PDA

View Full Version : Johnson gets the start this week?

Calcountry
11-01-2005, 04:14 PM
With Holmes' bell rung, and LJ proving that he was effective against the Raiders last time, it might be time to let him have a whole game as the featured back this week.

The Raiders seemed to have had more trouble with LJ than they did with Holmes in the first game, and I am willing to bet it will be the same this week.

We love you Priest, but, take the rest of the week off.

As always, I will appreciate your takes on this subject. :D

tk13
11-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Actually Oakland's probably been one of the best teams at stopping LJ. Priest had a better game in that first meeting, and during the Xmas day game last year they LJ had a alright game but nothing real spectacular. Might have something to do with the fact LJ likes to run between the tackles and that's where Ted Washington sits.

jspchief
11-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Actually Oakland's probably been one of the best teams at stopping LJ. Priest had a better game in that first meeting, and during the Xmas day game last year they LJ had a alright game but nothing real spectacular. Might have something to do with the fact LJ likes to run between the tackles and that's where Ted Washington sits.Agree.

Late in the game, when we needed to burn clock, LJ was getting knocked on his ass in the backfield. Holmes was racking up 5+ yards per carry.

This is not the team that LJ succeeds against. Oakland has converted DEs for OLBs. That means they aren't going to be as fast to the edges as Holmes and Co.

Mr. Laz
11-01-2005, 04:23 PM
oakland is running with 2 defensive tackles (one is ted washington) and 4 defensive ends on the field.

power is pretty much what their defense is build for.

Calcountry
11-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Funny, I thought I saw a better game out of LJ than you guys paint. I guess that just proves how truly stupid I am. Thanks for the input guys. :D

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Funny, I thought I saw a better game out of LJ than you guys paint. I guess that just proves how truly stupid I am. Thanks for the input guys. :D
I'm stupid too. I've only seen LJ lose yardage once when nobody blocked Ted Washington. Priest, on the other hand, gets decked in the backfield quite often.

joesomebody
11-01-2005, 06:23 PM
If Holmes is injured, by all means let him play second fiddle this game... however if Priest is happy and wants the start, Priest gets the start.

Granted LJ has only fumbled twice this season, I still don't feel comfortable with him running anywhere but mid-field.

Claynus
11-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Priest didn't do much in that first game. He had two longish runs that made his stats look good. LJ was alot more consistent and should have gotten the ball more.

Last year LJ ripped the Raiders in Oakland, not so much in KC.

tk13
11-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Priest didn't do much in that first game. He had two longish runs that made his stats look good. LJ was alot more consistent and should have gotten the ball more.

Last year LJ ripped the Raiders in Oakland, not so much in KC.
You have to remember that first Oakland game last year was LJ's first real game though too, nobody really had film on him up to that point.

Claynus
11-01-2005, 08:09 PM
You have to remember that first Oakland game last year was LJ's first real game though too, nobody really had film on him up to that point.

That's true, but it doesn't really seem to have done much for teams trying to stop him.

If you noticed, Trent Green flipped the ball to LJ for a short gain on Sunday and LJ turned it into a 17-yard gain. He made an almost identical play in Oakland last year.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 08:13 PM
That's true, but it doesn't really seem to have done much for teams trying to stop him.

If you noticed, Trent Green flipped the ball to LJ for a short gain on Sunday and LJ turned it into a 17-yard gain. He made an almost identical play in Oakland last year.
What are LJ and Priests YPC average this year?

jspchief
11-01-2005, 08:14 PM

Last year LJ ripped the Raiders in Oakland, not so much in KC.LJ wasn't any more consistent. 7 of his 10 carries totaled 7 yards. At one point, he had a stretch of 5 carries for 5 yards. And if "longish runs" don't count for Holmes, do they count for Johnson?

Neither running back was particularly good. LJ was better in the first half, Holmes better in the second half.

Claynus
11-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Johnson's longest run was 11 yards. Priest got half his yards on two carries.

Claynus
11-01-2005, 08:19 PM
What are LJ and Priests YPC average this year?

Boy you said it. LJ's a full yard and a half better.

kcfanXIII
11-01-2005, 08:21 PM
if holmes' injury was not serious priest gets the start. but either way they need to play whoever is effective. they get stuck on the 2-1 series rotation, if johnson is having the better day, sit priest. or vice versa. only a fraction of the coaching blunders this season though.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Boy you said it. LJ's a full yard and a half better.
Do you have the numbers?

tk13
11-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Johnson's longest run was 11 yards. Priest got half his yards on two carries.
That's not fair either... how many games has LJ gotten most of his yards on one or two carries? That's why people love him, he's a breakaway threat. That's the one thing that's been kinda disappointing about this rotation, I think it's made Priest try to be more like LJ and break off long runs. That's never been his thing, I liked Priest because he wouldn't have LJ's ypc, but he'd be better at those 7-10 yard runs and moving the chains.

jspchief
11-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Johnson's longest run was 11 yards. Priest got half his yards on two carries.Uhh, so did LJ. What's your point?

Tell me this, late in the game, when KC was trying to use up clock, who got first downs, and who got stuffed?

Holmes:
1.3 ypc in the first half
6.3 ypc in the second half

Johnson:
5.6 ypc in the first half
1 ypc in the second half

Like I said, LJ was better in the 1st half, Holmes was better in the 2nd half.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 08:27 PM
That's not fair either... how many games has LJ gotten most of his yards on one or two carries? That's why people love him, he's a breakaway threat. That's the one thing that's been kinda disappointing about this rotation, I think it's made Priest try to be more like LJ and break off long runs. That's never been his thing, I liked Priest because he wouldn't have LJ's ypc, but he'd be better at those 7-10 yard runs and moving the chains.
Your right. LJ isn't given a chance to get into a rythm. Check his YPC last year when he was getting the work.

Claynus
11-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Uhh, so did LJ. What's your point?

Tell me this, late in the game, when KC was trying to use up clock, who got first downs, and who got stuffed?

Holmes:
1.3 ypc in the first half
6.3 ypc in the second half

Johnson:
5.6 ypc in the first half
1 ypc in the second half

Like I said, LJ was better in the 1st half, Holmes was better in the 2nd half.

Larry only got THREE CARRIES in the second half!

Claynus
11-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Do you have the numbers?

Yes. 5.3 vs 3.8. LJ is also averaging 11.2 yards per catch vs 9.4 for Priest.

It's no coincidence that our offense played it's best football of the season after Priest's injury last year.

We need more LJ.

tk13
11-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Your right. LJ isn't given a chance to get into a rythm. Check his YPC last year when he was getting the work.
Off the top of my head, he avg 4.8 ypc last year. Priest avg 4.6 ypc. And LJ broke up a bunch more long runs than Priest. Priest hasn't allowed to get into any rhythm either, that excuse doesn't fly with me.

jspchief
11-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Larry only got THREE CARRIES in the second half!Actually, it was 4 carries. And he "only" got 5 carries in the first half, and that was sufficient for him to be the best RB evah!

tk13
11-01-2005, 08:34 PM

It's no coincidence that our offense played it's best football of the season after Priest's injury last year.

We need more LJ.
It's also no coincidence that was the weakest part of our schedule. We played the last place Raiders twice, a fading Denver team, and Tennessee when they were plagued with injuries.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2005, 08:35 PM
I have faith that Johnson will become a great running back for us. As much as i love Priest, I think its time for LJ to get the bulk of the carries. He usually only gets 7-10 carries a game and almost always seems to break a long one at one time or another. Can you imagine what this guy might do if he had 20-30 carries in a game and time to wear on a defense??? I realize he may not be as good around the goaline that Priest is, but honestly how many backs are?? I think we have been spoiled by Priest's nose for the goaline too much these past few years. If LJ scores 10-12 rushing TD's with 1500 yards rushing that would be fine by me.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Even if their YPC were even, which they're not, I'd be giving LJ the ball because he is a threat to break it every time he touches the ball. Priest is not. Priest hasn't been able to finish the season two of the last three years. If we had been in the hunt what would we have done? We can't depend on Priest at his age, give it to LJ.

Claynus
LJ HOMERS UNITE! BRING DOWN THE PRIEST HOLMES ESTABLISHMENT!

Claynus
It's also no coincidence that was the weakest part of our schedule. We played the last place Raiders twice, a fading Denver team, and Tennessee when they were plagued with injuries.

And the Denver Broncos.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2005, 08:38 PM

Im not ready to abandon Priest.....I think we should do what St Louis did with Jackson and Faulk......Priest is still extremely valuble and still a threat.

tk13
11-01-2005, 08:39 PM
And the Denver Broncos.
Hence a "fading Denver team"...

Logical
11-01-2005, 08:40 PM
We love you Priest, but, take the rest of the week off. I doubt it, but would not mind it if that were to occur.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Off the top of my head, he avg 4.8 ypc last year. Priest avg 4.6 ypc. And LJ broke up a bunch more long runs than Priest. Priest hasn't allowed to get into any rhythm either, that excuse doesn't fly with me.
I don't need any excuses, LJ tops Priest at everything. And Priest certainly isn't getting any better. LJ probably is but even if he isn't he's still beating Priest. And I've always thought 3.8 YPC was pretty damn close to being out of the league.

Claynus
11-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I don't need any excuses, LJ tops Priest at everything. And Priest certainly isn't getting any better. LJ probably is but even if he isn't he's still beating Priest. And I've always thought 3.8 YPC was pretty damn close to being out of the league.

I'm willing to give Priest a bit of a pass on the YPC right now. It's being skewed horribly by the Redskins game.

I still prefer LJ out there. Although I do prefer Priest inside the 20.

tk13
11-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Even if their YPC were even, which they're not, I'd be giving LJ the ball because he is a threat to break it every time he touches the ball. Priest is not. Priest hasn't been able to finish the season two of the last three years. If we had been in the hunt what would we have done? We can't depend on Priest at his age, give it to LJ.
5 longest plays from scrimmage by Chiefs RB's this year:

Priest Holmes - 60 yd rec vs. WSH
Larry Johnson - 46 yd run vs. SD
Priest Holmes - 35 yd run vs. MIA
Priest Holmes - 35 yd run vs. NYJ
Larry Johnson - 35 yd run vs. NYJ

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I don't want to bring down Priest I just want the better RB on the field and we're not getting it. LJ is making a damn fool out of VD. And that is why he barely lets him play. The more LJ shines, the dumber VD is for squelching him for a year and a half. Give LJ a chance. What have we got to lose? Priest can't handle the whole load anyhow. He keeps getting hurt. He's getting old.

Logical
11-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I don't need any excuses, LJ tops Priest at everything. And Priest certainly isn't getting any better. LJ probably is but even if he isn't he's still beating Priest. And I've always thought 3.8 YPC was pretty damn close to being out of the league.I doubt if Eddie George averaged more than 3.8 yards for more than a couple of seasons during his entire career. I know he did not have a career average over 3.6 yards

4th and Long
11-01-2005, 08:48 PM

Skip?

Claynus
I doubt if Eddie George average more than 3.8 yards for more than a couple of seasons during his entire career. I know he did not have a career average over 3.6 yards

I'm not sure what your point is. Priest used to average 5.0 ypc.

Claynus

That just makes LJ even more impressive.

Logical
11-01-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure what your point is. Priest used to average 5.0 ypc.My point was that I did not agree with this part of Skip's post.

And I've always thought 3.8 YPC was pretty damn close to being out of the league.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 08:51 PM

And that is misleading unless you figure in the amount of touches.

jspchief
11-01-2005, 08:51 PM
That just makes LJ even more impressive.How so?

jspchief
11-01-2005, 08:53 PM
And that is misleading unless you figure in the amount of touches.It's 1 long run every 34.5 touches for LJ.
1 long run every 39.5 touches for Priest.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't know where the sites are and am too lazy to do it anyhow. But I've always thought it took 3.8 YPC to keep you in the league. What are the lowest YPC in the league?

tk13
11-01-2005, 08:54 PM
And that is misleading unless you figure in the amount of touches.
140 to 81... about 60/40... and Priest has 60 percent of those plays. Just about right, certainly not enough to say one is clearly better than the other.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 08:55 PM
It's 1 long run every 34.5 touches for LJ.
1 long run every 39.5 touches for Priest.
What I meant was, LJ has two of the three longest runs on far less carries.

tk13
11-01-2005, 08:58 PM
And since the bye... Priest has 55 touches, LJ has 47.

Claynus
11-01-2005, 08:59 PM
How so?

His average is still healthy. Priest has the same number of long runs, yet his average is below 4.

jspchief
11-01-2005, 09:00 PM
What I meant was, LJ has two of the three longest runs on far less carries.It doesn't matter. They are about equally as capable of breaking a long run. LJ averages a long run per 34.5, Holmes averages a long run per 39.5.

In other words, Holmes can do in 85 carries what LJ does in 75.

Want to compare frequency of fumbles lost?

Claynus
11-01-2005, 09:04 PM
This is really dumb. 3.8 ypc vs 5.3 ypc. End of story.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 09:05 PM
What you guys are seeing here is the decline of a very good running back. I've watched it happen many times in my 60 years. I got to watch Unitas go to shit and still not admit it. If I were a coach and saw my backup out performing my starter by half again, I would give the backup more carries if for nothing else than to bring his numbers down. If they don't come down, he stays. If they decline, then I was right all along. I'm done talking about it, the numbers are there. We'll just have to hide and watch.

Claynus
11-01-2005, 09:08 PM
What you guys are seeing here is the decline of a very good running back.

Yep. It's sad.

I don't know who it was that said it (on here or on the radio during the game), but back in 2001, Lenny Dawson used to say Priest was just stronger than the people that were trying to tackle him. That's certainly not true anymore.

jspchief
11-01-2005, 09:09 PM
I didn't see any of you guys demanding the start of LJ after the Denver game.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2005, 09:11 PM
What you guys are seeing here is the decline of a very good running back. I've watched it happen many times in my 60 years. I got to watch Unitas go to shit and still not admit it. If I were a coach and saw my backup out performing my starter by half again, I would give the backup more carries if for nothing else than to bring his numbers down. If they don't come down, he stays. If they decline, then I was right all along. I'm done talking about it, the numbers are there. We'll just have to hide and watch.

Priest is still good and can still contribute in a big way. I just think LJ should be starting because hes younger and has a healthier body. Id love to see LJ get the bulk of the work and then give Priest the bulk of the carries around the goaline.

jspchief
11-01-2005, 09:12 PM
If I were a coach and saw my backup out performing my starter by half again, I would give the backup more carries if for nothing else than to bring his numbers down. If they don't come down, he stays. If they decline, then I was right all along. I'm done talking about it, the numbers are there. We'll just have to hide and watch.The two games where LJ has had more than 10 carries this year, his numbers have come down to about 4 ypc.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 09:12 PM
This is really dumb. 3.8 ypc vs 5.3 ypc. End of story.
Exactly right. They don't want to understand they're rooting for a sinking ship. I'm done. Have fun guys.

JBucc
11-01-2005, 09:13 PM
If the line plays like last week it won't matter who's back there

tk13
11-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Yep. It's sad.

I don't know who it was that said it (on here or on the radio during the game), but back in 2001, Lenny Dawson used to say Priest was just stronger than the people that were trying to tackle him. That's certainly not true anymore.
You don't think so? What about that first TD he had against the Jets? Or that long run in the Miami game where he got stopped up and burst through past everybody for the score. Or the Washington game on the long TD where he slipped a person or two and ran clear across the field.

Claynus
11-01-2005, 09:17 PM
You don't think so? What about that first TD he had against the Jets? Or that long run in the Miami game where he got stopped up and burst through past everybody for the score. Or the Washington game on the long TD where he slipped a person or two and ran clear across the field.

On the first TD against the Jets, he didn't even score.

The Miami and Washington runs were all about moves, not breaking tackles.

stevieray
11-01-2005, 09:21 PM
We're back to pimping larry and dumping priest again after seven games?

ROFL

jidar
11-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Hate to say it, but I'm ready to see what LJ can do.
I'd rather be one of those smart teams that make shrewd moves even if they hurt feelings than one of the many teams who rides it out too long due to sentimentality.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 09:22 PM
If the line plays like last week it won't matter who's back there
Really? LJ broke off a 46 yarder behind that line.

Claynus
11-01-2005, 09:25 PM
It looks to me like the Chiefs need to change this rotation.

LJ is killing people in the 2nd quarter. He has 27 carries for 175 yards in the 2nd quarter this year.

Priest has 22 carries for 63 yards.

Priest does much better in the 1st and 3rd quarters. For whatever reason, they both are averaging under 3.0 ypc in the 4th quarter.

I think the Chiefs should let Priest get the majority of the carries in the 1st and 3rd quarters, coming out only for breathers.

LJ should get the entire 2nd quarter.

I'm not sure what to do about the 4th quarter.

JBucc
11-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Really? LJ broke off a 46 yarder behind that line.I meant consistentsy and not just in the running game

Halfcan
11-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Raiders are doomed!!

stevieray
11-01-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure what to do about the 4th quarter.

ROFL

jAZ
11-01-2005, 09:29 PM
So is Priest really that banged up, or is this idle chatter from some disheartened fans?

JBucc
11-01-2005, 09:30 PM
So is Priest really that banged up, or is this idle chatter from some disheartened fans?Lil' of both probably. I really don't care who starts as long as we have both of them when we need them

Claynus
11-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Here's another interesting observation.

Priest is averaging 3.5 yards per carry out of the I-Formation this year.

Larry is averaging just 2.8.

Meanwhile, Larry's average out of the lone setback formation is a full 2.8 yards per carry better.

tk13
11-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I'd also point out, as I said early in the season, the law of diminishing returns with LJ. The best way to keep LJ putting up these sick numbers is the same way the Broncos are making Tatum Bell look like a legend... use him like a turbo boost at certain times.

If you look at LJ, and this is why I say this. LJ averages 6.5 yards/carry in his first 5 carries. Awesome number. After you get past 5 carries, LJ averages just a little more than 4 yds/carry. The same held pretty much true last year even when he was a starter... his ypc generally went down the farther you went in the game.

Priest though, gets better as the game goes on. This year he's put up his best numbers in carries 15-20ish. He's averaging 4.6 ypc in that span... which is better than he does at any other time. Last year was the same way. Priest averaged over 6 ypc from 20-25 carries. Priest's best numbers come late, LJ's best numbers often come early... you split them up 60/40 and you're maximizing the ability of two all-world backs. I'm not backing off that opinion.

JBucc
11-01-2005, 09:34 PM
I'd also point out, as I said early in the season, the law of diminishing returns with LJ. The best way to keep LJ putting up these sick numbers is the same way the Broncos are making Tatum Bell look like a legend... use him like a turbo boost at certain times.

If you look at LJ, and this is why I say this. LJ averages 6.5 yards/carry in his first 5 carries. Awesome number. After you get past 5 carries, LJ averages just a little more than 4 yds/carry. The same held pretty much true last year even when he was a starter... his ypc generally went down the farther you went in the game.

Priest though, gets better as the game goes on. This year he's put up his best numbers in carries 15-20ish. He's averaging 4.6 ypc in that span... which is better than he does at any other time. Last year was the same way. Priest averaged over 6 ypc from 20-25 carries. Priest's best numbers come late, LJ's best numbers often come early... you split them up 60/40 and you're maximizing the ability of two all-world backs. I'm not backing off that opinion.So what your saying is if we switch them around we might end up with less production overall?

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Hate to say it, but I'm ready to see what LJ can do.
I'd rather be one of those smart teams that make shrewd moves even if they hurt feelings than one of the many teams who rides it out too long due to sentimentality.
Damn, n00b, that was good. How would you like to have been the guy to tell Joe Montana he was no longer the starter? SF knew he had gas left in the tank but Young was ready. And we are risking losing LJ by further stifling his career. He's not a real nice guy and may not have many friends on this team. No real reason to stay in KC. He can start for almost anyone else and he know it. He may tell us to go f*ck ourselves at contract time to spite us. While Priest is saying goodbye. It doesn't take much intellect to figure this one out.

tk13
11-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Damn, n00b, that was good. How would you like to have been the guy to tell Joe Montana he was no longer the starter? SF knew he had gas left in the tank but Young was ready. And we are risking losing LJ by further stifling his career. He's not a real nice guy and may not have many friends on this team. No real reason to stay in KC. He can start for almost anyone else and he know it. He may tell us to go f*ck ourselves at contract time to spite us. While Priest is saying goodbye. It doesn't take much intellect to figure this one out.
That's why they invented the franchise tag. We're extending his career by doing this, I don't care how much he whines. We could let him run loose for 2000 yards and ruin him like Jamal Lewis or Terrell Davis though, I guess.

tk13
11-01-2005, 09:42 PM
So what your saying is if we switch them around we might end up with less production overall?
I don't know. I think the numbers would lend itself to that, but numbers don't always mean everything. For one, I don't think Priest is 2001 Priest Holmes, but he's not washed up, and I want to keep LJ healthy. Plus with the weapons we have, I just think I'd rather have my breakaway threat get less carries and not wear him out, and have my medium range-burst back get more carries and keep the chains moving.

Logical
11-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Yep. It's sad.

I don't know who it was that said it (on here or on the radio during the game), but back in 2001, Lenny Dawson used to say Priest was just stronger than the people that were trying to tackle him. That's certainly not true anymore.In any case the line is not the quality it was in either 2001, 2 or 3 so comparing Priest past numbers to his present number to me seems unreconcilable. Comparing Priest's numbers to LJs is relavant but distorted by the very fact he has so many more carries behind this line which is fading far faster than Priest. Finally while LJ is certainly improving at his pass blocking he is far inferior to Priest in that regard. I think LJ probably does deserve the start this week if Priest post bell ringing recovery is not complete. To say he deserves the full time starting job is probably premature. I expect him to have it next year though.

Claynus
11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm not advocating that LJ gets 25 carries while Priest gets 10. I think we might be better served by starting LJ instead of Priest though. We need a spark at the beginning of games.

stevieray
11-01-2005, 09:46 PM
I expect him to have it next year though.

Exactly. DV told him to be patient, that being the starter was coming.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 09:50 PM
This "specific situation" analysis is getting pretty ridiculous. I don't care who did what under a full moon or who did what in which quarter. Microanalysis to the point of ridiculosity(term coined by Sidewinder). Do any of you see any team adjusting RB's because of who they are playing or what quarter it is? Hey, look, Horn always catches a 24 yard pass at 4:47 in the afternoon. Mark that down. Doesn't happen. YPC tells the story. It accounts for touches. The guy with the highest YPC should play until it drops. If it doesn't he stays. If it does, we were right all along. Oop, I'm repeating myself, goodnight.

milkman
11-01-2005, 10:22 PM
This "specific situation" analysis is getting pretty ridiculous. I don't care who did what under a full moon or who did what in which quarter. Microanalysis to the point of ridiculosity(term coined by Sidewinder). Do any of you see any team adjusting RB's because of who they are playing or what quarter it is? Hey, look, Horn always catches a 24 yard pass at 4:47 in the afternoon. Mark that down. Doesn't happen. YPC tells the story. It accounts for touches. The guy with the highest YPC should play until it drops. If it doesn't he stays. If it does, we were right all along. Oop, I'm repeating myself, goodnight.

I'd actually like to take credit for that, but years ago in the Navy, working with EOD on mine ops, a coworker was bitching about the show we were watching on TV (Soap), and I told him he just didn't appreciate the show's ridiculousnous.

The EOD commander told me the word was "ridiculosity".

Although I never found it in a dictionary, I liked the word, so decided to use it.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 11:05 PM
I'd actually like to take credit for that, but years ago in the Navy, working with EOD on mine ops, a coworker was bitching about the show we were watching on TV (Soap), and I told him he just didn't appreciate the show's ridiculousnous.

The EOD commander told me the word was "ridiculosity".

Although I never found it in a dictionary, I liked the word, so decided to use it.
I kind of liked it myself. I'll see that Titus enters it into the lexicon. I also like dumbassery and douchebaggery.

Rausch
11-01-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm willing to give Priest a bit of a pass on the YPC right now. It's being skewed horribly by the Redskins game.

I still prefer LJ out there. Although I do prefer Priest inside the 20.

Exactly. Priest is our new Marcus Allen.

Great in short yardage and red zone.

Use LJ up and down the field and to ice a win in the 4th.

greg63
11-01-2005, 11:18 PM
I expect to see them key in on the RB regardless of who it is this time around. JMO, but as stated before: I'm pretty much clueless.

milkman
11-01-2005, 11:21 PM
I expect to see them key in on the RB regardless of who it is this time around. JMO, but as stated before: I'm pretty much clueless.

We already knew that. :)

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 11:22 PM

For years I thought John Riggins was the best short yardage runner I'd ever seen. He started for KU for four years and was never thrown for a loss. Then we got Marcus Allen. Not particularly big or powerful but was slippery for lack of a better word. Marcus is the best I've ever seen at short yardage. Priest is good though. He needs to teach LJ how to vault over the line like he does. BTW, why didn't we have Priest vault over the line Sunday on that 3rd and goal from the 2? Some guys were saying he could go back in.

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 11:26 PM

LJ is a good sledge hammer too. Just beat them into submission with him then bring in Priest to finish them off.

Rausch
11-01-2005, 11:26 PM
BTW, why didn't we have Priest vault over the line Sunday on that 3rd and goal from the 2? Some guys were saying he could go back in.

I know you're not aksing me to answer for our idiotic play calling...

Skip Towne
11-01-2005, 11:36 PM
I know you're not aksing me to answer for our idiotic play calling...
No brother, I wouldn't aks you that. Heh Just that the die hard Priest guys were saying he could have gone back in but he didn't when we needed his specialty. We really need to pamper and protect Priest. They said he "got his bell rung" Sunday. When was the last time you saw Priest "get his bell rung?"? That's a first time for me. The dude is getting old. He hasn't been able to finish two of the last three years.

kcfanXIII
11-01-2005, 11:57 PM

We need more LJ.

preist is still our number one back. he brings a intangible qualities, like leadership, work ethic, and team first mentality.

if priest was thinking of retiring what would make him come back? commitment to the team. put that in your pipe and smoke it ricky!!! but johnson seems to me to be an immature back, he may be getting there, but priest si still hands down the deserving starter for this team.

greg63
11-02-2005, 12:04 AM
For years I thought John Riggins was the best short yardage runner I'd ever seen. He started for KU for four years and was never thrown for a loss. Then we got Marcus Allen. Not particularly big or powerful but was slippery for lack of a better word. Marcus is the best I've ever seen at short yardage. Priest is good though. He needs to teach LJ how to vault over the line like he does. BTW, why didn't we have Priest vault over the line Sunday on that 3rd and goal from the 2? Some guys were saying he could go back in.

YUP! :D

Rausch
11-02-2005, 12:07 AM
No brother, I wouldn't aks you that. Heh Just that the die hard Priest guys were saying he could have gone back in but he didn't when we needed his specialty. We really need to pamper and protect Priest. They said he "got his bell rung" Sunday. When was the last time you saw Priest "get his bell rung?"? That's a first time for me. The dude is getting old. He hasn't been able to finish two of the last three years.

Hey, I'm as appreciative of everything Priest's done. I love the guy. He and Shields are the main reasons I'd love to see us get a super bowl win.

But he's dangerously close to Marcus Allen territory.

LJ should be getting the 2 series to Priests 1...

greg63
11-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Did Priest sustain a concussion??? If so, from what I understand, once you have sustained a concussion you then become more susceptible to them.

alanm
11-02-2005, 12:48 AM
On the first TD against the Jets, he didn't even score.

The Miami and Washington runs were all about moves, not breaking tackles.
Uhhh. That's what a smart experienced back does. :rolleyes:

alanm
11-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Here's another interesting observation.

Priest is averaging 3.5 yards per carry out of the I-Formation this year.

Larry is averaging just 2.8.

Meanwhile, Larry's average out of the lone setback formation is a full 2.8 yards per carry better.
Did you ever stop to consider that when they are in the one back formation they have a tendency to throw the screen to Priest?

Claynus
11-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Uhhh. That's what a smart experienced back does. :rolleyes:

You missed the point. Priest is not the back he once was. He's no longer "stronger than the people trying to tackle him."

Claynus
11-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Did you ever stop to consider that when they are in the one back formation they have a tendency to throw the screen to Priest?

A screen is a pass play, therefore it does not enter into this equation.

Mecca
11-02-2005, 01:00 AM
preist is still our number one back. he brings a intangible qualities, like leadership, work ethic, and team first mentality.

if priest was thinking of retiring what would make him come back? commitment to the team. put that in your pipe and smoke it ricky!!! but johnson seems to me to be an immature back, he may be getting there, but priest si still hands down the deserving starter for this team.

This should be Holmes last year with the Chiefs........It's really not a matter of "whos deserving" anymore for past accomplishments. It's about who's better so the team can win games.

I'm in the Larry Johnson should get more carries than Holmes crowd.

alanm
11-02-2005, 01:27 AM
You missed the point. Priest is not the back he once was. He's no longer "stronger than the people trying to tackle him."
And people said he's lost his second level burst. But he ran right by and pulled away from Miami's secondary on his long TD. In fact it looked like he was still picking up speed by the time he hit the goal line.

alanm
11-02-2005, 01:31 AM
A screen is a pass play, therefore it does not enter into this equation.
Excuse me I tend to brainfart at this time at night. Burned out from sitting in class all evening. :banghead: :)

Claynus
11-02-2005, 01:56 AM
And people said he's lost his second level burst. But he ran right by and pulled away from Miami's secondary on his long TD. In fact it looked like he was still picking up speed by the time he hit the goal line.

I don't care.

tk13
11-02-2005, 02:01 AM
I don't care.
Well, there's your problem.

Claynus
11-02-2005, 02:07 AM
Well, there's your problem.

Is this some kind of joke? I'm not interested in discussing Priest's speed.

OzArK KrAzO
11-02-2005, 05:58 AM
Personally id like to see L.J in the starting position in a tough matchup.He has always said he can be the man.Looks like mabey he gets his chance to and there is alot riding on the next few games.Time to do tha thing or be a back up!Im all for whoever can get the chiefs fired up and start winning consistantly.

Calcountry
11-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Even if their YPC were even, which they're not, I'd be giving LJ the ball because he is a threat to break it every time he touches the ball. Priest is not. Priest hasn't been able to finish the season two of the last three years. If we had been in the hunt what would we have done? We can't depend on Priest at his age, give it to LJ.Its time to have a sit down with Priest and say something of the order of look, for the good of the team, we need to give this kid some reps. Its his shot. We still need you fresh in the Red zone backing him up. You smell that endzone better than any back arround, and are still a vital component of this offense. Even more so if you come in fresh after LJ has worked them over between the tackles.

That would be my plan. Sink or swim, Its LJ getting the 2, Priest getting the one, and the one ususally in the Red Zone, short yardage unless Larry is just plain getting off on a drive.

Calcountry
11-03-2005, 04:48 PM
What you guys are seeing here is the decline of a very good running back. I've watched it happen many times in my 60 years. I got to watch Unitas go to shit and still not admit it. If I were a coach and saw my backup out performing my starter by half again, I would give the backup more carries if for nothing else than to bring his numbers down. If they don't come down, he stays. If they decline, then I was right all along. I'm done talking about it, the numbers are there. We'll just have to hide and watch.I think we are witnessing the decline of a good coach as well.

Calcountry
11-03-2005, 04:59 PM
No brother, I wouldn't aks you that. Heh Just that the die hard Priest guys were saying he could have gone back in but he didn't when we needed his specialty. We really need to pamper and protect Priest. They said he "got his bell rung" Sunday. When was the last time you saw Priest "get his bell rung?"? That's a first time for me. The dude is getting old. He hasn't been able to finish two of the last three years.When he ripped off that screen run, they caught a shot of him with his Child after the play, and you could just sense it, am I going to be able to do this much longer, was screaming out of the look on his face after he gave his kid the hug.