PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever own a telescope?

Raiderhader
11-03-2005, 07:28 PM
I've had for as long as I can remember, I don't even know who gave it to me, or for what occasion. I haven't used in the thing for several years, I would from time to time think about it, but had no idea where it was. I finally found it this last week and have it set up now scanning the heavens. It's not a big or real nice one, but still fun to play around with.

Anybody else ever had fun with one of these as a kid, or even now as an adult?

CosmicPal
11-03-2005, 07:30 PM
It's not a big or real nice one, but still fun to play around with.

I bet you say that to all the girls.

JBucc
11-03-2005, 07:30 PM
I have a crappy one and when I look at stuff I just get a big blob of light. I'd like to get one that tracks stuff for you though that would be pretty neat.

mikey23545
11-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Had one when I was around 13 or 14, I guess.

I lived down by Cape Canaveral, and it was around the time of the Apollo missions, so I was already into space and space flight, big time...Me and my little bro spent quite a few nights outside checking out the moon's craters, Jupiter's moons, and Saturn's rings. We both thought we'd be walking on those distant planets someday...

I wish my dreams were still as big as the open skies...

Raiderhader
11-03-2005, 07:41 PM
I bet you say that to all the girls.

Yeah, but they never seem to buy into it.

Skip Towne
11-03-2005, 07:44 PM
The cops came and took mine when the neighbor girls complained.

Hog Rider
11-03-2005, 07:45 PM
I got one for watching Hale Bopp. That was cool.

The best it's for is the moon and planets (not really that great) and the Andromeda galaxy - which is really something to see in full swirl.

Raiderhader
11-03-2005, 07:46 PM
I have a crappy one and when I look at stuff I just get a big blob of light. I'd like to get one that tracks stuff for you though that would be pretty neat.

Pretty much the way mine is. The only thing that it has ever really been good for is viewing the moon, which sadly is not yet viewable over my part of the country.

Raiderhader
11-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Had one when I was around 13 or 14, I guess.

I lived down by Cape Canaveral, and it was around the time of the Apollo missions, so I was already into space and space flight, big time...Me and my little bro spent quite a few nights outside checking out the moon's craters, Jupiter's moons, and Saturn's rings. We both thought we'd be walking on those distant planets someday...

I wish my dreams were still as big as the open skies...

I really need to set my sights on a better telescope...

Skip Towne
11-03-2005, 07:59 PM
I really need to set my sights on a better telescope...
I wonder what a fair to good one costs?

siberian khatru
11-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Had a couple of Sears models in the 1970s; craters of the moon were nice, not much else was visible. I tried to see the comet Kohoutek (sp) in 1974. Anyone remember that stinker?

In the 1980s, a friend's father had a nice Celestron model. One night we set it up in his back yard and were able to see the rings of Saturn. THAT was cool.

I'd like to own another one (I think my boys would enjoy it, too), but from what I gather if you can't spend a few hundred dollars on a really good telescope, don't bother spending $200 on a mediocre one. And I don't know if I'm willing to commit my interest to a $700 or $900 telescope.

Raiderhader
11-03-2005, 08:16 PM
I wonder what a fair to good one costs?

According to Mr. Khatru, close to a grand.

Raiderhader
11-03-2005, 08:17 PM
http://www.telescopes.com/

jspchief
11-03-2005, 08:20 PM
You found your telescope about 1 1/2 weeks too late.

Mars just reached the closest point to Earth that it will reach for the next 14 years. It was visible with the naked eye, but I imagine it would have been awesome through a telescope.

siberian khatru
11-03-2005, 08:30 PM
http://www.scopereviews.com/begin.html

"Let me repeat that one again: Do NOT buy a telescope from your local depart-
ment store, toy store, or from a television commercial. Most scopes found
at the Nature/Science stores at your local mall also fall under this category.
These telescopes are little more than toys and will likely kill your budding
enthusiasm. Buy from a retailer who specializes in serious amateur telescopes.
Some of the better ones are linked off my "links" page. As a general rule, avoid
any telescope that costs less than $300. Please do not e-mail me with something
you have found in a dept store."

Donger
11-03-2005, 08:53 PM
I've had for as long as I can remember, I don't even know who gave it to me, or for what occasion. I haven't used in the thing for several years, I would from time to time think about it, but had no idea where it was. I finally found it this last week and have it set up now scanning the heavens. It's not a big or real nice one, but still fun to play around with.

Anybody else ever had fun with one of these as a kid, or even now as an adult?

I never progressed beyond the 10x50 binocular stage. One of my brothers is at the Mauna Kea (sp?) observatory, I think. He was/is kind of the asshole of the bunch, so no one really knows for sure.

Donger
11-03-2005, 08:59 PM
BTW, try these if you want to explore: http://www.binoculars.com/products/Zhumell_Tachyon_25x100_Astronomical_Binocular_wLocking_Aluminum_Case_18147.html#reviews

siberian khatru
11-03-2005, 09:18 PM
For $359, this seems to get good reviews (not just on Amazon) for a good beginner scope:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00018WIDI/002-5904509-2816818?v=glance&n=502394&v=glance

Phobia
11-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Last winter, I rehabbed a private observatory in the hill country of Texas. The guy for whom I performed the work owned 3 scopes worth more than our cars (in addition to his own 911).

I learned a lot during those 2 weeks. I also learned that I don't give a shit about stars or planets.

chief99
11-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Scopes are expensive.

Tons of places on how silver your own reflecting mirror.

Big ones

Dartgod
11-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Scopes are expensive.

Big ones
Who are you and what did you do with TommyKat?

ExtremeChief
11-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Scopes are expensive.

Big ones

Great info.

Thanks.

:thumb:

royr17
11-04-2005, 10:37 AM
I used too bad when I was a little kid. It was a cheap one.

I wanna get me on that costs 300 dollars now cause you only have to put in what you wanna see and it'll take you right to it.

Biohazard
11-04-2005, 10:56 AM
I just watched Deep Impact again lastnight, and Im not sure I really want to see what is going on up there, but hey if ya get a good one maybe you can save the world!

Raiderhader
11-04-2005, 11:50 AM
I just watched Deep Impact again lastnight, and Im not sure I really want to see what is going on up there, but hey if ya get a good one maybe you can save the world!

That makes me think of one of my favorite movie lines -

Carl: But one more thing, the person that finds her gets to name her, right?

NASA Director: That's right, that's right.

Carl: Then I want to name her Dottie after my wife; she's a vicious life sucking bitch from which there's no escape.

NASA Director: That's, that's sweet, Carl.

Biohazard
11-04-2005, 12:05 PM
That makes me think of one of my favorite movie lines -

Carl: But one more thing, the person that finds her gets to name her, right?

NASA Director: That's right, that's right.

Carl: Then I want to name her Dottie after my wife; she's a vicious life sucking bitch from which there's no escape.

NASA Director: That's, that's sweet, Carl.
Armageddon? That saying reminds me of my ex as well.

Dartgod
11-04-2005, 12:19 PM
I used too bad when I was a little kid. It was a cheap one.

I wanna get me on that costs 300 dollars now cause you only have to put in what you wanna see and it'll take you right to it.
That only works for celestial bodies, III. You punch in "little Suzie's bedroom down the street" and I don't think the telescope is going to know what to do.