PDA

View Full Version : BOOMER GRIGSBY - Rookie Diary, Nov 04, 2005, 4:30:25 PM

Donger
11-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Rookie Diary
Week Nine Ė November 6, 2005

Well I had another big game personally at San Diego, but it was really disappointing to walk out of there without a win. We knew going into the game that they had a great return guy in Darren Sproles and we knew we had to lock him down. We knew it would be important to give our defense the best field position possible. Largely we did that. I think I had another three or four special teams tackles.

On Fridays we give out awards to the scout team player of the week on both offense and defense. Iím trying to win that scout team player of the week on defense award every week. But I think itís rigged. I donít think theyíll allow you to win it back-to-back weeks, because Iíve won it twice but never back-to-back. And there were definitely weeks in there that I thought I was the winner and they passed me over. They robbed me and passed me over. So I had to give them some grief for that. They also hand out a cheese award after practice. Kraft sponsors a special teams player of the week award, and I wasboomsd the winner of that award this week. I got a big block of cheese and some groceries. That works out well for me since I donít like to go to the grocery store and end up eating out all the time. They also give away Chiefs Ambassador awards to the offensive and defensive player of the game. And then there is also a Samuri award from Karate Bob to the tough guy and the Hyatt Regency award to a veteran player. So we have lots of awards on Fridays.

But having a big game and getting awards doesnít mean much to any of us when we lose.

Coach Vermeil had told me that I would have gotten the game ball for special teams from the Miami game if Lawrence Tynes hadnít kicked three field goals, including two from beyond 50 yards. Thatís pretty tough to compete with. Heís the type of head coach that is just like everyone says, a family-type of coach. It means the world to you when you have someone like Coach Vermeil or Coach Cunningham walk up to you and say, ďYouíre coming along and playing just the way we thought you would. Keep up the good work.Ē Right after they walk away your chest kind of blows up really big and you feel kind of high and mighty for a minute. Itís like draft day all over again. Coach Vermeil is very good at going out of his way to support you and encourage you when he feels itís warranted.

Halloween! Jared Allen threw a Halloween party at Mayaís Mexican Bistro last Monday night. Jared went as an Ď80s aerobics instructor. There were some outstanding costumes there. Kendrell Bell and his wife were there dressed as The Wolf and Little Red Riding Hood. Eric Hicks and his wife had great outfits as The Incredibles. John Welbourn came as Clark Kent with the suit and single curl of hair down the front.

I decided I needed to go as Dog the Bounty Hunter from the show on A&E. I got rave reviews on the costume thanks to the people at Nigroís Western Store. They took care of me with some nice black, ostrich-skinned boots that I can sport around KC. I think the thing Iím most proud of is I got one of those giant belt buckles that says ďCowboy UpĒ on it.

I also got some black Wranglers there and a black vest. I wore a white Under Armour shirt with some workout gloves, a black leather strap around my biceps, handcuffs and cigarettes coming out of my pocket. I also had a great blonde mullet and some cheesy sunglasses. Everyone told me all I was missing was the blonde bombshell wife of his. I flew solo, but it was a great evening. Iím going to try to get a picture up here with our costumes on so you can see us.

Iíd also like to mention at this point that Jared Allen finished the first book of his life. And Iím talking a real book, not a Dr. Suess book or anything. There were no pictures in this one. He finished Angels and Demons on the plane back from San Diego. I was very proud of him and I almost threw a party for him just to honor that moment.

I also got to spend a little time in Lawrence, Kansas and have started getting more familiar with my surroundings. Iíve now realized that Iím only 20 minutes from the University of Kansas. I think Iím going to have to be a Jayhawks basketball fan. I know Iím going to lose some fans over that, but youíll all just have to bear with me. I kind of liked Kansas a little bit when I lived in Illinois and I just havenít been to Columbia, Missouri yet because itís a little longer drive. So Iím a little biased based on location, but Iím open to all teams and college towns.

Iíve also realized that Iím not really into the whole buying new, expensive cars thing that a lot of the players do. I got a great truck from my hometown where I got an unbelievable deal with the John Davis dealership. But Iím online now looking for a late Ď60s-early Ď70s pink Cadillac convertible. Jared Allen has a blue one, but I want one in pink. There was this Dennis Leary song called, ďIím an aóóóĒ and itís very interesting. Great song, but in it he says he wants a Ď67 pink Cadillac Eldorado with whale skin hubcaps, hot leather cow interior and big baby seal eyes for headlights. So thatís what Iíve been looking for. If anyone has one that they are looking to sell, let me know. I figured that would look kind of squirrelly to see me driving in a pink Caddy with my hair blowing in the wind.

I also got a chance to be an honorary coach for the sponsorship flag football game with Price Chopper. That was a blast. I hope to do that every year. Price Chopper bused in their employees and they got to play a game on our practice field. I coached the Red team Ė the better team Ė and Lional Dalton was on the other sideline with the White team. The game actually ended in a tie, which is a bummer but that game got intense. People got really competitive and everybody had fun. When we would score touchdowns I would sprint onto the field and do like the air-guitar or the sprinkler. I was waiting for our lastboomerjersey touchdown because I was going to run over in front of Lional and do the worm. But we never got that chance. It was a really cool event and everyone had a great time. Next though I want to help spice it up with intense music and water bottles, oxygen tanks, tape, the whole deal.

Now, just because it took me so long to mention it doesnít mean itís not as important butÖ itís RAIDER WEEK! As intense as all the games are, divisional opponents Ė specifically the Raiders Ė turns it up a notch. I love the opportunity to flat out say I hate them. Weíve got a sign up in training room that says ďRaider WeekĒ just to remind us of the rivalry that has lasted so long. I think the Raiders might have some vengeance toward me after the last game when I did the Tomahawk Chop on national TV and rubbed our win into the fans. But hopefully Iíll be a Chief for a long time so we can just start our complete hatred relationship early in my career.

Itís going to be great to be back to Arrowhead after the tough loss in San Diego. It gives us such an advantage to be in front of all you fans. Like I said a couple weeks ago, all 80,000 strong of you make a big impact on how we do and weíre going to need you again this Sunday. Letís make it LOUD!!!

Canít wait to hear you Sunday,

Boomer

Thig Lyfe
11-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Iíd also like to mention at this point that Jared Allen finished the first book of his life. And Iím talking a real book, not a Dr. Suess book or anything. There were no pictures in this one. He finished Angels and Demons on the plane back from San Diego. I was very proud of him and I almost threw a party for him just to honor that moment.

Heh heh heh.

Skip Towne
11-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey this kid is smart. He chose the Jayhawks without visiting Columbia. The way it should be.

Reaper16
11-04-2005, 05:31 PM
This dude is hilarious. It's so refreshing to see an athelete with a damned personality able to let it loose. We have a few of those types. (Boomer, Jared Allen, Lionel Dalton, etc.)

CosmicPal
11-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Well, he just scored himself some free KU apparel.

Chief Henry
11-04-2005, 05:41 PM
I'd like to party with this guy.

Katipan
11-04-2005, 05:45 PM
I'd like to buy him a pink car

PunkinDrublic
11-04-2005, 05:54 PM
This guy seems like the most down to earth athlete as I've ever seen.

HemiEd
11-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Wow, he hates the Raiders, Loves the Jayhawks and wants an old car. It can not get much better than that.

Skip Towne
11-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Wow, he hates the Raiders, Loves the Jayhawks and wants an old car. It can not get much better than that.
Don't you have an old Cadillac laying around somewhere?

HemiEd
11-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Don't you have an old Cadillac laying around somewhere?

ROFL No GMs, but I am going to look at a car a little older and just as big in 30 minutes. 68 Chrysler New Yorker, 2 door with 15k miles. It is in an estate, I have no idea what I would do with it. Maybe paint it pink?

Rain Man
11-04-2005, 06:31 PM

(Chuckle.)

HemiEd
11-04-2005, 09:50 PM
(Chuckle.)

I am still trying to fully develop that paragraph in my mind.

StcChief
11-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Boomer is real down to earth, wants to be a good NFL player

He doesn't take it for granted.

Means what he says and can for complete sentences and good paragraphs. Golly gee he learned something else in school.

Keep playing hard and the rest will come to you.

HemiEd
11-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Boomer is real down to earth, wants to be a good NFL player

He doesn't take it for granted.

Means what he says and can for complete sentences and good paragraphs. Golly gee he learned something else in school.

Keep playing hard and the rest will come to you.

agree, Brian was right about this kid from the beginning.

KChiefsQT
11-05-2005, 12:05 AM
I flew solo, but it was a great evening.

:drool:
I wished on a star.

UTChief
11-05-2005, 09:06 AM
I found him a car he would have to get it restored and painted.http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Details.cfm?VID=38380

Fairplay
11-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Boomer's cool.

jynni
11-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Like I said a couple weeks ago, all 80,000 strong of you make a big impact on how we do and weíre going to need you again this Sunday. Letís make it LOUD!!!
And the secret identity of ArrowheadLouder has been revealed.

Katipan
11-05-2005, 11:59 AM
And the secret identity of ArrowheadLouder has been revealed.

I've never been more depressed than at this moment.

Mr. Kotter
11-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Boy, it's easy to cheer for this kid. I sure hope he comes on over the next year.

Mr. Kotter
11-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Well, he just scored himself some free KU apparel.

Boatloads of it, hopefully.

Screw Mizzou..... ROFL

Thig Lyfe
11-05-2005, 12:09 PM
I've never been more depressed than at this moment.

Huh?