PDA

View Full Version : I guess you could say we are tied with Jacksonville!

cmh6476
11-07-2005, 11:59 PM
check this out, I was trying to figure out who would actually get the final playoff spot if the season ended today:

NFL Tiebreaker Procedure:

1. Head to Head - haven't played

2. Conference - both 4-2

3. Common games: both lost to Denver, both beat the Jets

4. Strength of victory (I'm guessing this means subtracting points against from points for? :shrug:

Jax 150 (PF) - 139 (PA) = 11

KC 196 (PF) - 183 (PA) = 13

Damn, if that's how you determine strength of victory, then we got em by 2 whole points

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

cmh6476
11-08-2005, 12:05 AM
you know, if this is the case then that might make our games against Houston, Cincinnati and Denver even that much more important! (those are remaining common opponents with the Jags)...

HemiEd
11-08-2005, 12:09 AM
All the remaining possibilities make my head hurt, it is a little early for that I think. ROFL

cdcox
11-08-2005, 12:14 AM
check this out, I was trying to figure out who would actually get the final playoff spot if the season ended today:

NFL Tiebreaker Procedure:

3. Common games: both lost to Denver, both beat the Jets

Yeah, but Jacksonville has also already beat the Texans and Cinci. They have a clear advantage here.

4. Strength of victory (I'm guessing this means subtracting points against from points for? :shrug:

Jax 150 (PF) - 139 (PA) = 11

KC 196 (PF) - 183 (PA) = 13

Damn, if that's how you determine strength of victory, then we got em by 2 whole points

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

No, strength of victory is determined by the WLT percentage of the teams you have beaten. I havenlt calculated it, but with wins against Seattle, Cinci, and Pittsburgh, I think they are leading us in this category too.

cdcox
11-08-2005, 12:15 AM
All the remaining possibilities make my head hurt, it is a little early for that I think. ROFL

After week 6, it is all an open book.

cmh6476
11-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Yeah, but Jacksonville has also already beat the Texans and Cinci. They have a clear advantage here.

Thanks for the clarification on strength of victory!.

But, if we beat the Broncos, Bengals and Texans won't we then have the advantage? :shrug:

Nzoner
11-08-2005, 12:17 AM

But, if we beat the Broncos, Bengals and Texans won't we then have the advantage? :shrug:

Let's just concentrate on beating the Bills.

cmh6476
11-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Let's just concentrate on beating the Bills.
Us concentrating IMO only makes our head hurts. The Chiefs can concentrate, as fans we have the right to look ahead ;)

cdcox
11-08-2005, 12:21 AM

Jacksonville's schedule is really easy from hear on out. The only game they will not be favored to win is Indy. Beyond that it's pretty complicated. The games you mentioned are all conference games, which is a higher precident tie-breaker. All these complications is why I wrote my software, which you are free to use at www.nfl-forecast.com.

alanm
11-08-2005, 12:25 AM
I'm more worried about them being able to beat the Bills this Sunday in Buffalo then about playoff spots. :shake:
This team can't afford to look ahead and dream. Well, maybe the asswhupping their going to lay down on the 4th of December. :)

King_Chief_Fan
11-08-2005, 07:19 AM
This anemic offense isn't going to get this team in any playoff spot.

jettio
11-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Jacksonville's schedule is really easy from hear on out. The only game they will not be favored to win is Indy. Beyond that it's pretty complicated. The games you mentioned are all conference games, which is a higher precident tie-breaker. All these complications is why I wrote my software, which you are free to use at www.nfl-forecast.com.

From looking at the Jags schedule, you have to think they will get a wildcard unless they fall apart or have injuries.

cmh6476
11-08-2005, 09:04 AM
The Jags opponents they have beat have a combined 22-19 record, and the chiefs opponents they beat have a combined 16-24 record. So Jax has the tiebreaker

Big Slick
11-08-2005, 03:59 PM
The Jags opponents they have beat have a combined 22-19 record, and the chiefs opponents they beat have a combined 16-24 record. So Jax has the tiebreaker

When the season is over and the complete schedules have been played, should we be in a tiebreaker with Jax and it got that deep into the tiebreaker, we'd probably win the strength of victory tie breaker because their complete schedule is MUCH easier than ours. They play in their weakass division, plus they're playing the weakass NFC West, while we play in one of the toughest divisions, plus we're playing the equally tough NFC East. But worrying about the 5th level tiebreaker at the halfway point means you've got too much time on your hands! ;)

The more likely scenario is that if we don't win the division, we'll be battling the Pitt/Cincy runnerup plus our own division's other runnerup (Denv/SD) for the last wildcard, Jax has one wildcard pretty much locked up. That's because of Jax's last 8 games, they host Indy once, and other than that, their other 7 opponents have a combined 14-44 record! KC, on the other hand, their last 5 opponents combine for 29-13. Ouch...