PDA

View Full Version : Prisco's take on Herm Edwards...

shaneo69
11-04-2005, 10:39 PM
The two New York NFL coaches are a contrast in the way you discipline your team, with Giants coach Tom Coughlin doing it the right way. Coughlin came in to New York and quickly set up rules and regulations for his players to follow. Many groaned and moaned, but they knew where they stood. The first year in 2004 was tough. But Coughlin has eased up a bit, and as the Giants have won, the players have gradually accepted his rigid ways. By contrast, Jets coach Herm Edwards was considered a players coach. He was disciplined but didn't rule with an iron fist. Now comes word this past week that Edwards tightened up his ship, telling players they should talk about nothing but football while at the team's facility. Memo to Herm: As a parent you should know that you can't be lax with your kids and then try to toughen up. They won't respond. It's always easier to go the other way. Start out tough and then ease up. Jets general manager Terry Bradway said this week that Edwards was not in trouble and should be back next year. But Edwards is said to be open to the idea of going somewhere else if given the chance. Kansas City, if Dick Vermeil retires, is a possibility. If he does go elsewhere, Edwards can't start loose and then expect to get tough. One other thing that angers his players: Edwards is too close to some, including Chad Pennington. You can't fraternize with your players. That's a coaching no-no.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9021398/2

Dunit35
11-04-2005, 10:42 PM
great another coach that dreams of dating the "star" QB.

tk13
11-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Really though, if your team doesn't win, Coughlin's way doesn't work any better at all. Just alienates the team all the same. I'm just not a big Coughlin fan.

shaneo69
11-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Really though, if your team doesn't win, Coughlin's way doesn't work any better at all. Just alienates the team all the same. I'm just not a big Coughlin fan.

Yeah, Prisco's just jumping on the Giants bandwagon. I'm sure he was one of the guys ripping Coughlin last year when TC was trying to lay down the law. Coughlin's methods will wear thin pretty quickly. He might last a couple years only because Eli will win games for him, similar to how Jim Mora lasted for awhile with the Colts riding Peyton's coattails.

Reaper16
11-04-2005, 11:01 PM
"One other thing that angers his players: Edwards is too close to some, including Chad Pennington. You can't fraternize with your players. That's a coaching no-no."

Sounds an awful lot like Vermiel.

nychief
11-04-2005, 11:14 PM
the Giants had the same record at this time last year... lets wait and hold judgement.

Crow
11-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Herm, buddy, if yer lookin' for work, call me.

-Al Davis