PDA

View Full Version : Goin through Emporia?

DaFace
11-04-2005, 09:40 AM
I've posted this in the "Buy/Sell" forum before, but didn't get much of a response, so I'll try it here.

Anybody out there going through Emporia on the way to the game? I'm going alone, as usual, but I'm a poor college student, and I'm looking for someone to share a ride with to save $$$ on gas and parking. So, if you're going, and you wouldn't mind picking up a hitchhiker on the way, let me know. I live right on I-35, so it would take you less than 2 minutes out of your way. I'd chip in for gas and parking.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-04-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm not going to the game and if I was I live about 400 miles on the wrong side of you...... but I was just wondering how things at my alma mater are....? (ESU)

Is Wooster Lake still covered with scum? Is is still called The Hornets Nest?

4th and Long
11-04-2005, 09:45 AM
It might help if you tell everyone you bathe regularly. Just a thought. :p

DaFace
11-04-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm not going to the game and if I was I live about 400 miles on the wrong side of you...... but I was just wondering how things at my alma mater are....? (ESU)

Is Wooster Lake still covered with scum? Is is still called The Hornets Nest?

Well, things probably haven't changed much. Wooster is still toxic (at least as the rumors go, but it doesn't look that bad anymore). But, they've put weird little fountains in the middle to make it look less nasty. At least they're trying.

And, yes, (assuming you're referring to the first floor of the Union), it's still called the Hornet's Nest. I never eat there anymore (cuz they've pushed out Pizza Hut and Subway for crap food), but it's there.

DaFace
11-04-2005, 09:49 AM
It might help if you tell everyone you bathe regularly. Just a thought. :p

And I bathe at least once a month. That better? :eek:

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, things probably haven't changed much. Wooster is still toxic (at least as the rumors go, but it doesn't look that bad anymore). But, they've put weird little fountains in the middle to make it look less nasty. At least they're trying.

And, yes, (assuming you're referring to the first floor of the Union), it's still called the Hornet's Nest. I never eat there anymore (cuz they've pushed out Pizza Hut and Subway for crap food), but it's there.
Wow... we never had Pizza Hut or Subway when I was there. I'm getting old. Is Godfathers Pizza still half a block up Commercial? I used to basically live there. How about Peter Pan Ice Cream? Used to go there then to Peter Pan Park with my girlfriend. Last time I was in town the duck "moat" was trashed. It was disheartening. I had a lot of good times there.

Saulbadguy
11-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Just thought i'd drop in and say Emporia State sucks. Go Bods!

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Just thought i'd drop in and say Emporia State sucks. Go Bods!
WTF is an Icabod anyway?

And I think your avatar is wonderful especially since when I met you you didn't drink.

:D

DaFace
11-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Wow... we never had Pizza Hut or Subway when I was there. I'm getting old. Is Godfathers Pizza still half a block up Commercial? I used to basically live there. How about Peter Pan Ice Cream? Used to go there then to Peter Pan Park with my girlfriend. Last time I was in town the duck "moat" was trashed. It was disheartening. I had a lot of good times there.

Godfather's is still there. It's one of 7 pizza places in town, so I only go there occasionally. Never heard of PPIC. The park is still there (there's a disc golf course there that I play on quite a bit). I have never known the "duck moat" to be anything more than an empty trash pit. Rumor was that they had monkeys in there at some point. Guess that's a bunch of crap?

Saulbadguy
11-04-2005, 09:58 AM
WTF is an Icabod anyway?

And I think your avatar is wonderful especially since when I met you you didn't drink.

Washburn University was established in February 1865 as Lincoln College by a charter issued by the State of Kansas and the General Association of Congregational Ministers and Churches of Kansas. The school was renamed Washburn College in 1868 after receiving a $25,000 donation by Ichabod Washburn, a church deacon and resident of Worcester, Massachusetts.

The school's mascot, the "Washburn Ichabod," is named after the university's benefactor and was drawn by noted graphic artist Bradbury Thompson when he was an undergraduate. Only the men's athletic teams use the Ichabods nickname; the school's women's teams are known as Lady Blues. Washburn is a member of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association, MIAA and The National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II, NCAA.

DaFace
11-04-2005, 10:01 AM
The school was renamed Washburn College in 1868 after receiving a $25,000 donation by Ichabod Washburn, a church deacon and resident of Worcester, Massachusetts.

So your mascot is a church deacon? Boy, that makes he tremble with fear. :rolleyes:

HemiEd
11-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Is Wooster Lake still covered with scum?

I have always been curious when driving through Emporia, is that the water ski pond I see on the East side of I-35?

DaFace
11-04-2005, 10:06 AM
I have always been curious when driving through Emporia, is that the water ski pond I see on the East side of I-35?

Na, Wooster Lake (should be pond) is dead center of the ESU campus. You couldn't see it from the highway. I know the ski place you're talkinga bout, but I don't know anything about it.

HemiEd
11-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Na, Wooster Lake (should be pond) is dead center of the ESU campus. You couldn't see it from the highway. I know the ski place you're talkinga bout, but I don't know anything about it.

Thanks, they also have lake on the other side now with a lot of housing built around it. Seems pretty nice. I used to do a lot of business in Emporia with a guy on old Mopar parts.

chagrin
11-04-2005, 10:16 AM
you know you're not getting a ride from any of these dudes, right? They have successfully taken you off track and you are now a prisoner here

DaFace
11-04-2005, 10:18 AM
you know you're not getting a ride from any of these dudes, right? They have successfully taken you off track and you are now a prisoner here

Eh, I figure if anyone's willing, they'll let me know. Might as well have something interesting to talk about (Emporia interesting...probably not) to keep the thread towards the top!

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Godfather's is still there. It's one of 7 pizza places in town, so I only go there occasionally. Never heard of PPIC. The park is still there (there's a disc golf course there that I play on quite a bit). I have never known the "duck moat" to be anything more than an empty trash pit. Rumor was that they had monkeys in there at some point. Guess that's a bunch of crap?
I never saw any monkeys but who knows. My girlfiend and I would buy a loaf of 89 cent bread and go feed the ducks on weekends. Then we'd go home and do it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Washburn University was established in February 1865 as Lincoln College by a charter issued by the State of Kansas and the General Association of Congregational Ministers and Churches of Kansas. The school was renamed Washburn College in 1868 after receiving a $25,000 donation by Ichabod Washburn, a church deacon and resident of Worcester, Massachusetts.

The school's mascot, the "Washburn Ichabod," is named after the university's benefactor and was drawn by noted graphic artist Bradbury Thompson when he was an undergraduate. Only the men's athletic teams use the Ichabods nickname; the school's women's teams are known as Lady Blues. Washburn is a member of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association, MIAA and The National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II, NCAA.
Thanks for the cut and paste educational seminar.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-04-2005, 10:24 AM
No. Wooster Lake is in the middle of the ESU campus. It's really more of a pond.

Fish
11-04-2005, 10:45 AM
No. Wooster Lake is in the middle of the ESU campus. It's really more of a pond.

It's also rumored that if you kiss someone at midnight on the bridge over Wooster Lake, you'll end up marrying them............. or in my case, you'll marry her, and she'll turn into a raging psychotic bitch, cheat on you, destroy your finances, drive you into alcoholism, and divorce you.

Note to self: Don't kiss girls on the Wooster Lake bridge.... again....

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-04-2005, 10:53 AM
It's also rumored that if you kiss someone on the bridge over Wooster Lake, you'll end up marrying them............. or in my case, you'll marry her, and she'll turn into a raging psychotic bitch, cheat on you, destroy your finances, drive you into alcoholism, and divorce you.

I think I kissed at least two girls on that bridge and didn't marry either. Huh.

KChiefs1
11-04-2005, 11:09 AM

Sounds like we were at ESU about the same time. The Godfathers Pizza on Commercial was great during lunch time. Used to go to FUBAR's around the corner too. Wasn't it the Heidelberg on the corner by Godfathers were everyone would meet up on Friday afternoon to celebrate the beginning of the weekend?

I think of Emporia often because of the great times I had there...

KChiefs1
11-04-2005, 11:11 AM

I played disc golf there a lot too....is The Way still there?

KChiefs1
11-04-2005, 11:14 AM

My nephew lives in Eureka but I think he goes up through Yates Center therefore passing by Emporia.

Fish
11-04-2005, 11:15 AM
I think of Emporia often because of the great times I had there...

FUBARs.... Bruffs.... Turtles $.25 draw "Break the seal" night.... Buckets.... The Wagonwheel.... Pyramid by-the-slice after the bars.... ahhh yes good times indeed...

KChiefs1
11-04-2005, 11:18 AM
It's also rumored that if you kiss someone at midnight on the bridge over Wooster Lake, you'll end up marrying them.............

I bet I kissed 15 chicks on that bridge....

DaFace
11-04-2005, 11:19 AM
I played disc golf there a lot too....is The Way still there?

Not sure about "The Way." Haven't heard of it. If it's something related to disc golf, there are currently three courses: two at Jones Park and one at Peter Pan Park. It's gotten to be a pretty popular sport here.

And tell your nephew to come through Emporia!

DaFace
11-04-2005, 11:20 AM
You guys know Bruffs burned down a couple years back?

Raiderhader
11-04-2005, 11:22 AM

Godfathers' Pizza, Peter Pan Park and ice cream, God, the childhood memories just came flooding back.......

Rain Man
11-04-2005, 11:24 AM
It's also rumored that if you kiss someone at midnight on the bridge over Wooster Lake, you'll end up marrying them............. or in my case, you'll marry her, and she'll turn into a raging psychotic bitch, cheat on you, destroy your finances, drive you into alcoholism, and divorce you.

If you know the rumor and you do it anyway, I wonder if it could be considered a binding contract and you could be liable for palimony.

DaFace
11-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Was J's Carryout around back then? The best hamburgers around, and "J" is quite possibly the coolest guy I've ever met. That's about the only place I'll feel nostalgic about 20 years from now.

Fish
11-04-2005, 11:32 AM
You guys know Bruffs burned down a couple years back?

Whaaaaaaaaaa? Was it rebuilt or anything??

DaFace
11-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Whaaaaaaaaaa? Was it rebuilt or anything??

Well, yes and no. After about a year, "Bruffs Steakhouse" was opened. It's more of a restaurant than a bar, and is located right off of I-35 and Industrial. The lot where Bruffs used to be is vacant, but they haven't sold it or anything (it's basically a bunch of crap with an orange fence around it). The owner is trying to rebuild (I've seen the blueprints), but it's apparently taking a while to get things worked out. Perhaps the Steakhouse was opened to try and raise money for it or something?

Until it burned, that was THE bar here. It was pretty sad when it went down.

Fish
11-04-2005, 11:42 AM
If you know the rumor and you do it anyway, I wonder if it could be considered a binding contract and you could be liable for palimony.

Shhhhhhh.... I was seduced and deceived by alcohol, the ignorance of youth, and evil female pheromones...

ferrarispider95
11-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I live in emporia, and I am going to the game, but I might be headed up on sat. night. NOt sure yet, if I dont your welcome to hitch a ride. Send me your ph. number to ferrarispider95@hotmail.com

ferrarispider95
11-04-2005, 12:15 PM
The advantage of going to ESU is that it best known as a teachers college, so the ratio of females to dudes is very high.

KChiefs1
11-04-2005, 12:27 PM
The advantage of going to ESU is that it best known as a teachers college, so the ratio of females to dudes is very high.

EXACTLY!!!!! :drool: :p

DaFace
11-04-2005, 05:16 PM

I started out my college career at UMR. 3 guys:1 girl :(

I ended up at ESU. 2 girls: 1 guy :thumb:

DaFace
11-04-2005, 10:35 PM
The ride with ferrarispider95 isn't going to work out, so the request is still open.