PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fighter II

BIG_DADDY
11-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Just so you guys are aware the fights in this were awesome. Well worth looking into when Spike will be showing it again.

ArrowheadHawk
11-07-2005, 12:47 PM
i watched it also it was pretty good

i cant wait for the ppv on the 19th

jidar
11-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Oh hell yes. they had a marathon over the weekend after the finale so I got to catch a couple of episodes I missed, but the fighting in this show is getting better and better.

Calcountry
11-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Just so you guys are aware the fights in this were awesome. Well worth looking into when Spike will be showing it again.Fug an A, dude you are here?!!/! How did you do on your picks this weekend?

GoTrav
11-07-2005, 12:50 PM
i watched it also it was pretty good

i cant wait for the ppv on the 19th

me either. Wish Seth would have made it to fight Rashaud, would have been a lot better fight than Imes gave him. Rashaud impressed me though, I didn't think he had it in him.

Who all is fighting on the 19th? Hughes and Franklin but who else?

BIG_DADDY
11-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Fug an A, dude you are here?!!/! How did you do on your picks this weekend?

I did pretty good this week it was the week before that messed me up.

BIG_DADDY
11-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Who all is fighting on the 19th? Hughes and Hamilton but who else?

This is the card.

http://www.ufc.tv/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.FightCard&eid=116

ArrowheadHawk
11-07-2005, 12:53 PM
me either. Wish Seth would have made it to fight Rashaud, would have been a lot better fight than Imes gave him. Rashaud impressed me though, I didn't think he had it in him.

Who all is fighting on the 19th? Hughes and Hamilton but who else?
Rich Franklin Vs. Nate Quarry

Matt Hughes Vs. Joe Riggs

Georges St. Pierre Vs. Sean Sherk

Jeremy Horn Vs. Trevor Prangley

Kevin Jordan Vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

here is a link http://www.ufc.tv/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.FightCard&eid=116

GoTrav
11-07-2005, 12:53 PM
http://www.ufc.tv/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.FightCard&eid=116

just found it and I don't know why I said Hamilton =P

Bill Lundberg
11-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Every fight on the card Saturday was a great fight. I really think it won't be long before this becomes even more main streamed. I'm a big Luke Cummo fan, I didn't think he would stand a chance against Joe, but he more than held his own. I gotta give props to Rashad also, never really cared much for him, but he got better every time he fought.

BIG_DADDY
11-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Every fight on the card Saturday was a great fight. I really think it won't be long before this becomes even more main streamed. I'm a big Luke Cummo fan, I didn't think he would stand a chance against Joe, but he more than held his own. I gotta give props to Rashad also, never really cared much for him, but he got better every time he fought.

I hope so we need something besides the UFC in the United States. Dana White and the rest of the clowns that run the UFC have become way to big for their own britches. The timing is perfect right now for someone else to come in with big bucks and grab a large chunk of this market. The UFC treats the fighters and the people who helped them get to where they are like shit.

GoTrav
11-07-2005, 01:04 PM
I hope so we need something besides the UFC in the United States. Dana White and the rest of the clowns that run the UFC have become way to big for their own britches. The timing is perfect right now for someone else to come in with big bucks and grab a large chunk of this market. The UFC treats the fighters and the people who helped them get to where they are like shit.

How so? I was wondering what some of the UFC stars make (Ortiz, Belfort, Hughes, etc), it seems like a lot of the original UFC guys are off doing PRIDE now; and I'm just wondering what that six figure deal for the ultimate fighter really looks like...probably 100k? Not that I would complain but...

I saw a documentary on Cinemax about the UFC guys, can't remember the dudes name but he had a rocking pain killer addiction and Mark Coleman, when he was pretty big, was living in an sub-par apartment with a wife and a kid.

Calcountry
11-07-2005, 01:07 PM
I did pretty good this week it was the week before that messed me up.I am like 5-0-1 this weekend. Damn Bears.

:D

TrickyNicky
11-07-2005, 01:14 PM
How so? I was wondering what some of the UFC stars make (Ortiz, Belfort, Hughes, etc), it seems like a lot of the original UFC guys are off doing PRIDE now; and I'm just wondering what that six figure deal for the ultimate fighter really looks like...probably 100k? Not that I would complain but...

I saw a documentary on Cinemax about the UFC guys, can't remember the dudes name but he had a rocking pain killer addiction and Mark Coleman, when he was pretty big, was living in an sub-par apartment with a wife and a kid.
Thats "The Smashing Machine: Life and Times of Mark Kerr."

Pride rules (Stomps/kicks and Knees to downed opponents) were recently sanctioned in California. Expect Pride to have a U.S. show in the next two years. Personally I am hoping for an annual Pride vs. UFC show much like what Pride and K-1 did with Dynamite/Shockwave, the New Years Eve show.

BIG_DADDY
11-07-2005, 01:39 PM

The regular fighters make a couple grand a fight it ain't shit. It's gotten so bad that nobody in my school even wants to support them anymore and we usually have one guy pay and then make copies for everyone else.They shined on full contact fighter and all the other media that has helped build them too. That's why so many fighters have left for Pride they treat people like crap. The way they look at the fighters over in Japan is different too. Frank Shamrock said he made 10k just off endorsements under the table when he fought there last. THe market is huge here and the UFC is making money hand over fist there is no reason for them to be such asshats to everyone. The prodigy BJ Penn got so pissed at the scraps they wanted to give him started his own fights called Rumble on the Rock. http://www.rumbleontherock.com/
I would support them if we could just get some PPV events offered.

BIG_DADDY
11-07-2005, 01:42 PM
I am like 5-0-1 this weekend. Damn Bears.

:D

Yea your having a great week keep it up.

Duck Dog
11-07-2005, 01:45 PM
I love that show but the UFC website inadvertently gives away who the winning fighters are before the show airs. I kind of stumbled upon the clues the other night, and then confirmed my suspicions when Rashad Evans and Brad Imes won in the semis. (Imes' mother is a KC native, BTW)

TrickyNicky
11-07-2005, 01:49 PM
I love that show but the UFC website inadvertently gives away who the winning fighters are before the show airs. I kind of stumbled upon the clues the other night, and then confirmed my suspicions when Rashad Evans and Brad Imes won in the semis. (Imes' mother is a KC native, BTW)
She also recently passed away (RIP)

|Zach|
11-07-2005, 02:24 PM
I caught a few episodes early and then watched a good deal of the marathon leading up to the finale. Really fun to watch.

ChiefsFanatic
11-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Joe said that he separated his clavicle from his sternum two weeks ago, but did not disclose it because he wanted to fight. Luke's ground defense improved greatly in the four months between the last episode and the finale. I was impressed.

I liked Rashaad from the very first episode. A welterweight, Melvin, was blasting off at the mouth about how he could beat anybody and what not. The usual stuff. Rashaad calmly explained to him that instead of all the talking, he should show everyone how good he was in the ring. He did it respectfully, though. Of course, Melvin lost his first fight.

Those punches that Brad and Rashaad landed would have knocked a lot of people out.

Bill Lundberg
11-07-2005, 03:21 PM
From mmaweekly.com

Speculation has run rampid about the future of Nick Diaz. There were some things backstage that did not sit well with management before the fight even began.

Apparantely it stems from a backstage incident between Diaz and Sanchez. There obviously was some heat before the fight started between the two fighters. One fighter who competed on the show told MMAWeekly.com quote "It was bizarre before the fight. We were all warming up backstage and Diaz and Sanchez were verbally jawing one with another. There isn't a whole lot of room backstage. Then Diaz took off his shoe and threw it at Diego. They almost had a brawl backstage before the fight even started."

Diaz didn't make many friends in the crowd either watching live at the Hard Rock Hotel. Before the fight started, Diaz flipped off Sanchez across the ring and yelled some profanities at Sanchez. The crowd watching in attendance that was already pro-Sanchez starting booing Diaz at the jesture. Was it part of Diaz's plan to win the pyschological war by playing mind games? Probably. The biggest arguement against that though was the problem the that this was on Spike TV, not pay per view television. People are much more lenient on pay per view compared to free tv.

As far as Diaz'a contract goes, this was NOT the last fight on Diaz's contract as a few websites had reported, but with any contract once you lose a fight you can be cut at anytime.

MMAWeekly Radio host and former UFC Fighter Frank Trigg talked about UFC contract's today on the radio show. Trigg said "People think that since you are cut from your contract that you will never be back. That isn't the case. Somewhere down the road guys come back. I think Ivan Salaverry will be back and other guys will be back. Bottom line, it's business. If you are making 10,000 for your first fight, 15,000 for your second and 20,000 for your third fight of a contract, it's smart for Zuffa to cut you after your second fight if you lose. Then they don't have to pay you 20 grand for your last fight. Instead, if you lose, then they can pay you less money which is good business period. As far as Diaz goes, it could go either way. If he pissed them off he won't be back, if they know it was gamesmanship, then he will."

BIG_DADDY
11-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Then they don't have to pay you 20 grand for your last fight. Instead, if you lose, then they can pay you less money which is good business period. As far as Diaz goes, it could go either way. If he pissed them off he won't be back, if they know it was gamesmanship, then he will."

Go to Pride where they pay you based upon winning and not micromanaging fighters. UFC is making a killing we need someone else to pick up the ball here. I am sick of looking at Dana Whites smirky ass anyway Southworth should have puched that punk in the face in the 1st Ultimate Fighter. I will say one thing though the UFC has really promoted the sport in this country but it's time they had a little competition here. BTW mmaweekly is another media source they gave the boot to recently.

Bill Lundberg
11-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Here's the link to a very good mma forum

http://mma.tv/tuf

Duck Dog
11-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Question??? Is there a ranking system in either UFC or Pride? I searched the UFC site and found only an alphabetical listing of fighters by class. I think if there was a better advertised ranking system, so we could learn who the fighters are more people would watch. Otherwise you really don't have anyone to root for that wasn't on the show.

TrickyNicky
11-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Question??? Is there a ranking system in either UFC or Pride? I searched the UFC site and found only an alphabetical listing of fighters by class. I think if there was a better advertised ranking system, so we could learn who the fighters are more people would watch. Otherwise you really don't have anyone to root for that wasn't on the show. Nope, no official rankings. All the rankings are done through polling by various MMA news organizations. Of course you can easily spot the contenders based on how big of a push the companies give them.

Iowanian
11-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Diaz is a cocky prick.
I wanted Lawler to knock his head off, and really wanted Sanchez to mess his ass up worse.

Spicy McHaggis
11-07-2005, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=Black Ice]me either. Wish Seth would have made it to fight Rashaud, would have been a lot better fight than Imes gave him. Rashaud impressed me though, I didn't think he had it in him.[QUOTE]

That was my favorite fight of the night. Both those guys left everything they had in the ring. I have no idea how Imes was standing much less continuing to come at Rashaud after some of those shots. Imes will only get better with experience but he was outclassed that night.

Simplex3
11-07-2005, 10:23 PM
I thought Rashad probably progressed the most as a human being through that show. He went from an arrogant prick to an intelligent human being. His comment when Rogan asked him about dropping down a weight class after beating Imes was impressive. Something like "There's a new breed of heavyweight in the UFC and they're built like him. I don't know how many more fights like this I have in me. Yeah, I'm going to think about dropping a weight class." Smart call. He'll dominate down a class.

Simplex3
11-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Go to Pride where they pay you based upon winning and not micromanaging fighters. UFC is making a killing we need someone else to pick up the ball here. I am sick of looking at Dana Whites smirky ass anyway Southworth should have puched that punk in the face in the 1st Ultimate Fighter. I will say one thing though the UFC has really promoted the sport in this country but it's time they had a little competition here. BTW mmaweekly is another media source they gave the boot to recently.
Right now the UFC is dumping a TON of money into the marketing. It also looks like they're trying to break the strangle-hold some of the sponsors have on the fighters by not allowing them to stand there after the fight pimping Joe's Tire Shack.

ChiefsFanatic
11-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Diaz is a cocky prick.
I wanted Lawler to knock his head off, and really wanted Sanchez to mess his ass up worse.

Me too. I was glad to see him get his ass kicked. Rogan asked him after the fight if he now believed that Sanchez belonged in the UFC, and he still said no. I want to see the rematch so he can get busted up even worse.

Duck Dog
11-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Diaz is a cocky prick.

I hate that dickhead too. Lawler looked way off his game against him.

TrickyNicky
11-08-2005, 08:09 AM
I thought Rashad probably progressed the most as a human being through that show. He went from an arrogant prick to an intelligent human being. His comment when Rogan asked him about dropping down a weight class after beating Imes was impressive. Something like "There's a new breed of heavyweight in the UFC and they're built like him. I don't know how many more fights like this I have in me. Yeah, I'm going to think about dropping a weight class." Smart call. He'll dominate down a class.
A class that has Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture in it will be just as hard to succeed in.

Simplex3
11-08-2005, 09:24 AM
A class that has Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture in it will be just as hard to succeed in.
By "dominate" I didn't mean he'd be the champ within 2 mos. I just meant he'd be a top 10 fighter in the class in a couple of years or less. I don't think he's a top 10 heavyweight.

BIG_DADDY
11-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Right now the UFC is dumping a TON of money into the marketing. It also looks like they're trying to break the strangle-hold some of the sponsors have on the fighters by not allowing them to stand there after the fight pimping Joe's Tire Shack.

There are a ton of these fighters sponsored by full contact fighter magazine and other MMA media. UFC just gave them all the boot so I can see why they are doing that. I'll bet they have these fighters micromanaged to the point that that even what they wear has to be approved by Dana. I really don't understand this move as I would never buy a UFC magazine over the others especially since their being such asses about it. I guess it's all about controlling the fighters but I think this will cost them even more talent. Losing BJ Penn and others is just a bad move IMO.

BIG_DADDY
11-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Nope, no official rankings. All the rankings are done through polling by various MMA news organizations. Of course you can easily spot the contenders based on how big of a push the companies give them.

http://www.fcfighter.com/news.htm

Here are some rankings I would have to say they look pretty damn close. I would love to see Fedor and Arlovski go at it but of course we will never get to see that unless Arlovski leaves the UFC.

Some other great fights I would like to see that we probably never will

Wanderlei Silva -vs- Chuck Liddell or Randy Couture

BJ Penn -vs- Matt Hughes

Simplex3
11-08-2005, 10:51 AM
IMO the UFC is trying to make it over the hump. Get past third teir sport and into second teir. That's going to take a load of cash and being highly organized. Right now Dana White has them on the right track and The Ultimate Fighter was a stroke of sheer brilliance. If the best fighters will just stick it out for a few more years in the UFC so they can solidify that second-teir sport status I think they'll all get paid just fine. I can see the UFC replacing boxing in the next 5 years. Boxing is in such a state of disarray it's ripe for being picked off.

Also, I think the rules in the UFC are there to protect the fighters. The UFC can't afford a skull fracture or God forbid a ring death right now. The few striking rules they have seem pretty sane to me.

IMO you'll eventually see MMA as the new boxing, with three or so championship belts. The UFC belt, the Pride belt, etc. You'll see fighters trying to combine the belts. I don't think that is what's best for the sport but I think that's where it's headed.

BIG_DADDY
11-08-2005, 11:59 AM
IMO the UFC is trying to make it over the hump. Get past third teir sport and into second teir. That's going to take a load of cash and being highly organized. Right now Dana White has them on the right track and The Ultimate Fighter was a stroke of sheer brilliance. If the best fighters will just stick it out for a few more years in the UFC so they can solidify that second-teir sport status I think they'll all get paid just fine. I can see the UFC replacing boxing in the next 5 years. Boxing is in such a state of disarray it's ripe for being picked off.

Also, I think the rules in the UFC are there to protect the fighters. The UFC can't afford a skull fracture or God forbid a ring death right now. The few striking rules they have seem pretty sane to me.

IMO you'll eventually see MMA as the new boxing, with three or so championship belts. The UFC belt, the Pride belt, etc. You'll see fighters trying to combine the belts. I don't think that is what's best for the sport but I think that's where it's headed.

I agree the Ultimate Fighter idea was brilliant, just look at how many more people are talking about MMA on this board since it started. I like Pride rules though so I hope that is what we end up with. The only reason they went overboard with it was because of meathead McCain was trying to shut down all MMA in this country. I love it when they thank him for helping them set up the UFC it goes up his ass a mile.

I don't think that pissing on everyone is the answer to getting over the top though. JMO From kicking out the media that helped build you to cutting off any sponsors of these fighters to cutting the microphone off when fighters start talking about their contracts I just don't see that as a wise move.

As far as different belts are concerned I think it's all good I just wish we could have a standard set of rules and obviously I think Pride has it right. Kicking and kneeing to the head is a big part of a real fight. You have to admit watching the fights I posted would be awesome and I don't know how seeing them could be a bad thing.

ChiefsFanatic
11-09-2005, 01:41 AM
http://www.fcfighter.com/news.htm

Here are some rankings I would have to say they look pretty damn close. I would love to see Fedor and Arlovski go at it but of course we will never get to see that unless Arlovski leaves the UFC.

Some other great fights I would like to see that we probably never will

Wanderlei Silva -vs- Chuck Liddell or Randy Couture

BJ Penn -vs- Matt Hughes

Penn has already beat Hughes. Although, that was really before Hughes started to roll.

TrickyNicky
11-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Penn has already beat Hughes. Although, that was really before Hughes started to roll.Nonsense, he had already beaten Trigg, Sherk, Mach Sakurai, and Newton twice before he lost to Penn.

In other good news: It turns out that the Finale had really good ratings.

KC Kings
11-09-2005, 09:02 AM
I can't read this thread other than the first post, as I haven't had time to watch the finale yet, but this was a pretty good show. I didn't watch the first season, but I enjoyed this one.

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Nonsense, he had already beaten Trigg, Sherk, Mach Sakurai, and Newton twice before he lost to Penn.

It would be great to see them go at it again. BJ has his own Rumble on the Rock now though so it won't happen. I think BJ wold probably win again but I would really like to see it. Since I am doing predictions I think Fedor would win as well. THe light heavyweights is a toss up, I would love to see them go at it.

ChiefsFanatic
11-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Nonsense, he had already beaten Trigg, Sherk, Mach Sakurai, and Newton twice before he lost to Penn.

Then the info I saw was inaccurate. I have tried to find the link again, but I have been unable to do so. If I was wrong, my bad.

Either way, I think Hughes is a helluva fighter. Those shots he took from Trigg in the second match would have beat a lot of other fighters. To be hurt like that, and come back took some heart.

Then again, apparently I could probably put a rear naked choke on Trigg.

TrickyNicky
11-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. Hughes is number 1 Welterwieght in the world. But Penn is easily number 1 lb-4-lb. Penn has a habit of making extraordinary fighters look bad (See fight vs Gomi at ROTR).

HC_Chief
11-09-2005, 12:37 PM
It's funny... my wife used to cringe whenever I watched MMA; now she's hooked. She absolutely loves it... even more than football :D

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2005, 12:45 PM
It's funny... my wife used to cringe whenever I watched MMA; now she's hooked. She absolutely loves it... even more than football :D

lil momma is the same way. She will even remind me what night Pride Fights are on so we can make a night of it.