Count Zarth
11-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Vermeil Postgame Quotes - Raiders
Nov 06, 2005, 4:15:14 PM

Kansas City Chiefs vs. Oakland Raiders
Sunday, November 6, 2005
Postgame Quotes
Head Coach Dick Vermeil

On the game: “There’s just something about the Chiefs and Raiders football game that comes down to the final minutes or final seconds. That’s six [wins] in a row for us. They gave us a lot of problems in pass protection early and we fooled around too much in the running game and didn’t get to what we do best until the second half and that hurt us a little bit.

“Sometimes we all get too smart. Just put the responsibility on some offensive guards who can block pretty well and start the ball going downhill. All of a sudden the ball’s going up field. It helped us; it helped us a lot.

“The defense just battled. That’s a very talented offensive football team and to hold them to 263 yards, especially when we were not converting third downs, is a real testament to the quality and the effort of those kids on defense.

On the call to run the ball at the end of the game: “Playing without the two tackles bothered us for a while. Trying to run up inside helped us rather than [running] outside. We gave the game ball to Trent Green’s family and, believe me [his father] was there when I made that last call. Wow, was I scared! I just figured, ‘I’m too old to wait.’ You can do everything by the books all the time, but it’s time. I had great confidence where we were going to run the ball over Will Shields and Casey Wiegmann and on the backside with Brian Waters and T-Rich [Tony Richardson] blasting in there. Then giving the ball to the big back, I figured we could make it. If we had lost, if we had not made it, then you guys would have had a lot of fun with that. But it was just time. It was not an impulsive thing; it was the right thing for us to do.”

On not having Priest Holmes for the final run play: “No, no it didn’t. We have great confidence. We just told Larry [Johnson] to make sure you get up over the top. I think he would have gotten over anyway. He was so determined. I asked [Offensive Line Coach] Mike Solari for what he felt was our best goal-line run for that distance. He said a specific play and I said, ‘Let’s go with that one.’ That’s the first time I’ve done that. I’ve normally kicked the football.”

On other options for the last play: “I wanted the most direct [route to the end zone]. We spent too much time going towards the sidelines. I wanted to go direct and Mike Solari said this is the best one to go with. I conferred with Al [Saunders] and he said the same thing.”

On the thought process behind not kicking the field goal: “I’ll tell you exactly. The last two times they had the ball they went down the field and scored. I figured, if we lost the toss and kicked off they may win the game and I didn’t want to give them that opportunity.”

On the check-down to RB Larry Johnson: “Well, there was no one around him initially and there was one guy who came from the side and, as I saw it, he just accelerated into space and it was just a corner and safety there to get him. They were obviously doubling up all the receivers.”

On scaling down the Chiefs offense with two new tackles: “We didn’t scale [down] at all. Maybe we should have but we didn’t scale at all. We took Jordan Black, who played right tackle for a while, and played him at left tackle when Willie [Roaf] first got hurt, then back to right and then today left. It’s almost like playing tennis with your right hand all the time and then all of a sudden you go play left handed.”

On the play of CB Dewayne Washington: “Nothing like having a guy with a lot of character and experience. He’s a tremendous worker and has no problem with being a backup. He really enjoys his teammates here and this is his first year with us. He totally knows what’s going on with all the years he’s played. You know he’s not going to make a mistake.”

Count Zarth
11-06-2005, 07:32 PM
RB LARRY JOHNSON Postgame Quotes
Nov 06, 2005, 4:34:10 PM

Sunday, November 6, 2005
Postgame Quotes
RB Larry Johnson

On the game: “I’ve been granted the privilege to come in and start for this game behind this great offensive line.”

On adjustments made in the second half: “Play action passes to make those guys slow just a little bit to make them think a little bit about draws and runs.”

On his 36-yard reception in the final minute: “Trent [Green] is real big on check downs. If the guys are open down the field and something doesn’t look right, I’m the last guy, the last line of defense. He popped the ball to me and I was surprised how far the guys were playing back. I just tried to make a dash sprint to the end zone and not try and make a lot of moves because of the clock and trying to score and get into the end zone.”

On the final scoring play: “We wanted to go with a downhill play which would give us a good chance to get in the end zone. It was ‘20 blast,’ just downhill running with JD [TE Jason Dunn] leading and Tony Richardson sealing off the front side and me just jumping behind [G Will] Shields.”

On the play before that: “Basically a lot of the guys were covered so the backers had backed off so far. I was surprised no one was covering me because they blitzed and I didn’t have to pick ‘em up. I was open and Trent just popped me the ball and I just ran.”

On his thoughts during the final play of the game: “Just don’t lose my footing like I did in the opposite end. I just wanted to get my footing down and those guys did an awesome job up front. I just [planned] to jump up in there because I didn’t think a lot of people would hit me in the head. I didn’t go up very far, but I went up straight. I’m glad I landed in the end zone.”

On what the game meant to him: “This means a lot. This is the first game in my career where someone has trusted me to put the ball in the end zone with four seconds. If we don’t score, we don’t win. Coach Vermeil, regardless of what we go through on a daily basis, for him to trust me to put the ball into the end zone during a big game like this means a lot to me.”

On his influence with the coach’s decision on the final play: “It had to do with the way I was running the ball the whole time. If I wasn’t getting any yards, any push, or running downhill I don’t think he would have made that call. He would have let Trent or Tony Gonzalez make those plays. But he felt comfortable with me to get that one yard. I just wanted to do my part. It’s a tough decision. Do you give it to a running back or do you give it to someone he’s comfortable with down in the Red Zone?”

On Vermeil’s confidence in him: “It motivates me and they know they can count on me in real big- game situations. This is a real big game that they put me in to get the job done. I’m pretty sure when they look at the tape and look at my performance they’ll see the things I did today.”

On the struggles the offense had in the first half followed by the change in the second half: “We pretty much ran the ball a little bit more than we did the first half. I knew that going downhill those guys would get tired easily and not be able to hold as well like they did in the first quarter. So, we just ran the ball and started getting some momentum up and getting Tony G[onzalez] open a lot more.”

Count Zarth
11-06-2005, 07:33 PM
QB TRENT GREEN Postgame Quotes
Nov 06, 2005, 4:33:00 PM

Sunday, November 6, 2005
Postgame Quotes
QB Trent Green

On Vermeil’s decision to run the ball instead of kicking the field goal: “He was kind of asking questions of everybody to see what everybody thought and everybody’s attitude. I know my two-cents was to go for it. I don’t know what everybody else was saying. I know as an offensive group we wanted to go for it. Those are all the decisions they make on the headsets, but no matter how that play ended up, that is where you have to send a message as a football team. I think that was great on his part to have the confidence in us. Obviously it’s important we were able to finish it off. I think you make that decision every time. Ultimately I am glad he made that decision. Now it’s different if you’re on the two or the three-yard line, but the fact we were inside the one, I think you go for it every time.“

On the offense’s mindset during the last drive: “After they scored, we knew we had two timeouts and I talked to Lawrence [Tynes] before I went out onto the field. He had told me we needed to get to the 37-yard line or the 35-yard line because those were the areas he felt [most] comfortable during pre-game warm-ups, [especially] with the direction of the wind. You just try making plays and getting the ball, and because of the timeouts you are able to throw the ball in the middle of the field. If you don’t have the timeouts and you’re stuck throwing to the boundary it makes it a lot harder. Then on that final completion to Larry [Johnson], it looked to me like they were in a two-man coverage. I don’t know if the guy covering Larry got confused because we had a crossing route underneath. I was looking for the crossing route because that would have picked us up another five to seven yards. But when that guy came through the crossing route and Larry popped open, maybe that drew the attention of the linebacker covering him. I just can’t say enough about the way everybody played. The defense played well throughout the game. Offensively, in the fourth quarter and second half we played well.“

On where this game ranks in his career, in terms of bizarre ending: “As far as bizarre, I don’t know just because we were in field-goal range. The fact that the Raiders used up about five minutes in that final drive to score. . . they just kept converting third downs and those sorts of things and that was frustrating. But the fact we got the ball back with two timeouts to go, we felt good about our chances of getting into field-goal range when Larry was able to convert that check down. It means a lot because of the emotions I have been going through the last 11 days. The emotion my family has been through and just the support I have gotten from everybody around town, the organization and players – it has really been an overwhelming 11 days. Emotions kind of take over in that situation so from an emotional standpoint this was probably as draining as any game I have been apart of.“

On his emotions, considering his dad wouldn’t be here but his mom was: “It ended up it wasn’t something that they all felt comfortable with and I completely understand. I supported it 100 percent. My brother and sister and their spouses and my mom just became too emotional. He’s never missed a game in Arrowhead, no matter if I was with the Redskins or the Rams or whoever. Anytime I played in Arrowhead he has been here and the fact that they have had the same season tickets now for five years and the same seats, it was just hard. They have gotten to know a lot of the people that sit around them and that would have just been very difficult for them. They just weren’t ready for it and I completely supported that. They felt bad because they felt like they weren’t there to support me and I said, ‘By no means; I understand what you are going through.’ They all watched it together and I am sure they are crying and happy. Before the game, I actually wanted to make sure that nobody sat in his seat, just because I know if the seats are left open people move down and get in there. I had gotten to the stadium a little bit early and put a little sign as a tribute on the seat and kind of taped the seat so nobody would sit on it. Hopefully the message got across. Somebody could always rip the tape and sit down but security saw me doing it and they said, ‘We will keep an eye on it and make sure.’ I said, ‘You know people sit in the other seats; that is fine, but just that one seat.’ It really meant a lot.“

What did the sign say? “It just said my dad’s name and that we miss him and love him and I just kind of taped it off so that everybody would understand. Security said they would give me an update but I think they kept up and did a pretty good job. Like I said, [my parents] have gotten to know a lot of the people around them so I am sure the people were a little defensive when they saw that.“

On getting here unusually early: “I got here earlier than I normally did because I wanted to go up there and get that done and not make sure there weren’t too many people around.“

Did you ever sneak a peak to look at the seat? “I did during warm-ups just to make sure. I am debating if I am going to tell you the seat. It’s in the family section so it’s down toward that end of the bench: behind our bench, down towards the end zone, where we scored last. Maybe it’s right around the 30-yard line. My wife and boys sit in the same seats every time, and I knew my mom, brother and sister and her families weren’t there, but my boys and my wife were. I can’t say enough; it was just very emotional I wanted to make eye contact with them and share that with them.”

Count Zarth
Chiefs Postgame Quotes - Raiders - Players
Nov 06, 2005, 5:03:05 PM

Sunday, November 6, 2005
Postgame Quotes
Chiefs Players

DE ERIC HICKS

On the play of Trent Green : “Trent Green just went out and played like a warrior today. He was under pressure a lot of the time and under the circumstance he’s been in, you can’t ask for much more from your starting quarterback. That guy is truly our team leader and our heart goes out to him. We appreciate all his efforts today.”

On Larry Johnson’s game-winning touchdown: “Everybody knows that Larry is a very talented back. He finally got his opportunity to start today, got all the rushes, caught some passes out of the backfield and showed what he could do. That is a great one-two tandem in Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson. I think anybody in the league would be lucky to have that. We’ll get Priest back soon. We’ll get some people back on offense and some people back on defense and we will be a formidable opponent going into the last eight games before the playoffs.”

On whether to kick the field goal or go for the touchdown: “No, go for it [the touchdown]. If you make a play down to the one [yard line] like that, you go for it.”

On the importance of this win heading into the rest of the season: “Yeah, I think this [win] could be the catalyst for great things [to come] for the rest of the season. This type of emotional win [is hard to find in sports]. I still can’t believe it.”

On six straight wins over the Raiders: “We know that we battle against the Raiders. We are usually able to overtake them in the fourth quarter. Even though it was a little bit of a different circumstance today, we usually go ahead of them in the fourth quarter. And, that is what happened again today.”

CB DEWAYNE WASHINGTON
On the secondary’s coverage of Randy Moss: “We just went out and played. Things could have easily went the opposite way. Fortunately for us, we were able to stay in his face. I think they [the Raiders] may have gotten frustrated a little early because they did not get some of those completions they wanted to early [in the game] to him. So, he was really out of the game initially.”

On the final drive of the game: “I believe that as long as there is time left on the clock, I know there is a chance for us to win. Once he [Johnson] made that run, I had all the confidence they would get in the end zone.”

S GREG WESLEY
On defeating the Raiders: “Every time we play these guys it always comes down to the last play. I think this has been the best one for me though. I’ve never seen this before. It’s great for the offense to make a play like that at the end of the game. I’m just happy to get the win.”

On the play of the Chiefs defense today: “I think we played well, but we still can’t let them get that last drive. We played well all game, but when it comes down to crunch time, we’ve got to make the plays and win the game. I’m a little disappointed in that, but overall we did a pretty good job.”

On his interception: “It was a deep throw to Randy Moss and it was kind of high. [Kerry Collins] has a habit of floating the ball a little bit. I just happened to break down on it and it was right there.”

On his reaction to the decision to go for the touchdown on the final play of the game: “I would have done the same thing. Forget overtime, you’re on the one-yard line. Let’s go for the score and be done with it and they made the right call.”

G BRIAN WATERS
On the game: “If we have to win games this way, then that will be it. We’ve got a lot of things and issues that we’ve got to get better at. We can’t continue to play games like this and watch our defense play great football [while] we kind of wallow around. We didn’t do a thing in the first half so we had to make up for it in the second half. Our defense helped get turnovers, our field position was great. We did our job good enough to win, but we’ve got to get better.”

On the performance of RB Larry Johnson: “He was a warrior today. He realized everything was on his shoulders. There were no backups. It was just him, and T-Rich [Tony Richardson] was going to come in and help out. We put it on his shoulders to make plays. At the end, you can’t ask for more from a young guy; a guy that’s ready to step up.”

Count Zarth
Chiefs Postgame Quotes - Raiders HC Norv Turner
Nov 06, 2005, 4:38:49 PM

Sunday, November 6, 2005
Postgame Quotes
Raiders Head Coach Norv Turner

On the tripping penalty in the 4th quarter: “Yeah, from where I am I didn’t get a good look at it. The player involved thought he was grabbed, obviously if there is a holding call. I thought it was a holding call. He thought he was held and he thought he was grabbed into it. As I said I didn’t get to see but it’s obviously a big call in the game.”

On intent having anything to do with the call: “I don’t know any call you evaluate to intent.”

On ranking this loss in his career: “I don’t rank them. They all hurt. I just know our guys fought and competed. There was a period there for both sides it looked rough and we were able to put a drive together that gave us a chance. We were able to stop them; that gave us another chance. We put a drive together. When we made the two-point conversion we went up by three. You thought at worst it would be over-time.”

On the Chiefs decision to run in for the touchdown to end the game: “I expect them to do what they do. They are an aggressive team and they work the ball up the field. They do a lot of things and obviously we didn’t cover the back.”

On QB Kerry Collins: “Kerry is playing well, and obviously there was a stretch there where we had a tough time. They gave us a couple new blitzes and we handled them early. Then we had two or three series in a row where we had trouble with [their defense] and then we handled them again late. When we handled them I thought he did some good things. They had a tough time getting a lot going against us and it was a mutual deal.”

On WR Randy Moss’ role in the game: “We were able to get a number of guys involved; a number of guys contributed. We threw the ball deep to Randy early. We had things on for him.”

QB KERRY COLLINS

On the game: “It’s one of the most bitter kinds of defeats you can have. It’s tough, you fight your way back and it’s a rough back. You find a way to get ahead and then it doesn’t work out. That’s about as tough as it gets.”

On the defensive pressure: “They brought everybody and anybody at any particular time. You got to take your hat off to them. They did a good job of getting into a rhythm. It took us three and a half quarters to figure out what we were going to do about it. We started moving the ball and making some plays. I’m proud of our guys for the way we fought. That’s as tough as it’s been all year.”

On the Chiefs decision to go for the touchdown on the final play: “It’s an aggressive move. We probably would have done the same thing. You play to win, that’s the deal. That’s what you play for. If you’re in that situation, you’re on the one yard line and as an offensive guy you have to think you’re going to get that touchdown.”

Were you preparing for overtime when the Chiefs were stopped on the one yard line? “Yes and no. Obviously, that was the big thing on my mind, that we’ll have to come out and do it again. They lined up, they were aggressive and made the play.”

WR JERRY PORTER
On the game: This is an AFC West game. You got to go out and try to get all your AFC West games, your rivals. We have to take care of business in our conference first. It also would have got us to .500 for the first time in a long time but we came up short. … We can take away a lot of positives. We won the game overall for 59 minutes and a half.

On the decision to go for the touchdown for the last play: “I was very surprised. It’s either score or lose and they scored.”

On the Raiders’ final drive: “As long as we are clicking we can run the ball and throw when we need to and take control of the clock. Kerry [Collins] did a good job of managing the game.

Bowser
11-06-2005, 07:34 PM
On a related note, Jerry Porter ws in full bitterman mode in his radio interview. Guess I would be too.

*edit

Nevermind.

tk13
11-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Before the game, I actually wanted to make sure that nobody sat in his seat, just because I know if the seats are left open people move down and get in there. I had gotten to the stadium a little bit early and put a little sign as a tribute on the seat and kind of taped the seat so nobody would sit on it.

Whew. I just have something in my eye... yeah, that's it.... darn eyelashes. :)

Coach
11-06-2005, 07:40 PM
I would had liked to hear Allen's comments, especially that bogus roughing-the-passer penalty.

I would imagine the people who were doing this would have their work cut out by replacing the swear words. Heh heh.

siberian khatru
11-06-2005, 08:16 PM
I had gotten to the stadium a little bit early and put a little sign as a tribute on the seat and kind of taped the seat so nobody would sit on it. Hopefully the message got across. Somebody could always rip the tape and sit down but security saw me doing it and they said, ‘We will keep an eye on it and make sure.’ I said, ‘You know people sit in the other seats; that is fine, but just that one seat.’ It really meant a lot.“

Wow.

Just ... wow.

KChiefsQT
11-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Whew. I just have something in my eye... yeah, that's it.... darn eyelashes. :)

you're telling me. :(

Bob Dole
11-06-2005, 09:04 PM
We can take away a lot of positives. We won the game overall for 59 minutes and a half.

Yo, Jerry.

9 < 20.

Idiot.

Gaz
11-07-2005, 07:17 AM
I particularly liked reading Johnson’s comments. He shows a more mature attitude. Maybe this will help the adversary relationship that seems to exist between him and the staff.

xoxo~
Gaz
Glad to see the young man have his day.

Gaz
11-07-2005, 07:19 AM
You know, comments like Porter’s make me smile, because you can just taste how bitter he is.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not a very nice man.

Rausch
11-07-2005, 07:21 AM
On what the game meant to him: “This means a lot. This is the first game in my career where someone has trusted me to put the ball in the end zone with four seconds. If we don’t score, we don’t win. Coach Vermeil, regardless of what we go through on a daily basis, for him to trust me to put the ball into the end zone during a big game like this means a lot to me.”

Nice...