PDA

View Full Version : Green or Saunders calling plays ?

ROYC75
11-02-2005, 09:02 AM
When Al is on, he's good. But lately,IMHO, Al has really sucked at play calling . SD game was evidence enough. Miami started well, tailed off and finished well. Denver sucked, Was. game for the most part sucked, Philly game sucked, should have buried Philly.

Trent seems to do well in the 2 minute offense calling his own plays or at times when he checks off....... Can Trent call a good game by himself after game planning all week with Al ?

Who do you feel is better suited calling the plays ?

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Right now I would say Trent Green because when his headphone went out the other week in the Redskins game, he seemed to do better on his own. Plus I think he would go to Tony G more.

StcChief
11-02-2005, 09:17 AM
AL with option to change play at LOS by Trent.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Neither. Chiefsplanet members, of course. :rolleyes:

jynni
11-02-2005, 09:28 AM
AL with option to change play at LOS by Trent.
See - this just puzzles me. It seems like it would be common sense - natural progression of things. Why the hell can't Trent change the play without burning a timeout (that's getting really irritating)?!

Area 51
11-02-2005, 09:31 AM
I think Trent should smash his reciever before every game!

The game has been dirtied by the coaches calling the plays. It takes the leadership qualities of the QB out of play.

The purest form of NFL football is coaching during the week and only giving advice throughout the game, the teams should play using the plan conceived during the weeks practice. Adjustments made off the field and during half-time.

headsnap
11-02-2005, 09:35 AM
I think Trent should smash his reciever before every game!

Parker is already injured. :p

Area 51
11-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Parker is already injured. :p

Green should smash his helmut electronics reciever before each game!!

:harumph:

milkman
11-02-2005, 10:01 AM
When Al is on, he's good. But lately,IMHO, Al has really sucked at play calling . SD game was evidence enough. Miami started well, tailed off and finished well. Denver sucked, Was. game for the most part sucked, Philly game sucked, should have buried Philly.

Trent seems to do well in the 2 minute offense calling his own plays or at times when he checks off....... Can Trent call a good game by himself after game planning all week with Al ?

Who do you feel is better suited calling the plays ?

I think it's becoming more apparent with each game that Al is "on" when the O-Line is healthy and playing at a high level.

Woodrow Call
11-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Al has become predictable. You can usually tell by the formation if it is run or pass and to what side of the field the Chiefs are going to.

Everytime Gonzo lines out as a WR and Dunn lines up on the same side as a TE they pitch out to that side everytime. Pretty much if you find Dunn you know where the play is headed.

wolfpack0735
11-02-2005, 10:22 AM
let AS call the plays but also let trent have the option on EVERY play to change it at the line. when trent see`s it draging down just let him call them on the line in a hurry up type offense.

KCChiefsFan88
11-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Problem I have with Al Saunders playingcalling as of late is the fact he never seems to call just a basic, QB back in shotgun pass the ball on a crossing pattern or slant play, gain 15-20 yards. Seems like the majority of his pass calls have to involve a playfake, fake reverse then pass the ball.

Those are okay for a change up on a 2nd or 1st down, but they aren't fooling anyone on a 3rd and long or when the Chiefs are in an obvious passing situation. Also there isn't enough time for those plays to develop when the offensive line is struggling with pass protection.

TRR
11-02-2005, 12:00 PM
There is no way you can question Al Saunders. Saunders has brought this offense back from the dead, and has called plays that put up numbers the NFL hardly ever sees. There isn't a team in the NFL that wouldn't take Saunders as their OC right now.

I understand where the question is coming from, but it isn't Al Saunders. Someone earlier replied, "the offense has become predictable. Everytime Gonzalez and Dunn line up on the same side, you know it's a run to that side." That's been the same since Al Saunders got here. They've been running that play to perfection for the last several years. Defenses knew that was coming week in and week out. Problem is, they couldn't stop it. The players aren't executing, that's what the problem is...Not Al Saunders.

Douche Baggins
11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
One of the things that consistently annoys me is the play fake on a passing play when we're down by 10-14 or 17 points or MORE. Yeah, they're really going to bite on the run fakes then, Al.

Munson
11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
I say let Saunders call plays to begin with. Once he starts getting too cute with the playcalling and trying to outsmart himself(which is usually about the 3rd or 4th series) then let Trent call whatever he wants. They should both start thinking about using the no huddle more often. Especially against teams with aggressive front sevens or poor secondaries. That way they get tired and can't sub in fresh pass rushers and fresh corners.

B_Ambuehl
11-02-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm sure if you asked the players and Trent they'd tell you that they'd feel pretty damn confident if the coaching staff just left the building altogether and let them go out there and do what the hell they wanted. It'll never happen though cause then you have no justification for the jobs and the millions of dollars being paid to those coaches. Since the coaches can't do anything on the field, they try to control as much of what goes on the field as possible - if that makes any sense.

greg63
11-02-2005, 12:55 PM
I voted Trent. No reason in particular I just like the "old school" notion of the QB calling the plays, and I like Green better than Saunders.

philfree
11-02-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't think Al has done as good as he should calling the plays so far this year but if we don't block the other team it doesn't matter what we call because it ain't gonna work anyways. IMO a big reason Als play calling doesn't seem to good right now is the fact that we aren't getting the play blocked. Our big boys up front need to bow up and start doing a better job in both run blocking and pass protection. If they don't what plays are called won't matter.

PhilFree:arrow: