PDA

View Full Version : Don't Get Too Hyped Up

B_Ambuehl
11-07-2005, 12:48 AM
It wouldn't be Monday without me bitching so just a couple of things to complain about.

1. This kickoff coverage unit can't stop anybody and if they don't get some improvement quick it'll jump up and bite us in the ass and outright cost us a football game. I think this is a direct result of not having enough "athletes" on the roster. Most teams have a myriad of guys at the CB, safety, WR, and LB position who are fast and can run downfield and make plays on special teams. Our top guys (Boerigter, Horn, Stills, Scanbacker, Grigsby) are all slower and less agile as a unit then what would be ideal for a kickoff coverage unit. Add to that the fact that the kicker can't get the ball downfield and our kickoff coverage unit is atrocious.

2. Sammy Knight needs to butch up and tackle somebody in the open field. It's bad enough that he often struggles in coverage due to his speed, but this guy is supposed to play SS like a linebacker and I'm tired of seeing guys run through his tackles out in the open field or back behind the line of scrimmage. He's been in the backfield with shots at the quarterback 5+ times this year and has yet to finish one off. If you want to have a guy the defense can feed off of that guy needs to make the plays that are there to be made. Thus far this season, tackles that were there to be made on his part has cost us 3 touchdowns (Gates, Chambers, Moss) and multiple first downs.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-07-2005, 01:05 AM
they better step up the kick coverage this week cause we'll be facing one of the best returners in the league in terrence mcgee.

onescrewleftuntwisted
11-07-2005, 01:14 AM
its not monday

SNR
11-07-2005, 01:49 AM
its not mondayYes it is

B_Ambuehl
11-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Additionally, people are raving about the defense but remember the defense looked good in week 1 and 2 horrible in week 3 and 4. They looked superb against miami and horrible against SD. What happened yesterday was a combination of good defense and bad offense. Three things really stood out.

1. KCs back 4 did a better job then they have all season defending the field during blitz calls. Instead of being too far off their man and allowing easy completions underneath or too close to their man and allowing easy separation they played things pretty much perfect making it very difficult on Collins and the receivers.

2. Norv Turner and Co. did a pretty piss poor job on not necessarily play calling, but the type of pass plays and routes they were having their receivers run vs KC blitzes. Up until the 4th quarter I don't think I saw a quick hitting play or any hot routes which is what you need against an aggressive blitz.

3. KCs defense did a much better job for 3 quarters not being so blatantly obvious and telegraphing every blitz call like they've done the majority of the time this year. The best illustration of that was Kawikas sack. In the 4th quarter they seemed to revert back to their traditional ways thus the 2 touchdown drives.

Mr. Laz
11-07-2005, 12:15 PM
we do still have lots of issues ... but for today we are still alive.

Tribal Warfare
11-07-2005, 12:15 PM
The OL is inconsistent, I'm not sold on Welbourne, and Black's an average RT.

Welbourne and Black almost killed Green in the first half. Missing blocking assignments, and horrid footwork didn't help.

In the offseason KC better look hard at FA OL for the best available Linemen.

KCTitus
11-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Defense couldnt tackle Jordan to save their lives...frustrating.

B_Ambuehl
11-07-2005, 12:27 PM
The first series in particular the tackling was absolutely horrid. Knight was a major reason why. Thank goodness Warfield was out there yesterday.

Calcountry
11-07-2005, 12:29 PM
It wouldn't be Monday without me bitching so just a couple of things to complain about.

1. This kickoff coverage unit can't stop anybody and if they don't get some improvement quick it'll jump up and bite us in the ass and outright cost us a football game. I think this is a direct result of not having enough "athletes" on the roster. Most teams have a myriad of guys at the CB, safety, WR, and LB position who are fast and can run downfield and make plays on special teams. Our top guys (Boerigter, Horn, Stills, Scanbacker, Grigsby) are all slower and less agile as a unit then what would be ideal for a kickoff coverage unit. Add to that the fact that the kicker can't get the ball downfield and our kickoff coverage unit is atrocious.

2. Sammy Knight needs to butch up and tackle somebody in the open field. It's bad enough that he often struggles in coverage due to his speed, but this guy is supposed to play SS like a linebacker and I'm tired of seeing guys run through his tackles out in the open field or back behind the line of scrimmage. He's been in the backfield with shots at the quarterback 5+ times this year and has yet to finish one off. If you want to have a guy the defense can feed off of that guy needs to make the plays that are there to be made. Thus far this season, tackles that were there to be made on his part has cost us 3 touchdowns (Gates, Chambers, Moss) and multiple first downs.What was up with the tackling on the first couple of Raider drives.

Ceej
11-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Jordan Black, should just.. just DIE.

BigRedChief
11-07-2005, 12:33 PM
We are ranked 28th out of 32 teams on total defense.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TOTAL/2005/regular?sort_col_1=4

We are ranked 30th out of 32 teams on total pass defense
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2005/regular?sort_col_1=4

We are ranked 8th out of 32 teams on total run defense. But thats only because teams are having success against us with the pass and they don't run the ball.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-RUSHING/2005/regular?sort_col_1=7

I don't think thats acceptable for a team with playoff aspirations. But I think we can get better. Can we get better in 7 weeks, sure. Good enough to go on the road into Indy and beat them there? Doubtful.But the game of football is played with emotion and momentum. Maybe just maybe "The Dive" will be enough to push us over the edge into the legitamate playoff contender catagory.

Sure-Oz
11-07-2005, 12:37 PM
if we had the offense of the last 2 years we'd be one of the top teams easy. too bad

Chromatic
11-07-2005, 12:58 PM
if we had the offense of the last 2 years we'd be one of the top teams easy. too bad

Our offense, in a sense, is in the same league of the past 2 years. It's just we seem to have major problems in the red zone. :banghead:

stevieray
11-07-2005, 01:01 PM
too hyped up?

that doesn't even come close.

B_Ambuehl
11-07-2005, 01:02 PM
I think a lot of those red zone "problems" are due to the fact that this year this offense has faced multiple 1st and goals from the 8-10 yard line instead of first and goal from the 3. 1st and goal from the 10 is a very difficult position to score from.