PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs eye Herman Edwards?

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 10:26 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/11/02/truth.rumors.nfl/

Rumors persist in league circles that the Chiefs have an eye on Jets coach Herm Edwards as a successor to Dick Vermeil, who is expected to retire.
-- New York Daily News

Woodrow Call
11-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Archie eyes the toilet

:cuss:

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Archie eyes the toilet

:cuss:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of it either.

Area 51
11-02-2005, 10:30 AM
I honestly don't think the Chiefs would go that direction.

Isn't it against league rules to comment on who you might be "tampering" with?

MOhillbilly
11-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Id rather see some youngblood.

this is a youngmans game.

Brock
ROFL

As predicted.

ptlyon
If the Chiefs do not hire Herm Edwards they are racist! :cuss:

chagrin
11-02-2005, 10:32 AM
yay! another underachiever, sitting on leads, conservative playing f'ing coach.

chagrin
chiefsfanforlife - awesome avatar by the way!

MichaelH

Sad but true :shake:

Wile_E_Coyote
11-02-2005, 10:33 AM
we will need his eye for quarterbacks

jspchief
11-02-2005, 10:33 AM
If the Chiefs do not hire Herm Edwards they are racist! :cuss:Maybe that's why they are looking at him... to fulfill the NFL's ridiculous policy on interviewing minority coaches.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Didn't Edwards play for Vermeil? Aren't they buddy buddy? I bet Vermeil is starting to pull the "Hey Carl, if I leave you should get this guy..." routine

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 10:35 AM
chiefsfanforlife - awesome avatar by the way!

I thought it was appropriate.

milkman
11-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Didn't Edwards play for Vermeil? Aren't they buddy buddy? I bet Vermeil is starting to pull the "Hey Carl, if I leave you should get this guy..." routine

No, Dick has been advocating Al to replace him.

Brock
11-02-2005, 10:37 AM

Peterson is already very familiar with Edwards. There is no sales job needed.

Cormac
11-02-2005, 10:38 AM
I'd imagine the Chiefs shortlist for HC candidates would contain:

Al Saunders
Herm Edwards (if fired)
Brian Billick (if fired)
Kirk Ferentz (if interested).

Not an exciting list. I hope I'm wrong. None of them does it for me. At this point, I don't know who I'd want outside of stable HCs like Marvin Lewis, John Fox, Steve Mariucci etc.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Off-topic: Are you the same as Brock Landers from MaddenMania?

Area 51
11-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Pure PR, Al is the Assistant Head Coach.

Area 51
11-02-2005, 10:40 AM

I thought you guys were firing Peterson too.

Otter
11-02-2005, 10:40 AM
ROFL
Kansas City Chiefs, trailblazers of the NFL. I would be more surprised if they didn't go this road than if they did.

I'd expect nothing less at this point.

htismaqe
11-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Edwards played for Vermeil and coached under Marty.

He's perfect for Carl.

:banghead:

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 10:43 AM
The only thing Edwards would contribute as HC of the Chiefs would be more entertaining Tuesday press conferences after a loss.

Other than that, I feel he doesn't bring anything more to the table.

htismaqe
ROFL
Kansas City Chiefs, trailblazers of the NFL. I would be more surprised if they didn't go this road than if they did.

I'd expect nothing less at this point.

Exactly.

htismaqe
I'd imagine the Chiefs shortlist for HC candidates would contain:

Al Saunders
Herm Edwards (if fired)
Brian Billick (if fired)
Kirk Ferentz (if interested).

Not an exciting list. I hope I'm wrong. None of them does it for me. At this point, I don't know who I'd want outside of stable HCs like Marvin Lewis, John Fox, Steve Mariucci etc.

Ferentz would be a VERY good choice.

siberian khatru
11-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Herm fits the "profile."

Brock
11-02-2005, 10:44 AM
I thought you guys were firing Peterson too.

I don't know what this means.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Homer.

tomahawk kid
11-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I hate coaches that make the playoffs most years too.

ROFL

Going to the dance with a chance to win in still better than this crap Vermiel has served up.

siberian khatru
11-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Homer.

Yeah, it's like Whitlock's Jeff George fetish.

Mr. Laz
11-02-2005, 10:46 AM

no bias at all ... nope

:p

Brock
11-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I hate coaches that make the playoffs most years too.

ROFL

Going to the dance with a chance to win in still better than this crap Vermiel has served up.

How would you feel about Paul Hackett as OC?

ZootedGranny
11-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Off-topic: Are you the same as Brock Landers from MaddenMania?

No, that's me.

tomahawk kid
11-02-2005, 10:49 AM
How would you feel about Paul Hackett as OC?

F#cker.

You got me there. I would hope Herm learned his lesson with Wackit the first time.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 10:51 AM
No, that's me.

Oh, cool. Nice to run into you again.

jspchief
11-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Herman Edwards has done more for NYJ than Vermeil has done for KC.

milkman
11-02-2005, 10:53 AM
F#cker.

You got me there. I would hope Herm learned his lesson with Wackit the first time.

If he's anything like Marty, and he is, then he doesn't learn lessens.

He just goes through making the same mistakes, over, and over, and over.

tomahawk kid
11-02-2005, 10:53 AM

My point exactly.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 10:55 AM

True, but you can probably say that for most of the coaches! :P

Vermeil has had a bad career in KC.

htismaqe
11-02-2005, 10:56 AM
no bias at all ... nope

None at all.

He's part of the Belichik coaching tree and has relationships with guys like Savage and Pioli that could finally get us the personnel people we need.

The guy has succeeded at everything he's ever done. He has NFL coaching experience, but not as a HC. And recognizing what he's done at Iowa had nothing to do with the fact I'm a fan -- no coach in the nation has won more games with less talent. He's consistently turning unrecruited "walk-on" players into 1st-day draftees.

ZootedGranny
11-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Oh, cool. Nice to run into you again.

I still check MM out daily, but I post all of my Chiefs thoughts over here because there's usually a corresponding thread.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I still check MM out daily, but I post all of my Chiefs thoughts over here because there's usually a corresponding thread.

MM sucks a lot now anyway.

jidar
11-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Hrm...
Sooo...
Hrm..
I shouldn't say this.

Is there going to be a problem because he's black? I know in KC probably racism is mostly a behind closed doors thing, but out here in the rural areas it's still pretty open.

I would bet money that when the Chiefs lose with a black headcoach I'm going to hear "that damned N****" at various places.

It's sad but true.

Although I guess not hiring him just to avoid that would be racist as well. *sigh* What can you do.
Days like this I'm reminded of the down side to living in the country. It's truly is ripe with ignorance.

jidar
MM sucks a lot now anyway.

What's MM?

Cochise
Dear God no... give me Saunders... Pete Carroll... Mooch... anybody but him...

Saulbadguy
11-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Pete Carroll = NFL Failure.

Brock
11-02-2005, 11:01 AM

He won a playoff game.

siberian khatru
11-02-2005, 11:02 AM

See also: Bill Belichick, Cleveland.

shaneo69
11-02-2005, 11:03 AM

Twice.

Brock
11-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Twice.

Not really. He was wisely replaced by Rich Kotite. How'd that turn out?

jspchief
11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Hrm...
Sooo...
Hrm..
I shouldn't say this.

Is there going to be a problem because he's black? I know in KC probably racism is mostly a behind closed doors thing, but out here in the rural areas it's still pretty open.

I would bet money that when the Chiefs lose with a black headcoach I'm going to hear "that damned N****" at various places.

It's sad but true.

Although I guess not hiring him just to avoid that would be racist as well. *sigh* What can you do.
Days like this I'm reminded of the down side to living in the country. It's truly is ripe with ignorance.So what if someone is saying "that damn n*gger"?

You need to learn to tune out the ignorant people. Racists will be muttering about the "damn n*ggers" regardless. It sure as hell shouldn't be a factor in who's given high profile jobs. That's just giving them what they want

Cochise
11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Edwards' best season ever, 10 wins.

And he would still be without a playoff win in 5 years if Nate Kaeding could make a field goal or if anyone other than Marty (or himself) were coaching the Chargers

Mr. Kotter
11-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Herm wouldn't be my first choice....heck, I'd even prefer Saunders, as long as he professed a real commitment to shoring up the "D."

However, we could do much worse than Herm.

Rausch
11-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Since Capers was on the short list when Gun was hired I'd imagne (considering his lack of job security) he'd be on the short list next year as well...

Cochise
11-02-2005, 11:10 AM
I wonder if we could seduce Monte Kiffin?

Rausch
11-02-2005, 11:11 AM

1-15?

Saulbadguy
11-02-2005, 11:11 AM
FRANK ****IN BEAMER!
http://www.coachillustrated.com/images/CoachImages/50x50/beamer50x50.jpg

Mr. Kotter
11-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Since Capers was on the short list when Gun was hired I'd imagne (considering his lack of job security) he'd be on the short list next year as well...

THAT would do it for me. I'd turn in my season-tickets....and consider becoming a Vikings fan. :cuss:

B_Ambuehl
11-02-2005, 11:13 AM
The only thing Edwards would contribute as HC of the Chiefs would be more entertaining Tuesday press conferences after a loss.

Other than that, I feel he doesn't bring anything more to the table

That's very true. The guy is purely a delegation type head coach who seems to know very little about football. His players like him because he doesn't act any different then them and let's them do whatever the hell they want. Guys punching each other in the face on the sidelines...coaches getting into brawls with each other....starting fights with opposing teams in scrimmages. Watch him and what he says on the sidelines sometime when he's miked up and it's pretty obvious.

siberian khatru
11-02-2005, 11:15 AM
THAT would do it for me. I'd turn in my season-tickets....and consider becoming a Vikings fan. :cuss:

With this guy as owner?

http://pixypouches.tripod.com/images/sin-ziggy.jpg

Mecca
11-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Dom Capers would be 1000 times worse of a hire than Herm Edwards.

Rausch
11-02-2005, 11:22 AM

I disagree.

But the evidence is 50/50 right now.

He did a great job as DC for the Steelers and in Carolina as HC, but has sucked arse in Texas... :hmmm:

Mecca
11-02-2005, 11:25 AM
I disagree.

But the evidence is 50/50 right now.

He did a great job as DC for the Steelers and in Carolina as HC, but has sucked arse in Texas... :hmmm:

He's not a bad DC but as a head coach, I'm unimpressed. After seeing seeing all of his years of coaching, I'm truly convinced his playoff year with Carolina was a fluke. I'd take just about anyone over Dom as the new coach.

jidar
11-02-2005, 11:30 AM
So what if someone is saying "that damn n*gger"?

You need to learn to tune out the ignorant people. Racists will be muttering about the "damn n*ggers" regardless. It sure as hell shouldn't be a factor in who's given high profile jobs. That's just giving them what they want

All too true.
Guess I just wasn't looking forward to hearing it, but the alternative is even dumber.

GoTrav
11-02-2005, 11:39 AM

agree...no one really impresses me. Not a big Billick fan, hiring Capers would be a freakin joke.

From what John Clayton said on TV the other day, he expected Edwards not to be sent his walking papers...when did this change?

shaneo69
11-02-2005, 11:45 AM

Then later he got handed a Super Bowl team in New England. How'd that turn out?

How many chances do you get before people stop calling you the next Bill Belichick?

WEIRDWOLF
11-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Gentlemen, you are all wrong! The next coach of the Kansas City Chiefs will be Bill Cowher! Pittsburgh wants a change and Bill has a great scowl for the cameras!!

Rausch
11-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Gentlemen, you are all wrong! The next coach of the Kansas City Chiefs will be Bill Cowher! Pittsburgh wants a change and Bill has a great scowl for the cameras!!

I thought Pitt coaches were like Supreme Court Justices...

Brock
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Then later he got handed a Super Bowl team in New England. How'd that turn out?

How many chances do you get before people stop calling you the next Bill Belichick?

They won a playoff game. After that, Curtis Martin left.

Are you seriously telling me Pete Carroll isn't a good coach?

Mecca
11-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Pete Carroll was a good NFL coach, he's a great college coach. I'd personally rather him not leave USC for personel reasons........

ROYC75
11-02-2005, 12:04 PM
MM is as Mike Martz .......

Oh good grief...... please no .

dirk digler
11-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Interesting, I predicted this last week.

As I said then CP will ONLY hire a veteran NFL head coach. He will not hire some unproven commidity because he doesn't want to rebuild as much.

Herm makes perfect sense for CP.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 12:13 PM
What's MM?

MaddenMania.com forums...a message board run by a bunch of power-hungry, hypocritical idiots (for the most part).

tomahawk kid
11-02-2005, 12:14 PM

Don't tease me.

Redcoats58
11-02-2005, 12:20 PM
I saw someone mention Billick in this thread, if this happens I will go to arrowhead with a loaded m16.

Douche Baggins
11-02-2005, 12:24 PM
I think there's little chance Edwards leaves New York, thankfully.

I'm on the Mariucci bangwagon, and I think Matt Millen is a big enough maroon to let him go.

MOhillbilly
11-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Interesting, I predicted this last week.

As I said then CP will ONLY hire a veteran NFL head coach. He will not hire some unproven commidity because he doesn't want to rebuild as much.

Herm makes perfect sense for CP.

maybe KC fan will get lucky and Cp will go in the dumper.

fingers crossed ,prayers said nightly to the Football gods.....

ck_IN
11-02-2005, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with Mooch and I'd be ok with Cowher but I think Edwards is another 'player coach' Thanks but no thanks. Capers I can't get a good read on. His record has been spotty but I'd be willing to consider him.

Whomever they might get a major rebuild is long overdue and the longer they put it off the more painful it'll be. If CP thinks otherwise he's just whistling past the graveyard and bilking season ticket holders in the process.

Chan93lx50
11-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Its sad, the season is only half way over and I am already getting excited to see a changing of the guard in KC

Douche Baggins
11-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Its sad, the season is only half way over and I am already getting excited to see a changing of the guard in KC

Some of us have been fantasizing about it since the Colts failed to punt.

ck_IN
11-02-2005, 12:53 PM
<i>Some of us have been fantasizing about it since the Colts failed to punt.</i>

Some of us have been fantasizing about it since DV was hired.

tk13
11-02-2005, 01:06 PM
What's going to happen is... DV is going to leave. Everybody's going to be excited. Be ready for a fresh start. Yippie and all that jazz. We're going to get out there, and nobody is going to like any of the candidates to replace him.

I like Herm though. He's better than a lot of guys out there, and I think I'd want him before all these college coaches that seem so popular. He's definitely done a lot better job of drafting and developing talent.

Piper
11-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Jets fans everywhere are praying for this to be true.

Edwards is a nightmare. Mediocrity at it's finest, but as someone pointed out with a Jackie Childs twist to press conferences.

htismaqe
11-02-2005, 01:30 PM
What's going to happen is... DV is going to leave. Everybody's going to be excited. Be ready for a fresh start. Yippie and all that jazz. We're going to get out there, and nobody is going to like any of the candidates to replace him.

I like Herm though. He's better than a lot of guys out there, and I think I'd want him before all these college coaches that seem so popular. He's definitely done a lot better job of drafting and developing talent.

What talent did he draft AND develop?

Piper
11-02-2005, 01:33 PM

Lamont Jordan - oh no, he wasted away on the bench for 4 years even when Martin was injured
Derrick Strait - thought to be a third round steal at CB, progressed to dime back!!

um um um

cdcox
11-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Forming ChiefsFansInExile now.

tk13
11-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Hmm, he drafted Dewayne Robertson, Vilma, Erik Coleman, Derick Strait... made good FA moves with Barton and Barrett. Abraham and Shaun Ellis had only played one year before Herm got there, and Abraham blew up under him. I've used them all offseason as an example of a defense that didn't spend a lot of money to build a good defense.

shaneo69
11-02-2005, 02:50 PM
What's gonna be even better is when the Jets hold onto him and force Carl to give them draft picks.

Memo to Carl....when you let it be known to everybody in the league who you are trying to get (Ryan Sims, Dick Vermiel, Trent Green, etc.), you are left at the mercy of the other teams.

chefsos
11-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Jets fans everywhere are praying for this to be true.

Edwards is a nightmare. Mediocrity at it's finest, but as someone pointed out with a Jackie Childs twist to press conferences.

Who do you guys have in mind?

shaneo69
11-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Who do you guys have in mind?

I heard the Jets are looking upstate for their next coach.....the guy who has taken Syracuse to new heights this year.

milkman
11-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with Mooch and I'd be ok with Cowher but I think Edwards is another 'player coach' Thanks but no thanks. Capers I can't get a good read on. His record has been spotty but I'd be willing to consider him.

Whomever they might get a major rebuild is long overdue and the longer they put it off the more painful it'll be. If CP thinks otherwise he's just whistling past the graveyard and bilking season ticket holders in the process.

There's a lot of things that you say that I don't agree with, but you and I have been in 100% agreement on Vermeil since he got here.

Lbedrock1
11-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Maybe that's why they are looking at him... to fulfill the NFL's ridiculous policy on interviewing minority coaches.
Why did you have to put it like that? Is it so ridiculous to force a league, that has been lily white in its coaches since its creation, to finally give black coaches a chance to at least interview for the job. They are not force to hire the coach just to give him a chance. I would not call that ridiculous, I would call that the right thing to do.

Lbedrock1
11-02-2005, 03:53 PM
That might be true in your eyes, but I don't want Herm Edwards and Im black. I would rather go with Al Saunders. I know that is not popular around here but he has given us the most exciting offense we have had in over 10 years and you all would be screaming to keep him had we had a ounce of a D these last three years.

htismaqe
11-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Hmm, he drafted Dewayne Robertson, Vilma, Erik Coleman, Derick Strait... made good FA moves with Barton and Barrett. Abraham and Shaun Ellis had only played one year before Herm got there, and Abraham blew up under him. I've used them all offseason as an example of a defense that didn't spend a lot of money to build a good defense.

Seriously, dude, you need to look it up.

Robertson was a #4 overall pick that failed to contribute significantly for almost a year-and-a-half.

Other than that, his drafts look almost as good as Carl Peterson's. Look at the players on that list. Half of them only broke out once they arrived at another team. The other half just never developed.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/NYJ

ChiTown
11-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Why did you have to put it like that? Is it so ridiculous to force a league, that has been lily white in its coaches since its creation, to finally give black coaches a chance to at least interview for the job. They are not force to hire the coach just to give him a chance. I would not call that ridiculous, I would call that the right thing to do.

Chance?

You don't think NFL Owners and GM's would love to have a GREAT Head Coach on their staff regardless of their skin color? I think there's plenty of truth to the fact that the NFL, along with other professional sports was racist in their views pertaining to Black HC's. But come one, if anything, we have severly slanted the other direction in order to overcompensate. NFL teams will hire the best guy - black or white - period. To have some sort of "special rule" to at least interview a black candidate is rediculous. JMHO.

Clint in Wichita
11-02-2005, 04:19 PM
What exactly has Herm Edwards ever done?

The Chiefs need to hire a proven winner...someone who's either successful in the NFL right now, or has been very recently. Not Saunders, not Edwards. No college guys. A guy who Peterson can't control in any way.

Even if it costs draft picks.

milkman
11-02-2005, 04:26 PM
What exactly has Herm Edwards ever done?

The Chiefs need to hire a proven winner...someone who's either successful in the NFL right now, or has been very recently. Not Saunders, not Edwards. No college guys. A guy who Peterson can't control in any way.

Even if it costs draft picks.

Great idea Clint.

One little flaw that I can think of in your idea, however, is that Carl will be the man hiring the coach.

I can see it now.

Carl to self, "Hmmm, who can I get to coach this team that will bitch slap me if I get in his way?".

Clint in Wichita
11-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Great idea Clint.

One little flaw that I can think of in your idea, however, is that Carl will be the man hiring the coach.

I can see it now.

Carl to self, "Hmmm, who can I get to coach this team that will bitch slap me if I get in his way?".

Peterson should be fired as well.

This whole Vermeil experiment has been a mess.

Lbedrock1
11-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Chance?

You don't think NFL Owners and GM's would love to have a GREAT Head Coach on their staff regardless of their skin color? I think there's plenty of truth to the fact that the NFL, along with other professional sports was racist in their views pertaining to Black HC's. But come one, if anything, we have severly slanted the other direction in order to overcompensate. NFL teams will hire the best guy - black or white - period. To have some sort of "special rule" to at least interview a black candidate is rediculous. JMHO.
What you seem to forget is that before the rule the owners were not even giving the black asst coaches interviews. They would hire the white coaches or even have the coach they wanted in mind before the interview process began. Remember Marvin Lewis was not even given chances to interview before the rule and look at what he has done in cinci. Hiring the best rather black or white is nice to say but had no truth to it.

milkman
11-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Peterson should be fired as well.

This whole Vermeil experiment has been a mess.

Carl should have been fired years ago.

But that ain't going to happen, with the contract extention he signed just a few months ago.

ChiTown
11-02-2005, 04:50 PM
What you seem to forget is that before the rule the owners were not even giving the black asst coaches interviews. They would hire the white coaches or even have the coach they wanted in mind before the interview process began. Remember Marvin Lewis was not even given chances to interview before the rule and look at what he has done in cinci. Hiring the best rather black or white is nice to say but had no truth to it.

And you know this because?

Fact of the matter is, you don't know this at all. And of course they know who they want before the interview. How is this any different than any other executive level position. Don't give me this Marvin Lewis BS. He was a great DC, but he needed some seasoning before he got his HC gig with the 'Gals. When it was his time, he got the job.

CosmicPal
11-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Carl should have been fired years ago.

But that ain't going to happen, with the contract extention he signed just a few months ago.

Maybe we can all sneak into the Arrowhead offices, find the contract, and burn it?

the Talking Can
11-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Herm would a serious blow to the fans....but no worse than Lamar resigning CP...all of it gaurantees mediocrity...

milkman
11-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Herm would a serious blow to the fans....but no worse than Lamar resigning CP...all of it gaurantees mediocrity...

Yay!

HolmeZz
11-02-2005, 05:05 PM
YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

milkman
11-02-2005, 05:08 PM

BTW, since Hermie is a Marty clone, the correct word is 'Martyocrity'.

Lbedrock1
11-02-2005, 06:59 PM
And you know this because?

Fact of the matter is, you don't know this at all. And of course they know who they want before the interview. How is this any different than any other executive level position. Don't give me this Marvin Lewis BS. He was a great DC, but he needed some seasoning before he got his HC gig with the 'Gals. When it was his time, he got the job.
I guess you don't find it funny that his time only came after they passd that rule. You see what you want to see and anytime rules are made to try and even the playing field for minorities some white men get all twisted in knots and say things like it ridiculous that they have to interview black coaches for the job. And I know this because in 1992 there were no black head coaches in the league and the same excuse you used for Marvin Lewis was the same excuse they used for not having one. They need more experience. Just realize you are wrong and understand that until we all become one race (The Human Race) in the eyes of everyone things like this are needed to even the playing field. If you are one that thinks it is even now then no more can be said to you because that would mean you live in another world or you are blind.

CosmicPal
11-02-2005, 07:02 PM
If we don't hire Herman Edwards, Whitlock will say we're a racist organization and ruin all the fun of getting a new coach.

OldTownChief
11-02-2005, 07:05 PM

WTF :banghead: I will NEVER support a team with Al Davis as head coach. :banghead:

shaneo69
11-02-2005, 07:17 PM
I guess you don't find it funny that his time only came after they passd that rule. You see what you want to see and anytime rules are made to try and even the playing field for minorities some white men get all twisted in knots and say things like it ridiculous that they have to interview black coaches for the job. And I know this because in 1992 there were no black head coaches in the league and the same excuse you used for Marvin Lewis was the same excuse they used for not having one. They need more experience. Just realize you are wrong and understand that until we all become one race (The Human Race) in the eyes of everyone things like this are needed to even the playing field. If you are one that thinks it is even now then no more can be said to you because that would mean you live in another world or you are blind.

You're not gonna be hired as a HC unless you're a NFL coordinator or a college HC. How many NFL coordinators and college HC's were black in 1992?

Denny Green didn't seem to have a problem getting a HC job. And that was before "the rule" was passed. He didn't whine about not getting an opportunity. He went out and worked his way up the ladder, becoming the HC at Northwestern before being hired by the Vikings.

Tony Dungy worked his way up and got hired by the Bucs before "the rule" came into play.

Ray Rhodes got hired before "the rule."

How old is Marvin Lewis? He didn't get bypassed any more than Jim Johnson and Monte Kiffin, two (white) DC's who have had more success than Lewis had.

Who else do you think deserves to be a HC? Singletary? He only got into coaching 3 years ago and still hasn't been a coordinator.

Quit your whining already.

milkman
11-02-2005, 07:19 PM
WTF :banghead: I will NEVER support a team with Al Davis as head coach. :banghead:

ROFL

Al Saunders.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-02-2005, 07:28 PM
I vote for Saunders, then maybe he can fire most of the defensive staff that Vermeil won't and let Gunther pick his own guys to come in.

OldTownChief
11-02-2005, 07:35 PM
ROFL

Al Saunders.

Oh :p Nevermind.

dtebbe
11-02-2005, 08:50 PM
If we don't hire Herman Edwards, Whitlock will say we're a racist organization and ruin all the fun of getting a new coach.

Yep, but then he will whine when his so brotha Jeff George gets passed up as QB coach...

DT

jspchief
11-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Why did you have to put it like that? Is it so ridiculous to force a league, that has been lily white in its coaches since its creation, to finally give black coaches a chance to at least interview for the job. They are not force to hire the coach just to give him a chance. I would not call that ridiculous, I would call that the right thing to do.It is ridiculous. Diversity forced at gunpoint is not diversity at all, and probably does more to generate resentment towards minorities than anything else.

I could go on about the flaws in the idea, but I'll save it for another conversation. Suffice to say that I believe diversity is best accomplished when it happens of it's own accord. That's the only way it is real.

Logical
11-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Why on earth would Edwards be interested unless he believes he will be fired by the Jets? Makes no sense, Jets have a younger team and a much better defense. They need a QB and RB for the future but not nearly as many holes to fill as the Chiefs have IMO. Neither team has been to the SB in decades so the prestige level of the Jets being in NY has to be higher.

milkman
11-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Why on earth would Edwards be interested unless he believes he will be fired by the Jets? Makes no sense, Jets have a younger team and a much better defense. They need a QB and RB for the future but not nearly as many holes to fill as the Chiefs have IMO. Neither team has been to the SB in decades so the prestige level of the Jets being in NY has to be higher.

This speculation is based on the assumption that Hermie will be fired by the Jets at the end of the season.

ChiTown
11-03-2005, 07:41 AM

Yes, because only the Black Man understands race issues. Give me a break, and save it for some bleeding heart that actually buys that load of crap.

There is no doubt that this was once and issue, but you aren't going to convince me that it's an issue in today's NFL. I'm sorry, but winning is way more important than race when money is at stake.

BTW, where the hell is all the uproar for the lack of Latino and Asian candidates...............

shaneo69
11-03-2005, 01:47 PM
BTW, where the hell is all the uproar for the lack of Latino and Asian candidates...............

Norm Chow is being kept down by the man!!!

HuddleClubKid
11-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Actually Edwards signed a two-year extension at the end of 2004. The contract has an out-clause for both the team and coach. Therefore Edwards can opt out at the end of the season if he's not fired. Terry Bradway is not making the call on this deal. Ownership will make the call but Edwards would love to Coach the Chiefs and the New York Print guys have been talking about this for weeks.

shaneo69
11-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Actually Edwards signed a two-year extension at the end of 2004. The contract has an out-clause for both the team and coach. Therefore Edwards can opt out at the end of the season if he's not fired. Terry Bradway is not making the call on this deal. Ownership will make the call but Edwards would love to Coach the Chiefs and the New York Print guys have been talking about this for weeks.

Typical Nick Athan. A tidbit of good information, and then...BAM...a purely speculative comment stated as fact.

Soon to be followed by claims that unnamed sources have intimate knowledge of Edwards' feelings about where he wants to coach next season.

Why in God's name would Edwards LOVE to coach the Chiefs? Is it the enormous amount of talent that Carl has accumulated that would be at his disposal? That must be it.

Mecca
11-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Well, he does have ties to the organization.

htismaqe
11-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Good. The Chiefs can hire Edwards and I can start over as an NFL fan...

shaneo69
11-03-2005, 03:51 PM
Good. The Chiefs can hire Edwards and I can start over as an NFL fan...

I heard the Saints are thinking about moving to Iowa.

htismaqe
11-03-2005, 03:54 PM
I heard the Saints are thinking about moving to Iowa.

ROFL

I could always root for the Bears or Vikings.

:banghead:

Having Carl Peterson leave and take the Herm Edwards dream with him would be preferrable...

HuddleClubKid
11-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Shaneo 69 your brutal. Seriously. You have any better sources then I do on this topic than go ahead and post them. I gave you the facts and offered my opinion. All you want to do is bash me.

Everytime I post you act the same way. Your no more knowledgeable than I am on the topic and I am at Arrowhead everyday.

Are you?

Stick to the topic at hand. Keep the rhetoric to yourself and stay on the topic. It would be easier to stomach.

Just trying to post the facts as I've heard them. Right or wrong. That's after all what makes this a fun board. But your personal words are getting old.

I stated my opinion and that's that. Maybe I should start out every post by blasting you. It's easy to hide behind the board and be critical. At least I take my Bullets like a man!

BTW, that picture has to go. Chow Nick

tyton75
11-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Its going to be Butch Davis

Bowser
11-03-2005, 04:10 PM

NO

Clint in Wichita
11-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Edwards sucks.

Next?

Saggysack
11-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Edwards sucks.

Next?

Your choice?

Clint in Wichita
11-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Your choice?

Not Edwards.

How about a coach from a team that doesn't suck ass?

Saggysack
11-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Not Edwards.

Like?

Work with me here Clint. You gotta have a idea of who you like.

CanadaKC
11-03-2005, 04:23 PM
I personally think Edwards is a great coach...his defences have always been tough...and he was a tough-as-nails player when he played. You can't fault the guy when two out of his four seasons in New York Pennington went down with a season-ending injury...and whoever thought that trading Coles back to New York for Santana Moss should be shot...I'm sure that wasn't Edwards. When your starting QB is gone...basically write off the season in most cases. When Pennington played a full season...the Jets were 12-4 and almost upset the Pats in the playoffs.

RedThat
11-03-2005, 04:26 PM
I personally think Edwards is a great coach...his defenses have always been tough...and he was a tough-as-nails player when he played. You can't fault the guy when two out of his four seasons in New York Pennington went down with a season-ending injury...and whoever thought that trading Coles back to New York for Santana Moss should be shot...I'm sure that wasn't Edwards. When your starting QB is gone...basically write off the season in most cases. When Pennington played a full season...the Jets were 12-4 and almost upset the Pats in the playoffs.

Good point

Mecca
11-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Not Edwards.

Those teams generally keep their coaches hence why they don't suck ass.

RedThat
11-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Not Edwards.

I disagree with you. Thats an unfair statement on your part. Like CanadaKC said, one of his best players(Pennington) was lost twice. That is a BIG BIG difference just as much as the Chiefs losing Green. When you lose your best player, that makes a difference on your teams overall record. I dont think hes a bad coach, hes been unfortunate because his best players always get hurt. His teams play hard, and his defenses are pretty good.

*Take away Manning, Brady, and Im sure the Colts, and Patriots suck a** too. Thats why I think your statement is bold, and unfair.

kcirnamffoh
11-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Hrm...
Sooo...
Hrm..
I shouldn't say this.

It's sad but true.

Days like this I'm reminded of the down side to living in the country. It's truly is ripe with ignorance.

Yeah, I've often wondered if the KC franchise/fan base would ever accept a black quarterback. Although, I guess, Warren Moon was here for what one or two seasons? I don't think he ever took a snap, though.
Can't remember. How 'bout Culpepper? Wouldn't that be awesome if KC could get Culpepper.

I've chimed in on this subject on another thread and with Peterson so into the bottom line for the Hunt family, chances are he'll go cheap and hire from within. Saunders or Cunningham.

If he does look outside though, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a play for Mike Martz. His offensive philosophy is right in line with the Chiefs current one.

If you ask me I like Jeff Fisher. He is defensive oriented but has enough respect for balance that he was able to take the Titans to a SB. I believe he is in his last year with Tennesse.

TrickyNicky
11-03-2005, 06:11 PM
One thing is for sure... If Edwards becomes the Chiefs coach, the Press conferences are automatically must-see.

Deberg_1990
11-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I've often wondered if the KC franchise/fan base would ever accept a black quarterback.

Please.....honestly, most people could care less if a QB was white, black, red green or blue. All we want is a winner.

VonneMarie
11-03-2005, 06:45 PM
It's going to be Mike Martz.

milkman
11-03-2005, 08:35 PM
I personally think Edwards is a great coach...his defenses have always been tough...and he was a tough-as-nails player when he played. You can't fault the guy when two out of his four seasons in New York Pennington went down with a season-ending injury...and whoever thought that trading Coles back to New York for Santana Moss should be shot...I'm sure that wasn't Edwards. When your starting QB is gone...basically write off the season in most cases. When Pennington played a full season...the Jets were 12-4 and almost upset the Pats in the playoffs.

Edwards is a Marty clone.

He plays not to lose, and like Marty can win in the regular season against inferior competition.

Also like Marty, he occasionally gets good games against stronger competition.

But when the playoffs arrive, he, like Marty, will be leaving the party early.

NO MORE MARTYOCRE FOOTBALL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

wazu
11-03-2005, 08:47 PM

No use getting excited. They'll only screw it up. I vote that Gunther gets a second shot. He did, after all, sweep Denver both years he was HC. That's worth something.