PDA

View Full Version : Man, does Dr. Z hate Gunther....

donkhater
11-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Check out his comments the last few weeks in his power rankings.

Week2
like this team. I like everything about it, and I like the wine from Dick Vermeil's vineyard. That's why I was practically crying during the Raiders game when I saw that pass rush scheme of theirs, and the anemic special teams, and the way they defended Randy Moss -- by giving him a free release and allowing him to range through their secondary like a free-spirited gavokk.

Week 4
Somewhere during the second-half slaughter that was taking place against Philly, I heard Troy Aikman, or maybe it was Joe Buck, say that defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham was so upset with his guys that he wasn't even going to talk to them anymore. Well, I figured, now they've got a chance. Too late, though. His early advice had taken too strong a hold.

Week 7
Yeah, we keep hearing about all the new players who are making their defense so wonderful. Same coordinator, though.

He also had some very harsh words about him in another column he had but I couldn't find it. It's clear, though, that Zimmerman doesn't think Gunther is all that. I guess I've never seen him rip into a coordinator like that before. Something must have happened there.

Rain Man
11-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Hey, no fair creating a new word and then hawking it in your own column. He shouldn't be allowed to use 'gavokk' unless he's used 'disigerent' at least 20 times.

RedThat
11-03-2005, 11:25 AM
I think its pretty convincing for myself to believe Gunther was highly overrated as a co-ordinator coming in here. Majorly overhyped. He just aint a smart coach at all.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-03-2005, 11:27 AM
It's all Kendrell Bell's fault.

HemiEd
11-03-2005, 11:35 AM
I keep cutting it off and it is still too short.

the Talking Can
11-03-2005, 11:42 AM
I hate Gunther too.

chief99
11-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Bring back Robinson.

Valiant
11-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Gunther deserves all the blame he gets so far... The guy does not gameplan well for away games if at all.. Then he will not adjust his gameplan if it is not working at the half... The guy is actually the same as AS when stuff is not working...

Seriously, you would have thought you would put two guys on Gates after the first half last week... Or at least try and hide your blitzes better...The guy has been making me scratch my head all year saying "WTF..."

Deberg_1990
11-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Gunther makes me long for the days of Kurt Schottenheimer. I wonder what Kurt is doing these days?? Him and Gun did beat Denver 4 times in a row in 99-2000

Dartgod
11-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Gunther makes me long for the days of Kurt Schottenheimer. I wonder what Kurt is doing these days?? Him and Gun did beat Denver 4 times in a row in 99-2000
Shhhhh, you'll bring KCJohnny out of hiding.

Otter
11-03-2005, 12:17 PM

Move forward by going backwards, you've just qualified for a front office position at 1 Arrowhead Drive.

BigMeatballDave
11-03-2005, 12:22 PM
I think we were spoiled with the 'D' we had in the 90's. We had some talent on that D. One might wonder if it mattered who was coaching...

htismaqe
11-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Move forward by going backwards, you've just qualified for a front office position at 1 Arrowhead Drive.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

chagrin
11-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Of course, who the hell is Dr Z anyway

Brock
11-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Picasso should probably go back to painting houses.

Cormac
11-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Bring back Robinson.

Can some Mod ban him, please?

Uatu
11-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm not happy with Cunningham either. Our defense is only marginally better than it was under Robinson, IMO

Frazod
11-03-2005, 02:07 PM
I dropped off the Gunther bandwagon after the Denver game. When I (neither a psychic nor a genious) know what plays the Broncos are going to run next (which doesn't take a psychic or a genious to figure out), but Gunther doesn't, it's time for him to go away.

Gun and pretty much all the rest of them can go get stuffed. This team, in its present form, is finished. Time to bring in new blood with the new personnel we'll need, all the way around.

Cochise
11-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Cunningham is definitely not getting it done. He got everything on his list last offseason and the D isn't really any better.

Unless the D makes a miraculous improvement the rest of this season he should be fired.

chagrin
11-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I dropped off the Gunther bandwagon after the Denver game. When I (neither a psychic nor a genious) know what plays the Broncos are going to run next (which doesn't take a psychic or a genious to figure out), but Gunther doesn't, it's time for him to go away.

That's pretty fair - I remember watching that game, and every Donks offensive drives that is shown on TV over here, mostly highlights and saying to myself, WTF is wrong with you, it's so obvious they are running another friggin bootleg, it's the only thing Jake can do that works!

They do run it pretty well though, considering everyone knows they run it most of the time, and still they have success with it

tk13
11-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah, even the Eagles and Pats were getting burned up and down by that bootleg, Denver seems to be doing that to everybody this year and not just us. I get most PO'ed at watching guys like Owens and Moss run free all day...

Chief Henry
11-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Guns defense would be mucho better if we had any kind of talent on the defensive line. We are not getting any type of Pass Rush and thats our problem.

TrickyNicky
11-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Is it true that all the position coaches under Robinson stayed after Robinson left? Aren't the position coaches responsible for helping the players study film, coach technique, and help gameplan?

Armyofme
11-03-2005, 04:42 PM
I wonder if Gunther is having a hard time adjusting to coaching on the sidelines? Before, he could see the whole field and get a sense of what was going on... now he just sees the game from a horrible point of view and looks at stills to make adjustments. I would contend that that would be a challenge for anyone.

Chromatic
11-03-2005, 06:16 PM
I wonder if Gunther is having a hard time adjusting to coaching on the sidelines? Before, he could see the whole field and get a sense of what was going on... now he just sees the game from a horrible point of view and looks at stills to make adjustments. I would contend that that would be a challenge for anyone.

Why did he move to the sidelines? O_o

Pants
11-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Why did he move to the sidelines? O_o

So he could yell at the players.

Rausch
11-03-2005, 06:28 PM
One of these days Gun is going to super-****ing-nazi-hulk out on him and create a short cut between his mouth and his shat spewer.

Not that anyone will notice...

kcirnamffoh
11-03-2005, 06:55 PM
By reading this thread one could think the Chiefs were 1-6. The Chiefs are one of only eight out of 16 teams in the AFC right now that have a realistic shot at the playoffs and there is all this whining going on. My God what does it take to satisfy you people? I come to these forums and all it is is gloom and doom and the sky is falling and bunch of cry babies. Get a grip, folks. The season is not even have over, the Chiefs are 4-3 and are every bit in the thick of the hunt. Wipe those tears, lift that chin, stick out that chest. You all need to be slapped.

You cried for defensive help. You got it. Now give it a chance to come together. Oh I know, I know. All you pot-bellied, remote totin' arm-chair quarterbacks have all the answers do you? Man, if most of you were actually in the game, that is when the Chiefs would really be sorry. All you all seem to see is the negative. I'm not going to be part of this pity party. Leave me out of it. At least let the season play out before you crash the bandwagon.

:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

Pants
11-03-2005, 07:07 PM
By reading this thread one could think the Chiefs were 1-6. The Chiefs are one of only eight out of 16 teams in the AFC right now that have a realistic shot at the playoffs and there is all this whining going on. My God what does it take to satisfy you people? I come to these forums and all it is is gloom and doom and the sky is falling and bunch of cry babies. Get a grip, folks. The season is not even have over, the Chiefs are 4-3 and are every bit in the thick of the hunt. Wipe those tears, lift that chin, stick out that chest. You all need to be slapped.

You cried for defensive help. You got it. Now give it a chance to come together. Oh I know, I know. All you pot-bellied, remote totin' arm-chair quarterbacks have all the answers do you? Man, if most of you were actually in the game, that is when the Chiefs would really be sorry. All you all seem to see is the negative. I'm not going to be part of this pity party. Leave me out of it. At least let the season play out before you crash the bandwagon.

Haha, stupid nub. People were whining even more when we were 9-0.

FringeNC
11-03-2005, 07:29 PM
You cried for defensive help. You got it.

We did? I don't see it. Gunther's return has been a disaster. Despite the upgraded personnel, we are worse than we were under GR. Seriously.

Deberg_1990
11-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Despite the upgraded personnel, we are worse than we were under GR. Seriously.

I wouldnt quite go that far. GRobs defenses couldnt get themselves off the field. They would allow the opposing team to march up and down the field for long drives all day against them. They were however good at getting turnovers, thats basically how they survived. At least we can stop the run now fairly consistantly.

HemiEd
11-03-2005, 07:36 PM
By reading this thread one could think the Chiefs were 1-6.

Welcome to the Planet, it takes a while for us homers to get used to this. Honestly though, the different perspectives are kind of refreshing.

Cochise
11-03-2005, 07:36 PM
We did? I don't see it. Gunther's return has been a disaster. Despite the upgraded personnel, we are worse than we were under GR. Seriously.

We're better against the run.

Before, the other team could run or pass to their heart's content. Now they just have to pass. Not a whole lot of difference in the outcome...

Calcountry
11-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Haha, stupid nub. People were whining even more when we were 9-0.I remember the more astute football observers telling us they weren't sold on the D. Sadly, they were right about it.

Calcountry
11-03-2005, 07:39 PM

:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:The bandwaggon has squeeky wheels, tires with low tread, and in severe need of a paint job.

Skip Towne
11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Does anybody else smell something? I think there's a n00b on this thread.

HemiEd
11-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Haha, stupid nub. People were whining even more when we were 9-0.

I can not even imagine that, really.

Calcountry
11-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Does anybody else smell something? I think there's a n00b on this thread.My Dawg Skip. He can sniff out a n00b like a hound after a bone.

FringeNC
11-03-2005, 07:48 PM
We're better against the run.

Before, the other team could run or pass to their heart's content. Now they just have to pass. Not a whole lot of difference in the outcome...

Bottom 4 teams in yards per play (Nice company we have there.)
Min 5.8
KC 6.0
SF 6.2
Houston 6.3

Good teams are well under 5 yards per play allowed. We are at 6 yards per play. Unbelievably bad. There is no way to sugar coat this train wreck. It is every bit as bad as the GR Ds