PDA

View Full Version : Colts GM Polian Shows No Class

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 08:52 AM
If true, and Tom Curran is an excellent reporter, this is absolutely unbelievable. I will pause to note that I didn't see the end of the game, and have no idea hwy the Patriots wouldn't just kneel it out, but this is still something that just isn't acceptable:

With four seconds remaining and the Patriots hurrying to the line to squeeze off one final play in a 40-21 blowout by Indy, Colts president Bill Polian said with annoyance, "They're trying to run another play. He's going to throw another pass."

And as backup quarterback Doug Flutie rolled out with pressure on his heels, Polian muttered, "Break his leg."

Free registration required, but here's the link:

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20051108_08pats.1769b723.html

siberian khatru
11-08-2005, 08:53 AM
I think he was wishing him good luck, like in the grand tradition of the theater: "Break a leg."

Katipan
11-08-2005, 08:54 AM
no seriously, thats awesome

*living life by believing in karma*

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-08-2005, 08:54 AM
That is stupid. He's a QB... you should break his arm.

jidar
11-08-2005, 08:55 AM
I was pretty pissed when they went for 2 with under 6 minutes to play and up by 20.
That's just poor sportsmanship.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-08-2005, 08:55 AM
It's a cutthroat business and Polian needs to break a leg. I fully expected your team to stick it to the dolts and now i'm $5 poorer thanks Amnorix!

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 08:56 AM
I was pretty pissed when they went for 2 with under 6 minutes to play and up by 20.

I heard about that, too. That's pretty ridiculous. No idea what that was about. I guess the Colts have just had too much of having the Patriots rubbed in their noses, and needed to rub it back. Oh well, whatever.

Cochise
11-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Flutie is enough of a d-bag that I wouldn't feel too bad for him.

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 08:58 AM
It's a cutthroat business and Polian needs to break a leg. I fully expected your team to stick it to the dolts and now i'm $5 poorer thanks Amnorix!

I'm in a weekly pool and picked the Colts. First time this year I picked against the Patriots (normally I mindlessly pick them, because I really hate to pick against them). But in this case, no way was Colts -3 (which is what the pool line was) a realistic balance for how the two teams have played so far this year.

Goapics1
11-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Polian is funny as hell. He gets fired up pretty easy. Funny stuff.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 08:59 AM
It's gonna be fun watching the 13-3 Colts flame out in the playoffs...

jspchief
11-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Meanwhile, the golden boy Tom Brady once again looked like a whiny bitch in his press conference following a loss.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-08-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm in a weekly pool and picked the Colts. First time this year I picked against the Patriots (normally I mindlessly pick them, because I really hate to pick against them). But in this case, no way was Colts -3 (which is what the pool line was) a realistic balance for how the two teams have played so far this year.

Yeah but before yesterday I figured the Pats would always be in Mooning's head, guess I got some bad info eh?

Goapics1
11-08-2005, 09:00 AM

Oh bullshit. What a fuggin stupid comment.

If they would have made the 2 pt conversion, it would have put them up 3 scores with 6 min to play. Anyone see Tampa and Indy 2 seasons ago? Colts down 35-14 with 4 minutes to go and ended up winning in OT.

Sour grapes.

Goapics1
11-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Meanwhile, the golden boy Tom Brady once again looked like a whiny bitch in his press conference following a loss.
Priceless.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/images/patriots/tombrady11082005.jpg

jidar
11-08-2005, 09:02 AM

It was ridiculous. I know you don't want to hear me say it, but the Pats are just barely scraping by this year. Even at 50% I think they're winning above their ability.

During the pregame with the betting odds and the way everyone was talking about how the Pats always beat the Colts I turned to my wife and said "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Am I the only one who sees this is about to be a blowout?". This game was going to the colts, it was no contest, and that should have been clear a long time before kick off.

Now I don't think the Colts are the best team in football either, but they're top 5, the Pats though are probably in the bottom half of the league right now imo.

Braincase
11-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Here comes the karma train... Manning breaks leg in 1st quarter, Colts lose to Houston Texans...

Joe Theismann reportedly says, "Damn... now THAT'S a broken leg."

dirk digler
11-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Sorry Amnorix but I say that every game especially against AFC West teams though saying it about a backup player doesn't make much sense.

Simplex3
11-08-2005, 09:06 AM
No, that was a smart call. They were up by 19, not 20. The extra point makes it 20 and is therefore useless. The two point conversion makes it a 3 TD game.

jidar
11-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Oh bullshit. What a fuggin stupid comment.

If they would have made the 2 pt conversion, it would have put them up 3 scores with 6 min to play. Anyone see Tampa and Indy 2 seasons ago? Colts down 35-14 with 4 minutes to go and ended up winning in OT.

Sour grapes.

Sour grapes? I don't give two shits about either team. Honestly they both make my list of most disliked teams.
I'm just calling it how I see it, they weren't worried about a comeback there they were just trying to rub everyones nose in it.

Goapics1
11-08-2005, 09:07 AM
No, that was a smart call. They were up by 19, not 20. The extra point makes it 20 and is therefore useless. The two point conversion makes it a 3 TD game.
Thank you.

Simplex3
11-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Easy to be all classy and stuff when you're winning all your games and it looks like you're going to roll to another SB ring. Now that he's on a team that isn't very good and doesn't really have a chance to do anything his true character is coming out.

Cochise
11-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Going for 2 to make it a 3 score game... eh.

Whining about it... bush.

jidar
11-08-2005, 09:10 AM

I don't dispute that but 3 tds out of the Pats at the point was not going to happen. They were already down for the count.

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 09:13 AM
It was ridiculous. I know you don't want to hear me say it, but the Pats are just barely scraping by this year. Even at 50% I think they're winning above their ability.

I agree with the first sentence. I think 50% is about right, though. They still have one of the best QBs in the game and a great kicker. They're an average team that has had, to this point, a slightly above average schedule. I don't think, with an average schedule, they'd be likely to go worse than 8-8.

During the pregame with the betting odds and the way everyone was talking about how the Pats always beat the Colts I turned to my wife and said "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Am I the only one who sees this is about to be a blowout?". This game was going to the colts, it was no contest, and that should have been clear a long time before kick off.

I told my wife that if the Patriots played really well, and the Colts didn't, that it could be a really close, really tight game, decided by a field goal. That was the BEST CASE scenario. If that didn't happen, the Colts would kill us. That, of course, is exactly what happened.

Now I don't think the Colts are the best team in football either, but they're top 5, the Pats though are probably in the bottom half of the league right now imo.

I'll put 'em in right in the 14-18 grouping as average. Having a great QB puts you light years ahead of many teams, even with other deficiencies.

Mr. Kotter
11-08-2005, 09:15 AM

Three TDs in six minutes by the Patriots was not unthinkable. Stranger things have happened. The Pats still had their starters in....why should the Colts roll-over and play "not to lose?" :shrug:

As for Polian, if he said that....it's despicable. I don't know what the hell Billicheck was doing though--seemed odd.

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Sorry Amnorix but I say that every game especially against AFC West teams though saying it about a backup player doesn't make much sense.

First off, beware of karma. But, most importantly, you're not the GM of a team, and in a public place, saying this on the last play of a blowout win and talking about a backup QB.

It's one thing ot pray that Plummer or Moss has a body part come flying off on the first play of a game, and another to pray that Plummer's backup (whoever he is) break a leg on the last play when you're killing them.

Mr. Kotter
11-08-2005, 09:17 AM
It's gonna be fun watching the 13-3 Colts flame out in the playoffs...

I hope you are right....but I wouldn't hold my breath.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 09:20 AM
I hope you are right....but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hold my breath for what? For them to go undefeated?

They're a good team. They're not a great team. Somebody will punch them in the mouth and once again, they'll fold because they're not a physical team...

BigRedChief
11-08-2005, 09:22 AM
you are up 20 points and go for a 2 point conversion with 4:33 left in the game will tick some people off

StcChief
11-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Last time I checked point differential is a tie breaker.

Go for all the points you can.
Never allow your opponent to score. NO MATTER WHAT.

Mr. Kotter
11-08-2005, 09:26 AM

They're a good team. They're not a great team. Somebody will punch them in the mouth and once again, they'll fold because they're not a physical team...

I don't think they'll go undefeated, but 14-2 or 15-1, with homefield throughout....then to Ford Field in Detroit.

It's not as if they are the Chiefs... :banghead:

And NYGiants win a weak NFC.

The stars seem aligned for a "life is crazier than fiction" finish to the season.

I hope I'm wrong; and I hope the Chiefs are there in Indy to crash the party. :D

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 09:27 AM
I don't think they'll go undefeated, but 14-2 or 15-1, with homefield throughout....then to Ford Field in Detroit.

The stars seem aligned for a "life is crazier than fiction" finish to the season.

I hope I'm wrong; and I hope the Chiefs are there in Indy to crash the party. :D

The Colts won't make it to the big game with that defense.

dirk digler
11-08-2005, 09:28 AM
First off, beware of karma. But, most importantly, you're not the GM of a team, and in a public place, saying this on the last play of a blowout win and talking about a backup QB.

It's one thing ot pray that Plummer or Moss has a body part come flying off on the first play of a game, and another to pray that Plummer's backup (whoever he is) break a leg on the last play when you're killing them.

I agree I think it was stupid of him to say it about a backup QB who never plays.

Mr. Kotter
11-08-2005, 09:28 AM
The Colts won't make it to the big game with that defense.

If not the Colts, then who? Seriously. :hmmm:

chefsos
11-08-2005, 09:30 AM

OMG. The Manning Bowl.

Mr. Kotter
11-08-2005, 09:33 AM
OMG. The Manning Bowl.

If there are Las Vegas odds on such a thing, I'd seriously consider sending some cash that way. And I'm not the betting type.

The Bad Guy
11-08-2005, 09:34 AM

I really don't think I agree with that anymore.

James is as physical of a running back as there is in the NFL.

Their line doesn't give up sacks.

Their defense has some heavy hitters now with Sanders, Simon, Freeney, Mathis, and Raeger.

They will have HFA throughout and that has been their problem the last 2 years. There will no traveling to bad weather and everyone will have to come through them.

I don't see too many flaws in their team. I think they have been physical plenty this year.

Mr. Kotter
11-08-2005, 09:35 AM
If not the Colts, then who? Seriously. :hmmm:

Parker, you know this is a trick question don't you?

I know Pittsburg, Cinci, and Denver could get some votes here....but if they do, by the end of the season I think you and I both know the Chiefs will also be in that group.

I'm trying to get you on record..... :)

ct
11-08-2005, 09:36 AM

6 minutes is a long damn time on the clock, I have no issue with this. Now the Doug Flutie thing is wrong, just wrong man.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 09:38 AM

Their defense has some heavy hitters now with Sanders, Simon, Freeney, Mathis, and Raeger.

They will have HFA throughout and that has been their problem the last 2 years. There will no traveling to bad weather and everyone will have to come through them.

I don't see too many flaws in their team. I think they have been physical plenty this year.

There aren't any gaping holes, no. But they also don't have the one or two extremely bright spots like in year's past either.

I think the Broncos can beat them. I know the Steelers can beat them.

Mr. Kotter

Substitute Warfield, Hicks, Holliday, Barber, Woods, and Browning for those Colts you've listed....

And you heard the same sort of thing from many about the 8-0 Kansas City Chiefs two years ago.....:D

:p

BigRedChief
6 minutes is a long damn time on the clock, I have no issue with this. Now the Doug Flutie thing is wrong, just wrong man.

It was 4:33 left. Big difference if you ask me.

Mr. Kotter
11-08-2005, 09:39 AM
....I think the Broncos can beat them. I know the Steelers can beat them.

Anyone else? :)

Logical
11-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Flutie is enough of a d-bag that I wouldn't feel too bad for him.I don't think you really know Doug Flutie. He is a loving father to a disabled child, big into childrens charities, friendly on and off the field. Not sure where you got your impression. Even as a Chiefs fan I was always impressed with his conduct as a Charger QB.

Logical
11-08-2005, 09:45 AM
The Colts won't make it to the big game with that defense.I don't get this, I would love to have their defense. They probably will not go undefeated that is too hard too accomplish in the NFL these days, but I doubt anyone is going to derail their Super Bowl express.

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 10:05 AM
I don't think you really know Doug Flutie. He is a loving father to a disabled child, big into childrens charities, friendly on and off the field. Not sure where you got your impression. Even as a Chiefs fan I was always impressed with his conduct as a Charger QB.

Agreed. I have heard he's a bit self-centered and not necessarily a great locker room guy, but that just makes him "not a saint", it certainly doesn't qualify him as a D-bag, etc. :shrug:

Logical
11-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Agreed. I have heard he's a bit self-centered and not necessarily a great locker room guy, but that just makes him "not a saint", it certainly doesn't qualify him as a D-bag, etc. :shrug:In all honesty I cannot imagine a QB that would not be self centered it almost seems like prerequisite for the QB mentality.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't get this, I would love to have their defense. They probably will not go undefeated that is too hard too accomplish in the NFL these days, but I doubt anyone is going to derail their Super Bowl express.

We'll see I guess.

They look like the same team to me, with an easier schedule.

Tuckdaddy
11-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Big deal. I said early in the season that the Pats loioked beatable and got smacked for it but it looks like I'm right. No three peat, NE is beat the hell up onm defense and Brady is not capable of winning games with his arm like Manning.

Frazod
11-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Hopefully you can find solace in those THREE LOMBARDI TROPHIES.

Seriously, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :deevee:

Cormac
11-08-2005, 10:57 AM
This is a pet-peeve of mine. Play the frigging game until the final whistle blows. I wouldn't care less if the Chiefs were down 63-0 and Manning threw a TD as time expired. If you can't hold a team to 63 and you're bitching about 70, then you reeaaallly suck.

To me, sportsmanship is doing the best you can. It's playing hard, and, in the case of a blowout lead or deficit, doing the best you can to improve it. It has nothing to do with feeling sorry for the opposition, or taking your foot off the gas. This isn't Pop Warner. I think that's shameful of Polian. Would he prefer his Clots just roll over?

Mr. Kotter
11-08-2005, 10:59 AM
We'll see I guess.

They look like the same team to me, with an easier schedule.

I agree that IS part of it.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2005, 11:17 AM
I think the Broncos can beat them. I know the Steelers can beat them.Broncos? No way. They are a fraud, and will be exposed, soon. I don't know about the Steelers, either. They had the Pats at home and choked to them. We'll see...

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2005, 11:19 AM
We'll see I guess.

They look like the same team to me, with an easier schedule.Agreed. The league is WIDE open this season...

KCTitus
11-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Im trying really hard to care...I just wanted to post that.

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Big deal. I said early in the season that the Pats loioked beatable and got smacked for it but it looks like I'm right. No three peat, NE is beat the hell up onm defense and Brady is not capable of winning games with his arm like Manning since Manning has always had a very talented offense around him, and plays in a Dome.

Fixed your post for ya.

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Hopefully you can find solace in those THREE LOMBARDI TROPHIES.

Seriously, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :deevee:

Believe me, the three Lombardis in the bag make me pretty philosophical about one year set backs. Hopefully, next year we'll return to being a contenda, and this year will be as forgotten as '02 was.

Calcountry
11-08-2005, 11:59 AM
It's a cutthroat business and Polian needs to break a leg. I fully expected your team to stick it to the dolts and now i'm $5 poorer thanks Amnorix!Where have you been?

Calcountry
11-08-2005, 12:00 PM
I heard about that, too. That's pretty ridiculous. No idea what that was about. I guess the Colts have just had too much of having the Patriots rubbed in their noses, and needed to rub it back. Oh well, whatever.Losing sucks, doesn't it?

Hydrae
11-08-2005, 12:02 PM
As to the NFC, don't go giving it to the Giants just yet. Carolina is looking damn good and I have said since before the season started that I think the Cowboys are winning the NFCE. So I still expect the Giants to be a wild card at best.

Oh yes, don't forget those Seahawks out west either. They have a nice offense right now.

BIG_DADDY
11-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Losing sucks, doesn't it?
ROFL

Calcountry
11-08-2005, 12:04 PM
The Colts won't make it to the big game with that defense.They have had a pretty soft schedule, breeds overconfidence.

siberian khatru
11-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Believe me, the three Lombardis in the bag make me pretty philosophical about one year set backs. Hopefully, next year we'll return to being a contenda, and this year will be as forgotten as '02 was.

I know what you're saying, and I can appreciate that winning makes you want to win even more.

But I'll be honest: If the Chiefs won three SBs in four years, I think I'd pretty much coast as a Chiefs fan the rest of my life. No matter how bad things got, I'd look back to that time as vindication for everything. Look at the Broncos -- they won back-to-back SBs and their fans have lorded it over everyone ever since, acting like they invented the game. We've got no comeback because they have ultimate scoreboard.

I guess if you win 3 of 4, you want to win 4 of 6 or 5 of 7 or whatever. I'd squeal like a little girl if we won one; 3 of 4 would make me feel satiated with sex and gourmet food for the rest of my life. If we had two or three or five down years, I think I could cope just fine. I wouldn't be too worried about reloading.

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Losing sucks, doesn't it?

I've been a Boston sports fan for about 25 years, so I'm pretty familiar with just how badly it can suck ('86 Red Sox, 1-15 and 2-14 seasons with the Pats, etc.). Have no fear that I'm not familiar with lean years.

That said, those three Lombardis can make one pretty philisophical about a bad year... :) :p

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 12:15 PM
I know what you're saying, and I can appreciate that winning makes you want to win even more.

But I'll be honest: If the Chiefs won three SBs in four years, I think I'd pretty much coast as a Chiefs fan the rest of my life. No matter how bad things got, I'd look back to that time as vindication for everything. Look at the Broncos -- they won back-to-back SBs and their fans have lorded it over everyone ever since, acting like they invented the game. We've got no comeback because they have ultimate scoreboard.

I guess if you win 3 of 4, you want to win 4 of 6 or 5 of 7 or whatever. I'd squeal like a little girl if we won one; 3 of 4 would make me feel satiated with sex and gourmet food for the rest of my life. If we had two or three or five down years, I think I could cope just fine. I wouldn't be too worried about reloading.

I'm with you. I have nearly every game of the '03 and '04 seasons on tape (taped 'em live) and have bought all of the various playoff and SB compilations the team has put out. Believe me, I'm going to enjoy all of those on a regular basis my entire life.

This town went 40 years with a football team trending anywhere from god-awful to just mediocre. We went 80-whatever years without a WS win.

I definitely don't take 3/4 SBs for granted.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Broncos? No way. They are a fraud, and will be exposed, soon. I don't know about the Steelers, either. They had the Pats at home and choked to them. We'll see...

2005 Broncos = 1995 Chiefs

siberian khatru
11-08-2005, 12:18 PM

Whoa ... don't bury that here, you better save that for when it can get maximum exposure.

beavis
11-08-2005, 12:22 PM
So do you think anybody is going to win the AFC? Or will the NFC champion just get a bye in the Superbowl?

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 12:25 PM
So do you think anybody is going to win the AFC? Or will the NFC champion just get a bye in the Superbowl?

I think Pittsburgh is the most complete team. Jacksonville looks like a possible darkhorse.

I also happen to think the Chiefs have a chance.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Whoa ... don't bury that here, you better save that for when it can get maximum exposure.

How about this then?

I think the Broncos will finish 13-3 and lose to the Chiefs AT Invesco, on a TD pass to Tony Gonzales...

ChiTown
11-08-2005, 12:27 PM
I also happen to think the Chiefs have a chance.

WTF?

Don't tease me unless you aims to please me :deevee:

siberian khatru
11-08-2005, 12:30 PM
How about this then?

I think the Broncos will finish 13-3 and lose to the Chiefs AT Invesco, on a TD pass to Tony Gonzales...

For me, that would rival Brett off Gossage in 1980.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 12:31 PM
For me, that would rival Brett off Gossage in 1980.

1997 will be avenged.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 12:32 PM
In all seriousness, more than ever in the past, I've not seen ONE team that it head and shoulders better than the rest.

No, the Chiefs aren't great. But nobody else is either. That's why we have a chance.

ck_IN
11-08-2005, 12:36 PM
<i>I was pretty pissed when they went for 2 with under 6 minutes to play and up by 20.
That's just poor sportsmanship.</i>

They were up by 19 and they went for two to try and make it 21. Nothing wrong there.

I haven't heard anything here in Indy about such a Polian quote. I would expect it would be seen somewhere in the Indy star or the local media.

The real question for me is why was Flutie passing in the first place? The game was over, there was no reason to be running around and passing. Hand the ball off or take a knee and end the game.

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 12:38 PM
The real question for me is why was Flutie passing in the first place? The game was over, there was no reason to be running around and passing. Hand the ball off or take a knee and end the game.

I agree it's weird. Two guesses:

1. BB was using the plays kind of like "live" practice for a QB who hasnt' seen any time this year. The more "real" plays he runs, the better prepared he would be if something happened to Brady. OTOH, we're talking about Doug Flutie, who has eons of experience behind him. I guess maybe getting the rust off isn't a terrible idea...?

2. BB was showing his displeasure with his team by making it work to the very last snap. No "easy kneel downs" for them after such a pathetic performance.

Those are my only guesses. :shrug:

ck_IN
11-08-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm guessing it was option 2. BB appeared quite PO'd when he did the challenge. There was clearly nothing to challenge but I have to think he did it to make some kind of point.

I can respect making a point to your team but having Flutie running around till the last tick just risks more injuries for both teams. That can't be a win for anyone.

tk13
11-08-2005, 01:08 PM
I don't get this, I would love to have their defense. They probably will not go undefeated that is too hard too accomplish in the NFL these days, but I doubt anyone is going to derail their Super Bowl express.
If we play them, we will violate their defense. You watch. Having seen most of their games I'm still not convinced they can stop a true power running game. Cincy/Pitt/Denver/KC all have the ability to come hit you in the mouth and control the clock...you have to do that against them. They've got speed but they do miss some tackles and play all zone. I can see them bouncing off LJ as he runs right through them, and Gonzalez being able to run free through their zone.

Mr. Kotter
11-08-2005, 01:11 PM
If we play them, we will violate their defense. You watch. Having seen most of their games I'm still not convinced they can stop a true power running game. Cincy/Pitt/Denver/KC all have the ability to come hit you in the mouth and control the clock...you have to do that against them. They've got speed but they do miss some tackles and play all zone. I can see them bouncing off LJ as he runs right through them, and Gonzalez being able to run free through their zone.

I agree, although I still think they are very, very good.

Logical
11-08-2005, 01:23 PM
If we play them, we will violate their defense. You watch. Having seen most of their games I'm still not convinced they can stop a true power running game. Cincy/Pitt/Denver/KC all have the ability to come hit you in the mouth and control the clock...you have to do that against them. They've got speed but they do miss some tackles and play all zone. I can see them bouncing off LJ as he runs right through them, and Gonzalez being able to run free through their zone.I would hope you are correct but unless Roaf comes back I have no faith in our ability to run that type of offense.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 01:24 PM
I would hope you are correct but unless Roaf comes back I have no faith in our ability to run that type of offense.

We can run that type of offense without Roaf. The problem is our coaches. They'd rather run the deep pitches and stretch plays -- THAT is what doesn't work without Roaf.

ck_IN
11-08-2005, 01:53 PM
<i>If we play them, we will violate their defense. You watch. Having seen most of their games I'm still not convinced they can stop a true power running game. Cincy/Pitt/Denver/KC all have the ability to come hit you in the mouth and control the clock...you have to do that against them. They've got speed but they do miss some tackles and play all zone. I can see them bouncing off LJ as he runs right through them, and Gonzalez being able to run free through their zone.</i>

Actually you've got it backwards. The way to beat the Colts is with 3/5 step drops and hitting underneath routes. Wash, rinse and repeat untill the safety's move up then pop a deep post.

The Colts do pretty well against the run, but their entire pass defense is predicated on getting to the QB. Take that away and you can pick their CB's apart. The safety's are vicious headhunters but the CB's are weak in coverage. Get a WR 1-1 with either CB and you should win.

HolmeZz
11-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Atleast he didn't pull a King Carl and put his first through a glass window.

htismaqe
11-08-2005, 01:56 PM
<i>If we play them, we will violate their defense. You watch. Having seen most of their games I'm still not convinced they can stop a true power running game. Cincy/Pitt/Denver/KC all have the ability to come hit you in the mouth and control the clock...you have to do that against them. They've got speed but they do miss some tackles and play all zone. I can see them bouncing off LJ as he runs right through them, and Gonzalez being able to run free through their zone.</i>

Actually you've got it backwards. The way to beat the Colts is with 3/5 step drops and hitting underneath routes. Wash, rinse and repeat untill the safety's move up then pop a deep post.

The Colts do pretty well against the run, but their entire pass defense is predicated on getting to the QB. Take that away and you can pick their CB's apart. The safety's are vicious headhunters but the CB's are weak in coverage. Get a WR 1-1 with either CB and you should win.

I think they do well against a finesse running game because they're so frickin fast to the edge.

But I'm still not convinced they could stop a Steelers-type offense...

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 01:56 PM

You gotta be kidding me. The Pats are among the best int he league at quick drops and hitting underneath routes, including screen passes. And we didn't fare all that well on them. This type of offense also does not really target CBs all that much.

Amnorix
11-08-2005, 01:57 PM
I think they do well against a finesse running game because they're so frickin fast to the edge.

But I'm still not convinced they could stop a Steelers-type offense...

Agreed 100%.

ck_IN
11-08-2005, 02:03 PM
We'll find out in about 3 weeks when they play Pittsburgh. Cory Simon had given them a big boost in the middle. I'll agree that they won't stop a power runner on 3rd and 1, but first you've got to get to 3rd and 1. Their speed will prevent that in many cases.

Actually Amnorix you guys did pretty well with that dink and dunk stuff. The screen was there anytime you tried it. The problem was you had no running game and outside of the first drive Brady never really went deep again.