PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of some purchases...

luv
11-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Just wondering...

How much is a new mouse?
Which one is the best? I'm sick of this one with the ball.

Also, how much for a new monitor?
I have one of the huge ones. The screen is flat, but the monitor is huge. If I had a true flat monitor (or whatever those are called), I'd have a lot more room on my desk. Then maybe I wouldn't be thinking of a new desk.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2005, 11:36 AM
I like my Logitech MX1000. It uses a " LASER ". Go with a Wireless OPTICAL mouse. If you aren't a gamer (i'm assuming you aren't), spend around $30-$50. I like Logitech, and Microsoft mice.

You are looking for a flat panel monitor. They are around $200-$300, last time I checked.

luv
11-02-2005, 11:40 AM
I like my Logitech MX1000. It uses a " LASER ". Go with a Wireless OPTICAL mouse. If you aren't a gamer (i'm assuming you aren't), spend around $30-$50. I like Logitech, and Microsoft mice.

You are looking for a flat panel monitor. They are around $200-$300, last time I checked.
You're right, not a gamer. I just get tired of moving my mouse, and the arrow doesn't move with it. I didn't want to ask what the mouse with the red light thing was called (I really show my ignorance). Optical...thanks.

I guess I'll go online as well to see what kind of deals I can get on a monitor.

Thanks again.

Pants
11-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Dude, she doesn't need a freaking top of the line mouse.

Go to a local Best Buy and they usually have the mice on display so you can get a feel for which you like the most. Come back and tell us which model you liked and people here will surely find a much better deal so you can buy that particular mouse or a similar model for much cheaper.

You can now buy an optical mouse for $10, I just don't understand people who use ball mice, which became obsolete 3 years ago.

luv
11-02-2005, 11:46 AM

Go to a local Best Buy and they usually have the mice on display so you can get a feel for which you like the most. Come back and tell us which model you liked and people here will surely find a much better deal so you can buy that particular mouse or a similar model for much cheaper.

You can now buy an optical mouse for $10, I just don't understand people who use ball mice, which became obsolete 3 years ago.
It came with the computer, which was a Christmas/housewarming gift a year ago.

The Bad Guy
11-02-2005, 11:48 AM
I have a kensington optical mouse and I love it.

It's about 20 bucks.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM

Shut up, bitch. WIRELESS Optical Mouse > Optical Mouse.

Pants
11-02-2005, 11:54 AM
In my opinion, Logitech is by far the best brand when you're looking at computer peripherals. Incredible quality.

luv
11-02-2005, 12:05 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7086173&type=product&productCategoryId=cat15118&id=1109233322872

I have a hp computer. Should I go with this monitor I found, or look for a cheaper off brand?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6689531&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat23200050023&id=1083712187641

And I like this mouse.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2005, 12:13 PM
I would look for something around that price, but in a 17" variety. 15 is way too small.

The mouse, meh. Only a few buttons.

luv
11-02-2005, 12:18 PM
I would look for something around that price, but in a 17" variety. 15 is way too small.

The mouse, meh. Only a few buttons.
LOL...

A few buttons is enough for me.

I have a 15" monitor now. Of course, with the flat panel monitor, it won't be as close to me.

ksushark
11-02-2005, 12:20 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7086173&type=product&productCategoryId=cat15118&id=1109233322872

I have a hp computer. Should I go with this monitor I found, or look for a cheaper off brand?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6689531&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat23200050023&id=1083712187641

And I like this mouse.

You can find larger, better quality monitors for the the same price or cheaper online. You can probably find a better price for the mouse if you shop around too, but for $26 it's probably not worth the trouble.

luv
11-02-2005, 12:26 PM
You can find larger, better quality monitors for the the same price or cheaper online. You can probably find a better price for the mouse if you shop around too, but for $26 it's probably not worth the trouble.
I am searching online for the deals, but will be going to the store to make the purchase. I try not to use credit cards anymore. I just got them paid off. I'm going to search Circuit City's website next.

luv
11-02-2005, 12:33 PM
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/118963/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs

I'm confused. I checked out this hp 17" monitor, and was reading the customer reviews. The biggest complaint I see is the speakers. One said that you can't plug external speakers into it. My current speakers do not plug into my monitor. They plug into my CPU. :shrug:

jspchief
11-02-2005, 12:36 PM
If you get a wireless mouse, plan on getting some rechargeable batteries (or do they have ones with built in batteries now?)

I have a Microsoft wireless optical, and love it.

ksushark
11-02-2005, 12:44 PM
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/118963/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs

I'm confused. I checked out this hp 17" monitor, and was reading the customer reviews. The biggest complaint I see is the speakers. One said that you can't plug external speakers into it. My current speakers do not plug into my monitor. They plug into my CPU. :shrug:

Your sound card would be in your CPU and not in the monitor. So I have to think they're complaining that they can't connect speakers that they previously had attached to their old monitor to this monitor. This shouldn't be a problem for you since your existing speakers aren't connected to your monitor anyway.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2005, 12:56 PM
If you get a wireless mouse, plan on getting some rechargeable batteries (or do they have ones with built in batteries now?)

I have a Microsoft wireless optical, and love it.
My Logitech has a charger/cradle that comes with it.

jspchief
11-02-2005, 01:00 PM
My Logitech has a charger/cradle that comes with it.That would be nice. I rotate rechargeable AAs about once per week.

joesomebody
11-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I always heard there was a delay with wireless mice...

Saulbadguy
11-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Maybe with the cheap/old ones.

AeroSquid
11-03-2005, 03:49 PM

there is. that's why gamers don't use them ;)

edit: including the latest and greatest from Logitech... all wireless mice/keyboards lag. it's very perceptible in game.

Saulbadguy
11-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Not really.

Pants
11-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Not really.

Yeah, I'm sure you don't feel it in Star War Galaxies.

AeroSquid
11-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Not really.

When reaction times count.. in games like Source or UT a cordless mouse is too slow. Including the MX1000. I'm sure you can play WOW or other RPG's just fine but you will never find a serious FPS gamer with a cordless mouse or keyboard.

luv
11-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Well, I got a Westinghouse 17" flat panel monitor at Best Buy for $229. I got a Logitech optical mouse (with cord) for $25.99. I decided to go ahead and look for a keyboard while I was there, but I did not see one I liked that didn't come with a cordless optical mouse. Loving the new monitor. It's a lot brighter than my old monitor, so I set the contrast to 0. I actually have room on my desk now!

Miles
11-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Well, I got a Westinghouse 17" flat panel monitor at Best Buy for $229. I got a Logitech optical mouse (with cord) for $25.99. I decided to go ahead and look for a keyboard while I was there, but I did not see one I liked that didn't come with a cordless optical mouse. Loving the new monitor. It's a lot brighter than my old monitor, so I set the contrast to 0. I actually have room on my desk now!

Just a suggestion. If you were to get a monitor online you could get a 19" for around the same price.

Here is one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116366

list of them
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=1056%3A9098&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=20&Submit=Property

luv
11-04-2005, 02:53 AM
Just a suggestion. If you were to get a monitor online you could get a 19" for around the same price.

Here is one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116366

list of them
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=1056%3A9098&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=20&Submit=Property
That would require using a credit card. I'd rather pay cash.

Miles
11-04-2005, 03:05 AM

Ah. You have a check card then?

Pants
11-04-2005, 05:36 AM

Gah! Why are you doing this to yourself? You have the cash? Use the CC to buy the better monitor online, put the cash in the bank and pay the CC balance (for the monitor) online the same day. DONE. It's the exact same thing, a few steps and you're much better off for the same amount of money. It's not like CC's are this evil thing, that once you use them, you'll forever be in debt.

the Talking Can
11-04-2005, 06:22 AM
credit cards, like photographs, steal your soul...

can't wait till the day I can afford to get rid of this Van sized monitor on my desk....

luv
11-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Ah. You have a check card then?
Two actually. I just got them paid off. I told myself that I am only using them if I have an emergency. I don't consider preferring a flat panel to be an emergency.

Miles
11-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Gah! Why are you doing this to yourself? You have the cash? Use the CC to buy the better monitor online, put the cash in the bank and pay the CC balance (for the monitor) online the same day. DONE. It's the exact same thing, a few steps and you're much better off for the same amount of money. It's not like CC's are this evil thing, that once you use them, you'll forever be in debt.

Couldnt agree more with this approach.

Miles
11-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Two actually. I just got them paid off. I told myself that I am only using them if I have an emergency. I don't consider preferring a flat panel to be an emergency.

By check card i was refering to one of those debit/check cards that only draw out of your bank account.

luv
11-05-2005, 01:21 AM
By check card i was refering to one of those debit/check cards that only draw out of your bank account.
Oops. I misread. No, I don't have a debit card.

luv
11-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Let's just say I've gotten myself my birthday and Christmas presents for the year. Within the last three days, I have bought:

Westinghouse 17" flat panel monitor
Logitech optical mouse (with cord)
Logitech keyboard (with cord)
Logitech web cam
Mouse pad

The only three things I haven't replaced are the tower, the printer, and the mic. I have a GE mic. I currently have an HP Deskjet 3845 color printer (not great, but good enough for me. I don't print much). The tower is an HP Pavilion. I forget all the specifics on it. It's only a year old, and I basically just use it for internet and Word, anyway. Download a song or two from time to time.