PDA

View Full Version : Teicher - KC hurting with injuries to starters - Roaf has a TEAR in his hamstring

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2005, 05:01 AM
:banghead:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/13086978.htm

KC hurting with injuries to starters

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

As they prepared for a division game with huge implications, the Chiefs got a piece of good news Friday when Trent Green returned to practice — and to his place at starting quarterback. That’s where he will be for Sunday’s game against Oakland at Arrowhead Stadium.

On the other hand, the Chiefs’ injury list was beginning to look like their first-team depth chart. Left tackle Willie Roaf won’t play Sunday, while the status of halfback Priest Holmes and cornerbacks Patrick Surtain and Dexter McCleon was very shaky.

In more ways than one, this game will be for mere survival. Either the 3-4 Raiders or the 4-3 Chiefs will be banished to the back of the AFC West pack with a loss. And although the teams are always motivated to play each other, both are severely hobbled as they struggle to stay in the playoff race.

It’s to the point that neither team may even recognize the other, even though they played only seven weeks ago. As many as six Chiefs starters won’t play Sunday — or will make it into uniform only through a game-time decision. The Raiders have three starters out and three others who are injured and may not play.

Roaf again missed practice Friday and revealed he has a tear in his hamstring, an injury that could put him out longer than the three games he missed earlier this season. He also was involved in an auto accident Friday on Interstate 435 in Kansas but said he wasn’t injured.

Holmes also didn’t practice and was downgraded to doubtful on the official injury report filed by the Chiefs. Coach Dick Vermeil held out the slim possibility Holmes could play as a backup to Larry Johnson. Surtain was limited to individual drills and will be a game-time decision; McCleon was also limited to individual drills and is unlikely to be available.

Defensive tackle Ryan Sims is out, and wide receiver Samie Parker is not expected to play.

As for the Raiders, defensive back Charles Woodson, who helped shut down Tony Gonzalez the last time the teams met, is out; and wide receiver Randy Moss, who caught five passes for 127 yards in the previous game, is questionable.

Green’s presence means the Chiefs will again lean on him to spark the team. He missed practice Wednesday to attend the funeral of his father in St. Louis and didn’t return to Kansas City until after practice had finished Thursday, leading to questions of whether or not he would start.

“There was never any doubt in my mind I would play,” Green said Friday. “There were a lot of things that needed to be done with the service being on Wednesday. There were still a lot of unanswered questions I had to take care of for my mom, my brother and sister. There were a lot of family decisions that had to be made that none of us were prepared for because this was so unexpected.”

Upon his return, Green asked that game plans and practice video be delivered to his Johnson County home so he could study into the late hours Thursday night.

“I don’t want to let all the guys down that are in the locker room, all the coaches and the team in general,” he said. “I feel like I’ll be ready to play. I was cramming last night trying to get prepared as much as possible. I came out here and felt my timing was fine, and my understanding of the game plan this week is good.

“My preparation will be a lot different this week from a normal week. Usually I’m winding down by this time.”

Vermeil had hesitated Thursday when asked whether Green would start against the Raiders. He said he wanted to see what Green’s frame of mind was first.

“I trust him because I know how unselfish he is, and if he didn’t think he could step in and run our game plan, then he would tell me,” Vermeil said Friday. “His arm was fresh and alive today, and he threw the ball accurately, so we’ll go with Trent Green.”

In Roaf’s place, right tackle Jordan Black will start on the left side Sunday. John Welbourn will start at right tackle.

At cornerback, the Chiefs used Eric Warfield and Dewayne Washington as starters in practice Friday. Benny Sapp was the nickel back, and safety William Bartee was used as the fourth cornerback. As they prepared to expand their roles, they anticipated seeing some new faces on the Raiders’ side, too.

“They have so many young guys out there,” Green said. “That’s good and bad. The good is they’re young enough to just fly all over and make plays. The good from our standpoint is that maybe we can get them out of position because they’re new to it. Maybe we can create some chaos in their movements with our shifting and movement.”

The prize is continued life in the division race. A win keeps Oakland alive. The Raiders face the first-place Broncos next week at the Oakland Coliseum.

The Chiefs would pull within a game of the 6-2 Broncos, who are off this week. They get their home game against Denver in early December.

“It’s a huge game,” Black said. “This game kind of keeps us ahead of the pack. We’d still be behind Denver, but they’ll still be within reach with a win and we’d stay ahead of Oakland and San Diego.”

A one-game deficit in the division for the Chiefs seems to be infinitely more manageable than two games. The Chiefs have winnable road games the next two weeks against the Buffalo Bills and Houston Texans.

The finishing schedule is more difficult, but four of the last six games are at Arrowhead.

“Halfway through the season at 5-3 would be a real plus for us or anybody in this league today,” Vermeil said. “There are so many different ways to lose a football game. If we could or anybody else in the league could make the turn at 5-3, they have to feel good because the next eight games drop right off the calendar. They go by fast.”

The Raiders have been a miserable road team the last few seasons, but they took the Chiefs to the end at Arrowhead before succumbing in each of the last two seasons. They also unloaded much of that road burden by winning last week in Tennessee.

“This game will be in a more hostile environment than it was against Tennessee,” Raiders quarterback Kerry Collins said. “But we haven’t been good on the road around here since I’ve been here. I think with the way the game went, there were some tough plays and things that we overcame that in the past, I’m not sure we would have been able to.”

Miles
11-05-2005, 05:03 AM
Ugh, F*cking torn hamstring. Guss we might have to deal with Back for more than a few weeks.

Mecca
11-05-2005, 05:38 AM
We're pretty much screwed now. We're gonna have giant gaping holes on both sides of our line.....this could be real bad.

Fruit Ninja
11-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Just have to deal with it. Time for Black and Welbourne to step up. lol I dont think Black can though. i think Welbourne can.

Biohazard
11-05-2005, 06:05 AM
What's the deal with Sampson???? IMO he's better than Welbourn.

Fruit Ninja
11-05-2005, 06:07 AM
We havent had a good look at sampsion to even determine anything like that. He has barely played in a regular season game. What are you basing your comments on?

Miles
11-05-2005, 06:11 AM

As far as i now he is injured again.

Dave Lane
11-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Arghhh!! @%^&$$&**&(*@&*&%*&*&#)(@!!!!!!

Dave

the Talking Can
11-05-2005, 06:34 AM
there's always next season...

MichaelH
11-05-2005, 06:36 AM

I keep saying that :banghead:

Mecca
11-05-2005, 06:45 AM
As far as i now he is injured again.

This is why Sampson went in the 7th round, he had questions about his injury history.

Braincase
11-05-2005, 06:50 AM
That's that. Now Tony G's prediction that we won't lose in the first round of the playoffs will come true. You gotta be there for that to happen.

the Talking Can
11-05-2005, 06:54 AM
seriously, this is depressing.....

Mecca
11-05-2005, 06:58 AM
The 2005 Kansas City Chiefs, the team that never was. We've yet to have our starting lineup on both sides of the ball play a game.

tomahawk kid
11-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Allow me a brief moment to vent........

WTF?

Seriously. Did he tear it last game or has he been playing with it torn? He finished the game in San Diego didn't he? Did he tear it in practice?

What a crock of s#it.

I f#cking hate seasons like this. It's one thing to lose because you're not good enough, it's another because half your god damned team is in the trainers room.

The good news is that a loss tomorrow will pretty much kill any chance we have at the division and we can all stop worrying about the playoffs.

This whole "Vermiel Era" has been a f#cking joke.

Thank You.

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Relax, dipshits.

We beat the Raiders IN OAKLAND without Roaf and without Warfield.

Mecca
11-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Relax, dipshits.

We also had Surtain........hadn't had a team make our line look like a joke to the rest of the league. Oh and we also got a PI call that the league apoligized to the Raiders for. Add in that the Raiders offense is playing alot better now then it was then. Yea, I'm not very confident at this point in time about this game.

tomahawk kid
11-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Relax, dipshits.

DIPSHITS?

You'd better kiss a woman before you start throwing around that kind of smack, son.

BTW, Norv Turner had as much to do with us winning in Oakland as we did. It LOOKS like the Raiders and Turner might have their shit together, which is why I'm concerned.

Plus, the whole injury thing with Roaf is so maddening, it makes me want to break something.

HemiEd
11-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Damn this blows, going so long without injuries to the OL caught up with us. I do not understand why Black goes to Left Tackle when he can not even play Right Tackle. I look forward to someone explaining that to me, please.

tomahawk kid
11-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Damn this blows, going so long without injuries to the OL caught up with us. Am I supposed to understand why Black goes to Left Tackle when he can not even play Right Tackle? I look forward to someone explaining that to me.

Apparently he's better than Bober, which is sad.

HemiEd
11-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Apparently he's better than Bober, which is sad.

Maybe something will *click* and he will be good tomorrow, I hope.

tomahawk kid
11-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Maybe something will *click* and he will be good tomorrow, I hope.

Yeah, MAYBE.

I keep thinking that Marcus Spears sure would be handy to have around right now.

Mecca
11-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Yeah, MAYBE.

I keep thinking that Marcus Spears sure would be handy to have around right now.

I think Marcus Spears is sitting on his couch eating nachos. He got cut by the Browns and no one picked him up.

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2005, 07:28 AM
We also had Surtain........hadn't had a team make our line look like a joke to the rest of the league. Oh and we also got a PI call that the league apoligized to the Raiders for. Add in that the Raiders offense is playing alot better now then it was then. Yea, I'm not very confident at this point in time about this game.

Surtain's a game time decision and will play, in my opinion.

Who cares how the Raiders are playing? They beat a couple of scrub teams, big deal.

This is Oakland's second straight road game. They haven't won back to back road games since the YEAR 2000.

Bob Dole
11-05-2005, 07:32 AM

The mantra for Chiefs fans since 1970.

HemiEd
11-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Yeah, MAYBE.

I am trying very hard to remain positive but I have visions of Trent running for his life again tomorrow.

Mecca
11-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Derrick Burgess is also in the top 5 in the league in sacks........this game just looks bad right now from my point of view.

JBucc
11-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Crap we're ****ed :banghead:

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Derrick Burgess is also in the top 5 in the league in sacks........this game just looks bad right now from my point of view.

Yep, Burgess just KILLED US in Oakland. :rolleyes:

Mecca
11-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Yep, Burgess just KILLED US in Oakland. :rolleyes:

If you really aren't seeing what's happening here, I can't open your eyes for you. This has been a shitty week for the Chiefs in general nothing has been good. Everything keeps getting worse and worse, thinking the Chiefs are just going to walk in on Sunday and win this game cause it's the Raiders. Is being extremely short sighted on your part.

Thig Lyfe
11-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Dammit.

HemiEd
11-05-2005, 08:13 AM
This has been a shitty week for the Chiefs in general nothing has been good. Everything keeps getting worse and worse, thinking the Chiefs are just going to walk in on Sunday and win this game

This is where the profile has to kick in.

Bowser
11-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Jesus, what a mess. I appreciate gochief's spirit, and want to echo it, but ugh.

I guess it's time to loosen Trent's playcalling restrictions at the line. In fact, we should just go early 90's Buffalo Bills, and stay in the no-huddle the entire game.

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2005, 08:19 AM
I appreciate gochief's spirit, and want to echo it, but ugh.

It only becomes a problem if Roaf is out for an extended period of time. I'm not worried about it for this Sunday. Nobody was bitching about Black after the first Oakland game.

headsnap
11-05-2005, 08:24 AM

and even without the PI call we would have still won that game. :shake:

Bowser
11-05-2005, 08:26 AM
It only becomes a problem if Roaf is out for an extended period of time. I'm not worried about it for this Sunday. Nobody was bitching about Black after the first Oakland game.

Oh, I agree about Black. That was probably the best he played all year. But personally, I don't expect Roaf back this year. There is only one thing that can heal a torn hamstring - rest.

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Oh, I agree about Black. That was probably the best he played all year. But personally, I don't expect Roaf back this year. There is only one thing that can heal a torn hamstring - rest.

They said it had a tear, not that it was completely torn.

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2005, 08:28 AM
and even without the PI call we would have still won that game. :shake:

I can't believe someone is bitching about the refs in favor of the Raiders.
ROFL

Bowser
11-05-2005, 08:30 AM
They said it had a tear, not that it was completely torn.

Good. Or better, anyway.

Mecca
11-05-2005, 08:36 AM
A partial tear of a muscle for a 35 year old man could be a 6-8 week injury.

I didn't say we won the game because the officials blew a call, I was just pointing that out. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Chiefs get alot of penalties this week. Officials sometimes like to try to even things up like that.

Also Jordan Black is actually getting worse as the season progresses.

nychief
11-05-2005, 08:44 AM

are you shitting me? you better kiss a woman before you start throwing that shit around.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-05-2005, 08:44 AM
they won in Oakland without Roaf, Welbourne and Warfield. Oakland is missing players that Adam "the glass is half empty & dirty" Teicher doesn't mention.

nychief
11-05-2005, 08:47 AM
As for all the bitching... Every good football team overcomes injuries - we either do, or we don't. For the record, I believe that LJ is going to rush for 200 yards and a couple of TD and we win by 10 points. I also think that surtain will play - he is man.

No excuses.

BigRedChief
11-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Relax, dipshits.

Listen to the ole wise ones advise.

We can beat th Raiders, Bills and Texans without Roaf or we ain't going anywhere in the playoffs anyway.

Surtain didn't have a very good game against Oakland last time.

Oakland's secondary sucks and they don't have a single person that can cover Tony G. Little short slants, screens to Tony G all day and we will be fine.

nychief
11-05-2005, 08:54 AM
LJ left, LJ right, LJ up the middle.

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2005, 09:03 AM
are you shitting me? you better kiss a woman before you start throwing that shit around.

ROFL

jspchief
11-05-2005, 09:13 AM
There's a dark shadow leaning over Green's consecutive start streak.

This may not keep us from winning this game, but the loss of roaf for 3+ weeks will hurt at some point. Someone else said "good teams overcome injuries". The problem is, we don't have a good team. We have a mediocre team that we were hoping would somehow get better in the second half of the season.

Go ahead and call me chicken little. This season is f*cked.

jiveturkey
11-05-2005, 09:19 AM
I hope that we run a lot of empty backfield pass plays that take forever to develop.

splatbass
11-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Everything keeps getting worse and worse, thinking the Chiefs are just going to walk in on Sunday and win this game cause it's the Raiders. Is being extremely short sighted on your part.

And thinking we are automatically going to lose because a couple of starters are out is short sighted on your part.

Here is an idea....why don't we let them play the game before we pronounce it a loss?

Nzoner
11-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Dammit!!The one time I agree to take a Raider fan to this game,please football gods smile upon us for at least this weekend.

acasas4
11-05-2005, 09:51 AM
I really don't give a sh*t who's out. I'm tired of excuses. These guys had better f*cking step up and play hard against oakland or I'll, I'll, oh who am I sh*tting, we're f*cked. :cuss:

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Oakland is missing Derrick Gibson and Charles Woodson for an extended period.

How badly would this board be freaking out if Patrick Surtain and Sammy Knight were out for multiple weeks? It would be off the charts pandemonium.

the Talking Can
11-05-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm not concerned..we're 7-0

you god damn bandwagoners....

BigChiefFan
11-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Bad news on the Roaf front. Not what I was wanting to read this morning regarding him. Jordan Black better step up big.

nychief
11-05-2005, 10:08 AM
There's a dark shadow leaning over Green's consecutive start streak.

This may not keep us from winning this game, but the loss of roaf for 3+ weeks will hurt at some point. Someone else said "good teams overcome injuries". The problem is, we don't have a good team. We have a mediocre team that we were hoping would somehow get better in the second half of the season.

chicken little.

nychief
11-05-2005, 10:09 AM
oh by the way, who is the best Left Tackle prospect coming out of college?

jspchief
11-05-2005, 10:14 AM
oh by the way, who is the best Left Tackle prospect coming out of college?D'brickashaw Ferguson from Virginia. And we're going to have to lose a lot of games to get him.

siberian khatru
11-05-2005, 10:16 AM
We have a mediocre team that we were hoping would somehow get better in the second half of the season.

[burp] Yep.

siberian khatru
11-05-2005, 10:16 AM
D'brickashaw Ferguson from Virginia. And we're going to have to lose a lot of games to get him.

Well, we can start the "the season is fugged, let's start losing so we can improve our draft chances" threads.

StcChief
11-05-2005, 10:30 AM
The mantra for Chiefs fans since 1970.

Lose this one at home....time to start thinking complete rebuild
Oline

Dline switch to 3-4 D etc.

Roaf out torn hammy...he probably retires. IR him

Black has big shoes to fill maybe he will catch on now against some weaker teams.

Uatu
11-05-2005, 10:34 AM

Wasn't that the game where he got three holding penalties? Two on the same series IIRC?

I was sure thinking he looked like dogpoo

Warrior5
11-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Bad news on the Roaf front. Not what I was wanting to read this morning regarding him. Jordan Black better step up big.

OUT
DT Ryan Sims (Foot) nothing new; just have to continue dealing with no pressure in the middle

DOUBTFUL RB Priest Holmes (Concussion) not good, but LJ's chance to back up his words with action
FS Jerome Woods (Hamstring) wash

QUESTIONABLE CB Dexter McCleon (Groin) wash
WR Samie Parker (Knee) wash
T Willie Roaf (Hamstring) BAD, but we've dealt with this before
T Kevin Sampson (Shoulder) nothing new
G Will Shields (Knee) BAD, but I think he'll play
CB Patrick Surtain (Knee) by far, the biggest impact; hope he can play
CB Eric Warfield (Hip) he'll play

It's the Raiders, at Arrowhead, with a chance to start a 3 game win streak. Even with the injury report, I'm confident in the Chiefs.

FringeNC
11-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Despite Roaf not being in there, the OL can't play any worse than it did last week at SD.

It's time for us to reconcile that we can't win anymore opening op gaping holes on the O-line. It's time to let Trent Green completely take over this team. Instead of play action, max-protect schemes, I say send out enough receivers and rely on Green's quick reads, accuracy and decision-making. We're gonna have to put up tons of points the rest of the season because Gunther is worse than GR, and that is not gonna happen running the football with this O-line.

tomahawk kid
11-05-2005, 11:03 AM

:)

F#cker.

Sure-Oz
11-05-2005, 01:34 PM
oh shit, not good, i dont know what to expect from this team now, jeez : (

HemiEd
11-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Chicken Little!

Tribal Warfare
11-05-2005, 01:50 PM
With their first pick of the 2006 NFL Draft the Kansas City Chiefs selects OT Marcus McNeil/Jonathon Scott

Spicy McHaggis
11-05-2005, 02:26 PM
This is why Sampson went in the 7th round, he had questions about his injury history.

No it wasn't. He started in basically every game his junior and senior year. Where did you get that? The reason he went in the 7th was that he was an underrated tackle pure and simple.

BigRock
11-05-2005, 03:14 PM
This is a DV quote on Roaf from an AP article circulating yesterday:

"There are some guys, if they tried all their life to pull a hamstring they couldn't do it. He is so explosive. When he unloads or pulls, there's just an explosive move through his whole body which puts a tremendous pressure on a hamstring, let alone a hamstring that's been pulled. The MRI shows he hasn't re-pulled it. But whether he can play on Sunday, it's very doubtful."

If he hasn't re-injured the hammy, then it just hurts. Maybe he tweaked it during practice. Teicher is acting like it's a new injury, saying Roaf could miss even more time than he already did. But if an MRI showed he didn't re-pull it, it's not a new injury. If Roaf has a tear then he's had it from day one and he's already played through it.

milkman
11-05-2005, 08:24 PM
there's always the season after Carl retires...

Fixed your post for you, Can.

RINGLEADER
11-05-2005, 10:02 PM
:sigh:

TRR
11-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Most of this injury crap is directly related to Vermeil not working the players hard enough in Training Camp. If you were 30 and above, you hardly saw the field in River Falls.

Early on, I thought it would go either way....The strategy would pay off with fresher veterans late in the season, or a slew of injuries throughout the season. Right now, it's looking like option #2.

Frazod
11-06-2005, 12:36 AM
I look at it this way - if we lose tomorrow, it'll increase our draft position. We'll be needing the best offensive lineman available.

F#ck.

:cuss:

:banghead:

:deevee:

TinyEvel
11-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Man, It's killing me to see all these people writing the Chiefs off. Nobody even mentioned the obvious potential gripe with the lack of Roaf and whether they'll go bak to holding Tony back to protect Trent again. I hope not. I Think he'd be more useful to run a few steps and turn around and catch the ball.
Amid all this speculation, one thing I know for sure. It's gonna be a great game. Will probably come down to some random weird plays like miscues or take-aways or some controversial penalty.
I live in L.A. and hate the Raiders, so I'll be at the sports bar dishing out the pain every time we score. I just hope the swarms of Traider fans out here don't shank me.

Logical
11-06-2005, 01:28 AM
The mantra for Chiefs fans since 1970.Beginning to believe we will beat the Bosox record for futility.:cuss:

Logical
11-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Well, we can start the "the season is fugged, let's start losing so we can improve our draft chances" threads.I have faith I will know when we have reached that point. We are not there yet, but we don't get some fast damn recoveries on the injury front and some luck we will get there.

joesomebody
11-06-2005, 09:21 AM
That whole lose to get a better draft thing is pointless for KC...

We always fug up our drafts. Well... I guess LJ turned out pretty good, DT was an excellent pick, gonzo was a good pick, and DJ is turning out pretty good so far.

Ryan Sims and Jr. Siavii come to mind though. And before anyone tells me that Ryan Sims could save the season, go to hell.

I have no doubts that this team can turn it around and make the play offs. Will a win today be easy? No but we can do it. Buck up gentlemen, and stop with the doomsday shit... Have confidence and get your game face on, imagine if all of our players were down in the dumps like you guys.

So we have a few injuries, well this is an aging team and we need our backups and up and coming stars to grow a pair and show the Oakland Scum what we're made of.

Joe out.