PDA

View Full Version : web design and Java Web Start

cdcox
11-05-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm new to web design and need some advice.

Looking at the log files on my playoff forecast software site, I'm noticing that some people are unsuccessful in launching the software, probably because they do not have Java Web Start or their version is out of date. I found some scripts that automatically detect if they have JWS and make it so a single button click downloads both JWS and my application. However, when I tested it, my Google toolbar blocked the script so that no link at all appeared. The user can allow the script, if he notices the "shield" informing him that content has been blocked. The goggle notification is pretty subtle in my opinion. What do you recommend:

1) leave it like it is http://www.nfl-forecast.com/software.html and just forget about lost users?

2) put in a script that detects whether they have JWS and then provide the appropriate download link?

3) a better idea (hoping for this)

Thanks, for any suggestions.

cdcox
11-06-2005, 07:40 PM
I opted to just add a statement telling people to try installing JWS if the download doesn't work. That seems the simplest. I also moved the software link to the main page. Still open to a better idea for hooking people up with JWS.