PDA

View Full Version : Game Ball to LJ

nomad
11-06-2005, 03:39 PM
To be served on a silver platter by Saunders with a side of Crow served up by DV.....!

Kudo's to Trent as well.

Emotional win on a number of levels....

JBucc
11-06-2005, 03:42 PM
And D Washington, and Trent and to DV's Dr. for giving him those testosterone shots so he could grow a pair.

digi2fish
11-06-2005, 03:46 PM
seems DV didn't admit it well in the post game conference... :shake:

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 03:49 PM
I believe I called, fuggers:

Give me a break. LJ already proved himself last year after Priest went down.

I'm expecting a big game from LJ. We all know what he can do. At least 150 total yards and 2 or more TDs.

LJ's stat line: 155 total yards, 2 TDs.

4th and Long
11-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Sorry kids but this was a TEAM win.

The D played pretty darn well today, all things considered and recorded the ONLY sack of the game. Tony and Eddie both had 5 touches each totaling 130 yards. Tynes was perfect. Colquitt had another left footed kick of doom.

And what about Trent?

The guy loses his father last week, has to play without him at home in the stands for the first time ever, goes 22 of 35 for 235 and a TD, throws zero INTs and is in tears at the end of the game.

Game ball to LJ?

MY ASS!!!

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Definitely a team win.

Can anyone believe Trent only has 3 interceptions in 8 games?

penchief
11-06-2005, 04:01 PM

The D played pretty darn well today, all things considered and recorded the ONLY sack of the game. Tony and Eddie both had 5 touches each totaling 130 yards. Tynes was perfect. Colquitt had another left footed kick of doom.

And what about Trent?

The guy loses his father last week, has to play without him at home in the stands for the first time ever, goes 22 of 35 for 235 and a TD, throws zero INTs and is in tears at the end of the game.

Game ball to LJ?

MY ASS!!!

I agree that it was a team win. But if anyone deserved a game ball based on individual performance, LJ did.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Any question about who was our best RB was answered today.

Priest does not have the speed to break the run that LJ broke on the second-to-last-play.

Not to mention the power that LJ showed over and over again.

chefsos
Lenny's in the locker room looking for an interview from LJ. Hang on, this could be a wild ride.

siberian khatru
Definitely a team win.

Can anyone believe Trent only has 3 interceptions in 8 games?

He's no Jake Plummer.

nomad
11-06-2005, 04:04 PM

And what about Trent?

Game ball to LJ?

MY ASS!!!

Sounds like DV got to his office computer, and logged on in record time.....and Dexter had his best game of the year TODAY.

Skip Towne
11-06-2005, 04:06 PM

Priest does not have the speed to break the run that LJ broke on the second-to-last-play.

I liked LJ's over the top action for the TD. I wonder where he got that?

Bob Dole
Lenny's in the locker room looking for an interview from LJ. Hang on, this could be a wild ride.

He said the right things. Realizes that the staff put the rock in his hands when the game (season?) was on the line.

4th and Long
I agree that it was a team win. But if anyone deserved a game ball based on individual performance, LJ did.
You're not seeing the big picture. Observe.

3-6-KC43 (9:19) T.Green pass to D.Hall to OAK 38 for 19 yards (S.Schweigert, K.Morrison).

Dante gets that first down or the drive is dead and we are out 3 points.

3-2-KC36 (5:45) T.Green pass to C.Horn to KC 43 for 7 yards (N.Asomugha, S.Schweigert).
3-15-KC38 (4:16) T.Green pass to T.Gonzalez to OAK 29 for 33 yards (D.Walker).

There's 2 drive saving catches that help put this up on the board:

3-6-OAK6 (1:38) T.Green pass to T.Richardson for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

As I said, it's a team win. Open your eyes, open your ears, take your head out of LJ's ass and see the win for what it was.

BigOlChiefsfan
11-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Post game:

Lenny: What did this game mean to you?

(Paraphrasing)
LJ: "This game meant a lot. This is the first time they've ever given me the ball, 4 seconds to go, win or lose...coach vermeil, no matter what he and I go thru during the week it meant a lot that he had that kind of faith in me."

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 04:07 PM

He learned from the best.

MadMax
11-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Sounds like DV got to his office computer, and logged on in record time.....and Dexter had his best game of the year TODAY.
ROFL ROFL

Bob Dole
The D played pretty darn well today, all things considered and recorded the ONLY sack of the game.

Only sack of the game? Huh?

chefsos
He said the right things. Realizes that the staff put the rock in his hands when the game (season?) was on the line.

Yes he did. Very vanilla, cliche answers, pleasantly so. No boat rocking here. He sounds like a guy who doesn't have to prove anything anymore.

munkey
11-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Post game:

Lenny: What did this game mean to you?

(Paraphrasing)
LJ: "This game meant a lot. This is the first time they've ever given me the ball, 4 seconds to go, win or lose...coach vermeil, no matter what he and I go thru during the week it meant a lot that he had that kind of faith in me."

IMO this game changes ALOT of things..It's really a win that can bring the team together and emotionally push it through to the playoffs.

Rain Man
11-06-2005, 04:11 PM

I thought it was a very nice tribute to Priest.

4th and Long
11-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Only sack of the game? Huh?
My bad. They had 3 sacks.

Straight, No Chaser
11-06-2005, 04:15 PM

WRONG. STFU
There probably wouldn't have been quite the suspense with .05 left if Priest's number was called... instead of down by contact it would have been TD & GAME OVER. I'll give you LJ's finally out of diapers but he does not move and dive like Holmes.

---->

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 04:15 PM
WRONG. STFU
There probably wouldn't have been quite the suspense with .05 left if Priest's number was called... instead of down by contact it would have TD & GAME OVER. I'll give you LJ's finally out of diapers but he does not move and dive like Holmes.

---->

That's a laugh. Priest doesn't have the speed to take it to the 1-foot line in that situation. He'd have been down at the 10 yard line.

penchief
11-06-2005, 04:16 PM

See previous post from Game Thread by penchief:

Dick Vermeil may have redeemed everything with that call; trusting LJ with all the marbles might just revive that relationship. After all, aside from a couple of first down passes, that drive was all LJ. He earned it. Maybe he has finally earned DV's respect.

Offensively, we have been lost. Calls like that help teams to find their way. While I have criticized Vermiel for many things, I have to tip my hat to him for making this kind of call when it has the potential to turn our season around.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-06-2005, 04:19 PM
LJ was terrific, but mine would go to Gun

chiefsfan1963
11-06-2005, 04:28 PM
It's a team win, but LJ is your #1 RB no matter how you slice it!

I know deep inside of all the Priest backers on this board the truth is apparent to them as well!

Redcoats58
11-06-2005, 04:34 PM

I know deep inside of all the Priest backers on this board the truth is apparent to them as well!
Has Priest had a full game to show he still has it this year? Priest not playing is the reason this team isn't having success in the redzone. Priest was never one to break off run after run, if you go back and watch his games he didn't really turn it on till the 4th quarters of games after he had worn the defense down. You can bet im a Priest backer and that is not taking anything away from Larry Johnson but if Im gonna say who needs to play I need to see Priest in for a full game and not this RBBC crap.

OldTownChief
11-06-2005, 04:36 PM
DV said the game ball went to the Trent Green family.

Skip Towne
11-06-2005, 04:41 PM
I thought it was a very nice tribute to Priest.
Yep. The first time I ever saw a player do that was right after OJ left USC. He'd dive over the line every time they got within 3 yards of the goal. Everybody knew he was going to do it but they couldn't stop it. They still can't unless they have a flying LB. That guy after OJ was named Sam "Bam" Cunningham.

4th and Long
11-06-2005, 04:44 PM
DV said the game ball went to the Trent Green family.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Skip Towne
11-06-2005, 04:45 PM
WRONG. STFU
There probably wouldn't have been quite the suspense with .05 left if Priest's number was called... instead of down by contact it would have been TD & GAME OVER. I'll give you LJ's finally out of diapers but he does not move and dive like Holmes.

---->
Surely you jest. That guy that caught LJ would have had Priest at least 5 yards earlier.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Speaking of game balls, T-Rich deserves one for his blocking today. And his great TD catch, his first touchdown since December 2002.

4th and Long
11-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Surely you jest. That guy that caught LJ would have had Priest at least 5 yards earlier.
Priest has one of the baddest stiff arm moves in the NFL. If you're going to talk in conjecture, then I'll counter with, Priest would have stiff armed that guy out of his jock and walked into the end zone.

Now, anyone want to deal in facts or shall we carry on with this mindless dribble?

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Priest has one of the baddest stiff arm moves in the NFL. If you're going to talk in conjecture, then I'll counter with, Priest would have stiff armed that guy out of his jock and walked into the end zone.

Now, anyone want to deal in facts or shall we carry on with this mindless dribble?

Stiff-arm or no, there were two guys.

4th and Long
11-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Stiff-arm or no, there were two guys.
Fine. He stiff arms one guy who falls down, causing the other guy to trip and fall too and he STILL walks into the end zone.

I can play this stupid game all day.

Valiant
11-06-2005, 04:51 PM

Uhh, Priest would not have dropped the ball in the first Qtr. Priest would have also have won the game last week and not be stuffed at the 1yard line both times like johnson...

Johnson played a great game, but is still aways from Priests level of talent and being a game-winner week in, week out...

JBucc
11-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Stiff-arm or no, there were two guys.He could've cut back behind that guy to his left and lept over all of them.

nascher
11-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Game Ball goes to Dwayne Washington + Eric Warfield great game for both CB's.

penchief
11-06-2005, 04:57 PM
He could've cut back behind that guy to his left and lept over all of them.

True. And he is capable of that. But what he did was instinctively go with his strength. Which is disecting the defenders with his deceptive speed, which is a trump card for a big, strong back like LJ. He came up one foot short. You can't blame him though.

He made up for it on the next play, though. But honestly, for you Preist fans; If Holmes had caught the ball where LJ did he wouldn't have gotten a whiff of the endzone. THAT is the difference in LJ and Priest.

I love Priest and think has a lot to contribute to this team. But on the other side of the coin; keeping LJ down is counterproductive to the success of this team.

Skip Towne
11-06-2005, 04:59 PM
That 1 yd. TD dive cost LJ's ypc. But before that he had 106 rushing yds on 21 carries. Just a shade over his career ypc of 5.0. And Jim Brown's ypc at the same number of carries as LJ has was 4.7. So he's still ahead of Jim Brown's pace but will never overtake Priest according to some people.

Valiant
11-06-2005, 05:02 PM
True. And he is capable of that. But what he did was instinctively go with his strength. Which is disecting the defenders with his deceptive speed, which is a trump card for a big, strong back like LJ. He came up one foot short. You can't blame him though.

He made up for it on the next play, though. But honestly, for you Preist fans; If Holmes had caught the ball where LJ did he wouldn't have gotten a whiff of the endzone. THAT is the difference in LJ and Priest.

I love Priest and think has a lot to contribute to this team. But on the other side of the coin; keeping LJ down is counterproductive to the success of this team.

Yes because Priest is slow and has never taken a pass for a long td run with people trying to tackle him.. Especially this year, not agianst the Skins.. I mean from the way you all are talking this could never happen...

Seriously what are the odds that Priest could get a 60yard td catch this year.. anyone, anyone????

Rain Man
11-06-2005, 05:02 PM
The interesting thing about that last play is that it would have been blown up if it had gone to the left. Casey Wiegman, despite a good game, got shoved into the backfield pretty good. It's a good thing that the Raider dude picked the wrong direction to charge.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Fine. He stiff arms one guy who falls down, causing the other guy to trip and fall too and he STILL walks into the end zone.

I can play this stupid game all day.

No, you can't. Priest would not have gotten into the endzone from the 15.

nomad
11-06-2005, 05:06 PM

Sure.... Why not just have Priest leaving his feet at the 20yd line...stepping on the top of both defenders helmets like rocks in a creek and doing a double somersault with a half twist landing on one foot in the endzone, following with a triple-jumpers leap off the other foot sailing thru the goalpost and landing in you soft inviting lap??

Seriously.... LJ was there pounding out yards from the opening whistle, working behind the same line Green was. Green struggled thru 3 quarters and LJ was sitting at almost a hundred.

He didn't win it himself, he WAS the most CONSISTENT threat throughout the whole game.

DV dedicating the game ball to the Green family is fine with me.

Doesn't change the fact that LJ was the best player on "O" today, and when DV is done hugging and crying...... he should give him his props, that all.

siberian khatru
11-06-2005, 05:07 PM
So he's still ahead of Jim Brown's pace

Jim Brown's 5 ypc couldn't save him against German machine guns.

4th and Long
11-06-2005, 05:08 PM
No, you can't. Priest would not have gotten into the endzone from the 15.
Yes, I can. Mayhaps you forgot about his long run in the Skins game a few weeks back?

4th and Long
11-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Sure.... Why not just have Priest leaving his feet at the 20yd line...stepping on the top of both defenders helmets like rocks in a creek and doing a double somersault with a half twist landing on one foot in the endzone, following with a triple-jumpers leap off the other foot sailing thru the goalpost and landing in you soft inviting lap??
Sounds good to me and makes about as much sense as the rest of the speculative bullshit on this thread.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Yes, I can. Mayhaps you forgot about his long run in the Skins game a few weeks back?

No one was waiting for him at the goalline then. He had the angle on every defender. LJ was forced to make contact with two defenders.

chiefsfan1963
11-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Uhh, Priest would not have dropped the ball in the first Qtr. Priest would have also have won the game last week and not be stuffed at the 1yard line both times like johnson...

Johnson played a great game, but is still aways from Priests level of talent and being a game-winner week in, week out...

denial, it's a tough sickness to shake! :p

4th and Long
11-06-2005, 05:14 PM
No one was waiting for him at the goalline then. He had the angle on every defender. LJ was forced to make contact with two defenders.
So you're saying Priest has never run anyone over and is incapable of doing so.

Got it.

Oh ... here's a dollar. Go buy a clue.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 05:18 PM

Got it.

Priest hasn't done much of that this year.

I've seen Priest TRY to stiff-arm guys this year and get dragged down by his arm. LJ, not so much.

If LJ can't get past a given defender, I doubt Priest can.

go bowe
11-06-2005, 05:22 PM
hey...

speculative bullshit is the best we got... :( :( :(

Skip Towne
11-06-2005, 05:25 PM

Got it.

4th, what you are calling conjecture is not that at all. It's a well known fact that LJ is considerably faster than Priest was on his best day. Both of those defenders had the angle on LJ from opposing directions and only LJ's speed made the collision of the three of them happen at the 1 yd. line. Given Priest's current speed, the collision would have necessarily had to happen further upfield. I agree with you that anyone can speculate on what would have happened. I never get in those pissing contests. But that's not the case here.

go bowe
11-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Priest hasn't done much of that this year.

I've seen Priest TRY to stiff-arm guys this year and get dragged down by his arm. LJ, not so much.

If LJ can't get past a given defender, I doubt Priest can.what i find truly amazing is how larry has learned to set up his blocks...

and even more amazing is his ability to sidestep a tackle without slowing down...

with his stand up style and his long legs, when he takes one of those sideways steps to make someone miss, he covers a lot of ground...

absolutely amazing balance and vision...

and he's kinda fast...

go bowe
11-06-2005, 05:26 PM
oh, and did i mention he's powerful to go along with everything else?

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 05:27 PM
what i find truly amazing is how larry has learned to set up his blocks...

and even more amazing is his ability to sidestep a tackle without slowing down...

with his stand up style and his long legs, when he takes one of those sideways steps to make someone miss, he covers a lot of ground...

and he's kinda fast...

Yep. He's obviously learned alot from Priest.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Both of those defenders had the angle on LJ from opposing directions and only LJ's speed made the collision of the three of them happen at the 1 yd. line.

Given Priest's current speed, the collision would have necessarily had to happen further upfield.

Pure physics.

Coach
11-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Jim Brown's 5 ypc couldn't save him against German machine guns.

ROFL

The Dirty Dozen, isn't that right?

penchief
11-06-2005, 05:33 PM

and he's kinda fast...

This is what has always been his mode of operation, ala Robert Smith. He makes oepn field moves at full speed that elude defenders in a way that seems effortless. He has great open field vision. Because of his speed, it sometimes it causes people to underestimate his ability, IMO.

Skip Towne
11-06-2005, 05:41 PM
what i find truly amazing is how larry has learned to set up his blocks...

and he's kinda fast...
I don't remember who said it but a group of football types were discussing what made Gail Sayers such a great runner. They finally arrived at the fact that Sayers could change directions at full speed. LJ also has some of that quality. And, LJ has a spin move that Priest has never had. But that is minor compared to all the other advantages LJ has over Priest. Oh, yeah, LJ had the ball in the wrong arm on that next to last play that went to the 1 yd line. We'll have to deduct style points for that.

penchief
11-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Yes because Priest is slow and has never taken a pass for a long td run with people trying to tackle him.. Especially this year, not agianst the Skins.. I mean from the way you all are talking this could never happen...

Seriously what are the odds that Priest could get a 60yard td catch this year.. anyone, anyone????

You're missing the point. On that particular play at that particular point in the game, LJ took it to the one foot line.

Could Priest, in his own style, somehow managed to have scored? Yes. But, IMO, it is less likely that he would have come as near the goal line as LJ did using his own particular style; which is vision and sheer speed. No, he didn't make it but he damn sure came close. There is no guarantee that Priest would have come any closer using his style.

LJ deserves his due. It's high time that the the Priest hangers-on give it to him. I too, am a documented Holmes-lover. But the writing is on the wall. It does no good for the Chiefs or their fans to underscore LJ's ability or his contribution to this team.

Give it up Priest-lovers/LJ-haters. Larry is our starter and Priest is our specialist. LJ's versatility alone dictates that outcome. IMO.

Even though I believe in LJ's ability I am speaking merely as a Chief's fan wishing the best for our season.

chefsos
11-06-2005, 05:53 PM
He could've cut back behind that guy to his left and lept over all of them.True. And he is capable of that. But what he did was instinctively go with his strength. Which is disecting the defenders with his deceptive speed, which is a trump card for a big, strong back like LJ. He came up one foot short...

FWIW, LJ said in the postgame with Dawson that he was thinking about the time ticking away while he was running, and decided to just get there as fast as he could without a lot of juking.

We'll just have to take him at his word there, but that's some pretty nice awareness of the situation.

Skip Towne
11-06-2005, 06:02 PM
This is what has always been his mode of operation, ala Robert Smith. He makes oepn field moves at full speed that elude defenders in a way that seems effortless. He has great open field vision. Because of his speed, it sometimes it causes people to underestimate his ability, IMO.
I remember one play last year where LJ was running to the outside (to the right no less) and there were 2 LB's scraping down the line that would have easily beaten an average RB to the corner. LJ easily got there first and was cruising down the sideline when those LBs arrived. They were never in the play, they just didn't know it. LJ does things that amaze me kinda like Bo Jackson did in baseball.