PDA

View Full Version : Midseason thoughts

Wallcrawler
11-06-2005, 10:42 PM
5-3.

Things could be a lot worse, but when you think about all of the troubles that this team has had with injuries and O-Coordinator foulups, to be able to still win 5/8 games is still a nice first half of the year.

I think about what could have been had there not been questionable playcalling in the Philly and SD games.

In my mind, the only game the Chiefs truly lost to their opponent was against Denver. That was the only game that I saw where the Chiefs just got their asses kicked.

The Philadelphia debacle is all on Al Saunders, and nothing will change my mind on that. You cant just go away from Holmes when he's tearing ass through the opposing defense, just because you think you need more yards per play. Biggest comeback on the Chiefs in franchise history.

SD was similar. Had Saunders' gameplan challenged the Chargers secondary in the first half downfield rather than running straight into the teeth of the #2 rushing defense, I think we win that game. Green put up 312 yards passing in the second half alone.

5-3 is not bad, lot of teams out there with as many or more losses than that. But when you think about it, this team could have been, should be 7-1 right now. Its not a stretch of the imagination by any means to think that this team could have that record right now. As I said before, the Denver game is the only game where the Chiefs as a whole just totally got beaten and really had no chance at winning the game.

If the Chiefs can put it all together, get healthy and stay smart through the second half of the season, they will make the playoffs, and possibly be playing for a shot to host a playoff game.

Count Alex's Wins
11-06-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm just glad the Chiefs are in the hunt. Last year at this time we were hanging by a thread. We were screwed is closer to the truth.

The schedule sets up perfectly for us to have a great second half.

Chromatic
11-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Last year at this time we were 3-5. I say we should be happy with the improvements.

If the offense can get into a good groove, we'd be in great shape.

Count Alex's Wins
11-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Something I just noticed about today...

The longest play we gave up was 21 yards. After that it was 19, and then 13.

That's definitely an improvement in my book.

CoMoChief
11-07-2005, 02:36 AM
I'm just glad the Chiefs are in the hunt. Last year at this time we were hanging by a thread. We were screwed is closer to the truth.

The schedule sets up perfectly for us to have a great second half.

It just sucks that the AFC is so good that wildcard teams aren't set in stone until the last week and you can have some bullshit team in the NFC playoffs like the St.Louis Rams and Seattle Seahawks who both had 8-8 records. I can't even remember the last time an 8-8 team made the playoffs let alone two 8-8 teams make it. You put KC in the NFC West or North, we would be a 12-4, 13-3 team almost every season.

greg63
11-07-2005, 03:09 AM
Agreed, 5-3 is nothing to sneeze at mid way through the season, and your right about the Denver game - it was the only game where the Chiefs didn't really show up for.

greg63
11-07-2005, 03:12 AM
It just sucks that the AFC is so good that wildcard teams aren't set in stone until the last week and you can have some bullshit team in the NFC playoffs like the St.Louis Rams and Seattle Seahawks who both had 8-8 records. I can't even remember the last time an 8-8 team made the playoffs let alone two 8-8 teams make it. You put KC in the NFC West or North, we would be a 12-4, 13-3 team almost every season.
A few years back Dallas went to the play-offs at 8-8, and they were the first, that I know of, to do that. But, I don't know for sure.

Miles
11-07-2005, 03:35 AM

Wouldnt say its an AFC thing. The NFC East is a pretty damn solid division this year and the only one to not have a losing team.

ChiefFripp
11-07-2005, 03:39 AM
We still haven't beaten a good team, but If the feeling of today's win boosts The Chief's morale and we get some our key players back, I see that changing. Also ,the coaches cannot afford to ignore Larry johnson's ability any longer, he needs to get more snaps, maybe not more than Holmes when he is healthy, but more than he has been getting.

Miles
11-07-2005, 03:58 AM
We still haven't beaten a good team, but If the feeling of today's win boosts The Chief's morale and we get some our key players back, I see that changing. Also ,the coaches cannot afford to ignore Larry johnson's ability any longer, he needs to get more snaps, maybe not more than Holmes when he is healthy, but more than he has been getting.

Think Washington might be considered a good team. They have several solid wins and a winning record.

ChiefFripp
11-07-2005, 04:03 AM
Yeah but it's Washington . Y'know?

Mecca
11-07-2005, 04:18 AM
The way this is breaking, that last game of the year against Cincy could decide who's going to the playoffs.

Gaz
11-07-2005, 06:54 AM
The Eagles game was winnable, but was lost by turnovers. We had them down and then proceeded to gift them with the ball time after time. You simply are not going to win when you turn the ball over that many times.

The San Diego game was not quite as winnable because our OL failed to keep the Chargers out of our backfield all game long. Had the OL not played matador all day long, the Offense might not have spotted the Chargers an 18-point lead. Crappy blocking is not Saunders’ fault.

The Denver game was lost because the Broncos kicked our butts. Plain and simple.

The Oakland wins were ugly, but they were AFC West wins. The Washington and Miami victories were struggles. The Jets game was sheer domination from start to finish.

The best thing about the wins is the improvement of the Defense. Sure, they are giving up a lot of yards and they are still pretty bad against the pass [no pass rush]. But they are considerably better against the run, which is, IMO, the foundation for a good Defense. The 2005 Chiefs D is still far from good, but I do see steady [if frustratingly slow] improvement.

I remain quite concerned about the inconsistency of the Offense. Our OL is aging and the cracks are showing. If we keep taking long drops and running the fake handoff fake reverse play action stuff, Green is going to get his head removed. Saunders needs to take the deterioration of our OL into account in his playcalling.

Kick coverage teams still stink. Guys are out of position on nearly every play. And the penalties during Hall returns continue to pile up. On the bright side, both Tynes and Colquitt are doing a fine job.

At 5-3, we are in good shape. The Eagles loss still rankles, because that one was in our grasp and we fumbled it away. But it is time to put that one away. Bygones.

One game behind the Broncos, one game ahead of the Chargers. And both of them have to come to Arrowhead. Our next couple of games are against sub-par teams, which might be just the medicine this fledgling Defense and sputtering Offense need to get on track before the rough stuff begins.

At this point, I am cautiously optimistic. We just won a tough game against an AFC West with some of our key starters out of the game. If we can repair our leaking OL, I think we can do some real damage in the second half.

xoxo~
Gaz
Riding a happy wave at the moment.

siberian khatru
11-07-2005, 07:05 AM
The Eagles game was winnable, but was lost by turnovers. We had them down and then proceeded to gift them with the ball time after time. You simply are not going to win when you turn the ball over that many times.

The San Diego game was not quite as winnable because our OL failed to keep the Chargers out of our backfield all game long. Had the OL not played matador all day long, the Offense might not have spotted the Chargers an 18-point lead. Crappy blocking is not Saunders’ fault.

The Denver game was lost because the Broncos kicked our butts. Plain and simple.

The Oakland wins were ugly, but they were AFC West wins. The Washington and Miami victories were struggles. The Jets game was sheer domination from start to finish.

The best thing about the wins is the improvement of the Defense. Sure, they are giving up a lot of yards and they are still pretty bad against the pass [no pass rush]. But they are considerably better against the run, which is, IMO, the foundation for a good Defense. The 2005 Chiefs D is still far from good, but I do see steady [if frustratingly slow] improvement.

I remain quite concerned about the inconsistency of the Offense. Our OL is aging and the cracks are showing. If we keep taking long drops and running the fake handoff fake reverse play action stuff, Green is going to get his head removed. Saunders needs to take the deterioration of our OL into account in his playcalling.

Kick coverage teams still stink. Guys are out of position on nearly every play. And the penalties during Hall returns continue to pile up. On the bright side, both Tynes and Colquitt are doing a fine job.

At 5-3, we are in good shape. The Eagles loss still rankles, because that one was in our grasp and we fumbled it away. But it is time to put that one away. Bygones.

One game behind the Broncos, one game ahead of the Chargers. And both of them have to come to Arrowhead. Our next couple of games are against sub-par teams, which might be just the medicine this fledgling Defense and sputtering Offense need to get on track before the rough stuff begins.

At this point, I am cautiously optimistic. We just won a tough game against an AFC West with some of our key starters out of the game. If we can repair our leaking OL, I think we can do some real damage in the second half.

xoxo~
Gaz
Riding a happy wave at the moment.

Spot on.

Mile High Mania
11-07-2005, 07:12 AM
The NFC put at least one 8-8 team in last year...

But, regarding the AFCW, it's going to be another drag it out until the last weekend to see who wins the division. Den, SD and KC all have the talent to advance - and mostly thanks to injuries, I think KC is the most inconsistent of those 3.

However, there's a lot of fooball to be played. Denver has 5 of 8 road games (including all AFCW teams). SD and KC each have their scheduling concerns, but three teams sitting there between 5 and 6 wins... nothing is for certain.

I like that Denver has the Raiders, Jets and Ravens in Denver... and if they protect their house, that's 9 wins. That leaves road games at SD, Oak, KC, Dallas and Buffalo. That's a tough road to hoe. I think they could win potentially at Oak, Dallas or possibly Buffalo.

It's going to be tough to win any of those games on the road, but protect home and there's 9 wins... so that's good... means just win 2 of those road games (Oak and Buf) and there's 11 wins.

Too early for wild ass scenarios. It's tight and anything can happen at this point.

Rausch
11-07-2005, 07:16 AM
It's going to be tough to win any of those games on the road, but protect home and there's 9 wins... so that's good... means just win 2 of those road games (Oak and Buf) and there's 11 wins.

Too early for wild ass scenarios. It's tight and anything can happen at this point.

In the AFC 11 wins is a wild card.

Steelers, Bengals, Pats, and Colts are pretty much locks.

I don't see the Jagwads playing up to their potential for 8 weeks.

We probably will see to AFCW teams in the offseason afterall.

Mile High Mania
11-07-2005, 07:19 AM
In the AFC 11 wins is a wild card.

Steelers, Bengals, Pats, and Colts are pretty much locks.

I don't see the Jagwads playing up to their potential for 8 weeks.

We probably will see to AFCW teams in the offseason afterall.

We'll see how the Pats do tonight. If they lose, then they're no lock.

11 wins could win the AFCW, unless you think KC is really going to go 7-1 or something down the stretch or SD is going to go 7-0 and win the division with 12 wins.

Rausch
11-07-2005, 07:29 AM
11 wins could win the AFCW, unless you think KC is really going to go 7-1 or something down the stretch or SD is going to go 7-0 and win the division with 12 wins.

Nope.

But out of SD, KC, and Den I could see two 11-5 teams, with it comming down to AFC/AFCW tie breakers for the div.

The Pats, Cinci, and Cowboy games are the monkeywrench IMO. Out of those three you never know when they'll show up with their A game.

If KC or Den have a bad offensive day any of those three could beat us...

Mile High Mania
11-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Nope.

But out of SD, KC, and Den I could see two 11-5 teams, with it comming down to AFC/AFCW tie breakers for the div.

The Pats, Cinci, and Cowboy games are the monkeywrench IMO. Out of those three you never know when they'll show up with their A game.

If KC or Den have a bad offensive day any of those three could beat us...

I definitely agree with that... good thing for me I don't have to worry about the Chad Johnson / Bailey match-up. The Cowboys on Turkey Day concerns me... I almost waive my right to be optimistic about the KC game in KC after last year.

I definitely see the 3 home games as very winnable... I also think that Denver could have a realistic shot of winning in Dallas and Buffalo.

It's a tight race and as you said, any slip up is critical which is why I fear that I'll be cursing that loss to the Giants later this season.

Rausch
11-07-2005, 07:36 AM
I definitely agree with that... good thing for me I don't have to worry about the Chad Johnson / Bailey match-up. The Cowboys on Turkey Day concerns me... I almost waive my right to be optimistic about the KC game in KC after last year.

I definitely see the 3 home games as very winnable... I also think that Denver could have a realistic shot of winning in Dallas and Buffalo.

It's a tight race and as you said, any slip up is critical which is why I fear that I'll be cursing that loss to the Giants later this season.

If I had to pick a choke game for each I'd guess the Cowboys on turkey day and Cinci v. KC.

Those two games just reek of letdown...

Mile High Mania
11-07-2005, 07:41 AM
If I had to pick a choke game for each I'd guess the Cowboys on turkey day and Cinci v. KC.

Those two games just reek of letdown...

I actually fear the Bills (road) and/or Ravens (home) as letdown games.

Rausch
11-07-2005, 07:52 AM
I actually fear the Bills (road) and/or Ravens (home) as letdown games.

The Ravens are a horrible team. The defense can keep them in it for the 1st half but after that their azzes are dragging and the game is over.

I'm not impressed by the bills either...

John_Wayne
11-07-2005, 09:00 AM
At least the Chiefs have Denver and SD at home in the 2nd half of the season. I'd say we have a 50/50 shot of beating Denver at Arrowhead.

"Had Saunders' gameplan challenged the Chargers secondary in the first half downfield rather than running straight into the teeth of the #2 rushing defense, I think we win that game. Green put up 312 yards passing in the second half alone."

Knowing this, I think we have a 65/35 chance to beat SD at home.

With that said, I think we can go 6-2 in the second half of the season and finish at 11-5.

Cochise
11-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Gun finally pulled his head out this week and decided to start blitzing. Good work.

htismaqe
11-07-2005, 10:33 AM
At least the Chiefs have Denver and SD at home in the 2nd half of the season. I'd say we have a 50/50 shot of beating Denver at Arrowhead.

"Had Saunders' gameplan challenged the Chargers secondary in the first half downfield rather than running straight into the teeth of the #2 rushing defense, I think we win that game. Green put up 312 yards passing in the second half alone."

Knowing this, I think we have a 65/35 chance to beat SD at home.

With that said, I think we can go 6-2 in the second half of the season and finish at 11-5.

We could have, and probably SHOULD have, beaten both San Diego and Philly.

I honestly think this team is capable of running the table, but they won't. And I actually hope they don't - I don't want to finish 13-3.

I'd take a 6-2 finish.

greg63
11-07-2005, 12:19 PM

Agreed, I've never been a big fan of the way Johnson has handled the situation, but I guess the coaches could have handled it better also. Maybe if the coaches just started to ignore his mouth. Good post. :thumb:

KChiefs1
11-07-2005, 12:28 PM
5-3 is right where I had the Chiefs predicted to be. I see them going 6-2 the rest of the way & finishing 11-5 winning the AFC West.

CupidStunt
11-07-2005, 01:28 PM
If San Diego keeps making tough work of trash like the Jets with their 4th string QB playing, and already having 4 losses, they ain't doing shit.

Mile High Mania
11-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm reading a lot of 6-2 talk down the stretch...

@Bills (3-5)
@Texans (1-7)
vs Patriots (4-3)
vs Broncos (6-2)
@Cowboys (5-3)
@Giants (6-2)
vs Chargers (5-4)
vs Bengals (7-2)

What are you guys seeing as the only 2 losses? I don't really see any "definite" losses, but @ Dallas, Buffalo and NY will not be easy.

Playing at Arrowhead is tough, very tough for visiting teams, but the 4 teams on the schedule all have good records right now. I won't be shocked if the AFCW champ only has 10 wins...

Those last 5 games for KC are all against teams that are playing damn good football right now and would 2-3 losses in that stretch really shock you guys?

Again - I'm not asking b/c I think Denver's going to run the table by any means. They're 6-2 right now, but 4-4 down the stretch will not shock me at all... but even if they do that, it could be enough to win the division with the right tiebreakers.

KChiefsQT
11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
A few years back Dallas went to the play-offs at 8-8, and they were the first, that I know of, to do that. But, I don't know for sure.

That's the NFC for you. I think we should go by records and not by N, W, S, E divisions. While it would minimize division rivals... idiots going 8-8 would have no chance for a wildcard.

Hoover
11-07-2005, 01:51 PM
The way this is breaking, that last game of the year against Cincy could decide who's going to the playoffs.
Heck they could be resting players

greg63
11-07-2005, 02:40 PM
That's the NFC for you. I think we should go by records and not by N, W, S, E divisions. While it would minimize division rivals... idiots going 8-8 would have no chance for a wildcard.

Yup! :thumb: