PDA

View Full Version : Why women should never write about football...

shaneo69
11-02-2005, 08:31 PM
WEIR: DIVIDED LOYALTIES
Nov 01, 2005, 3:01:38 AM by Eileen Weir

For most of my life, I rooted for the New York Giants. Period. There was no other team worthy of even my passing interest. Every other team, particularly division rivals, was considered the enemy, their defeat and humiliation bringing me nothing but pure joy.

In my early 20ís I took a job with the Chiefs, moved to Kansas City, and became a fan of a team that had never before entered my consciousness. I justified the betrayal by acknowledging that my two teams played in opposing conferences. I could have an AFC team and an NFC team to boost and still sleep at night.

Now, as I look at the NFL schedule each week I realize there are fewer and fewer teams that I wonít secretly support. What happened? Without question my number one loyalty now is to the Chiefs, and weekly I cheer for whatever scenario benefits the red and gold. But in games that are unlikely to directly impact the post-season hopes of our hometown team, I am shockingly fickle.

The majority of secondary teams I covertly back have a Chiefs connection. The others have a link to the Giants of my youth. I canít speculate if this phenomenon is widespread among all Chiefs fans but I know it to be the case inside the hallowed halls of Arrowhead Stadium. Chiefs insiders secretly or overtly keep a keen eye on those who once called Kansas City home.

See if you can follow along.

The most overt and age-tested loyalty is to the Pittsburgh Steelers. As a Chiefs fan, I take credit for the success of Bill Cowher who rose to prominence under the as Marty Schottenheimerís Chiefs defensive coordinator and special teamsí coach for Martyís Cleveland Browns teams. Certainly in the head-to-head meetings over the years, Chiefs fans have enjoyed the ďstudent vs. teacherĒ aura that surrounded the Pittsburgh/Kansas City games.

It is time to cut the cord, so to speak. Cowher is now in his fourteenth year with Pittsburgh, currently holding the longest tenure of any head coach in the NFL. Regardless of the facts that Cowher, born and raised in Pittsburgh, is a native son and local icon for the Steelers faithful, Kansas Citians still claim him. Itís time for us to allow Cowher to be his own man, take credit for his success, and get from under our mantle.

Holding affection for former Chiefs personnel complicates my personal rooting system. As the spawn of the Marty/Carl regime of the 1990ís, I cheer for Herman Edwards with the New York Jets and Tony Dungy in Indianapolis. During his years in Tampa Bay, I pulled for Coach Dungy and developed a fleeting loyalty to the Bucs.

Of course, I still wish good fortune for Marty, which took my attention to the Redskins and now the San Diego Chargers. As long as his success doesnít hurt the Chiefs, Iím on his side. Watching the Chargers lose in heartbreaking fashion this season has been tough. I know it benefits our team to see a division rival go down, but I still feel bad for Marty. And Greg Manusky, one of the all time great guys to wear a Chiefs uniform and now the linebackerís coach in San Diego.

Iím certain that when Brian Schottentheimer gains his own head-coaching job, Iíll follow his career and cheer for him. Heck, we remember the young Schottenheimer as the quarterback for Blue Valley High School, leading his team to a Kansas state championship. Heís practically one of our own children.

A life-long Giants fan, I follow the career of Super Bowl coach Bill Parcells and have maintained devotion to him at his many NFL stops. That made me into a fan of the Jets, New England Patriots, and now Dallas Cowboys. My loyalties may be easily turned, but you canít say they donít run deep. Personally crediting a stout defense with the two Giants championships, I continue to pledge allegiance to Bill Belichick, the G-menís D-coordinator during both Super Bowl campaigns. As a result, I once found myself among the Cleveland Browns boosters and now continue to bask in the ambient glow of the world champ Patriots.

With the recent appointment of Chris Simms to the starting QB position in Tampa Bay, I once again am cheering for the Bucs, and the son of my favorite passer, Phil Simms. Growing up an hour south of Syracuse causes me to champion the Orangemenís Donovan McNabb and fist pump for the Philadelphia Eagles. For no particular reason, I always side with Green Bay. I mean, címon. How can you not love Brett Favre?

I guess I learned to maintain loyalty at the knee of the master during my years as a Chiefs staffer. Carl Peterson is the king of loyal devotion, seconded by his long-time friend and accomplice, Dick Vermeil. It doesnít take a very long look at the Chiefs makeup since 1989 to recognize the nature of the Chiefs staff building. Not necessarily unique to the Chiefs, fidelity is prominent among NFL franchises. Going back to the glory days of the 1975 UCLA Rose Bowl victory and the thrilling 1980ís with the Philadelphia Eagles, Carl and Coach Vermeil formed a lasting business relationship that has proved to be a winning combination. Splitting the atom, each pursued independent career paths, gaining additional trusted allies along the way. The USFL Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars lent a heaping helping of personnel to Carlís inner ring, as did the St. Louis Rams to Vermeilís.

Football is often Ė and accurately Ė portrayed as one tough business. Ruthless slashing of favored veterans, unceremonious dismissal of unproductive coaches, and, in extreme cases, wholesale upheaval of a team to a new more enticing city characterize the modern NFL. But sport still has a soft spot, a heart for those who have been in the trenches with you and survived.

I hope Marty, Cowher, Parcells, Belichick, Dungy and Edwards, Simms, McNabb, and Favre have long and successful careers with their respective clubs. I canít take on another team.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eileen Weir, a native of Binghamton, NY, is a graduate of Le Moyne College (Syracuse, NY) with a Bachelors of Arts degree in English Literature and Communications. A public relations assistant for the Chiefs beginning in 1992, Weir served as manager of public information and media services until 2000. Currently the society columnist for The Examiner newspaper, she writes a weekly column chronicling the social and civic events of Eastern Jackson County.

shaneo69
11-02-2005, 08:46 PM
The most overt and age-tested loyalty is to the Pittsburgh Steelers. As a Chiefs fan, I take credit for the success of Bill Cowher who rose to prominence under as Marty Schottenheimerís Chiefs defensive coordinator and special teamsí coach for Martyís Cleveland Browns teams. Certainly in the head-to-head meetings over the years, Chiefs fans have enjoyed the ďstudent vs. teacherĒ aura that surrounded the Pittsburgh/Kansas City games.

It is time to cut the cord, so to speak. Cowher is now in his fourteenth year with Pittsburgh, currently holding the longest tenure of any head coach in the NFL. Regardless of the facts that Cowher, born and raised in Pittsburgh, is a native son and local icon for the Steelers faithful, Kansas Citians still claim him. Itís time for us to allow Cowher to be his own man, take credit for his success, and get from under our mantle.

WTF is she talking about???

Dartgod
11-02-2005, 08:47 PM
WTF is she talking about???
I think she's related to Duh-nese.

JBucc
11-02-2005, 08:49 PM
None of that made any sense

Phobia
This broad has been writing really stupid shit for the Chiefs for uh, well since her horseshit began appearing recently. Please don't post it here. It all sucks.

Count Alex's Wins
Retarded. I root for the Cowboys because I've been in the state for 13 years, but that's it.

milkman
11-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I think she's related to Duh-nese.

I think you may be right.

I've read this thing and was just left speechless by the inaneness.

stevieray
11-02-2005, 08:53 PM
I think you may be right.

I've read this thing and was just left speechless by the inaneness.

Like eharmony commercials on ESPN

tk13
11-02-2005, 08:54 PM
I've read this thing

There was your first mistake.

I read like half of the first article she did and that's about it. I think at this point shaneo is posting this stuff on the board simply to torture us.

StcChief
11-02-2005, 08:54 PM
First and formost.
They have for the most part never played the game.
Tough to write about something you have never played or have any real insight.

Everytime I see any broad on sidelines or booth (last week in Charger Blue) or other eye candy on the sidelines.
I know why CBS/FOX has these broads on TV.

I has nothing to do with what comes out of their mouth.

siberian khatru
11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
That's got to be one of the most boring, pointless things ever to appear on the Planet.

Well, at least since my last post.

milkman
11-02-2005, 08:56 PM
There was your first mistake.

That's a fact.

kcfanXIII
11-02-2005, 09:02 PM
for the longest time i wanted out of this town. i wanted to move to the coast, live on the beach, and grow my hair out. in a way its still a dream of mine, but something about this town has grown on me. the people here are seriously much nicer than anywhere else, our fans are great, they'd have to be to still root for the royals. and now i'm proud to be a kansas citian.

i think the desire to have a connection with these former personel is a result of the small town mentality of this great city. once anyone moves here, it becomes home, and even if they leave, a part of them stays here and will always call kc home.

i don't think anyone from kc is taking credit for bill cowher, or tony dungy, or herm edwards success, but its like watching your brother win. its a way for a city who hasn't seen a major sports championship in over 20 years, to maintain its collective sports sanity.

Spicy McHaggis
11-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Put me anywhere in the world and I'll still bleed red and gold. I'll bring KC with me wherever I go because I'm proud of my home city. This lady just seems to pick and choose the good from each team and claims them as her own. The guys I feel connected to are the guys that spent their careers here and were KC guys at heart. Brett, Dawson, DT those are the guys that I lay claim to as a Kansas Citian. Not someone that has spent over 13 seasons in an East coast city like Cowher. I mean the guy was here from what 89-92 or something like that?

Brock
11-02-2005, 09:54 PM
It is like something somebody would read on kcchiefs.com.

greg63
11-03-2005, 12:47 AM
WEIR: DIVIDED LOYALTIES
Nov 01, 2005, 3:01:38 AM by Eileen Weir

For most of my life, I rooted for the New York Giants. Period. There was no other team worthy of even my passing interest. Every other team, particularly division rivals, was considered the enemy, their defeat and humiliation bringing me nothing but pure joy.

In my early 20ís I took a job with the Chiefs, moved to Kansas City, and became a fan of a team that had never before entered my consciousness. I justified the betrayal by acknowledging that my two teams played in opposing conferences. I could have an AFC team and an NFC team to boost and still sleep at night.

Now, as I look at the NFL schedule each week I realize there are fewer and fewer teams that I wonít secretly support. What happened? Without question my number one loyalty now is to the Chiefs, and weekly I cheer for whatever scenario benefits the red and gold. But in games that are unlikely to directly impact the post-season hopes of our hometown team, I am shockingly fickle...

This single statement explains the entire article. :rolleyes:

ENDelt260
11-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Bah. I'll never be shocked by a woman being fickle.

greg63
11-03-2005, 12:59 AM
Bah. I'll never be shocked by a woman being fickle.
ROFLROFLROFL

Nope, me either. I just thought I would point out the obvious. Love your avatar, BTW.

luv
11-03-2005, 01:25 AM
I don't see how her writing differs from a man's. If you don't agree with it, then you don't agree with it. You can't make a generalization based upon one person. Don't say women shouldn't write about football. Say this woman shouldn't write about football. There are men who are just as bad.

greg63
11-03-2005, 02:11 AM
I don't see how her writing differs from a man's. If you don't agree with it, then you don't agree with it. You can't make a generalization based upon one person. Don't say women shouldn't write about football. Say this woman shouldn't write about football. There are men who are just as bad.

Good point. I can't tell ya how much I, personally, feel the same way about Jason Whitlock at times.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Who else is with me on turning LJ loose on her? That would solve all sorts of problems.

chagrin
11-03-2005, 08:00 AM
I don't know, Houston has a pretty good sports gal, her name?

Megan Manfull

classic

KCTitus
11-03-2005, 09:02 AM
In short, she's a bandwagon that 'cheers' for whoever's winning at the moment.

Completely retarded.

jAZ
11-03-2005, 09:22 AM
I'll have to dig up that thread from a few years back where folks here discussed their 2nd favorite team and why they root for them.

It seems everyone here is trying to distance themselves and prove their bonafieds as the truest, loyalest Chiefs' fans on the Planet.

But underneath, many of you get the point of that article, because you also cheer for the success of individual players that you liked (either in college or in the pros) that ended up on another team.

Clint in Wichita
11-03-2005, 09:32 AM
I couldn't even make halfway through the article. It was terrible.

I kept thinking, "Dumb broad".

Area 51
11-03-2005, 09:39 AM
The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The above was the only portion of the article that was worth reading.

chagrin
11-03-2005, 09:46 AM
women shouldn't write about football.

you are so correct.

Amnorix
11-03-2005, 09:47 AM
The Boston Globe has a chick covering the Pats, Jackie MacMullan (sp?), who is VERY good. In fact, she and their newcomer, Mike Reiss, are a helluva lot better than Ron Borges, who pathetically failed to step into the late, great Will McDonough's shoes, or Nick Cafardo.

cdcox
11-03-2005, 10:09 AM
When ever a player or coach leaves the Chiefs they are dead to me. It's business, not personal.

siberian khatru
11-03-2005, 10:15 AM
The Boston Globe has a chick covering the Pats, Jackie MacMullan (sp?), who is VERY good. In fact, she and their newcomer, Mike Reiss, are a helluva lot better than Ron Borges, who pathetically failed to step into the late, great Will McDonough's shoes, or Nick Cafardo.

Jackie's been around for years and years. In fact, did she follow Leslie Visser as being one of the first female sportswriters at the Globe?

She can hang with the boys. She ain't no Lisa Olson.

ArrowheadHawk
11-03-2005, 10:18 AM
lynch the bytch