PDA

View Full Version : Did you learn anything in college?

Skip Towne
11-05-2005, 07:58 AM
If so, do you use what you learned in your present job?

HolmeZz
11-05-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm in the process of learning. Hopefully.

Mecca
11-05-2005, 08:02 AM
I learned that I didn't need to go to college.

Hoover
11-05-2005, 08:02 AM
While in college I thought I learned a lot. Once in the real world I have come to the conclusion that nothing I learned in college is really helping me with my business.

Skip Towne
11-05-2005, 08:03 AM
I learned that I didn't need to go to college.
Do you use that knowledge in your preent job?

HolmeZz
11-05-2005, 08:13 AM
I learned that just because a school is 75% female doesn't mean they're all gonna be hot.

Extra Point
11-05-2005, 08:14 AM
It's not what you get out of school, it's what you take with you. Though I got an econ. degree, I chose to take math (1 class short of a minor), physics, chem, and accounting as electives. I got way more out of those other classes.

Herzig
11-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Yes.

Skip Towne
11-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Yes.
All you learned was the way to the golf course.

Chiefnj
11-05-2005, 08:41 AM
I learned that in any environment that math has to be used - sit next to an Asian kid.

Katipan
11-05-2005, 08:52 AM
I've got a Pi Alpha girl in my Sigma Alpha bed. And when she goes down she gives me Pi Alpha head.

Nzoner
11-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Even though I didn't make it through college(if I was ever to return I'd be a 9th term freshman)I got a degree in socilizing and have used it everyday for 20+ years in my career of sales.

dirk digler
11-05-2005, 08:57 AM
While in college I thought I learned a lot. Once in the real world I have come to the conclusion that nothing I learned in college is really helping me with my business.

Exactly. I have 2 Bachelor Degrees, one in Criminal Justice and one in Computer Information Services and NOTHING I learned in school helped me for any of my jobs.

jspchief
11-05-2005, 08:59 AM
I learned how to operate a fake ID business, which helped me in building/operating my current business.

deadbabyseal
11-05-2005, 09:01 AM
I learned you can drink beer much faster if you use a funnel.

DJay23
11-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Yes. I learned both depth and scope of my chosen content that I teach. I learned how to operate under pressure. I learned how to be patient and let things happen rather than force them. I learned how to communicate through multiple channels. I learned that when all else fails, I am capable of doing whatever is necessary to survive. Most importantly, I learned how to learn. All of these, and many other things I use in my career, but having learned all of that at the end of college I was still overwhelmed my first year of teaching.

Biohazard
11-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Did you learn anything in college?Skip Towne hates nOObs.

Rain Man
11-05-2005, 09:44 AM
College was extremely valuable to me. I learned lots of content, most of which I've forgotten, but I nonetheless know it exists and can relearn it when I need it.

More so than the content, though, I learned how to approach and break down problems, and how to think in a problem-solving manner. That's huge.

One thing that I think was really helpful, personally, was doing homework by myself. There were some "study groups" around, and I never understood why anyone would do that. All that happened, in my opinion, was that one person figured it out and the rest copied the work.

Taco John
11-05-2005, 10:53 AM
I learned how to balance a busy work life with a busy social life. It was incredibly challenging but I managed to pull it off rather well. Well, not at the beginning. But eventually...

Extra Point
11-05-2005, 11:01 AM
I also learned how to play Spades and Hearts, consume alcohol, smoke funny cigarettes, and tear the letters off a frat house. Not all in one evening, though. Wait, it was in one evening!

Katipan
11-05-2005, 11:02 AM
I also learned how to play Spades and Hearts, consume alcohol, smoke funny cigarettes, and tear the letters off a frat house. Not all in one evening, though. Wait, it was in one evening!

You're supposed to learn all that in high school.

Extra Point
11-05-2005, 11:02 AM
DARN! DARN! DARN!!!!

Mr. Laz
11-05-2005, 11:06 AM
how to build a super duper beer bong.

if you do a keg stand too long you tend to pass out.

girls who don't wear a bra are generally more fun than those who do.

if you study drunk you need to test drunk.

CosmicPal
11-05-2005, 11:08 AM
I learned I had the ability to party all night and still go to class. Sometimes it was the wrong class, but nonetheless, it was still a learning experience.

Mr. Kotter
11-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Yes, but not much.

College is about learning to learn. It isn't about facts, or trivia, or even academics per se. It's about process and figuring out how to access knowledge.

Nzoner
11-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Seriously,the only thing I recall learning from classes was why Napolean kept his hand inside his coat.

Not bad for a guy who actually flunked a weightlifting class.

Calcountry
11-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I learned how to learn. In other words, if an obstacle is in front of me, I know how to attack and overcome it by educating myself on the matter quickly and efficiently. Understanding price theory helps me understand my position in the marketplace, both strategically and tactically. Knowing all that helps me make an extra 3 bucks per day so I can get a double non fat latte the next morning.

It helps me converse with the educated as well.

tyton75
11-05-2005, 11:29 AM
I learned, "Beer before liquor, never been sicker" still very helpful knowledge!

cdcox
11-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm a college professor, so, yeah.

But the real value of higher education is summed up by Rainman, DJay23,TJ, and Bunnytrdr. Learning how to learn, how to solve problems, how to write for an audience, etc. For certian professions obviously you will use more of your content from actual classes: engineering, computer programming, accounting, lawer, health care, etc., etc.

Katipan
11-05-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm glad, yay, that everyone is learning this stuff in college.

But could you imagine how wonderful our world would be if you know... People learned how to problem solve, write, and research, long before college?

What a pity.

joesomebody
11-05-2005, 12:53 PM
I learned that if you sleep through 90% of your classes you won't be in college for long.

I've learned 20 times more in the military, and in 9 months I'm going back to being a full time student...

So we'll see if I do better the second go round

cdcox
11-05-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm glad, yay, that everyone is learning this stuff in college.

But could you imagine how wonderful our world would be if you know... People learned how to problem solve, write, and research, long before college?

What a pity.

Yep. I blame Kotter.

cdcox
11-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I learned that if you sleep through 90% of your classes you won't be in college for long.

I've learned 20 times more in the military, and in 9 months I'm going back to being a full time student...

So we'll see if I do better the second go round

In my experience, on average, students who served in the military do better than the straight out of HS student. Some of it is maturity that comes with age (older students do better in general), but some of it no doubt is the discipline learned in the military.

Mr. Kotter
11-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Yep. I blame Kotter.

Huh? :shrug:

cdcox
11-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Huh? :shrug:

ROFL

Mr. Kotter
11-05-2005, 01:10 PM
ROFL

:harumph:

:moon:

:p

cdcox
11-05-2005, 01:19 PM
:harumph:

:moon:

:p

Mer stated that she thought students should learn how to learn, write, research etc, before they got to college.

I agreed and blamed you, because you are a HS teacher. It was a joke.

You shrugged, and I thought you were playing along, like you were clueless that students should learn such things. I laughed at what I thought was your joke.

I thought I was laughing with you, not at you. Sorry.

Katipan
11-05-2005, 01:24 PM
lol

Mr. Kotter
11-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Mer stated that she thought students should learn how to learn, write, research etc, before they got to college.

I agreed and blamed you, because you are a HS teacher. It was a joke.

You shrugged, and I thought you were playing along, like you were clueless that students should learn such things. I laughed at what I thought was your joke.

I thought I was laughing with you, not at you. Sorry.

It was a joke.

I just continued it a post and three smilies too long. Typical for me. Heh. :p

Herzig
11-05-2005, 01:35 PM
All you learned was the way to the golf course.

Hey...now..that was a very important lesson. Almost right up there with my college "cunnilingus classes"
:dom:

ENDelt260
11-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I learned LOTS in college. How to drink, how to get laid, how to acquire, tranport, and consume and assortment of illicit substances.

I learned a bunch about coding, too. Which I'm finally using now that I have the job I wanted coming out of school.

ENDelt260
11-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I learned that just because a school is 75% female doesn't mean they're all gonna be hot.
Drink 'em pretty.

Learned that in college, too.

ENDelt260
11-05-2005, 01:40 PM
I learned, "Beer before liquor, never been sicker" still very helpful knowledge!
Bah, that's horseshit.

Katipan
11-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Drink 'em pretty.

Learned that in college, too.

you're not getting anymore of my beer

ENDelt260
11-05-2005, 01:41 PM

You're right. I graduated after only 7 semesters.

ENDelt260
11-05-2005, 01:42 PM
you're not getting anymore of my beer
WTF?

morphius
I learned some kick ass judo moves, a few things on the proper layout of writing programs, but other then that, not much of anything at all.

Katipan
WTF?

I'm sorry, I was just showing off.

Mr. Kotter
11-05-2005, 01:43 PM
You're right. I graduated after only 7 semesters.

Me too. If we had been thinking though, we'd have taken the 5 year plan. Add that to my list of regrets.

ENDelt260
11-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Me too. If we had been thinking though, we'd have taken the 5 year plan. Add that to my list of regrets.
Indeed. I was originally gonna be done in six semesters, but I was having so much fun I rearranged my schedule. All I could manage to squeeze out was one more semester, and man that semester was light. I spent sooooo much time at the bar that semester.

Bearcat
11-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Northwest Missouri State has ended up being pretty useless as far as hands-on education.... I agree with the problem solving aspect, but the whole "NW has a good IT department" is a load of crap.

I start my new IT job Monday... they provide the training, and they were much more excited about my MBA work than any internship or class at Northwest. I have one of the teachers at Avila, not Northwest, to thank for one part of the interview, which was a 2 hour long problem on economics/profitability analysis.

I'm learning a lot of good stuff in the MBA program, which is far superior to anything I did at Northwest.