PDA

View Full Version : ROYALS PENA A YANKEE!

carlos3652
11-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Not sure if this is a repost:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2212827

Updated: Nov. 3, 2005, 8:05 PM ET
'03 AL Manager of Year Pena named Yanks 1B coachAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- Former Kansas City manager Tony Pena was hired by the New York Yankees on Thursday as their first base coach and said he likely would withdraw as a candidate to manage the Dominican Republic in next year's inaugural World Baseball Classic.

"We have a lot of new coaches," Pena said. "We need to get familiar with every player."

After he left Kansas City last spring, Pena said he wanted to lead the Dominicans in the 16-team tournament that will be played from March 3-20.

"It's going to be very tough," he said. "I don't think I will."

Pena was hired as Royals manager in May 2002 and was voted AL Manager of the Year in 2003 after leading the team to an 83-79 record, its first winning season since 1994. He quit May 10 after an 8-25 start that left his overall record with Kansas City at 198-285.

Pena said the losing caused him to "feel pain inside" and that he hopes to manage again.

"I love baseball, and I just cannot stay away from the game," he said.

A five-time All-Star catcher, Pena also will work with Jorge Posada and other catchers in the Yankees organization.

Earlier this week, the Yankees hired former major league managers Larry Bowa as third base coach and Lee Mazzilli as bench coach. Ron Guidry might become pitching coach and Joe Kerrigan bullpen coach.

Luis Sojo, who had been third base coach, is expected to become manager of Class-A Tampa of the Florida State League.

Valiant
11-05-2005, 10:32 PM
It is, and like you I am to lazy to look back a few pages...

Ari Chi3fs
11-05-2005, 10:46 PM
stick to poker, turtle.