PDA

View Full Version : PFT - Chiefs Fed UP With Vermeil

dirk digler
11-05-2005, 09:21 AM
I know this is from ProFootballTalk but it should/could make for an interesting discussion so don't blame the messenger.

CHIEFS FED UP WITH VERMEIL

A league source tells us that the players in Kansas City are teetering toward mutiny due to what they perceive to be excessive intensity on the part of Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil.

Vermeil simply has been pushing them too hard, with in-season practices of 2 hours and 45 minutes in full pads.

We're also told that Vermeil never eases off of the sense of urgency, and that it's mentally and physically wearing the players down.

It's an old-school approach to a game that has changed much over the past decade or so. In-season practices and even training camp generally are less strenuous, for a variety of reasons. The proliferation of offseason workouts give coaches many more opportunities to teach their systems, lightening the agendas for July and August. Also, with true free agency in the NFL, teams realize that factors such as grueling practices could keep a guy from coming to town.

As we see it, Vermeil's decision to push the team hard this year indicates that he doesn't plan to be back in 2006 -- since it suggests that he isn't worried about his ability to attract or retain available players. But he still needs to make it through 2005, and the concern in the locker room is that a team with Super Bowl potential is being kept from fulfilling that promise by a head coach who is simply squeezing them too tightly.

Claynus
11-05-2005, 09:24 AM
ROFL

jspchief
Any player that is bitching about practicing too hard, after the performances we've put on the field, can go play for the Texans.

nychief
****ing pussies - play football.

Straight, No Chaser
Why is this crap even posted here, why?

It should be required to post the "writer"/hack who penned this ________!

--->

dirk digler
11-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Any player that is bitching about practicing too hard, after the performances we've put on the field, can go play for the Texans.

The only problem I have with these long practices is that on the O side of the ball our average age is pretty high. We are long on the tooth so I would think they would trim down the practices to save these guys.

Like I said it is PFT so take it as you wish.

Coogs
11-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Working them too hard!

I thought all the reports from training camp had all the guys laying around in a hammock under a shade tree with young college co-eds bringing around fresh beverages every hour or so.

Straight, No Chaser
11-05-2005, 09:28 AM
"league source" = ?

Let's see:

What is Bill Maas' pen name, does anyone know?

dirk digler
11-05-2005, 09:31 AM
BTW this has always been a common grip with players underneath Vermeil, the Rams did have a mutiny the year before they went and won the SB.

Warrior5
11-05-2005, 09:33 AM
move on, move on.

If anything, Vermiel has been too soft.

Cochise
11-05-2005, 09:36 AM
I know this is from ProFootballTalk but

Stopped reading here :shake:

Rain Man
11-05-2005, 09:38 AM
They must be talking about a different Chiefs team that also coincidentally has a coach named Vermeil.

DJay23
11-05-2005, 09:39 AM
move on, move on.

If anything, Vermiel has been too soft.
I think he has long practices as a means of compensation for his enormous VAGINA. I'm sick of Vermiel and his wobbly emotions too. Makes us too inconsistent as a team.

siberian khatru
11-05-2005, 09:40 AM
They must be talking about a different Chiefs team that also coincidentally has a coach named Vermeil.

The one on that doppelganger Earth on the far side of the sun.

shaneo69
11-05-2005, 09:44 AM
This is BS. Vermiel didn't even have a padded practice this week. The Thursday practice is usually the only one in pads, and because of all the injuries, he made it shells-only this week.

Add in the week off during the bye week, and this whole article is just a bunch of crap.

OldTownChief
11-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Working them too hard!

I thought all the reports from training camp had all the guys laying around in a hammock under a shade tree with young college co-eds bringing around fresh beverages every hour or so.

Na... That was the three quarters in Arrowhead against Philly.

FringeNC
11-05-2005, 10:16 AM
My guess is that Gunther is out of control again, thinking if he works the D harder, his non-scheme might be successful.

By the way, it's funny watching the D. Under GR, the scheme was too complicated for the players to learn, so they ran around the field like a headless chicken. Under, Gunther, there is no scheme other than chase the ball, so the players run around the field like a headless chicken. Completely different philosophies, but the exact same result.

Rausch
11-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Under GR, the scheme was too complicated for the players to learn, so they ran around the field like a headless chicken. Under, Gunther, there is no scheme other than chase the ball, so the players run around the field like a headless chicken.

Patton had no plan, he just had soldiers senselessly charge the enemy.

Flueless cucking moron...

Mr. Laz
11-05-2005, 10:28 AM
too hard ... they get every freakin' day off possible.

bye week off ... extra days off during long weeks .. every time you turn around he's giving them a work break for something.

if this is how they play when working hard ... how bad would they be with less work?

Taco John
11-05-2005, 10:38 AM
This is such a joke. I just can't see how a team that has been playing like you guys have been on Sundays could possibly be up in arms over trying to hard in practice.

Braincase
11-05-2005, 10:41 AM
The one on that doppelganger Earth on the far side of the sun.

I've got a camera in my fake eyeball. Takes film...

Bowser
11-05-2005, 10:42 AM
This is such a joke. I just can't see how a team that has been playing like you guys have been on Sundays could possibly be up in arms over trying to hard in practice.

Sadly, agreed.

We SHOULD be 5-1, with our one loss to the Broncos. The players deserve all of the ass kicking they get.

Rausch
11-05-2005, 10:44 AM
This is such a joke.

Exactly.

Don't you ban people on the mane for posting PFT articles?...

Braincase
11-05-2005, 10:44 AM

It's easier to just cheat and whine to refs, right Taco?

OldTownChief
11-05-2005, 10:45 AM

For once I would have to agree with you.

Taco John
11-05-2005, 10:48 AM
It's easier to just cheat and whine to refs, right Taco?

Actually no. That would be actually trying...

Lurch
11-05-2005, 10:49 AM
If true, this is a bunch of bullshit coming from players that have underperformed based on their abilities....with a couple of notable exceptions. What a bunch of friggin' whiners.

morphius
11-05-2005, 10:54 AM
With all the days that DV gives them off they shouldn't have too much to complain about.

Mr. Kotter
11-05-2005, 11:15 AM
This is disturbing if there is any truth to it. Today's athletes, generally, are embarrasing in terms of their lack of discipline and work ethic. There are exceptions like Priest and Green. But even guys like Gonzo and LJ are babies at times.

Mr. Laz
11-05-2005, 11:26 AM
This is disturbing if there is any truth to it. Today's athletes, generally, are embarrasing in terms of their lack of discipline and work ethic. There are exceptions like Priest and Green. But even guys like Gonzo and LJ are babies at times.
question ... why do you consider Gonzo to have good work ethic?

does he really work hard or is he just a natural athlete?

Bob Dole
11-05-2005, 11:34 AM
We could only hope that DV was working their asses off.

Mr. Kotter
11-05-2005, 11:35 AM
question ... why do you consider Gonzo to have good work ethic?

does he really work hard or is he just a natural athlete?

I was putting Gonzo and LJ in the whiner/distration/lazy category....he's more of a natural athlete in my mind.

PHOG
11-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Puleeze, they get the whole bye week off, then report back the following Monday and get Tuesday off, all while Warfield is needing reps (according to grandpa) to be considered start worthy over :deevee: 's pet, Dexter.

Cochise
11-05-2005, 12:38 PM
a team with Super Bowl potential is being kept from fulfilling that promise by a head coach who is simply squeezing them too tightly.

Uhh... I'm not sure if profootballtalk has been watching the NFL this year, but that's not really the only thing that might keep us from the super bowl.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Yes but what does Athan have to say?

Logical
11-05-2005, 01:20 PM
If the story about the intensity of practice is right it could be the cause of the plethora of injuries to ligaments, joints, and muscle sprains we are seeing.

Coach
11-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Sheesh, every time I think about mutiny, I get flashbacks to the 1998 season. :shake:

Lipschitz
11-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Supposing this is a true story:

The players are getting a bucket full of money for playing a game that virtually all of us would play for free. They have the audacity to complain because they have to "work" up to 3 hours a day?

If that is the mentality in KC at Arrowhead with the players we will never see another Superbowl.

How about Chucky in TB. Is he a little intense? He will be the next coach in KC.

Lipschitz
11-05-2005, 07:35 PM
If the story about the intensity of practice is right it could be the cause of the plethora of injuries to ligaments, joints, and muscle sprains we are seeing.

It could be, but I doubt it. Age is most likely the reason some of these guys are getting dinged up.

Big Chief Homer
11-05-2005, 08:23 PM
IMO this article is pure B.S.

As stated numerous times in other posts they have every other week off.They didnt practice hardly at all due to the injuries this week.They had the full week off because of the short week against the phins.then a short week following the miami game(mini bye week).A full bye week off and a soft training camp.He even gives them victory mondays when they loose.

The only thing I can see them being fed up with is Vermiel saying stupid crap like"our starting QB might not play because he hasnt practiced this week. even though hes been in the same system for 7 years"

and by keeping hurt payers on the 53 man roster until week 14 when the can finally come back and "help" the team(i.e. see simms and wilson)

Toad
11-05-2005, 11:17 PM
...waiting for Can's proverbial, "I blame Nick Athan".

ChiefFripp
11-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Iand the concern in the locker room is that a team with Super Bowl potential is being kept from fulfilling that promise by a head coach who is simply squeezing them too tightly.

I thought he coached The Chiefs?

htismaqe
11-06-2005, 04:32 AM
If only this had come from a reputable source...it might be a signal of some REAL change about to take place...

Chieftain58
11-06-2005, 05:07 AM
Who wrote that garbage. He let them off for the bye week! Half the vets didn't practice during training camp!

Chromatic
11-06-2005, 05:36 AM
Vermeil, for some reason, never struck me as being a bad-assed son of a bitch who pushes his players to near torture. Unless all those crying sessions is all the guilt building because he's a bad, bad man.

I'm just messing around. :P