comes time to compliment those young players, Epstein could get guys like Schilling, Pedro, and Manny Ramirez. Baird has to be perfect and hit the jackpot with the likes Benito Santiago and Jose Lima.

Miles
11-01-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm unconvinced. You can sit here and call me crazy all you want, I'm not convinced Epstein is such a more brilliant mind than Baird. I don't think he is. That doesn't mean Epstein sucks, he did a great job, but it doesn't take a brilliant baseball mind to say "Hey, Curt Schilling! Let's give him money!"

Epstein's obviously an incredibly bright guy, but Baird is not an idiot... he worked his way all the way up through the system. He played college baseball, he coached college baseball, he was a minor league hitting coach, he worked his way up the scouting ladder all the way up to GM. Epstein has never had to do any of that dirty work down in the minors, he came up as a PR and media relations guy, and was handed a GM job at 28. With the importance of developing young talent the Royals must have, I'd rather have Baird.

The big difference though is when it comes time to compliment those young players, Epstein could get guys like Schilling, Pedro, and Manny Ramirez. Baird has to be perfect and hit the jackpot with the likes Benito Santiago and Jose Lima.

I tend to agree. Its pretty hard to separate the resources he had from his abilities when trying to determine just how good he might be. One positive it seems is that outside of Manny and Varitek, who were already there, Epstein didnt really bring in big name free agents for their linup.

Though his two most significant pitching acquistions for the 04 season were pretty obvious. Geting the best available pitcher, and one of the best in the game along with the best FA closer in Foulke. I guess there is something to be said about him geting the deals done for those two its pretty obvious that big money came into play.

I also thought he did a pretty good job retooling their pitching staff last season but the injuries to Schilling and Foulke were a pretty significant blow. Leting Pedro go also hurt them quite a bit, but it seemed like it was him time to leave.

HolmeZz
11-01-2005, 08:06 PM
He brought in David Ortiz when Ortiz was a nobody. He also traded Nomar for cheap pieces like Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz. tk's using the fact that he signed Schilling AGAINST him, eventhough it was a move that did pay off. You can't say that about the Yankees and Randy Johnson. Obviously he's got money to work with in Boston, but he made plenty of little moves(like adding Dave Roberts) that helped win Boston a World Series. It's hardly as simple as some would like to make it out to be.

tk13
11-01-2005, 08:18 PM
I didn't say it was simple. And I'd be the first to say free agents aren't the answer to anything. I agree, moves like getting Dave Roberts and Miekicantspellhisname were great moves, great moves. But in KC he'd never get to just plug in guys like Schilling and Manny, who were the Sox' best players... he'd have to develop them. It's a different ballgame, he's never had to work with a true small market team like the Royals, and I'd doubt he'd want to.

Ralphy Boy
11-01-2005, 08:52 PM
I just think the idea of this is hilarious.
Glass: "Hey Mr. Epstein, a year ago you were the prince of New England as head of the best team in baseball. If you wanna really impress people, come take a job in the midwest with the worst team in baseball. Remember how only one or two teams had a higher payroll than you in Boston? Yeah...uh we have something somewhat like that going on here, just the other way around. It's kind of complicated so I'll explain it when you get here. Do they have Southwest Airlines in Boston? Great I'll send you a coupon and my office will reimburse you when you get here...kind of like validated parking."