PDA

View Full Version : Busch Stadium Demolition begins today.

Pitt Gorilla
11-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Related question: The new Stadium appears to be in the "old-school" mold of the early stadiums. Why didn't they just build it that way in the first place, instead of wasting money on a cookie cutter? Busch was built in '66 or so while Kaufman debuted in 73. Did we learn that much about crappy versus nice architecture in 7 years?

Boardin Bronco
11-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Cookie cutters were strictly built for economic reasons, to host both baseball and football in the same venue.

Forget the new ballpark, the Cardinals should have never torn down Sportman's Park in the first place!

Coach
11-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Did they find out who was the winner for pressing the red button for the demolishing?

Baby Lee
Busch was double duty, Cards and Cards. I'd say yes, the idea of side by side dedicated stadiums, each optimized for the sport played in them, was pretty revolutionary.

siberian khatru
Yes.

Notice all the stadiums built around 1966-70: Busch, Three Rivers, Rivefront, Veterans. They all were in that cookie-cutter, multipurpose mode. After that, it seems a lot of domes were built (Kingdome, Metrodome).

Royals Stadium was a real departure, falling in between circular outdoor stadiums and the domes. Only in the mid-1990s did the "classic" look take hold. Thank God.

Baby Lee
11-07-2005, 03:33 PM
All together now, Pitt is a big dummy!!!

;) - juss kiddinwitcha!!

Pitt Gorilla
11-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Yes.

Notice all the stadiums built around 1966-70: Busch, Three Rivers, Rivefront, Veterans. They all were in that cookie-cutter, multipurpose mode. After that, it seems a lot of domes were built (Kingdome, Metrodome).

Royals Stadium was a real departure, falling in between circular outdoor stadiums and the domes. Only in the mid-1990s did the "classic" look take hold. Thank God.
Throw some brick sides on the K and you've got a classic look.

Pitt Gorilla
11-07-2005, 03:34 PM
All together now, Pitt is a big dummy!!!

;) - juss kiddinwitcha!!
I can't deny that.

siberian khatru
Throw some brick sides on the K and you've got a classic look.

Nix on the bricks. I like the K the way it is. Always have. Still want to call it "Royals Stadium," though.

BigRedChief
Did they find out who was the winner for pressing the red button for the demolishing?http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stor...53?OpenDocument
Illinois woman will give stadium one of its last big hits
By Shera Dalin
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/06/2005
Glenda Postin of Lewistown, Ill. She won the raffle to signal when the wrecking ball will make the first swing for Busch Stadium's demolition. The necklace she wears is a good luck necklace that she wore to nearly every Cardinals game she attended.

ST. LOUIS -- Designated hitter Glenda Postin gets to knock one into the park today.
Postin, 46, will be the swing queen when she signals for the 10,000-pound wrecking ball to take its first swipe at Busch Stadium.
But how do you wreck something you love?
"I wanted to do it pretty bad," the Lewistown, Ill., woman said. "Busch Stadium has been part of my life for 34 or 35 years. Our family vacations always consisted of going to St. Louis for ballgames.
"It's going to be pretty sad for me really. I love the stadium; it's one of the last of its kind," she said from the farm home she shares with her husband, Ray, about 160 miles northeast of St. Louis. "I didn't expect to be the person to do it."
The Cardinals fan bought nine $10 charity raffle tickets for a chance to signal the release of the headache ball. She was announced as the winner on Friday. The raffle raised $66,210 for Cardinals Care, the United Way of Greater St. Louis and Gulf Coast hurricane victims.
Several of Postin's family, including her father, Cardinals die-hard Wilbur McClaughry of Cuba, Ill., will make the three-hour drive to St. Louis and join Postin at the stadium for the big moment. McClaughry inspired each of his six children to love the Redbirds but couldn't turn Postin's mother from her devotion to the Chicago Cubs.
Postin's mother, Harriett McClaughry, won't attend the demolition, but Postin said she would install on her parents' deck two Cardinals stadium seats that she bought - as a counter to her mom's Wrigley Field seats.
Postin's husband doesn't often attend Cardinals games. But he's making the trip with Glenda for this event.
"I could fill a charter bus if I could take everybody with me who wanted to go," she said.
When her supervisor at the agricultural services company where she is assistant controller found out Postin would be the stadium wrecker, he told her, "No, don't do it."
He joked that Postin should lie in front of the wrecking ball.
That idea struck out. She is determined to make history.
"I'm really excited," she said. "I'm not that lucky of a person to win something like this."

Pitt Gorilla
11-07-2005, 03:38 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stor...53?OpenDocument
Illinois woman will give stadium one of its last big hits
By Shera Dalin
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/06/2005
Glenda Postin of Lewistown, Ill. She won the raffle to signal when the wrecking ball will make the first swing for Busch Stadium's demolition. The necklace she wears is a good luck necklace that she wore to nearly every Cardinals game she attended.

ST. LOUIS -- Designated hitter Glenda Postin gets to knock one into the park today.
Postin, 46, will be the swing queen when she signals for the 10,000-pound wrecking ball to take its first swipe at Busch Stadium.
But how do you wreck something you love?
"I wanted to do it pretty bad," the Lewistown, Ill., woman said. "Busch Stadium has been part of my life for 34 or 35 years. Our family vacations always consisted of going to St. Louis for ballgames.
"It's going to be pretty sad for me really. I love the stadium; it's one of the last of its kind," she said from the farm home she shares with her husband, Ray, about 160 miles northeast of St. Louis. "I didn't expect to be the person to do it."
The Cardinals fan bought nine $10 charity raffle tickets for a chance to signal the release of the headache ball. She was announced as the winner on Friday. The raffle raised $66,210 for Cardinals Care, the United Way of Greater St. Louis and Gulf Coast hurricane victims.
Several of Postin's family, including her father, Cardinals die-hard Wilbur McClaughry of Cuba, Ill., will make the three-hour drive to St. Louis and join Postin at the stadium for the big moment. McClaughry inspired each of his six children to love the Redbirds but couldn't turn Postin's mother from her devotion to the Chicago Cubs.
Postin's mother, Harriett McClaughry, won't attend the demolition, but Postin said she would install on her parents' deck two Cardinals stadium seats that she bought - as a counter to her mom's Wrigley Field seats.
Postin's husband doesn't often attend Cardinals games. But he's making the trip with Glenda for this event.
"I could fill a charter bus if I could take everybody with me who wanted to go," she said.
When her supervisor at the agricultural services company where she is assistant controller found out Postin would be the stadium wrecker, he told her, "No, don't do it."
He joked that Postin should lie in front of the wrecking ball.
That idea struck out. She is determined to make history.
"I'm really excited," she said. "I'm not that lucky of a person to win something like this."They should have let Oswalt finish the job.

Coach
11-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks BigRedChief.

How funny it would have been if it was a Royal or a Cub fan that won the raffle.

StcChief
11-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Did they find out who was the winner for pressing the red button for the demolishing?

Lady from central Illinois. Wrecking ball started at 315pm

Her mom is a Cub fan, just giddy.