PDA

View Full Version : X-BOX 360 = Dreamcast?

Saulbadguy
11-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Eerie!

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3145154

Pants
11-07-2005, 07:55 PM
ROFL

Some of those are ridiculous. Like the Online and HD gaming comparisons... too bad that people actually care and really want those today, unlike in 1998. 360 might very well flop, but I highky doubt it, Microsoft is a freaking giant, it's no Sega. BTW, people were saying the same exact thing about the Xbox.

unlurking
11-07-2005, 08:34 PM
With a 3 core processor, I would expect this to easily own the market.

That is until the PS3 comes out.

Pants
11-07-2005, 08:40 PM
With a 3 core processor, I would expect this to easily own the market.

That is until the PS3 comes out.
Well, that is what this whole thing is about. DC was pretty successful too, until PS2 came out.

Fishpicker
11-07-2005, 09:43 PM
the 360 cannot fail until bill gates pulls the plug. I'm pretty sure he is hell bent on world domination, so I dont think he's going to give up.

BTW have you seen the PS3 controller? it belongs on Batman's utility belt instead of on a console.

I really liked the old Xbox controllers. they were huge and plush. plenty of finger room and just a tad too big for children to use (bonus). the 360 controllers look like they could be along the same lines

Valiant
11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
you forgot this part of the article..

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3145154

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 07:00 AM
you forgot this part of the article..

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3145154

Square and EA support. That's the difference right there.

Pants
11-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Square and EA support. That's the difference right there.

That and unlimited funding from Bill motha****in Gates.

Demonpenz
11-09-2005, 07:42 AM
dreamcast was still the shit. Calling plays by looking at your pad was awesome

Cochise
11-09-2005, 09:21 AM
That's just ridiculous.

Dallas Chief
11-21-2005, 08:27 PM
If Sony learned one thing, it was that launching a new console during the holidays is foolish. Marketing expenses are way too expensive, supply is limited, and demand is artificially high. Launch it soft in the spring, build momentum through summer and ride high through X-Mas, when you have built enough untis to meet the demand. PS3 will dominate. No doubt about it. Even without Halo. I bet Sony sells more PS2's this holiday than MS sells XBOX + XBOX360. Just my $.02

Valiant
11-21-2005, 09:06 PM
If Sony learned one thing, it was that launching a new console during the holidays is foolish. Marketing expenses are way too expensive, supply is limited, and demand is artificially high. Launch it soft in the spring, build momentum through summer and ride high through X-Mas, when you have built enough untis to meet the demand. PS3 will dominate. No doubt about it. Even without Halo. I bet Sony sells more PS2's this holiday than MS sells XBOX + XBOX360. Just my $.02

I highly doubt that, well maybe if you include japan...

And MS is going to release Halo 3 on the day PS3 comes out...

Pants
11-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Umm, how much do you want to bet? Sony won't be out this holiday. If Sony learned one thing, it was that the console which comes out first grabs and holds on to the majority of the market. Do you think 12 year old Tommy cares which system he gets? No, he wants what's the best now and that's the 360. Tommy's mommy won't spend another $400 on a new system when PS3 comes out.

Why do you think PS2 dominated the markets even though Xbox was clearly a much superior system with games that were just as good or better? It grabbed the market by the balls and never let go.

Dallas Chief
11-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Umm, how much do you want to bet? Sony won't be out this holiday. If Sony learned one thing, it was that the console which comes out first grabs and holds on to the majority of the market. Do you think 12 year old Tommy cares which system he gets? No, he wants what's the best now and that's the 360. Tommy's mommy won't spend another $400 on a new system when PS3 comes out.

Why do you think PS2 dominated the markets even though Xbox was clearly a much superior system with games that were just as good or better? It grabbed the market by the balls and never let go.

XBOX a superior system? Maybe technically, but probably not asthetically. IIRC, Dreamcast came out before PS2 with a bunch of empty promises, only to have PS2 dominate. The parallels between XBOX360 and Dreamcast are valid. Now I'm not so naive to think that the 360 will go the way of the Dreamcast.
However, PS2 had a good amount of time on the market to establish itself before XBOX launched, not a mere 4 months. I don't think Sony is going to sit idley by while 360 gobbles up market share. I think they will do something big, like drop the PS2 to $99 sometime in December. It is worth the loss on each one they sell to keep the market share in tact. Oh, and by the way, little Tommy does care which one he gets. Kids are getting more and more tech savvy every day. It like saying he doesn't care what MP3 player he gets, iPod or Samsung. Believe me, they care. We'll just see what happens come April 1... If I am wrong, I'll be here to take my lumps.

Garcia Bronco
11-22-2005, 03:09 PM
who cares...you know you bitches will get both

Pants
11-22-2005, 07:17 PM
XBOX a superior system? Maybe technically, but probably not asthetically. IIRC, Dreamcast came out before PS2 with a bunch of empty promises, only to have PS2 dominate. The parallels between XBOX360 and Dreamcast are valid. Now I'm not so naive to think that the 360 will go the way of the Dreamcast.
However, PS2 had a good amount of time on the market to establish itself before XBOX launched, not a mere 4 months. I don't think Sony is going to sit idley by while 360 gobbles up market share. I think they will do something big, like drop the PS2 to $99 sometime in December. It is worth the loss on each one they sell to keep the market share in tact. Oh, and by the way, little Tommy does care which one he gets. Kids are getting more and more tech savvy every day. It like saying he doesn't care what MP3 player he gets, iPod or Samsung. Believe me, they care. We'll just see what happens come April 1... If I am wrong, I'll be here to take my lumps.

lawlz, so what happened to your argument where it's foolish to launch for the holidays? WTF does appearance have to do with a system's superiority? Like I said, it's a fact that even Sony fanboys have come to accept that Xbox was the superior system. It sounds to me like you have absolutely no idea WTF you're talking about. Sony can drop off the system price to $50, it still won't do shit because 1 - no one cares and 2 - Microsoft can do the same with the Xbox.

Oh and your iPod comparison is absolutely irrelevant here, iPod is the best mp3 player on the market right now, what is the best console on the market right now? Your argument would have made a little sense if both consoles were out right now, but even then you'd have to prove which one was better.

Now, to the Dreamcast argument - there is none. The only "valid" parallel there is, is that 360 is being launched before PS3. That's it.

Loki
11-22-2005, 09:33 PM
not having a built in dvd player hurt the the dreamcast no questions.

i don't think it will help xbox360 in the long run either... pretty stupid
to leave that feature out if you ask me.

Valiant
11-23-2005, 12:43 AM
not having a built in dvd player hurt the the dreamcast no questions.

i don't think it will help xbox360 in the long run either... pretty stupid
to leave that feature out if you ask me.

Not sure what you were answering too???

The 360 does have a dvd player built in, and the later versions(guessing summer) will have a high def dvd player built in... From rep...

You can never tell what a sony system is actually going to do until they are released... They lied their ass off on the capabilites of the PS2 before its launch, and seem to be doing the same with the PS3... I am sure it will rock, but you cannot say for sure until it is released... The rendering power of the PS2 was so lied about it is not funny...

I have read on numerous sites so far that they went away from nvidia for the graphics card though... Of course we will not find out until it is released next year...Then they will have to deal with halo 3 being released at the same time to piss them off...

htismaqe
11-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Sony is going to be busy responding to class action lawsuits that are now popping up...

The XBox 360 has a built-in DVD player. Not sure where you heard that it doesn't. The launch box will not have HD DVD, but Toshiba and Microsoft are shooting for shipping XBox 360's with HD-DVD later next year. The only problem is that XBox 360 games will never use HD-DVD, it's being included only for playing HD-DVD movies...

Dallas Chief
11-23-2005, 08:38 AM
lawlz, so what happened to your argument where it's foolish to launch for the holidays? WTF does appearance have to do with a system's superiority? Like I said, it's a fact that even Sony fanboys have come to accept that Xbox was the superior system. It sounds to me like you have absolutely no idea WTF you're talking about. Sony can drop off the system price to $50, it still won't do shit because 1 - no one cares and 2 - Microsoft can do the same with the Xbox.

Oh and your iPod comparison is absolutely irrelevant here, iPod is the best mp3 player on the market right now, what is the best console on the market right now? Your argument would have made a little sense if both consoles were out right now, but even then you'd have to prove which one was better.

Now, to the Dreamcast argument - there is none. The only "valid" parallel there is, is that 360 is being launched before PS3. That's it.
Asthetically, meaning overall experience of using the console including the titles available, controls, accessories, etc. Um and what I meant about launching during the holidays is that you have limited goods to sell, pissing off customers and retailers alike. Why do you think Sony launched PSP in the Spring? And how do you know I don't know what I am talking about? There are so many other underying market factors here than the obvious first to market theory. OH and to your points, #1 Customers care when they have a limited amount of money to spend on their kids. $400 for the "new thing" or $100 for the Sony thing. C'mon, think about it. #2 MS won't drop the XBOX becasue they have so much vested in launching the 360 "during the holidays". My iPod comment was totally valid. You said that kids don't care what system they get and I say you are wrong about that. The same is true with MP3 players, people, kids specifically, do care about what they get. Brand loyalty is huge amongst their generation. I guess you must be an insider to know so much about the industry. Or you are the ultimate MS FANBOY!!!

Pants
11-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Asthetically, meaning overall experience of using the console including the titles available, controls, accessories, etc. Um and what I meant about launching during the holidays is that you have limited goods to sell, pissing off customers and retailers alike. Why do you think Sony launched PSP in the Spring? And how do you know I don't know what I am talking about? There are so many other underying market factors here than the obvious first to market theory. OH and to your points, #1 Customers care when they have a limited amount of money to spend on their kids. $400 for the "new thing" or $100 for the Sony thing. C'mon, think about it. #2 MS won't drop the XBOX becasue they have so much vested in launching the 360 "during the holidays". My iPod comment was totally valid. You said that kids don't care what system they get and I say you are wrong about that. The same is true with MP3 players, people, kids specifically, do care about what they get. Brand loyalty is huge amongst their generation. I guess you must be an insider to know so much about the industry. Or you are the ultimate MS FANBOY!!!
Go look up "aesthetic" then come argue.

Why did Sony release PSP in spring? Because they couldn't make the last holiday season in time and they knew 360 was coming out this holiday season, they didn't want the competition.

Your PS2 point is also ridiculous, you're saying that the kids are fanboys, yet you say that the parents would rather buy a PS2 for $99 than the Xbox for $400, well if those kids are waiting for PS3 to come out, they already have a PS2 (since they're Sony fanboys) so the whole parents buying a PS2 won't work, since the kids already have it.

The fact is that the kids want what's best and newest right now, like in the iPod's case, it's the best right now - people are buying it. No one gives a shit who it is made by, clearly Mac fanboys love it, but most of the people buy it because they think it's the best on the market. Why do you think every 360 sold upon release. Why are they selling 2x/3x their worth on EBay?

BTW, I'm not bying either console until I know which one is better, and that'll be at least 2 years after they're released. I prefered Xbox over PS2 last time because it was a better system. If PS3 is better (which seems to be the case as of right now) when it comes out, I'll be buying that when it goes down to $200 per console, if the 360 is better, I'll be buying that, it's as simple as that.

Dallas Chief
11-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Good luck with your 360 fanboy...

Pants
11-23-2005, 06:53 PM

Yeah I know how hard it is to admit you got pwnd. Oh wait, no I don't.

nt gg nub

Mecca
11-23-2005, 06:55 PM
The people who hate the 360 before ever touching it are coming off more as fanboys than anyone else......

People who love Sony so much do make me laugh. This is what happened when the first X-Box came out, Sony fanboys making up anything and everything they could to try to make people not buy it.

Get the one you like, hell get both of them. There's no point in getting on a board to discredit the 360 without ever touching it other than you love Sony and hate Bill Gates.

The X-Box was superior to PS2 last time around, that obviously pisses Sony fanboys off, Enough to make a thread on a board about how the 360 sucks......

Dallas Chief
11-23-2005, 07:05 PM
You guys have it all so wrong. I never said I didn't like the product. It is just plain naive to declare them the winner because they came out before the other. AND Sony launched the PSP in April for strategic reasons, not because they couldn't get it to market. Shit, I don't even play console games. You guys think because you say something, that makes it the true. Keep on smoking.

From Webster's-
a : of, relating to, or dealing with aesthetics or the beautiful <aesthetic theories> b : ARTISTIC <a work of aesthetic value> c : pleasing in appearance : ATTRACTIVE <easy-to-use keyboards, clear graphics, and other ergonomic and aesthetic features -- Mark Mehler>
Don't go claiming you pwned anything or anyone. Friggin crunchy from Lawerence...

Pants
11-23-2005, 07:39 PM
You guys have it all so wrong. I never said I didn't like the product. It is just plain naive to declare them the winner because they came out before the other. AND Sony launched the PSP in April for strategic reasons, not because they couldn't get it to market. Shit, I don't even play console games. You guys think because you say something, that makes it the true. Keep on smoking.

From Webster's-
a : of, relating to, or dealing with aesthetics or the beautiful <aesthetic theories> b : ARTISTIC <a work of aesthetic value> c : pleasing in appearance : ATTRACTIVE <easy-to-use keyboards, clear graphics, and other ergonomic and aesthetic features -- Mark Mehler>
Don't go claiming you pwned anything or anyone. Friggin crunchy from Lawerence...

Yeah, they're saying aesthetic means pleasant to sight and touch, which is what it means, which has nothing to do with the titles available and the overall console experience like you claimed. The only way Sony was more aesthetically pleasant was the way the console looked (which I already said, has nothing to do with the quality of the console) - as far as graphics and controls go, Xbox was better.

And nobody claimed 360 was the winner because it came out first, I said it's a smart strategy which is evident from PS2's domination of the markert despite it's inferiority.

I'm arguing with you because you said 3 stupid things:

1. Comparisons of 360 to Dreamcast are vaild.
2. Launching for Holidays is a bad marketing strategy.
3. PS2 was a better console because of it's aesthetic values.

You have been proven wrong on all accounts. Like I said, nt gg.

TRR
11-23-2005, 09:33 PM
I have played the XBOX 360 for about 2 days straight now, playing Madden 06, etc....And I am not impressed at all. I thought the graphics would be amazing, but came away with the feeling that MS rushed it out just to get it out for the holiday's.

I'm sure it's a good system, and I may even pick one up when the price is right. But in my humble opinion, I don't think they'll even be a comparison between the PS3 and XBox 360 once the PS3 hits.

Pants
11-23-2005, 09:39 PM
I have played the XBOX 360 for about 2 days straight now, playing Madden 06, etc....And I am not impressed at all. I thought the graphics would be amazing, but came away with the feeling that MS rushed it out just to get it out for the holiday's.

I'm sure it's a good system, and I may even pick one up when the price is right. But in my humble opinion, I don't think they'll even be a comparison between the PS3 and XBox 360 once the PS3 hits.

The only game I've played on the 360 was CoD2, I was really impressed with the graphics. It'd be cool if PS3 had better graphics, it'd be awesome for all gamers.

TRR
11-23-2005, 09:42 PM
The only game I've played on the 360 was CoD2, I was really impressed with the graphics. It'd be cool if PS3 had better graphics, it'd be awesome for all gamers.

I played the NBA game last night too, and thought it sucked. To me, XBOX has always been for the shoot-em-up titles, and PS has always been for the Sports titles. I've always been a big fan of the sports games, so I have always had a PS over the XBOX. However, I'm definitely not loyal to either. I'm not sure the XBOX 360 has done enough to win me over though.

Dallas Chief
11-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Yeah, they're saying aesthetic means pleasant to sight and touch, which is what it means, which has nothing to do with the titles available and the overall console experience like you claimed. The only way Sony was more aesthetically pleasant was the way the console looked (which I already said, has nothing to do with the quality of the console) - as far as graphics and controls go, Xbox was better.

And nobody claimed 360 was the winner because it came out first, I said it's a smart strategy which is evident from PS2's domination of the markert despite it's inferiority.

I'm arguing with you because you said 3 stupid things:

1. Comparisons of 360 to Dreamcast are vaild.
2. Launching for Holidays is a bad marketing strategy.
3. PS2 was a better console because of it's aesthetic values.

You have been proven wrong on all accounts. Like I said, nt gg.
#1 The comparisons are valid because of the similarities under which they both launched. I never said they would end up the same. Please. Do you think MS would dump that kind of cash into something just to let it fail. No, I don't either. I do think that the PS3 will pose a significant threat to them though.
#2 Launching for the Holidays is stupid. Your supply chain is all out of whack, you can't find carriers to deliver on time and on and on. I live it every year. Apple, IMO does it perfectly every year. Launch in September and October, work out the bugs before the end of November a la the Mini, Nano, and iPod video. And I'm no Apple fan.
#3 So pleasant to the sight and touch has nothing to do with the quaility and touch has nothing to do with the overall experience. I say it has more to do with it than the look of the console itself.

Nice debate. Although I beg to differ that my points are stupid.

Mecca
11-24-2005, 12:21 AM
I learned this with the last consoles, I got a sports game when I got PS2 right after the launch. The initial sports titles for either console early on are really bad. The companies haven't learned how to use the game yet.

Pants
11-24-2005, 01:05 AM
#1 The comparisons are valid because of the similarities under which they both launched. I never said they would end up the same. Please. Do you think MS would dump that kind of cash into something just to let it fail. No, I don't either. I do think that the PS3 will pose a significant threat to them though.
#2 Launching for the Holidays is stupid. Your supply chain is all out of whack, you can't find carriers to deliver on time and on and on. I live it every year. Apple, IMO does it perfectly every year. Launch in September and October, work out the bugs before the end of November a la the Mini, Nano, and iPod video. And I'm no Apple fan.
#3 So pleasant to the sight and touch has nothing to do with the quaility and touch has nothing to do with the overall experience. I say it has more to do with it than the look of the console itself.

Nice debate. Although I beg to differ that my points are stupid.

OK.

#1 What similarities? Like I said, the only similarity is that it's launching before a new Sony console. Unless you really think that a white console following a black console is relevant, lol.

#2 Launching for the Holidays is not stupid, the demand is insane and when there is a demand, the product sells. The greater the demand, the more of the product sells. Holidays is when the demand is the greatest, thus the most product sells. But I mean, what do those retards at Microsoft's marketing dept. know...

#3 Ergonomics is not the same as aesthetics, a controller can look awesome and be covered in velvet to feel good to the touch, but unless the layout is decent, no one is going to use it.

Jim Jones
11-24-2005, 01:10 AM
I got an X-BOX 360 and got Call of Duty 2 and Madden.. Madden ismore fun on the 360, but I dunno if it's as much better than the original X-BOX/PS2 versions to warrent the hype.

Call of Duty 2 is decent but the graphics are really kind of jaggy.. I dunno, I'm just not very impressed with it.

I think Microsoft dropped the ball big time with the launch titles, there was really no big game that made people want to jump out and buy the 360.

Pants
11-24-2005, 01:14 AM
I got an X-BOX 360 and got Call of Duty 2 and Madden.. Madden is really a lot more fun on the 360, just due to the graphics, although the gameplay is exactly the same, but the graphics are great.

Call of Duty 2 is decent but the graphics are really kind of jaggy.. I dunno, I'm just not very impressed with it.

I think Microsoft dropped the ball big time with the launch titles, there was really no big game that made people want to jump out and buy the 360.

I agree about the launch titles, but I liked the CoD2 graphics when I played it for 2 mins at the store.

Jim Jones
11-24-2005, 01:19 AM
Has anyone had trouble with their 360 yet? Theres like a 32 page thread over at the X-Box forum of people who's 360's are either crashing or just not working, mine has been fine *so far*

::knock on wood::

Dallas Chief
11-24-2005, 08:51 AM
OK.

#1 What similarities? Like I said, the only similarity is that it's launching before a new Sony console. Unless you really think that a white console following a black console is relevant, lol.

#2 Launching for the Holidays is not stupid, the demand is insane and when there is a demand, the product sells. The greater the demand, the more of the product sells. Holidays is when the demand is the greatest, thus the most product sells. But I mean, what do those retards at Microsoft's marketing dept. know...

#3 Ergonomics is not the same as aesthetics, a controller can look awesome and be covered in velvet to feel good to the touch, but unless the layout is decent, no one is going to use it.
#1 I am referring to the similarities featured on the website that started this thread. There are many more than the early launch.

#2 Launching during the holidays is stupid if you don't have the supply to meet the demand which has been rumored the case with XBOX 360

#3 I think you are misunderstanding me. I understand aesthetically to mean overall appeal which of course is not the same thing as ergonomics which has more to do with manual appeal.

On a sadder note, US Weekly and GMA are reporting the split of Nick and Jessica...

Cave Johnson
11-24-2005, 09:17 AM

I'll 2nd that motion. I tried it at the store and it was awful compared to the PC version. And I wouldn't say by any means that I have a high end PC (Athlon 3200, 1G RAM, 6600GT).

CHIEF4EVER
11-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Has anyone had trouble with their 360 yet? Theres like a 32 page thread over at the X-Box forum of people who's 360's are either crashing or just not working, mine has been fine *so far*

No problems as of yet. My son has commandeered the 360 and COD2 until I get back on the road tomorrow. My only concern is if it is going to be ok playing it in my rig like I did with my original XBOX. I have a 700 Watt inverter that I run my TV and XBOX off of and I hope the 360 dont pull too many watts.

Pants
11-24-2005, 04:48 PM
#1 I am referring to the similarities featured on the website that started this thread. There are many more than the early launch.

#2 Launching during the holidays is stupid if you don't have the supply to meet the demand which has been rumored the case with XBOX 360

#3 I think you are misunderstanding me. I understand aesthetically to mean overall appeal which of course is not the same thing as ergonomics which has more to do with manual appeal.

On a sadder note, US Weekly and GMA are reporting the split of Nick and Jessica...

The similarities seem pretty contrived to me. The only one that was relevant to our argument was the early release, since I was saying that releasing it early was a good strategy for MS as opposed to it not having any effect on the console war.

So you're saying making sure your product sells within the 1st month of the release is stupid? I don't understand that. Why do you think people rush products to be ready before Christams? It's because that's when the customer is the most active. I still don't see how anyone could possibly argue over that. It's ludicrous.

So what exactly do you mean by aesthetics if not the way the console looks and feels?

Thig Lyfe
11-24-2005, 05:08 PM
I have PS2, but if I were willing to blow a couple hundred bucks 360 is what I would get. The controller transition from PS2 to PS3 seems more complex than PS2 to 360. Plus, 360 just looks cooler right now. I dunno. I'm not getting either any time soon, so it doesn't really matter.

Sure-Oz
11-24-2005, 05:52 PM
pre-order your ps3 to avoid shiznit like this

Pants
11-24-2005, 05:53 PM
pre-order your ps3 to avoid shiznit like this

Shit, I'll be pre-ordering 5. 1 from every major place, lol.

Sure-Oz
11-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Shit, I'll be pre-ordering 5. 1 from every major place, lol.
i'd get 5 just to ebay all the bastards, you seen how crazy some of those ebay auctions are going for xboxs? of course it is major holiday season.

Pants
11-24-2005, 07:56 PM
i'd get 5 just to ebay all the bastards, you seen how crazy some of those ebay auctions are going for xboxs? of course it is major holiday season.

Yeah, I was planning to do the same with the 360's but it didn't work out. Even though they'll be releasing it in Spring, it'll still be huge, provided it's a world wide launch. PS2 has so many fanboys and not all of them will be able to camp out for 18 hours, I think it'll be crazier than the 360, to tell you the truth.

htismaqe
11-25-2005, 09:05 AM

That's an interesting way to admit defeat.

htismaqe
11-25-2005, 09:06 AM

That's not the 360, that's the game.

EA ported the existing version of Madden, essentially, so that they could have a 360 launch title

You're not playing a new game, which is why you're not impressed.

htismaqe
11-25-2005, 09:07 AM

It's not a problem, it's a TACTIC.

Saw the same thing with the PSP, the XBox, and just about every other console.

Some people on each side will do whatever it takes to talk you out of buying a system.

unlurking
11-25-2005, 09:26 AM

Some people on each side will do whatever it takes to talk you out of buying a system.
yep

From what I've seen, 50% or more of those problems seem to be overheating issues because people stick them in a shelf under there TV on top of a VCR or something else. Mine arrived today, and instead of hooking it up, I have to go to work. :(

Dallas Chief
12-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Yeah, I was planning to do the same with the 360's but it didn't work out. Even though they'll be releasing it in Spring, it'll still be huge, provided it's a world wide launch. PS2 has so many fanboys and not all of them will be able to camp out for 18 hours, I think it'll be crazier than the 360, to tell you the truth.

I thought you might find this interesting...

http://dealerscope.com/scream_article.html?SMContentIndex=3&SMContentSet=0

Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News - December 5, 2005

Dec. 5--JANESVILLE -- Santa Claus himself might not carry enough weight to get you an Xbox 360 in time for Christmas.

"The day they came out, we got phone calls every five minutes," said Heather Bucholtz, who works at ShopKo in Janesville.

Those phone calls were way too little, way too late. The store's few systems went to people who camped all night to buy them, she said.

The next generation of Microsoft game consoles didn't last long on shelves across the country Nov. 22.

Industry analysts estimate the company sold more than 400,000 Xbox 360s on the console's launch day.

The systems retail for $299 or $399, for a stripped down "core" version or a "premium" version.

Microsoft planned to distribute a second wave of systems beginning last week.

Janesville electronics retail shelves were bare of the systems last week. Janesville's Target, ShopKo, Best Buy and Toys 'R' Us stores were all out of Xbox 360s on Wednesday.

Cody Robertson is one of a nation of new Xbox 360 entrepreneurs--people who bought a system and sold it online for a profit.

He waited 9 1/2 hours outside ShopKo, where he works, and reserved a system at another retailer.

Robertson, 20, made more than a 100 percent profit on one system and he loves playing the other.

"The graphics are great. Everything's running smoothly," he said.

"I love it so far."

Ian Goessel, 19, disagrees on the system's quality. Goessel works at Toys R' Us. He won the system in a contest sponsored by Pepsi-Cola, he said.

"I personally don't think it's that great," he said.

"When PlayStation 3 comes out, it's going to blow it out of the water."

He plans to sell his Xbox 360 on eBay.

Meanwhile, consumers can watch for the odd system in stock at local stores.

Best Buy in Janesville will sell the systems first-come, first-served when the store opens Dec. 18, said Cindy McKearn, an assistant manager at the store.

She wasn't sure how many consoles the store would have.

McKearn noted the holiday tradition of the product that everyone wants, but not everyone can have.

"There's always something."

-----

To see more of The Janesville Gazette, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.gazetteextra.com.

Copyright (c) 2005, The Janesville Gazette, Wis.

Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News

Pants
12-07-2005, 09:30 AM
I thought you might find this interesting...

http://dealerscope.com/scream_article.html?SMContentIndex=3&SMContentSet=0

Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News - December 5, 2005

Dec. 5--JANESVILLE -- Santa Claus himself might not carry enough weight to get you an Xbox 360 in time for Christmas...

Thanks mang. Yeah, I think I'm definately going to pre-order at least 3 PS3's, lol.

htismaqe
12-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Look, an industry expert!

Ian Goessel, 19, disagrees on the system's quality. Goessel works at Toys R' Us. He won the system in a contest sponsored by Pepsi-Cola, he said.

"I personally don't think it's that great," he said.

"When PlayStation 3 comes out, it's going to blow it out of the water."

He plans to sell his Xbox 360 on eBay.

ROFL

Pants
12-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Look, an industry expert!

ROFL
Haha, yeah, I saw that too. Probably a stupid fanboy. I'll wait for PS3 to come out to make judgements.

Rausch
12-07-2005, 12:26 PM

My girlfriend was working at Wal-Mart handing these things out and before they were done people were already bringing them back.

Yes, like most 1st launches, this machine does have problems...

htismaqe
12-07-2005, 12:48 PM
My girlfriend was working at Wal-Mart handing these things out and before they were done people were already bringing them back.

Yes, like most 1st launches, this machine does have problems...

I don't at all doubt it. It's just not unique to any one console, even though the fanboys on either side want you to think that...

Sully
12-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Is there any reliable way to know when the next wave of shipments are coming out> I'm on a waiting list, and just want to know if I'll have it in 2005.

Mecca
12-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Is there any reliable way to know when the next wave of shipments are coming out> I'm on a waiting list, and just want to know if I'll have it in 2005.

When I got mine, someone had called the store while I was there. I overhead the woman telling the person the phone they may not get any more till April...........

Dallas Chief
12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Haha, yeah, I saw that too. Probably a stupid fanboy. I'll wait for PS3 to come out to make judgements.

The 19 year old pimple face was the least interesting part. I found the shortage and people's frustration with it to be more interesting. Even the fact that people think (admittedly just one person from this article) thought MS rushed it too market to try and be first. My contention all along has been that it is risky proposition to try and have a huge launch at Holiday due to so many constraining factors, like component availability, transportation, etc. From what I can tell, the system looks pretty cool, I just rarely play games unless they are like Tiger Woods or Medal of Honor and I already have a system that does that I am admittedly biased though because of what I do for a living.

Pants
12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
The 19 year old pimple face was the least interesting part. I found the shortage and people's frustration with it to be more interesting. Even the fact that people think (admittedly just one person from this article) thought MS rushed it too market to try and be first. My contention all along has been that it is risky proposition to try and have a huge launch at Holiday due to so many constraining factors, like component availability, transportation, etc. From what I can tell, the system looks pretty cool, I just rarely play games unless they are like Tiger Woods or Medal of Honor and I already have a system that does that I am admittedly biased though because of what I do for a living.

I still think it's a good idea. M$ sold everything they put out and the craze is still out there. It'll be the same with PS3, but I just don't see how releasing something for the holidays is a bad idea. Holiday season is when the most money spending is done by the consumer in a fiscal year, companies have rushed to "get it done" before the holidays for a long time. I don't think they would be doing such a thing if it wasn't in their best interests to do it. M$, just like the other huge companies, have amazing marketing depts., I believe they know what they are doing.

I won't bash PS3 until it deserves it, just like I will argue with anybody who bashes 360 until it deserves it.

htismaqe
12-08-2005, 11:40 AM

It's interesting, yes. But it's EXACTLY what I experienced when I acquired my first PS2...

Dallas Chief
12-08-2005, 12:48 PM
It's interesting, yes. But it's EXACTLY what I experienced when I acquired my first PS2...
My point exactly. PS2 was rushed and launch was some of a debacle. November 2000. I remember it well. Not that it matters now after 91 million units sold.

Dallas Chief
12-21-2005, 10:19 AM
My point exactly. PS2 was rushed and launch was some of a debacle. November 2000. I remember it well. Not that it matters now after 91 million units sold.
Some food for thought-

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/technology/21game.html

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 20 - Electronic Arts, a bellwether company among video game makers, reported on Tuesday that its holiday sales would be "well below" earlier projections, the latest sign of a sharp slide in performance for the industry.

Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image

A scene from the Electronic Arts video game Godfather. The company has put off its release from the holiday season to the spring.
The announcement from Electronic Arts, the largest independent game publisher, came less than a week after Activision, a competitor, also reported unexpectedly weak holiday sales. NPD, a market research company, reported last week that video game software sales were down 18 percent last month from November 2004.

The evidence suggests the video game industry is experiencing its most lackluster holiday selling season in at least a decade, and one of its most disappointing quarters ever.

"No one's buying video games this Christmas," said Evan Wilson, an analyst with Pacific Crest Securities.

Industry analysts, echoing sentiments of executives from Electronic Arts, blamed a confluence of factors for the slide, but said the main one was the arrival of the Microsoft Xbox 360 game console. Analysts said Microsoft marketed the game console heavily, creating strong consumer interest, but did not make nearly enough to satisfy demand.

As a result, analysts and executives said, consumers may be waiting to buy an Xbox 360 and, in turn, not spending money on games made for the previous generation of video game consoles, like the original Xbox and the Sony PlayStation 2.

"There are five million people who have made up their minds they are getting a 360 for Christmas and 500,000 who are getting them," said Michael Pachter, a video game analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities. Instead of buying games for old systems, he said, "They're saying, 'Let's wait for a 360.' "

"It's the worst quarter in 10 years" for the industry, Mr. Pachter added.

According to NPD, Mr. Pachter noted, Microsoft has sold around 320,000 consoles in North America since the Xbox 360's debut on Nov. 22, and he projected 200,000 more could be sold by the end of the year. Those figures are far below earlier analyst projections that Microsoft would sell as many as 1.5 million consoles over the holiday season. Inventory of the console has been essentially exhausted in North America, and Microsoft says it is getting consoles to retailers as quickly as it can produce them.

NPD reported last week that domestic video game sales were $700 million in November, down from $850 million in November of last year.

In the past the video game industry has been highly cyclical, with software publishers like Electronic Arts, Activision and Take-Two Interactive booming after new consoles come out, but suffering as the life cycle of those consoles comes to an end. Some industry executives and analysts had thought this transition to a new generation of consoles would be less painful, given that about 140 million consumers own the last iteration of consoles and were expected to continue to buy new software.

But Electronic Arts executives, in a conference call on Tuesday with industry analysts, said they did not expect to see a revival in sales for PlayStation 2, the original Xbox or the Nintendo GameCube. "There is no reason to expect this abrupt shift in demand for the current generation of software will reverse itself," said Warren C. Jenson, chief financial officer of Electronic Arts.

On Tuesday, the company gave no specific new projections for the current quarter, which ends Dec. 31. But it said sales were likely to be 10 to 15 percent below the lower end of its previous guidance, given as $1.475 billion to $1.575 billion. For the comparable quarter a year ago, Electronic Arts had sales of $1.4 billion.

The company's stock is off about 25 percent from its 52-week high and 10 percent in the last five weeks alone. After closing at $53.11 on Tuesday, up 86 cents, it was trading down about 4 percent after hours.

Lawrence F. Probst, Electronic Arts' chief executive, said that in addition to the transition to new consoles, a factor dampening demand for current software might be that the price of existing consoles remains relatively high. The retail price for both the Sony PlayStation 2 and the Xbox is $149; Mr. Probst said he had hoped the price would fall to $99, as had been typical in previous console transitions.

Industry analysts also said video game makers had failed to entice consumers with exciting new games, which can cost $10 million to make.

A year ago, the introduction of big-name titles like Halo II and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas buoyed sales, but this year game makers have postponed some widely anticipated releases because of production delays. Electronic Arts, for example, put off release of a game called Godfather, based on the movie, from the holiday season to the spring.

htismaqe
12-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Not sure what the EA announcement has to do with the XBox 360 being compared to the Dreamcast, but here's something to chew on:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=6982

Many projections have Sony's current market share (68%) shrinking by 15-20% overall due to the launch of the XBox 360.

jspchief
12-22-2005, 07:51 AM
I agree with what Dallas Chief is saying about launching at christmas time. It doesn't matter if there is a lot of demand if you don't have the inventory to meet it. Sure, every kid probably does want the 360, most of them because it was the first console to come available. But if they can't get it, it doesn't matter how bad they want it.

Now they sit back and stew about it being unavailable. They wait another month or two on some list, and pretty soon the PS3 launch is getting closer. Maybe they read some of the bad 360 press, and all of a sudden they decide they can wait for the PS3. If Sony does an adequate job of meeting the demand, they can run away with this.

Console launches don't need the hype of Christmas to sell. People buy them regardless of when they launch. Getting it off by Christmas doesn't hold much advantage if you can only satisfy a small percentage of the demand.

I'm not going to wait in line the night before, or probably even get on a pre-order list. I'll wait until I see one on the shelf, and buy it. The fact that I won't see a 360 on the shelf until around the time the PS3 releases is enough to make me decide to probably wait for the Sony. If Sony's delayed release gets more of them on the shelves sooner, they've probably earned my business.

htismaqe
12-22-2005, 08:12 AM
I agree with what Dallas Chief is saying about launching at christmas time. It doesn't matter if there is a lot of demand if you don't have the inventory to meet it. Sure, every kid probably does want the 360, most of them because it was the first console to come available. But if they can't get it, it doesn't matter how bad they want it.

Now they sit back and stew about it being unavailable. They wait another month or two on some list, and pretty soon the PS3 launch is getting closer. Maybe they read some of the bad 360 press, and all of a sudden they decide they can wait for the PS3. If Sony does an adequate job of meeting the demand, they can run away with this.

Console launches don't need the hype of Christmas to sell. People buy them regardless of when they launch. Getting it off by Christmas doesn't hold much advantage if you can only satisfy a small percentage of the demand.

I'm not going to wait in line the night before, or probably even get on a pre-order list. I'll wait until I see one on the shelf, and buy it. The fact that I won't see a 360 on the shelf until around the time the PS3 releases is enough to make me decide to probably wait for the Sony. If Sony's delayed release gets more of them on the shelves sooner, they've probably earned my business.

The problem is that we've already seen a real-world scenario like this - the launch of the PS2. The lack of availability didn't hurt PS2 sales at all.

Dallas Chief
12-22-2005, 10:17 AM
The problem is that we've already seen a real-world scenario like this - the launch of the PS2. The lack of availability didn't hurt PS2 sales at all.
Yeah, it didn't hurt the long term sales, but short term it was pretty painful. Being the only game in town for 1.5 years didn't hurt either. XBOX360 will have no such luxury. It is so similar to the XBOX360 launch. I'll report back in Mid January when I return from CES2006.

Dallas Chief
12-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Not sure what the EA announcement has to do with the XBox 360 being compared to the Dreamcast, but here's something to chew on:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=6982

Many projections have Sony's current market share (68%) shrinking by 15-20% overall due to the launch of the XBox 360.
O
K, I'm not trying to punch holes in your theory, but this article is from 10/27, so it was pre launch of the 360. The latest estimates I have seen show somewhere between 60k-800k 360's being sold in 2005. Far short of the 1.8M mentioned in the article. I'll see if I can find that link. Sales of the XBOX were actually 3x more than the 360. Combined, I am sure they put a dent in Sony's console share, but not their total gaming share. The total share has increased by several points due to the PSP which has sold about 8M units since it's April launch.

The point of the article was to say that due to less than spectacular sales of the 360, combined with a soft gaming market this holiday, they have delayed the launch of a much anticipated game, until the Spring. Now what launches in the Spring??? I was trying to support my argument that a Holiday lauch does not always guarantee success.

Valiant
12-22-2005, 07:30 PM
O
K, I'm not trying to punch holes in your theory, but this article is from 10/27, so it was pre launch of the 360. The latest estimates I have seen show somewhere between 60k-800k 360's being sold in 2005. Far short of the 1.8M mentioned in the article. I'll see if I can find that link. Sales of the XBOX were actually 3x more than the 360. Combined, I am sure they put a dent in Sony's console share, but not their total gaming share. The total share has increased by several points due to the PSP which has sold about 8M units since it's April launch.

The point of the article was to say that due to less than spectacular sales of the 360, combined with a soft gaming market this holiday, they have delayed the launch of a much anticipated game, until the Spring. Now what launches in the Spring??? I was trying to support my argument that a Holiday lauch does not always guarantee success.

Actually they delayed that game before before 360 sales.. The game preorders got pulled in early October because it was being pushed backed...

As for the stock issues, my work has gotten three separate shipments of xbox's, 5/9/15 in the last week... Almost 30, in a week...

As for guaranting success for the holidays.. No major release of a console has gone well since they became the 'in' thing..

Gameboys
Nintento 64
playstation 1 and 2
xbox
dreamcast

All had trouble will supply and demand when first released... 360 will do fine for the sole purpose of their Live content... That is the whole reason to own the 360, that is the reason why they did not try and put the most powerful and expensive processing power unit.. They wanted to have the supieror online gaming unit...

---------

People can tout fandom to one console or the other, but they are all great...

------

My only thing with the PS3, is they lied about the the PS2's power before it launched and its capabilities and they lost nvidia because of product costs and some other company.. So you cannot be sure with them until it actually comes out..

mitchbade
12-25-2005, 10:34 PM
xbox sucks

htismaqe
12-26-2005, 06:32 AM
My only thing with the PS3, is they lied about the the PS2's power before it launched and its capabilities and they lost nvidia because of product costs and some other company.. So you cannot be sure with them until it actually comes out..

Good point that I forgot about.

Touting the PS3's power at this point is a little risky, since Sony hasn't really ever delivered on promised capabilities...

htismaqe
12-26-2005, 06:33 AM
xbox sucks

Care to elaborate?

I own a PC, PS2, XBox, and GameCube.

The XBox is by far the best unit. Best combination of graphics and performance, convenience, and games.

Bowser
12-26-2005, 08:44 AM
I was told yesterday by my uber-geek nephew that XBOX was going to stop making games for the original, and focus on making games for the XBOX 360 exclusively. Any truth to this?

(And sorry if this is a repeat question. I'm too lazy to browse... :) )

htismaqe
12-26-2005, 08:54 AM
I was told yesterday by my uber-geek nephew that XBOX was going to stop making games for the original, and focus on making games for the XBOX 360 exclusively. Any truth to this?

(And sorry if this is a repeat question. I'm too lazy to browse... :) )

I've read the same rumor on some message boards. I've never seen it verified as true...

Maybe someone else can answer?

Pants
12-26-2005, 12:33 PM
PS3 will now have Unreal Tournament 2007 at launch. That's definatelly very good news for Sony.

As for the MS stopping making games for Xbox, it would be exteremelly stupid of them at this point, as there are MANY more Xbox's than 360's. I'd say the rumor migt come true in a year or two.