PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs have the potential to sign some extensions?

cmh6476
11-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Found this at a Texans site:

Expect a flurry of contract extensions soon
By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(Oct. 27, 2005) -- This week alone, San Diego has signed offensive tackle Roman Oben and fullback Lorenzo Neal to contract extensions. Now, don't be surprised if the Philadelphia Eagles are the next team to jump into the fray, signing players such as running back Brian Westbrook to a long-term extension.

Between today and Nov. 7, the Eagles and any team in the league can apply money used on long-term deals to the 2005 salary cap. And as today, no team in the league had more salary-cap room than the Eagles, who are $9.5 million under the cap.

Other teams with plenty of cap room:

Houston -- $6.3 million
Dallas -- $4.5 million
Jacksonville -- $4.1 million
Cleveland -- $4.1 million
Kansas City -- $4.1 million
St. Louis -- $3.8 million
Chicago -- $3.8 million
Arizona -- $3.1 million
N.Y. Giants -- $3.0 million
But the Eagles usually are the most aggressive this time of the year, partly because of all the room they have saved. Dating back the past five years, the Eagles regularly have extended players' contracts at this time of the year.

At this time last year, the Eagles extended the contracts of cornerbacks Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown, wide receiver Greg Lewis and defensive tackle Sam Rayburn. It is the reason the Eagles now have 19 of their 22 starters under contract through at least next season. The exceptions are Westbrook, offensive tackle Jon Runyan and defensive end N.D. Kalu.

So who's contracts are up after this season? :shrug:

ETA: damn, this is old. I guess they don't want to re-sign anyone since they haven't yet. Still interesting we had that much money left. Why didn't we sign Pat Williams? :mad: :D

Rausch
11-07-2005, 11:13 PM
We might try to lock up LJ to a different deal. I really think Holmes retires after this year.

After that I have no idea...

cmh6476
11-07-2005, 11:14 PM
We might try to lock up LJ to a different deal. I really think Holmes retires after this year.

After that I have no idea...

It says up until Nov 7 though for whatever reason...

jspchief
11-08-2005, 07:41 AM
We probably acclerated some bonuses onto this year's cap. Besides using the cap space for extensions, it can be used to absorb more of our current player's bonuses.

For example, we could accelerate an extra $2 million of Jerome Woods' signing bonus so he won't hurt the cap as much when we cut him next year.

PastorMikH
11-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Seems like that's about how much we had last year that we didn't do anything with.

jspchief
11-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Seems like that's about how much we had last year that we didn't do anything with.Read my first post. Just because the cap space wasn't used on new contracts, that doesn't mean it wasn't used.

Every team maxes out their salary cap every year.

Skip Towne
11-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Seems like that's about how much we had last year that we didn't do anything with.
Didn't do anything with? I'll have you know the Hunt family had a mighty fine Christmas.

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 08:02 AM
I don't really understand the salary cap, nor do I pretend to.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Brian Waters was a little slow about getting to TC

BigRedChief
11-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Well it would seem to me that we could pay someone $4 million right now that is due next year and then we should have $4 million under the cap next year to spend. Correct?