PDA

View Full Version : Peter King is an idiot.

joesomebody
11-07-2005, 10:57 PM
I in no way like Tomlinson or think hes the best player in football, I do kind of like Tiki, but all of this aside, I thought this was one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/11/07/mmqb.week9/index.html

STAT OF THE WEEK

It's not meant as a knock on LaDainian Tomlinson, especially in light of his four-touchdown performance at the Meadowlands that allowed the Chargers to stay in the AFC pennant race against the Jets. But I find it funny that Tomlinson, without discussion, is proclaimed the best player in football. I love the guy, and there's a good chance he's the best running back in football. But let's not eliminate the discussion. For instance, why isn't Tiki Barber in the discussion, if Tomlinson is?

Stats of Tomlinson and Barber since the start of 2004:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=48957&stc=1

Total yards over the past year and a half: Barber 3,008, Tomlinson 2,875.
Again, I'm not saying Barber's better. I'm saying: Why isn't there at least a discussion about it?

<hr>

Ok... so their yards are similar, Barber even has 135 or so more... but look at the touchdowns... 18 to 30... Yet King completely ignores the number one factor in any sport except golf, points!

So Barber has 135 more yards, say the average touchdown drive is 60 yards, and I'm completely guessing, even the yards Barber has on LT is at most 2 touchdowns for the team.

Tomlinson has damn near twice as many touchdowns, and King wants to say the two are comparable???

Cochise
11-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Is there anyone out there who would rather have Barber than Tomlinson?

This doesn't make much sense.

cdcox
11-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey Peter King 30 >> 18.

Dunit35
11-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Barber has less carries than LT and more rushing yards. Didnt know that, but the main thing is that neither team can do anything in the playoffs. Well maybe the Giants will this year.

HolmeZz
11-08-2005, 12:13 AM
If you're judging an RB based on stats, the fact that Barber has 100 more yards on 60 fewer carries than LT is more impressive than a 30 to 18 TD differential. That's just me though.

But Tomlinson's far and away the best back in the league. Barber's not on his level.

Dunit35
11-08-2005, 12:17 AM
If you're judging an RB based on stats, the fact that Barber has 100 more yards on 60 fewer carries than LT is more impressive than a 30 to 18 TD differential. That's just me though.

But Tomlinson's far and away the best back in the league. Barber's not on his level.

The only back on LT's level is by far, Ronnie Cruz.

joesomebody
11-08-2005, 12:18 AM

But Tomlinson's far and away the best back in the league. Barber's not on his level.Yeah, theres a lot of ways to look at it I guess, 4.8 to 4.1 yard average still doesn't come close to a difference of 72 points scored in my opinion.

When it all comes down to it, this is a game of points. 72 is a lot of points in football.

And looking at it from your perspective, 0.7 yards can be the difference in a game too, just look at the half a yard it took for the Chiefs to win yesterday.

HolmeZz
11-08-2005, 12:21 AM
TDs aren't really a great way to gauge how talented a back is. Usually it says more about the offense the RB plays in and San Diego's offense is far superior to the Giants.

SoCalBronco
11-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Peter King is an idiot?

You mean im not the only reader who doesnt give a shit about his daughter's stupid softball team and his "coffeenerdness" insights?

Valiant
11-08-2005, 12:31 AM
TDs aren't really a great way to gauge how talented a back is. Usually it says more about the offense the RB plays in and San Diego's offense is far superior to the Giants.

Hmm, that was the reason why Gates got the nod over Gonzo last year, even though Gonzo had more catches and more yards...

tk13
11-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Barber would have more touchdowns if they never tried to put Brandon Jacobs in for him at the goal line.

Miles
11-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Don't think comparing stats from Barber's career year against LT's when he was banged up for much of last year says much.

Fruit Ninja
11-08-2005, 01:14 AM
Once Tiki figured out his fumbling problem, imo he became and *elite* back. Tomlinson is better, but Tiki isnt to far behind.

Saggysack
11-08-2005, 01:28 AM
Tomlinson is far and away the better back. Quit deluding yourself from the obvious.

jspchief
11-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Nice cherry-picked stats from Peter King.

Why did he only look at a 24 game sample? Why not go back to the start of LT2's career?

Brock
11-08-2005, 07:17 AM
King has always been gay for Tiki.

jidar
11-08-2005, 07:18 AM
Damn the stats.
As everyone knows stats can be very misleading in this game. The reason LT gets the nod isn't only because of his TD's, it's because he can do everything and he does all of those things as well as any other back. In fact, because he can do it all is WHY he has more TDs. LT is shifty, runs very low to the ground, has great vision, can cut on a dime, he makes pro-bowl players look like idiots when they try to 1-on-1 tackle him, he can catch out of the backfield, he can power run the ball, and he is at the top of the game in all of those things.
You don't need stats to see that the guy is better than anyone else playing right now, just watch him in a couple of games.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-08-2005, 07:37 AM
I think Tomlinson is likely the best player in football.

siberian khatru
11-08-2005, 07:40 AM
How many TD passes does Tiki have?

kepp
11-08-2005, 07:50 AM

It is impressive, but I think I'd rather have the 72 extra points than the 130 extra yards.

jspchief
11-08-2005, 07:55 AM
It is impressive, but I think I'd rather have the 72 extra points than the 130 extra yards.Yea well, if the football field was only 10 yards, you might change your tune.

Skip Towne
11-08-2005, 08:00 AM
LJ has a TD for every 14.8 rushing attempts. Tomlinson has a TD for every 23.2 rushes.

jspchief
11-08-2005, 08:02 AM
LJ has a TD for every 14.8 rushing attempts. Tomlinson has a TD for every 23.2 rushes.Larry Johnson is the best Evah!!

RINGLEADER
11-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Barber is definitely underrated by most in the media, but that doesn't make him better than LT.

jidar
11-08-2005, 09:15 AM
How many TD passes does Tiki have?

ROFL

oh wait... that kinda hurts.. :(

redhed
11-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Wow, I wish I could steal a paycheck like this hack.
:shake:

chagrin
11-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Tewweh Owenth ith the betht Playa in da jibba jabba N ETH L

- michael irvin, professional analyst

nychief
11-08-2005, 09:52 AM
touchdowns win games, peter.

HolmeZz
11-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Nice cherry-picked stats from Peter King.

Why did he only look at a 24 game sample? Why not go back to the start of LT2's career?

Dunno why he did it, but the stats are from the start of the 2004 season on. It wasn't a random number of games.

broncoholic
11-08-2005, 10:43 AM
TDs to Rbs are like wins to pitchers...nice but a useless stat. I think YPC is a better judge.
Who'd you rather have on your baseball team Colon with his wins or Santana with his WHIP?
Of course Colon will win the Cy this year, so what do I know.

Brock
11-08-2005, 10:45 AM
TDs to Rbs are like wins to pitchers...nice but a useless stat. I think YPC is a better judge.
Who'd you rather have on your baseball team Colon with his wins or Santana with his WHIP?

So I guess you're saying you'd rather have Tiki than Tomlinson? Thanks for removing all doubt that you're a moron.

KCTitus
11-08-2005, 11:25 AM
TD's, meaning Points on the scoreboard is not a useless stat. The NFL doesnt give points for yards.

StcChief
11-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Barber with NY Giants .... media center , large market.

King covering his collective a$$ with media owners, NY fans...

Barber is good. still not LT2. Points count alot.

Cherry picked stats are another way of changing opinions for for the avg consumer.

Maybe this is Giants year in NFC....I doubt it.

BreesLightning
11-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Barber with NY Giants .... media center , large market.

King covering his collective a$$ with media owners, NY fans...

Barber is good. still not LT2. Points count alot.

Cherry picked stats are another way of changing opinions for for the avg consumer.

Maybe this is Giants year in NFC....I doubt it.

Let's not forget strength of schedule here and the main focus of defensive schemes. LT is ALWAYS the number one focus of teams they play against and regularly sees 8-9 men in the box.

There is no way tiki barber even comes close to LT. In fact barber isn't even the second best back in the league. There are a few I would rank over him.

Rausch
11-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Barber would have more touchdowns if they never tried to put Brandon Jacobs in for him at the goal line.

Exactly.

I wonder what he might have done playing with the Chiefs from 01 to present instead of Priest.

Pretty similar numbers I'd bet...

HolmeZz
11-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Exactly.

I wonder what he might have done playing with the Chiefs from 01 to present instead of Priest.

Tiki had a career year last year. He was never that good prior.

I also think a fundamental difference between the two is that Tiki's one of the most fumble prone backs in the league and Priest basically never fumbles.

Bowser
11-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Tewweh Owenth ith the betht Playa in da jibba jabba N ETH L

- michael irvin, professional analyst

ROFL

Bowser
11-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Everybody is missing the obvious....

Tiki plays for the New York Giants

Tomlinson plays for the San Diego Chargers

You're welcome.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Exactly.

One MAJOR difference:

Priest Holmes -- 1521 touches for the Chiefs, 11 fumbles -- a fumble every 138 touches.

Tiki Barber -- since 2001, 1500 touches, 32 fumbles -- a fumble every 47 touches.

Rausch
11-08-2005, 02:34 PM
One MAJOR difference:

Priest Holmes -- 1521 touches for the Chiefs, 11 fumbles -- a fumble every 138 touches.

Tiki Barber -- since 2001, 1500 touches, 32 fumbles -- a fumble every 47 touches.

Valid point.

But one also has to remember that he played a great deal of last season with a broken hand. I'm not trying to excuse it because he seemed to fumble a lot when healthy, only that I think the numbers look that $#itty for a reason...

Joe Seahawk
11-08-2005, 03:03 PM
F*ck em all! :) Shaun Alexander is the man.. He has never missed a game and is the only player in NFL history with 5 consecutive 15 TD seasons..

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Valid point.

But one also has to remember that he played a great deal of last season with a broken hand. I'm not trying to excuse it because he seemed to fumble a lot when healthy, only that I think the numbers look that $#itty for a reason...

Actually, he only fumbled 5 times last year, even with the broken hand. He had 9, 9, and 8, respectively, in the previous three seasons.

Rausch
11-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Actually, he only fumbled 5 times last year, even with the broken hand. He had 9, 9, and 8, respectively, in the previous three seasons.

I stand corrected.

Um, just HTF does that happen exactly?... :hmmm:

Cormac
11-08-2005, 03:08 PM

TDs are a useless stat! That's an interesting perspective.

Why didn't you just stick with:

what do I know.