PDA

View Full Version : Let go hurry-up from the start...

dtebbe
11-02-2005, 08:35 AM
A couple times this year and last we've gone to the hurry-up and teams just can't seem to stop us. I don't understand why Al Saunders and the O coaches don't script out the first 30 or so plays in the game, and then run them hurry-up so the D has a hard time figuring out what's going on. I forgot who the team was that did it, but there was a team in the late 90's who would script out thier first 30 or so plays and run the hurry up from the start. I remember they were almost always playing with a lead come halftime.

SanDiego's defense was pretty impressive Sunday, until we went hurry-up, at that point they were struggling a bit. Seems like that happens every time we use it, why not use it more?

Also, I think Trent has earned the right to call/change plays at the line. For him to be the level-headed vet he is and not be able to make/change calls is crazy.

DT

Extra Point
11-02-2005, 08:38 AM
You are dead right!

angel
11-02-2005, 08:49 AM
I've thought that myself

I figured there had to be a good reason not to do it, but I can't think of any

does it make the players too tired?

Saulbadguy
11-02-2005, 08:51 AM
"Until we went hurry up..."

It was also partly because they softened up on defense, and went Marty.

Really, what a terrible idea.

Inspector
11-02-2005, 08:55 AM
I've given up trying to figure most of the play calling.

I guess I'm not smart enough to get it, cause about half the time, I don't get it.

Troy1220
11-02-2005, 08:57 AM
I would agree on the hurry-up tactic. At least get more creative in the play calling...especially early. Why did we become so vanilla and conservative?

Psyko Tek
11-02-2005, 09:00 AM
No, if we do that it takes AL out of the game and......

wait, that's maybe just crazy enough it just might work

but we gotta have our reverse

milkman
11-02-2005, 09:03 AM
A couple times this year and last we've gone to the hurry-up and teams just can't seem to stop us. I don't understand why Al Saunders and the O coaches don't script out the first 30 or so plays in the game, and then run them hurry-up so the D has a hard time figuring out what's going on. I forgot who the team was that did it, but there was a team in the late 90's who would script out thier first 30 or so plays and run the hurry up from the start. I remember they were almost always playing with a lead come halftime.

SanDiego's defense was pretty impressive Sunday, until we went hurry-up, at that point they were struggling a bit. Seems like that happens every time we use it, why not use it more?

Also, I think Trent has earned the right to call/change plays at the line. For him to be the level-headed vet he is and not be able to make/change calls is crazy.

DT

I think you might thinking of the Bills.
Hurry up, in that case, is a misnomer.

No Huddle would be the more correct term.

They did script plays, but for the most part, Jim Kelly called the plays at the line, but they were really in no hurry.

They tried to create mismatches by going No Huddle to limit the defense's ability to make situational substitutions.

The Colts are doing some of that now.