PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else watching "Before the Dinosaurs" on the Discovery Channel?

Rain Man
11-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Pretty cool graphics. It's traced the history of life on earth all the way from one-celled creatures up to (so far) early dinosaurs.

Way cool stuff. Apparently, there was one era where the predominant carnivore on earth was a three-foot scorpion. I had no idea that scorpions were that prominant. It finally got displaced by a ten-foot species of scorpion.

Then at some point the scorpions moved onto land. There, they eventually evolved into giant spiders ("as big as a human head"), giant dragonflies (3-ft. wingspan), and these millipede-like things that were 10 feet long. They lived in a time when the oxygen in the atmosphere was so rich that lightning could cause explosions.

DJay23
11-05-2005, 11:11 PM
I was watching it for awhile, but I have no attention span anymore.

The sad thing is that I was a bio major in college.

siberian khatru
11-05-2005, 11:14 PM
How did they depict the Chiefs' Super Bowl victory?

cdcox
11-05-2005, 11:18 PM
We all know that Gunther Cunningham preceeded DV, and I have no desire to relive that.

Valiant
11-05-2005, 11:28 PM
New AP poll out...

Kansas is suing the Discovery Channel over it spreading lies and propaganda. This show is also going to hinder the way that science should be taught in schools. Basically the representive to the school board said the earth was only 10k years old, and there was never a thing as a 3 footed scorpian, that was the devil... And the giant dragonflys were really angels...

KC Jones
11-05-2005, 11:54 PM
New AP poll out...

Kansas is suing the Discovery Channel over it spreading lies and propaganda. This show is also going to hinder the way that science should be taught in schools. Basically the representive to the school board said the earth was only 10k years old, and there was never a thing as a 3 footed scorpian, that was the devil... And the giant dragonflys were really angels...

heh - my first thought when I saw the topic header was along these lines. There was not time before the dinosaurs because there were no dinosaurs - God put the bones in the ground to test our faith. :drool: